Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Kavthaenag Stonelimb Goanamovuth
Barbarian 1 / Paladin 1

AC: 17 | HP: 40/40 | Hit Dice: 1d12, 1d10
Rage: 2/2 | Lay on Hands: 5HP

Kavthaenag brings up the rear as Lykaia leads them down the road, and promptly starts annoying the others by periodically asking the others to translate inane questions for the little girl.

"Ah! Ask her what is her favorite color!"
"Does she have a best friend? What sort of games do they play?"
"Ask her what she wants to do when she gets older!"

In between rounds of small-talk-by-proxy, he watches behind them periodically to see if anything is following them.

Perception - Traveling with Lykaia: 1d20+3 17

-------------------------------------------------
Stone's Endurance: 1/1
Second Wind: 1/1
Divine Sense: 2/2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Mane Nurlar, Servant of Light and Life

He makes small talk with the child, hoping to learn more about her family and their settlement. In any case, his companions seem to be gaining more information from her using whatever curious language it is that she speaks in addition to the Tongue of the Fiends.

Trying to get the kid to open up about what we might be walking into: Persuasion (Charisma): 1d20+3 10
Also watching out for danger: Perception (Wisdom): 1d20+2 5. I pretty much notice the back of Phil's head occasionally.

I'm trying to recall anything I learned previously about mercenaries from horseplaces and their capacity to make explosions. History (Intelligence): 1d20+1 9. Probably it doesn't matter whether you tell me what she said or not, since I likely recalled little or nothing.

Between Mane and Romero, you're able to piece some things together, just barely:
  • You don't recall anyone back home having referred to the Sapphire Guard as "mercenaries." That's not to say that the people here didn't consider them as such..
  • A study of their military tactics showed a history of using incendiaries and accelerants. Sometimes to hold off attackers with walls of fire, other times to simply burn down villages deemed "impure."

Through conversing more with Lykaia, you all manage to sift out that the "mens" (i.e. humans) used to live on the surface, but her people live in the underground of the settlement. Her father can probably provide more history once you reach town, she adds.

Werewhale posted:

Daisy

Daisy hides her disappointment. She had hoped for something more substantial. But a deal was a deal, she supposed...

[Thieves' Cant]"Well, once there was a princess, about your age, with long golden hair, who lived in a beautiful castle..." She spins a tale about a princess living with an evil king who kept her locked in the tower. One day, she sees from her window, a handsome boy from the chantry. They sing to each other and fall in love, the king finds out and tries to have the boy killed, but the princess tricks her evil father so that he has to let both of them go and they lived happily ever after.

Lykaia claps and hoots and clearly loves this story. Since presumably you're all translating for each other by now, she says that she has heard some princess stories, too. "A beautiful High Elf princess lived in the Ruinstone Castle. She was engaged to an evil Duke, a very mean and jealous man. But the princess loved the boy who worked at the horseplace, so they ran away together... My momma says it has a very sad ending, but we haven't gotten that far yet. She says it's the Longest Story Ever™"

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Kavthaenag brings up the rear as Lykaia leads them down the road, and promptly starts annoying the others by periodically asking the others to translate inane questions for the little girl.

"Ah! Ask her what is her favorite color!"
"Does she have a best friend? What sort of games do they play?"
"Ask her what she wants to do when she gets older!"

In between rounds of small-talk-by-proxy, he watches behind them periodically to see if anything is following them.

Perception - Traveling with Lykaia: 1d20+3 17

Behind you seems to be clear; you haven't noticed any signs of humanoids or other sentient life since you landed. The forests seem to even be devoid of any of the typical wildlife sounds you would expect; perhaps they don't stray too near to the road, is all?

Lykaia: "My favourite colour is blue! When I grow up, I want to fix the sky so it will be blue again; my dad says it used to be blue, but I never saw it be that colour." (canadian spelling, ITT :stonk:)
She points up to the cloud as she says this. You notice that while near the coast, you saw that it was grey, but it seems to get darker and darker towards the interior of the continent, becoming black somewhere far off in the distance.

"No one's really sure how the sky got broken. Dragonmans believed... uhm, that mens made nature angry? Or something?" :shrug: :confused:

She mentions that she has a few friends her age; they mostly like to "play parkour" or "hide and seek."
I hate coming up with names, so if you want to pick a name for her best friend, go bananas! :v:

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy
[AC:14] [HP:28/28] [Hit Dice: 2d8]

[In Cant, but translating]"A princess, a Duke... Was there a kingdom here, or perhaps an empire? Any civilized society, with cities and castles? Are there a lot of ruins around? I hope you don't mind we're asking so many questions, we are just very interested in this place and you are a great guide."

