Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm here too! I'll just take this one as well in case I can think of anything to do with it/need it for something!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Digimon World 1 is a Bad Game.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Or alternatively send me a PM about it and I'll try to guide him toward it secretly. I've already looked up which Digimon are in the game for this exact purpose, so that wouldn't be spoiling something for me.

e: vv Actually I like doing it this way better. Having some mystery goals to work toward will be fun!

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 30, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

mateo360 posted:

Because it is relevant: Have some pictures of the 15th anniversary Tag and Crest set

I was super jealous in the Digimon thread. I still am now.

That thing is super rad.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Fair warning though, the group who did most of the Digimon subs is...less than optimal.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I remember loving the hell out of DW 2. I haven't played it since it came out, so it may be nostalgia, but I'm probably going to do a side-video or two on it at some point.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Nope. Gennai is just a weird data-man, much like myself.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It's not even the last time in Adventure.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

We have excellent PPSSPP (unless this has been archived?) and Retro Games threads where you can talk about that stuff freely with people more knowledgeable than us anyway.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Didn't Metal Gear Solid keep that even when it came over here?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

nehezir posted:

-On Digitorin.

I'm no expert but I think the generic japanese word for bird is "tori" and one of the ways the like to nickname cute things is to attach to or replace the end syllable to the tune of -in( pronounced like "eeen"). I've seen it in a few things.

Again, no language authority, just a weeb.

More or less. For someone who has studied Japanese for as long as I have it took me an embarassingly long time to remember how to say "bird". :(

The -in, or just -n, is pretty common for nicknames. In reality it's whatever sounds cute/whatever the person likes more that sticks as a nickname.

I just watched a video the other day that explained it really well, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. I'll post it if it ever shows up for me again.

e:

Another Person posted:

Mikey can actually read Japanese (and speak), so he is likely to point cool things like that out every now and then. Any cool translation things anyone can spot though that might not get noticed by me or mikey, if you notice it, mention it in here. Cool stuff like that interests me.

It should be noted though that I've never seen the original Japanese for this game, so unless it's apparent in the translation there will probably be Japaneseisms I'll miss, especially if they were diligent in their localization.

Also AP grossly overestimates my Japanese ability.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 31, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

I'm confused by the fact the DemiDevimon was using its Japanese name of PicoDevimon while Candlemon is using its dub name when, if we're going by the original Japanese names, it should be Candmon. Also, that is DemiMeramon of Candlemon's head or PetiMeramon if we're going by original names.

If I were to take a wild guess I would say they just picked whichever sounded better to them. In the case of digi-names, it seems like a reasonable loc decision.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Another Person posted:

Okay, there is a single spoiler I want to know. Is Kumamon in this game?

He is not.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It was originally going to be a series that was slated to start months ago.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

And then there's one of my favorite representations of Agumon:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

nehezir posted:

Yeah, You could actually make some pretty hardcore shows out of that stuff.

I don't know why, but this statement gave me Digital Monster X-Evolution flashbacks.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

AP and I are having a disagreement about the sound quality of this latest video. Please help us find the truth of the situation.

http://strawpoll.me/5119050

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I will make Rocky the list. Mach Jab; best move.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Slime posted:

I like to imagine that Mikey was utterly miserable during that whole sequence, and that's why he busted out two finishers in the same fight. And then those assholes went and had a long conversation right afterwards, making him wait even longer before he could go to the bathroom.

This could also be true for the non-Agumon mikey at that point in the recording.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I'm like 99% sure you aren't supposed to be able to do anything beyond guess at 3D Ghost Leg.

The machine even says "LOTTO" on it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

MissileWaster posted:

I got pretty decent at that one, offense, and defense. I get too twitchy on Speed and usually gently caress it up.

Oh well I guess it was either what I said or AP just being bad at the game. Good to have confirmation on which it was though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I made some power plays.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Not sure if that'll fit in the input box, but I definitely put it on the list!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I don't approve of any wrestling references, TBH.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I will hold my audio files hostage if that happens. I swear I will.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Wrestling is very lame. It's also dumb and poorly written and lastly the worst.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

What he means to say is that this game is what DW 1 would be if it wasn't a flaming pile of terrible garbage.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Wapole Languray posted:

It's just full of so many big chunks of content hidden behind so many cryptic layers, I've never seen a game like it since.

I think there's a very good reason why there's never been another game like it, besides the one we're playing.

Now, if you want an actual good game with tons of content hidden behind obtuse, cryptic layers, you should go play one of Yasumi Matsuno's games.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I mean, maybe I am being too harsh (I'm not though) but to call that thing a masterpiece is taking it even farther in the opposite direction.

Some people here have some serious DW1 Stockholm Syndrome.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

It's a Jackson Pollock masterpiece

The thing is, I can completely understand how a Pollock could be interpreted and seen as a priceless masterpiece, even though it's just unintelligible paint dribblings.

I would say that this particular unintelligible mess is more like a "Jacksom Pollump Marsterpiece," if that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Another Person posted:

e; also jackson pollock is beautiful stuff don't diss

I like Pollock and think it's good, which is why I was adverse to comparing DW1 to his work when it's more apt to compare it to the work of a middle school art student who read his name in a book once.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I do not care if it is recognized as art after I am dead, so long as it isn't while I still breathe.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The thing about the schoolyard rumor thing is that lots of Japanese games at and before that time period were designed to encourage that kind of rumormilling. It's just that lots of them were adventure games and/or didn't come west. So DW1 isn't particularly unique in that regard.

The Retro Game Challenge games do a pretty good job of calling back to this, actually. Particularly in the (surprise) adventure game segment (which we didn't get to in our stream, unfortunately).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

But that doesn't at all play into the questions of if it's a good game today and if it holds up in the scope of the games for that platform that we have available to us now.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Despite our disagreements on if that Bad Game is bad (it still is bad), I have a present for you, thread.

A Bonus Episode!

Please enjoy.

Episode 6.5 "Digimon World 2"

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 18, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Hey I actually like 02! :mad:

Yes the writing had issues, most notably the epilogue, but the concepts it introduced like the Armor level and Jogress/DNA Digivolution were unique and are still part of the franchise to this day with the latter (or at least the 02 version of it, long story) being the basis for DigiXros/DigiFuse generations later.

DNA and Armor are the only two good things about 02. Everything else can and should be forgotten.

The Door Frame posted:

Oh God, that interface! Make it stop. I forgive DW1 for any gui gripes I may have had, just as long as it isn't THAT

Yeah...the gui is pretty dated. It's pretty ugly.

As for the video itself, is there anything in particular you guys thing I should do to the big black bars on the left and right? I feel like there should be something there, but everything I played with looked terrrrrible.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Another Person posted:

Oh, now this is a bad game. This game sucks.

You're not getting a rise out of me. Unlike some people I'm capable of admitting that a game I liked as a child isn't very good.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I fixed the audio for DW2 and reuploaded it. Here's the new and improved version! With bonus cosplay as an apology.

Episode 6.5 - Digimon World 2

I'll also go back and fix my old link and have AP update the OP ASAP.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

cut out of the video the ones that give junk

code:
$ cut\ video

cut video: command not found

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I actually didn't realise there was a New Game + until just now. This could be interesting.

From what I've seen, there isn't actually anything to the NG+ in this game, like...at all.

Decode has a bunch of extra stuff apparently, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That said, I don't see a problem with just doing them in order. We can pretend we're being informative that way, even.

• Locked thread