Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
AC: 14
HP: 33/33
Hit Dice: 1d8+2, 1d8+2
Inspiration: 0
Second Wind: Available
Action Surge: Available
"I'm up already anyway, time to earn my keep"

Philesos wakes himself up and snaps himself out of the funk that the dream put him in as best he can, grabs his spear, and tries to catch up to Daisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Gonna assume the others are staying behind.

Werewhale posted:

Daisy
She grasps her crossbow and loads it, emerging out of the tent, her obscenely pink headwear in stark contrast to her serious expression.

"Well, we gain nothing by standing here," she murmurs to the others. "I'm going to wing around and check this out. If you hear me screaming, I expect you boys to charge in and rescue me. Lykaia, keep the big one between you and anything scary."

gradenko_2000 posted:

Philesos, the Harrier

"I'm up already anyway, time to earn my keep"

Philesos wakes himself up and snaps himself out of the funk that the dream put him in as best he can, grabs his spear, and tries to catch up to Daisy.

Phil manages to keep pace with Daisy, but she is a stealthy ninja, and Phil loses her. :ohdear:
Some dice roll.

The two of them make haste in an approximate leftwardly direction. The sounds become apparent to both, if for no reason other than they have moved closer to it. There seem to be dark shapes, moving off in the distance; shadowy figures, their features still obscured by the distance, foliage, and darkness. One here, one there.. seemingly in all directions.
Daisy: Phil is just a bit directly south of you; you are aware of him but he's not sure where you are, exactly.

slydingdoor posted:

Romero Palmer

Palmer plucks off the nightcap before she leaves and mutters under his breath, "Rgh, curiosity kills. At least don't go out there in something that catches the light." He hands the thing to Lykaia for safekeeping.

Lykaia happily dons the poofy hat, although the combination of it being an adult-sized hat and her being a tiefling (with horns and whatnot) makes for an odd fit. She keeps close to Kav.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Mane Nurlar, Servant of Light and Life

HP:38/38 Hit Dice: 2d10
AC: Somewhere between 13 and 19
Action Surge: 1/1
Divine Sense: 3/4
Lay On Hands: 10/10
Second Wind: 1/1

Not expecting the need to be stealthy himself, Mane begins donning his armor.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy
[AC:14] [HP:28/28] [Hit Dice: 2d8]

Daisy shrugs inwardly. If Phil had lost her, there was little she could do to get his attention without also getting the attention of the... things. She pauses while he passes in front, then follows. If they stirred something up, she was going to minimize the risk to herself. It's not cowardice, it's just good sense.

--------------
Crossbow bolts: 20
Second Wind: unused
Action Surge: unused

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
In the distance, Daisy can see that there are at least 2 shadowy figures, just within crossbow range. They seem to be ambling slowly, aimlessly. Sometimes in small circles, going absolutely nowhere. Further out, there is more movement amongst the trees, heading off to the northwest, as best she can tell.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jack
AC: 20 | HP: 39/39 | Hit Dice: 1d8+3, 1d8+3
Ki: 2/2 | Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1

As the others begin heading toward the sound Jack repeats his question, "you are joking about undead, right?" But gets no satisfactory response. He sighs, takes a swig, and begins ambling after the others. If they get in trouble he will have to save them, someone has to have a head on their shoulders but this lot seems to want to play with things they shouldn't.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
Phil feels that he should have run into Daisy by now, but he still hasn't. Cursing inwardly, he goes to ground and starts advancing while crouched.

If he could just get a fix on any one of these things, then he'd try to locate Daisy again.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Burndwood

Jack quickly finds Phil, but Daisy remains hidden to both of them. He can also see the same 2 shadowy figures off in the distance.

Suddenly, the three of them hear an anguished moan coming from one of the dark forms. It stops abruptly, then starts slowly moving towards the scouting party. The other figure soon follows, and rustling sounds can be heard from deeper within the forest.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 18, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Initiative

:rolldice: Philesos
:rolldice: Jack
:rolldice: Daisy
Shadowy Figures x2

Daisy is Hidden :ninja: so she will have Advantage™ and therefore Sneak Attack on her shot
It's different! Kill it!