--------------
Crossbow bolts: 20
Second Wind: unused
Action Surge: unused

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
AC: 14
HP: 33/33
Hit Dice: 1d8+2, 1d8+2
Inspiration: 0
Second Wind: Available
Action Surge: Available
Phil pauses at Lykaia's story. He feels an intense sense of deja vu, as if he'd heard that story before, but as someone else, in a different time and place.

He shakes it off and goes back to ranging ahead of the group, but not before he hits up Jack for a nip of rum. This place gives me the creeps.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Philesos, the Harrier

Phil pauses at Lykaia's story. He feels an intense sense of deja vu, as if he'd heard that story before, but as someone else, in a different time and place.

He shakes it off and goes back to ranging ahead of the group, but not before he hits up Jack for a nip of rum. This place gives me the creeps.

:thejoke:

Werewhale posted:

Daisy

[In Cant, but translating]"A princess, a Duke... Was there a kingdom here, or perhaps an empire? Any civilized society, with cities and castles? Are there a lot of ruins around? I hope you don't mind we're asking so many questions, we are just very interested in this place and you are a great guide."

"Mens used to be all over most of the Couer-geo, especially the northiest parts. I think the castle was apposed to be where the capitol city... used to be? We don't really know what's left of it, anymore. I guess there was a big warrings, that all happened at once? My dad knows! The south, though... I'm not sure he knows much about what's there; I sure don't know. Aside from the fishmens on the coast.."

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

As the others glean further information from the child, Mane continues to ponder the likely role of the Sapphire Guard in the destruction and depopulation of the area. Recalling what he can of the Sapphire Guard's iconography, Mane sketches whatever sigils he can remember for Lykaia. "Have you ever seen symbols like this before, or has anyone from your family talked about them?"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

TychoBrahesNose posted:

As the others glean further information from the child, Mane continues to ponder the likely role of the Sapphire Guard in the destruction and depopulation of the area. Recalling what he can of the Sapphire Guard's iconography, Mane sketches whatever sigils he can remember for Lykaia. "Have you ever seen symbols like this before, or has anyone from your family talked about them?"

"Yes, yes! Those are the mens! They came to the Burndwood a long time ago, just before it was burninated. They were all over the North, I think, but.... I don't know where they are now? Maybe nowhere; they tried to fight with everyone, wherever they went.."

You get the hunch that Lykaia feels afraid of the Sapphire Guard. Perhaps it's been so long since anyone around here has seen or head of them, that they've faded into myth. Either way, the weight of their deeds hang heavy in the girl's mind, despite being young enough that her family may not have encountered them, personally...

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jack
AC: 20 | HP: 39/39 | Hit Dice: 1d8+3, 1d8+3
Ki: 2/2 | Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1

As the others periodically translate what the child says, and presumably what they say as well, Jack stops to dwell on one word or another. drinksBurninated?[/i] Then he takes another swig of rum. Less mind twisting was the news that some of Mane's people, or something, might be in some burned wood.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
It's not long before the sun begins to set upon your first day in Correggio. The air becomes cool once the light blinks out beyond the horizon.

You continue on for a while, before the darkness becomes all-encompassing. You start to notice the sounds of the forest, which your ears had anticipated during the day, finally start to appear as the night falls.

If you want to continue on, ye huuuumans will need torches. Otherwise you should consider making camp somewhere.
WHAT DO YOU DO??

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Barbarian 1 / Paladin 1

After a day travelling in unnatural silence, the return of ambient sound is welcoming at first and then puzzling. "I do not care for the idea of travelling through a strange land in the dark, particularly not with a child in tow." Looking around, he notices a spot to the side of the road that might make a reasonably defensible place to set down. "My eyes are not as good in the dark as some of you, so I would be willing to take either the first watch or the last."

Looking to Lykaia with a smile, he adds "I am sure Jala would be sad if we did not do our best to keep her friend as safe as possible."

