Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy
[AC:14] [HP:28/28] [Hit Dice: 2d8]

"I saw the same thing. I got your back if you go, I can be sneaky, too," Daisy says to Philesos, then turns to include everyone. "It may just be people that are scared of us. I don't think a ship has come here in a long, long while. Maybe we should call out to them, let them know we come in peace?"

--------------
Crossbow bolts: 20(0 used)
Second Wind: unused
Action Surge: unused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Mane Nurlar, Servant of Light and Life

Once we are alongside the dock, I'm using Divine Sense (3/4 remaining): I know the location and type of any celestial, fiend, or undead within 60 feet who is not behind total cover.

You detect a faint.. fiend-ish presence. Though hidden in the shadows of the boathouse, the being glows like a candle to your senses. Small, but nonetheless there.

Probably you will want to stall or forewarn your scouts: a Religion check might tell you more about what manner of being it is; Insight check might tell you the creature's disposition/intentions.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

HP:38/38
AC: 19 17
Action Surge: 1/1
Divine Sense: 3/4
Lay On Hands: 10/10
Second Wind: 1/1
Spell Slots/Divine Smite: 2/2

"Hold!" Mane hisses as his companions prepare to debark and investigate the boathouse. "What you perceive is no merely mortal creature, skulking about in the shadows out of fright. No --- it is a thing born of the Darkness!" He draws his greatsword and places himself at the gunwale of the boat, between it and his unsuspecting companions. Casting his memory back to his training, vague recollections of Master Inquisitor Plutarch's vivid descriptions of the twisted hierarchy of the Spawn bubble to the fore of his consciousness.

Insight is unnecessary -- if it's a fiend, its disposition/intentions are evil. Religion sounds good though: Fiend or Foe?: 1d20+3 13. Hmm...

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

"Really now?" Daisy muses. She draws her crossbow from her back and loads a bolt. "Let's see if I can draw it into the open." She looses a bolt at the spot where she saw movement.

The aim is not so much to hit the target as to get some sort of reaction. Still rolling an attack, assuming disadvantage.

"I shoot the Darkness!": 2d20l1+4 6

--------------
Crossbow bolts: 19(+1 used this encounter)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
AC: 14
HP: 33/33
Hit Dice: 1d8+2, 1d8+2
Inspiration: 0
Second Wind: Available
Action Surge: Available
"That's a bit rash", Philesos mutters to himself.

He brings out his spear, limbers up a bit and takes position next to Daisy.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:siren: For brevity's sake, if I spoiler something to your character and you're like "I'd just tell everyone that" you can just say that. Or else quote the spoiler and mention which specific person/people you're telling.

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Insight is unnecessary -- if it's a fiend, its disposition/intentions are evil. Religion sounds good though: Fiend or Foe?: 1d20+3 13. Hmm...

Racist :colbert:

Mane: Your senses tell you the creature is probably some kind of half-blood. Coming from the west, you've come across creatures that detect in a similar fashion -- namely, tieflings. This one seems somehow different, but you could chalk that up to the fact that you have no idea who or what really lives on this continent. Judging by the size, you suspect it might be a child.

[Mechanical note]: I doubt Divine Sense is supposed to work this way but I figure this is a lot more interesting use of your ability than "nothing happens." Also, this is ~DM Empowerment Edition™~ and we're winging it, so w/e.

As the warning shot is fired off into the darkness, you hear a report as it strikes the wooden interior of the building, followed shortly thereafter by a high-pitched squeal -- distinctly humanoid in nature.

WHAT DO YOU DO??

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
Philesos is going to put his spear away and sprint up ahead toward the building. He wants to get there quickly to assist, but he also wants to look non-threatening, so he will put his hands up the whole time he's running.

Making what I think should be appropriate rolls to cut down on back-and-forth if you think I'll need one. Feel free to disregard if they're not necessary for one reason or another.

Athletics to run quickly: 1d20+6=8
Performance to make the ploy look good: 1d20+2=17 (not Deception since I'm being sincere in my desire to help)

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

Daisy cocks an eyebrow at Mane as she reloads her crossbow and the scout rushes out. "Darkness thing, huh? Whatever you say, champ."