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

The things creep the poo poo out of Daisy. For a moment she flashes back to her shooting at Lykaia, but quickly figures that these creatures are probably hostile. If they aren't... well, judging by their agonized moans, she'll be doing them a favour.

Crossbow Attack: 1d20+4 6 1d8+2+1d6 10

Oh wait, Advantage? Advantage Roll: 1d20+4 21

--------------
Crossbow bolts: 20

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 18, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
for effective purposes, we'll say Daisy is at latitude 0, Jack is +10ft, Phil is +20ft, Shadowy Figures are +50ft

The fiend lets out a pained howl and clutches a hand at the protruding bolt-shaft. It remains on its feet, for the time being.

Daisy: INT = 6... They look human..oid..ish?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Romero Palmer
[AC:17] [HP: 36/36] [SD: 4/4d8] [SW: 1/1d10+2]
[HD: 2/2d10+2] [AS: 1/1]

Hackles rise. That doesn't sound like Daisy's scream. Still... he can help. The bullseye lantern is lit and a huge cone of light is pointed in the direction of the howl. She didn't need it to see like he did, but if he could read the battle he could dictate it too.

init: 1d20+2 18
I'll be spamming Commander's strike to turn Daisy into a double attacking death goddess.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

P.d0t posted:

"Mens used to be all over most of the Couer-geo, especially the northiest parts. I think the castle was apposed to be where the capitol city... used to be? We don't really know what's left of it, anymore. I guess there was a big warrings, that all happened at once? My dad knows! The south, though... I'm not sure he knows much about what's there; I sure don't know. Aside from the fishmens on the coast.."

~Off-camera chat-triggered event~

Romero: You seem to get a tickle in your brain. Couer-geo? Isn't "couer" FrenchCelestial for "heart" ?

Kav: Thinking back on hearing Lykaia's words, you didn't understand the language, but her peculiar pronunciation of "Correggio" stuck out to your ears. Couer-geo? Isn't "geo" an ancient GreekGiant word, meaning "land" ?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jack

Jack watches the shadowy figures, and sadly shakes his head. "Dead men tell no tales, and really shouldn't be walking about." Then he ambles on up to the shadowy figures, drawing his sword as he does so. "Sorry about this but you need to go back to sleep."

He then tries to cut the figures down, and give a good kick to their undead guts, the kick however goes wide.

Short Sword plus bonus martial arts to Shadowy Figure 1d20+7 19 for 1d6+5 7 slashing damage and 1d20+7 8 for 1d4+5 9 bludgeoning damage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

[pre]

Phil runs up to the shadowy figure that Jack attacked, takes a swing of his own, then falls back (to a +10 ft position).

1d20+3+2=9, 1d6+3+2+1d6=14
9 on the attack roll is probably a miss

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Zombies have really lovely AC; he dead. Again.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

AC: 17
Divine Sense: 3/4

Hearing the howls and moans and the sounds of combat, the now fully armed and armored Mane says to Kav, "Stay with the girl -- keep her safe!" before wading into the fray himself.

Wading in with my greatsword, but keeping my shield'n'mace handy in case I need to switch.
Initiative: 1d20+1 17

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Kavthaenag

With a grim nod, Kavthaenag turns to Lykaia and says "Do not worry. Nothing will happen to you." He knows she can't understand the words, but hopefully the tone in his voice is reassuring. He then watches the woods carefully, waiting for anybody other than his companions to emerge.

Perception - Threats From The Woods: 1d20+3 13

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Mane can move up to about where Daisy is, before the Zombie gets its turn, if you want.

Kav can't see any threats coming from other directions than where the current fracas is coming from.

The zombie chases after Phil, because clearly he's the most dangerous of his possible targets. Move+Dash

Jack is at +45
Phil and Zombie are at +10, within each others' reach
Daisy's at 0

:siren: Everyone is up; Mane can effectively go twice, if that makes life easier.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jack

Jack waltzes up to the zombie as it chases Phil and stabs it, savagely, if it somehow survived the stab he then proceeded to kick it in the well ... do undead still have their jewels? Oh well he gives a low blow that many an honorable fighter would frown at, or wince.