Survival to notice a suitable campsite: 1d20+3 22

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

"Yes, let us make camp. I will take whichever watch the goliath does not."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
Let's see how tired Phil is feeling: Athletics check: 1d20+6=13

I think that's fine. Phil volunteers for first watch.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Barbarian 1 / Paladin 1

After a day travelling in unnatural silence, the return of ambient sound is welcoming at first and then puzzling. "I do not care for the idea of travelling through a strange land in the dark, particularly not with a child in tow." Looking around, he notices a spot to the side of the road that might make a reasonably defensible place to set down. "My eyes are not as good in the dark as some of you, so I would be willing to take either the first watch or the last."

Looking to Lykaia with a smile, he adds "I am sure Jala would be sad if we did not do our best to keep her friend as safe as possible."

Survival to notice a suitable campsite: 1d20+3 22

On the north side of the road, you find a slightly depressed clearing on the other side of an embankment; the area is heavily wooded in a 180° arc from west to north to east (if that makes any sense.)

To the south of the road, the woods are much thinner and do not seem to extend very far at all; there are plenty of small spaces where the trees are far enough apart that you could make a reasonably-sized camp.

Essentially, this is a choice between having a great deal of cover, or being out in the open. Either choice presents advantages and disadvantages to both you and any hostile creatures you might encounter.
Feel free to discuss as a group, and let me know which you decide on.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

"I suggest we camp where we have more cover," Daisy says, indicating the northern side. "Anything that's hunting in the night is going to have better night vision than any of us, so we gain more by having lots of cover than a good view."

--------------

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

"Cover seems better to me as well, though we must be watchful that nothing approaches through the trees. Perhaps we should have two on guard through the night?"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
The DM thirds the motion; I declare the motion passed. :v:

You decide to make camp in the small clearing to the North side. It is heavily wooded, and on the other side of an embankment, from the road.

It looks like Phil, Mane, then Kav for the watch rotation. (assuming I can read; please amend as desired)

Feel free to discuss your plans/intentions for the next day with whomever you would like. Also, describe your sleeping arrangement if you have applicable equipment like bedrolls or tents.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 3, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jack

Jack gives Daisy an incredulous look when she mentions night hunters having better nightvision, then he shrugs, well humans were blind anyway, and takes a swig of rum. "Well if you need me to take a watch let me know before I go to bed. I'll take whatever watch you need."

Then he quite easily walks up a tree, pulls out a bedroll and carefully positions it among the tree limbs, where he then settles in to go to sleep, unless he has a first watch.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

P.d0t posted:

Feel free to discuss your plans/intentions for the next day with whomever you would like. Also, describe your sleeping arrangement if you have applicable equipment like bedrolls or tents.

Mane has a blanket that will serve to keep him warm/off the hard ground. He'll spend some time praying or reading by candlelight before sleeping. During his watch he will have a torch lit that he will try to keep handy but behind him so as not to destroy his dark-adapted (if, sadly, normal human) vision.

If we are going to arrive the next day, then we should come up with a a plan as to what we're going to tell the folks in the Tiefling settlement (other than "We're here to convert all of you godless demon-spawn!" -- not that that's untrue, but even Mane knows it's not likely to actually work). Presumably "We are visitors from a far-away land who wish to explore Correggio," is a reasonable start. The main question I have would be whether or not we bring up the Sapphire Guard of our own accord -- I would say we let them broach the topic, and if they do, then reinforce how bad and evil they are and how we are opposed to their entire ideology and what have you.

If we're not going to arrive the next day, I presume our plan is "keep walking."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Yeah, there's not much reason to drag things out longer; if you guys are just b-lining it for the settlement, we'll say you'll get there within 1 day of travel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
Phil doesn't actually own/have a bedroll, so he's just going to be sleeping on the ground after his watch is over.

I don't really have anything to add between now and until we get to the settlement, unless something happens in the night. I will want to speak to someone about the lay of the surrounding land, if not to try acquire a written map altogether.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

Daisy feels very stupid for not packing a bedroll. I mean, come on, she packed a mirror and a set of dice before a bedroll? Sure, she wasn't used to outdoorsmanship, but...

Grumpy, she makes herself as comfortable as she can using her lumpy pack as a pillow and a spare set of clothes. She puts on a pink nightcap of offensive fluffiness before bidding good night and going to sleep with a dagger up her sleeve, taking a spot close to the semi-demon kid.

Agreed with Mane: We're here to explore, and don't mention the Sapphire Guard, but if they do, then express our negative opinion about them. Only half of us are full humans anyway, so it shouldn't be a hard sell. Daisy is also going to want to fish for information about Wessex and Hudson.