Daisy aims at the source of the sound again, but holds her shot for now.

--------------

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Philesos, the Harrier

Philesos is going to put his spear away and sprint up ahead toward the building. He wants to get there quickly to assist, but he also wants to look non-threatening, so he will put his hands up the whole time he's running.

Making what I think should be appropriate rolls to cut down on back-and-forth if you think I'll need one. Feel free to disregard if they're not necessary for one reason or another.

Athletics to run quickly: 1d20+6=8
Performance to make the ploy look good: 1d20+2=17 (not Deception since I'm being sincere in my desire to help)

Phil apparently doesn't run so good. Feet clip-clopping along the rickety dock-boards, he trips up and smashes his head on a post and diesfalls face first. Luckily, his outstretched arms are perfectly primed to dampen the fall, preventing him from sustaining any serious injury. Phlesos is currently prone.

Perhaps because of the fall, perhaps not, a small chuckle comes from inside the boathouse. Something scampers up to the opening of the building (roughly the width of the dock, probably 15 feet), and peeks its head out.

Pick your favourite language and parley! Or not, whatever y'all wanna try.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

HP:38/38
AC: 19 17
Action Surge: 1/1
Divine Sense: 3/4
Lay On Hands: 10/10
Second Wind: 1/1
Spell Slots/Divine Smite: 2/2

Only half-Fiendish? The implications of that are disturbing. Who knows what manner of evil was inflicted upon an innocent to result in that state of affairs? For that reason, Mane concedes, perhaps the creature deserved a chance -- at least, the mortal half did. Speaking Infernal -- what might be the creature's native tongue, for all he knows -- Mane shouts, "Come forward! If you do not desire evil, you shall not be harmed!" He sheathes his greatsword and steps onto the dock, in a display of his beneficent nature.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

Daisy enjoys a giggle at Philesos' expense. Seeing Mane attempt diplomacy, she averts her crossbow.

--------------

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:

Condition: Prone
Phil holds steady on the ground, watching how this plays out between the stranger and Mane.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Speaking Infernal -- what might be the creature's native tongue, for all he knows -- Mane shouts, "Come forward! If you do not desire evil, you shall not be harmed!" He sheathes his greatsword and steps onto the dock, in a display of his beneficent nature.

You see the clearly-tiefling child (aside from atypical dark markings around the eyes) slowly tiptoe out from around the corner, glancing in the direction of Mane, then at Philesos. The young girl takes a knee near the prone soldier and offers a hand, to help him up. She wears a tattered and dirty robe with sashes that cross her shoulders and drape down the front of her body.

[Infernal], presumably directed at Phil, but within earshot of everyone: "Please, tell them not to shoot; I mean no harm... Such strange visitors you all are. You're not like other sailors I've seen -- and they never speak our tongue, either. Where have you come from?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
Phil gets up slowly and deliberately. He does not speak Infernal so he doesn't understand what's being told him, but the child's body language (and the fact that she's a child) makes it clear that she's no real threat.

Just to make it clear, he turns half-way around and waves off everyone else.

He then whips out his harmonics and tries to play a tune for lack of any other way to communicate with her, but he's out of tune today.

Hum a few bars: 1d20+2=5

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
What is the subject matter of the song Phil is playing? :v: You can pick a real-life song and link me some lyrics, or just be like "it's a peppy, Irish drinking song!" for example.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Phil tries playing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biXoPv3Yp4o :clint:

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

"Alas, we do not all speak your tongue. I believe I am the only one of my comrades who does so, but I am willing to share your words with them." Turning to the others, he says, "It does not wish to harm us. It thinks we are strange visitors, unlike the other sailors it has seen who do not speak its tongue."

Turning back to the child, he asks, "You say there are more of you?" After pausing for the child's answer, so as not to harangue it with a barrage of questions, Mane continues, "We are from a far-away land; what sorts of sailors do you usually see?" As he is speaking, he sets down his pack and pulls his censer from within. Dangling it by its chain, he swings it back and forth before offering it to the child. "Have you seen one of these before? I didn't bring much with me, but if you'd like a shiny toy to play with, you may have it."