Short Sword plus bonus martial arts to Zombie 1d20+7 24 for 1d6+5 10 piercing damage and 1d20+7 18 for 1d4+5 8 bludgeoning damage.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Divine Sense: 2/4

As Mane approaches the scene of the battle, he first prays for wisdom from the Lord of Light and Life as he seeks to understand the enemies they face, and whether or not there is anything sinister about the locale that would contribute to the infestation of undead. Once he understands the tactical situation more completely, he utters a brief prayer to assist his ally before beginning the process of destroying the undead infestation plaguing the area.

Divine Sense gives me the type and location of undead within 60', and whether or not any physical location or object in that range is under the effect of a spell such as (Un)Hallow.
In the second round, I'm casting Shield of Faith as a bonus action (giving Philesos +2 AC) and then attacking the nearest zombie with my greatsword:
Making the Undead Re-Dead: 1d20+5 14 2d6+3 13

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
Phil attacks the zombie: 16 on the attack roll, 9 damage
1d20+3+2=16, 1d6+3+2+1d6=9

And then he stands his ground: with Shield of Faith, Phil's about as well protected as Mane and Jack, and if they're standing toe-to-toe with it, Phil doesn't want to lose face.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Mane's greatsword is more than up to the task of rending the shambling corpse in twain. It twitches a moment on the ground, then finally falls dead.

Off in the distance, similar-sounding creatures seem to be scurrying away from your direction, to the North and West.

Do you give chase?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
Phil attacks the zombie: 16 on the attack roll, 9 damage
1d20+3+2=16, 1d6+3+2+1d6=9

Yes, Phil gives chase!

If I never got to attack, then activate Dash, head off towards the North, use Cunning Action to activate Dash again as a Bonus Action and continue running.
If I did use my Standard Action on attacking, then I only get to Dash once.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

Daisy pops up and looks at Phil disappearing into the brush. She gives the others an incredulous look, then shrugs. "In for a copper, I guess."

Loading her crossbow, she follows Phil.

Action: Dash and Move, following Phil north

--------------
Crossbow bolts: 19

[/quote]

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Mane opens his senses to the area. The results could best be described as: :aaaaa:

Just on the edges of his cognition, he starts to get "pings" on several targets. First, another zombie. Then another. Then a skeleton. Then more skeletons..
As the sensory feedback enters his mind, the information starts to become overwhelming. Pushing his abilities to their limits, Mane mentally follows the map of the signals; he can just only begin to perceive some traces of desecration, but it's too far too tell what exactly has been effected by it.

we'll say there's at least 2 zombies and 3 skeletons, within radius, but there's very clearly more of them outside of the 60ft range

Daisy and Phil will be right up against the first batch of undead, barring Mane retroactively stopping them from moving ahead.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

"There are a great many more of the foul undead, farther ahead," Mane calls out so that the others can hear. "And something more...possibly the source of the desecration powering their un-life? We must proceed with caution -- if they become too numerous, withdraw to the camp and we will mount a proper assault during the daytime, or even return later with Lykaia's people as allies."

The only good undead is a re-dead undead, so there's no sense in stopping now while we are winning. That said, blindly walking into an unholy area is certainly contra-indicated, so having some kind of plan for when things go pear-shaped is important. After all, taking out a host of zombies doesn't really do a lot of good strategically if we end up dead as a result.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jack

Jack reaches out toward the others as they rush off. Then he starts cursing before following them, shaking his head at their foolishness.

Guess I am Dashing 90 ft to try and get close to the others and the undead.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Alright so all that movement adds up to this:

Desecrated Ground
Phil +70
Jack +45
Daisy 0
Mane -50
Kav/Romero -110ish

To speed things up, I'll let everyone at the camp be caught up to where Mane is; Phil can also back up, otherwise he'll be swarmed by undead, and he woulda seen them earlier in his movement.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How many undead does Phil see, and how far away are they from him?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Mane dashes forward to ensure that his companions are not overwhelmed by the undead horde.

Moving to +10 0, just close enough to swing at the undead next round, and keep them focused on me rather than moving to engage Daisy (or others nearby) this round.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 30, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

How many undead does Phil see, and how far away are they from him?

Phil can see the 2 zombies and 3 skeletons that Mane detected, plus :rolldice: 2 more zombies and 8 more skeletons, starting 20 ft back from the first group, and spreading out 40 ft in an arc from there. They're scattered in no particular pattern, but generally all out towards the NW.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

Daisy follows after Phil and Jack until she has a good vantage point, then takes a knee and aims down her crossbow, ready to support the vanguard.