--------------

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Romero Palmer
[AC:17] [HP: 36/36] [SD: 4/4d8] [SW: 1/1d10+2]
[HD: 2/2d10+2] [AS: 1/1]

Palmer chuckles to himself and sleeps soundly in his tent on his bedroll. When his watch comes up and he can't enjoy them anymore anyway he offers the shelter for the rest of the night to Daisy, who looks miserable. More importantly, when someone shoots first and asks questions later you don't want them sleep deprived, and it helps to be on their good side. Chivalry doesn't factor into it. He also wakes up Jack and tells him to do the same for Phil, since he could use the elf's aid keeping the last watch.

I'll take 4th watch and aid Jacks' perception. Even though I'm in my favored terrain it does nothing to help my untrained perception.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

Daisy gives Romero a suspicious look for a moment when he offers his shelter, but even her with her magic nightcap, her sleep had been restless and she was already aching in several places. So she groggily, but gratefully, accepts and disappears into the tent, falling asleep as soon as she lies down.

--------------

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
FWIW, Lykaia will want to stay close to Daisy, too. Even before being offered the use of a tent.

Wordier post will be forthcoming on the weekend, unless I get a head of steam sooner than that.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Barbarian 1 / Paladin 1

No stranger to sleeping in the wilderness, Kavthaenag prepares his bedroll and lays down. "Hopefully tomorrow we can get some answers about what happened to this place. The Sapphire Guard sound like awful people, but I do not understand how they could affect the weather like this or make an entire nation disappear."

Despite his mind racing for answers to these questions, he falls asleep within minutes.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

P.d0t posted:

It looks like Phil, Mane, then Kav for the watch rotation. (assuming I can read; please amend as desired)

slydingdoor posted:

Romero Palmer

When his watch comes up and he can't enjoy them anymore anyway he offers the shelter for the rest of the night to Daisy, who looks miserable. More importantly, when someone shoots first and asks questions later you don't want them sleep deprived, and it helps to be on their good side. Chivalry doesn't factor into it. He also wakes up Jack and tells him to do the same for Phil, since he could use the elf's aid keeping the last watch.

I'll take 4th watch and aid Jacks' perception. Even though I'm in my favored terrain it does nothing to help my untrained perception.
pre:
1st Watch: Phil (12 Passive Perception)
2nd Watch: Mane (12 Passive Perception)
3rd Watch: Kav (13 Passive Perception)
4th Watch: Romero Helps Jack (21 Passive Perception)
One of these things is not like the others :v:

By adventuring standards, the evening passes quietly, in the woods -- and nearly wordlessly amongst the party, too. The sky seems a bit unsettled, though; you hear thunder rumbling sporadically throughout the night, underscored by the occasional flash of dry lightning shooting through the cloud-cover. Oddly, you are spared any rain.

When the 4th watch is up, "Daisy" and Phil are given use of Romero's tent (at least I think this was the intent in Sly's post :shobon:)
With Lykaia eager to stick close to her, it makes for a rather snug arrangement. :glomp:

The Pirate and the Ex-Knight keep a dutiful watch over the camp. The thunder seems to subside during their shift but... something else takes its place; maybe the sound was there all night, but no one else could hear it? From within the forest, there are rumbles, murmurs. Something like a low, pained moaning. Each time you hear one of the sounds, it is several minutes before it is heard again; the intervals appear to be completely random. It's far enough out that you don't think it's anything that can see you, but it's hard to tell which direction the source might be moving, or if it's moving at all.

Sly and Ryuu can ask for more specifics or clarifications; depending on the info you're seeking, I might call for skill checks.
If there are any other actions you wish to take, such as waking any/all of the others, that's cool too.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Nah I told Jack to lend Phil his bedroll. If the sounds are from beasts i get a sick 2d20k1+4 double prof advantage to the nature check.

e; FE NE Nature: 2d20k1+4 10

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 9, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Romero's vast knowledge of various forms of life, aide him in making a determination; the sounds being heard at not those made by beasts.
It sounds humanoid... but why just moans? Why are they not speaking some kind of language? This seems highly irregular.

You will have to investigate the phenomenon further for more info. Alternately, you can use a lifeline, like Phone a Friend©

Since Daisy has been sleeping through the first 3 watches, I'll allow Werewhale to have her wake up and act, if desired.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think Phil would still be asleep at this point?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Romero Palmer

He wakes up everyone quietly, murmurs, "Not beasts. Undead, I think. Let us wait. Too dark to shoot and move, but stay quiet and they might just pass us by. If not, stay behind me. It's not long til dawn, easier to hunt them down then."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Nothing to see here.