Just to be clear, it's a bog standard censer -- though I guess it has been used in Church rituals, it is not particularly blessed or holy or anything, so I'm expecting it will not cause something of a fiendish nature to recoil, even if a Holy Symbol might.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

"Good thing I missed, or this would have been a very awkward first contact," Daisy muses, returning her crossbow to her back and watching Mane speak with the child.

--------------

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

The child perks up and dances a sort of jig, when she hears the tune. She sings along, and in a language Philesos can understand, but... these words are clearly for a slightly different song.
With the performance coming to an end, she addresses Mane.

She's singing this, in the Thieves' Cant language.

TychoBrahesNose posted:

"Alas, we do not all speak your tongue. I believe I am the only one of my comrades who does so, but I am willing to share your words with them." Turning to the others, he says, "It does not wish to harm us. It thinks we are strange visitors, unlike the other sailors it has seen who do not speak its tongue."

Turning back to the child, he asks, "You say there are more of you?" After pausing for the child's answer, so as not to harangue it with a barrage of questions, Mane continues, "We are from a far-away land; what sorts of sailors do you usually see?" As he is speaking, he sets down his pack and pulls his censer from within. Dangling it by its chain, he swings it back and forth before offering it to the child. "Have you seen one of these before? I didn't bring much with me, but if you'd like a shiny toy to play with, you may have it."

The child clams up when asked about herself. You all get the vibe like she isn't supposed to tell strangers/she isn't supposed to be here to begin with -- innocent kid stuff.

[Infernal]: "Sailors.. usually they are human. Not many ever come here. Those who wander inland find trouble.. Why are you here?" she answers, taking the trinket, regarding it and rubbing it between her thumb and fingers. She shakes her head clearly not recognizing it, and politely offering it back to Mane. She peeks up, hopping, trying to see the others on the boat assuming any of you are still up there, otherwise the boat will be leaving imminently..

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Kavthaenag Stonelimb Goanamovuth
Barbarian 1 / Paladin 1

As the child sings and dances, Kavthaenag lets out a hearty laugh. "I did not imagine we would be welcomed to these shores by such a greeting!" Visibly relaxing, he walks up behind Mane with a smile on his face. "Kavthaenag Stonelimb Goanamovuth," he says, pointing to himself.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
"My dear, how do you know how speak our Cant?", Philesos asks.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

Daisy takes a few moments to say goodbye to her siblings, then steps onto the dock, giving the child an apologetic smile and a wave when she catches her eye.

--------------

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

"As for us, we have come here for many reasons," Mane replies circumspectly, but I have come mostly to learn about this place and to share with my...family back home what I learn. Have your parents told you what happens to those who travel inland? Or have you seen for yourself? What sort of trouble do they find?" After the goliath introduces himself, Mane adds, "And I am Mane Nurlar; what is your name?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

As the child sings and dances, Kavthaenag lets out a hearty laugh. "I did not imagine we would be welcomed to these shores by such a greeting!" Visibly relaxing, he walks up behind Mane with a smile on his face. "Kavthaenag Stonelimb Goanamovuth," he says, pointing to himself.

The girl points to herself and says "Lykaia"

Werewhale posted:

Daisy takes a few moments to say goodbye to her siblings, then steps onto the dock, giving the child an apologetic smile and a wave when she catches her eye.

Daisy can speak with and understand the girl in Thieves' Cant (i.e. anything she says to Phil, Daisy will know). Although if she doesn't want to give that away, that's cool too.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Philesos, the Harrier

"My dear, how do you know how speak our Cant?", Philesos asks.

"We -- my people -- all know the Cant, it has been passed down for generations and generations. I don't remember anyone else having understood it; sometimes traders will hear us speak it but think nothing of it."

TychoBrahesNose posted:

"Have your parents told you what happens to those who travel inland? Or have you seen for yourself? What sort of trouble do they find?"

The girl gives the following information:

To the North is the Burndwood. "Some say when badmen came here, they made the fire. "
To the South is the Spoillake. "Some say there used to be dragonmans, living in it, but it's poison now."
To the Southwest, is the Bloodbeach. "Some say fishmans come from the sea and eat you, there."
To the East, past "home," is the Ruinstone. "Some say it was a castle, but orcs wrecked it."