Move +30 feet.

Ready Action: Shoot crossbow at enemy WHEN Phil or Jack moves within 5 feet of it.

Shoot crossbow w/ sneak attack: 1d20+4 15 1d8+2+1d6 14
Retconned below

--------------
Crossbow bolts: 19

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 29, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

P.d0t posted:

Alright so all that movement adds up to this:

Desecrated Ground
Phil +70
Jack +45
Daisy 0
Mane -50
Kav/Romero -110ish

To speed things up, I'll let everyone at the camp be caught up to where Mane is; Phil can also back up, otherwise he'll be swarmed by undead, and he woulda seen them earlier in his movement.

Alright, so the first cluster of undead would be in the 0 to +10 range, the 2nd cluster would be +30 to +70

So uh, what I'm saying is, if you're in the midst of some undead, adjust/retcon your movement, accordingly :v:
Also for the sake of doing stuff, we'll say Kav can safely carry Lykaia on his shoulders or piggyback or some such, so he can actually participate.

and then I'll figure out initiative

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Romero Palmer
[AC:17] [HP: 36/36] [SD: 3/4d8] [SW: 1/1d10+2]

Palmer decides to guard Lykaia so the other guy can join the fight, from afar he uses the lamp as a spotlight distraction to allow the more opportunistic warriors to maximize their potential. He uses sign language to tell the tiefling child to watch his back.

Whichever Rogue is actually in a position to sneak attack in the off-turn, make another attack with 1d8 extra damage on top.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Daisy

Daisy, finding herself in the midst of the undead, falls back several steps before turning around and dropping to her knee, aiming at the undead and waiting for a good shot.

Move -30 feet.

Ready Action: Shoot crossbow at enemy WHEN Phil or Jack moves within 5 feet of it.

Shoot crossbow w/ sneak attack: 1d20+4 15 1d8+2+1d6 14

--------------
Crossbow bolts: 18/19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
Phil will move towards whichever undead is in the second cluster that will take him closer to 0. If there's an undead right at +40, that's where he'll end the turn ideally.

No Disengage nor Dash - he'll end the turn engaged with the undead so Daisy can get her Sneak Attack. That means no Sneak Attack for himself. Not using Romero's extra attack as I don't have Sneak Attack

1d20+3+2=18, 1d6+3+2=9
Attack Roll of 18 for 9 damage

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Romero Palmer
[AC:17] [HP: 36/36] [SD: 3/4d8] [SW: 1/1d10+2]

Romero changes his last name to facepalmer. Neither of the rogues want offturn sneak attacks. He's gonna end up giving it to Lykaia at this rate.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Phil stabs at a nearby Zombie. It hisses in pain, before being shot through the head by Daisy. It :rolldice: attempts to claw itself back onto its feet, but fails and instead gasps its last undying breath.

The 8 skeletons furthest up ahead seem not to have noticed you -- for now :smaug:

Desecrated Ground
Phil @ +40
Zombie (x1)@ +30+40
Skeletons (x3) @ +10
Mane, Zombies (x2) @ 0
Daisy @ -30
Kav/Romero @ -50ish

:zombie: moves up to attack Phil :siren: if Daisy wants to use Romero's granted attack now, roll it :rolldice:
The zombie thrashes at Phil for 6 damage of the bludgeoning variety.

:yohoho: draw out shortbows and fire in all directions
The skeletons shoot arrows, one each for Phil, Mane, and Daisy (in order of map position)
8 damage to Phil, while Mane is saved by his metal armors, and the shot intended for Daisy skews wide.

:zombie: :zombie: claw at Mane since he's close by
The mindless undead are no match for the paladin's shining armor. In fact, one of them is :rolldice: blinded by the shininessholy aura about him. (this lasts until i decide otherwise... which i probably won't.)

Total: :siren: 14 damage to Phil

:frogsiren: EVERYONE IS UP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philesos, the Harrier

pre:
HP: 17/33
"Ouch"

I am waiting for Daisy to use Romero's granted attack before I take my turn, so that Daisy has Sneak Attack when she takes the shot.

• Locked thread