Phil stirs in his sleep, unease causing his stomach to churn. In his mind's eye is a vision of black, flickering flames; the sounds of the fire are dulled, against the backdrop of a peculiar haunting tune.

Romero's awakening gives Phil a very sudden start.

For fun and profit, grandenko can roll a save of his choice to try and decipher some meaning from his nightmare/recall an overlooked detail/remember it as he comes to his senses. i.e. Give me a descriptive explanation of how that Ability might apply. If you want to expand on the imagery in your post, feel free.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

HP:38/38 Hit Dice: 2d10
AC: 19 13
Action Surge: 1/1
Divine Sense: 3/4
Lay On Hands: 10/10
Spell Slots/Divine Smite: 2/2

When he is awakened, he reaches immediately for his mace and shield, listening intently. As reports of possible undead nearby are shared, he briefly questions Lykaia in Infernal, "Have you heard of any such thing before? Men who were dead, yet their bodies still walk? Is such a thing a common occurrence here?"

To the others he asks, "How far away do you think they are? If I can get close enough, the Lord of Light and Life may give me insight into just what spawn of evil we might face -- whether it be undead, or..." speaking carefully so as not to upset the girl, he adds, "...or something else."

My range is 60' as long as I can get a glimpse of them (i.e., they are not behind Total Cover).

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jack

Jack quietly listens through the night, at least once he wakes up and takes his watch. Then he notices the moaning, but he doesn't do much except try and listen to see if it is coming closer. As far as he could tell it wasn't. But Romero decides to wake everyone else up, and then talks about undead. Jack slips down, frowns at the talk of undead, and takes a swig of rum. "You are joking about undead, right?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
As soon as you wake up from a dream, write it down before its gossamer strands fade from your mind.
Wisdom saving throw: 1d20+2=14

If that's high enough, then Phil actually remembers that bit of advice and does it. He further recalls that the black flames were burning from swords, daggers, maces, all sorts of steel stacked up like a campfire. But steel can't burn, can it?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:agreed:

Romero seems to think undead are nearby; is Mane going to use Divine Sense, again?

WHAT DO YOU DO??

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Barbarian 1 / Paladin 1

The Tent-Mothers of the Kamaavali clan had often scared children with tales of dead warriors returning from the grave and Kavthaenag knew that some of the downlander mages dabbled in necromancy, but Romero's words still come as a shock for a moment. Quickly composing himself, he rises to his feet, arms himself, and moves closer to Lykaia.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

TychoBrahesNose posted:

When he is awakened, he reaches immediately for his mace and shield, listening intently. As reports of possible undead nearby are shared, he briefly questions Lykaia in Infernal, "Have you heard of any such thing before? Men who were dead, yet their bodies still walk? Is such a thing a common occurrence here?"

Lykaia grips a pant-leg of the towering goliath, hiding herself behind him. He can feel her trembling a little, her words stammered.

"Younglings aren't 'pposed to go into the Burndwood.. I've never seen anything close to the road, but grownups always said there's monsters and badmens deeper in the woods.. Dark places and dark magickzs.." :ohdear:

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

Daisy sleeps soundly until roused by Romero. drat nightcap. It made it all but impossible to wake up due to approaching danger, but it was the only way she could sleep without...

She grasps her crossbow and loads it, emerging out of the tent, her obscenely pink headwear in stark contrast to her serious expression.

"Well, we gain nothing by standing here," she murmurs to the others. "I'm going to wing around and check this out. If you hear me screaming, I expect you boys to charge in and rescue me. Lykaia, keep the big one between you and anything scary."

quote:

Moving 60' to the left, perpendicular to the direction from which we hear the sound, then approaching it. Looking out for boogeymen. (I have Darkvision 60')

I sneak into the darkness!: 1d20+6 22 :ninja:1d20+4 13 Actually an 11 due to disadvantage(dim light due to darkvision)

--------------

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 11, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Romero Palmer

Palmer plucks off the nightcap before she leaves and mutters under his breath, "Rgh, curiosity kills. At least don't go out there in something that catches the light." He hands the thing to Lykaia for safekeeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
"We are here to explore, aren't we?" Daisy quips before disappearing into the brush.

• Locked thread