She shivers as she mentions each one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
Phil quietly approaches each of his partymates in turn to ask what they've been able to find out. For his part, he does share that the girl, and her whole community, knows the Thieves' Cant, although he qualifies that by saying it could mean any number of things.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jack
AC: 20 | HP: 39/39 | Hit Dice: 1d8+3, 1d8+3
Ki: 2/2 | Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1

Jack takes a swig of rum before ambling down the plank. He looks about, but doesn't speak whatever it is the girl is speaking so he has no idea what is going on except some of his new companions are conversion with demon girls.

He thinks about this for a moment, then takes another swig of rum.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Mane dutifully repeats everything that the child says:
To the North is the Burndwood. "Some say when badmen came here, they made the fire. "
To the South is the Spoillake. "Some say there used to be dragonmans, living in it, but it's poison now."
To the Southwest, is the Bloodbeach. "Some say fishmans come from the sea and eat you, there."
To the East, past "home," is the Ruinstone. "Some say it was a castle, but orcs wrecked it."

Once he finishes relating her words to the others, he adds, "Perhaps we should go to this 'home' of theirs and speak to the others of her ilk?". Finally, he turns back to the girl and says, "Thank you Lykaia, that is most helpful."

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 21, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
"I agree, Mane. That sounds like quite a number of potential troubles for us to be walking into without first coordinating with people that could help us"

Phil also thanks Lykaia.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

"Couldn't have said it better myself, Mane," Daisy says. To the child, she says, in Cant: "Sorry for shooting at you, by the way. I thought something scary was hiding in the darkness, but you're just a little sweetie!"

Before they go anywhere, Daisy will go to fetch the bolt she shot.

--------------

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Barbarian 1 / Paladin 1

Kavthaenag nods approvingly. "Even if her people do not help us, that takes us in the direction of this 'Ruinstone'. Perhaps we can learn more about the original inhabitants of this land there."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Your new friend gives a :tipshat: to all of you and an extra :buddy: to Daisy.

She explains that "home" is not very far but... don't expect a warm reception.

pulling numbers completely out of my rear end, let's say it's (at most) 3 days to Lykaia's settlement.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
Philesos volunteers to be advanced scout, ahead of the rest of the party.

Let me know if I should roll for anything. My intent is that if and when I run into "anything interesting", I will go back and inform the others.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Alright, put yourselves in some kind of general marching order. :getin:

If you're using a skill, roll it!

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

As they set off, Daisy hops into the house she shot up and manages to wiggle the bolt out of a beam of rotten wood. (1 bolt recovered)

"I'm a decent scout, too. I'll back you up," Daisy replies to Philesos. To the girl, she says(in Cant): "Oh by the way, I'm Daisy, glad to meet you!"

Ranging ahead with Philesos. Rolling Stealth and Perception: Stealth 1d20+6 22 Perception 1d20+4 10

We're travelling with the girl, right? When we make camp, I want to ask her (Cant)"Hey you know this place, right? Surely you know a story about what happened here, or about people who lived here? I'll tell you a story if you tell me one!" Basically fishing for clues about the history of this place.

--------------
Crossbow bolts: 20

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 22, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jack
AC: 20 | HP: 39/39 | Hit Dice: 1d8+3, 1d8+3
Ki: 2/2 | Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1

Jack drinks some more rum before following the others, he keeps a careful watch and tries to avoid making any noise. But he may have hit the flask a bit too hard, or more likely his sea legs haven't gotten acclimated to the non heaving land.

Stealth and Perception 1d20+7 13 Stealth and 1d20+6 25 Perception

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Romero Palmer
[AC:17] [HP: 36/36] [SD: 4/4d8] [SW: 1/1d10+2]
[HD: 2/2d10+2] [AS: 1/1]

Palmer stays in the middle of the pack, and ponders the Burndwood. Nothing useful comes to mind.

history of burndwood: 1d20+4 5

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
Athletics to range ahead and put some distance between him and the rest of the party for more advanced warning, Survival to spot any tracks and maneuver through any bad terrain

Athletics: 1d20+6=11
Survival: 1d20+4=24

Average result on the Athletics, but the Survival is a nat 20!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Werewhale posted:

Daisy

We're travelling with the girl, right? When we make camp, I want to ask her (Cant)"Hey you know this place, right? Surely you know a story about what happened here, or about people who lived here? I'll tell you a story if you tell me one!" Basically fishing for clues about the history of this place.

Daisy stays well-hidden and quiet throughout the journey.

[Thieves' Cant]: "There used to be mens where we live now, but they all left a long long time ago. Off onto boats, mostly. It was after the forest got burnted. Some people said that mur-sun-ARES came from the... horseplace? They made a fight, and then the fire got started cuz someone made 'splosions."

Not trying to make the kid come off as dumb/super young, just bad with words/it doesn't all translate 100% Feel free to ask more specific stuff, but her knowledge will be limited.

Edit: but you better tell her a drat good story :colbert:

Ryuujin posted:

Jack

Stealth and Perception 1d20+7 13 Stealth and 1d20+6 25 Perception

gradenko_2000 posted:

Philesos, the Harrier

Athletics to range ahead and put some distance between him and the rest of the party for more advanced warning, Survival to spot any tracks and maneuver through any bad terrain

Athletics: 1d20+6=11
Survival: 1d20+4=24

There's not much to the docks; it's apparent that anything of value that wasn't bolted down (and even some that was) has been raided, scavenged, and ripped out, time and again over the ages.
The girl is leading you along what was once a well-built and maintained road. It seems time and weather (and a lack of upkeep) have run it down over the ages, moreso than any foot traffic. Indeed, you can tell that this road has not seen steady use in quite some time. Treelines trace the road, to the north and south; it's apparent that this was a commercial road, and judging by the forest, you guess it primarly was a logging road, at least at some point in history. The foliage along the road is quite thick, leading you to believe that it has been quite some time since any serious logging activity has gone on in this area. Curiously, there seem to be old, worn paths here and there on the north side (heading into the trees) but none to the south. You also can't see any burned-looking woods to the north, from where you are on the road.

slydingdoor posted:

Romero Palmer

Palmer stays in the middle of the pack, and ponders the Burndwood. Nothing useful comes to mind.

history of burndwood: 1d20+4 5

The truth gnaws at the edge of your brain, some tiny scrap of information like a missing puzzle piece. Something about "cleansing flames" ...?

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 23, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Mane takes up a position at the front of the main group as they march, following along behind their advance scout(s). He makes small talk with the child, hoping to learn more about her family and their settlement. In any case, his companions seem to be gaining more information from her using whatever curious language it is that she speaks in addition to the Tongue of the Fiends.

Trying to get the kid to open up about what we might be walking into: Persuasion (Charisma): 1d20+3 10
Also watching out for danger: Perception (Wisdom): 1d20+2 5. I pretty much notice the back of Phil's head occasionally.

Are the rest of you sharing what the kid said? If so, I'm trying to recall anything I learned previously about mercenaries from horseplaces and their capacity to make explosions. History (Intelligence): 1d20+1 9. Probably it doesn't matter whether you tell me what she said or not, since I likely recalled little or nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

P.d0t posted:

Edit: but you better tell her a drat good story :colbert:

Daisy hides her disappointment. She had hoped for something more substantial. But a deal was a deal, she supposed...

[Thieves' Cant]"Well, once there was a princess, about your age, with long golden hair, who lived in a beautiful castle..." She spins a tale about a princess living with an evil king who kept her locked in the tower. One day, she sees from her window, a handsome boy from the chantry. They sing to each other and fall in love, the king finds out and tries to have the boy killed, but the princess tricks her evil father so that he has to let both of them go and they lived happily ever after.

Yeah, Daisy will share that bit. "There used to be people here, but they left a long time ago, sometime after the forest got scorched. That fire seems to have started from some explosions made by mercenaries from what she calls the horseplace. Hopefully her people have more detailed accounts."

--------------
Crossbow bolts: 20

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 23, 2015

• Locked thread