Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lurdiak posted:

Comic that doesn't reference Vietnam or The Irish Civil War at any point and does not feature an entire issue set in a pub: by Garth Ennis

Caliban. This month's Code Pru, which leads into Alan Moore's "Cinema Purgatorio" thing. Rover Red Charlie (because all the main characters are dogs). Back to Brooklyn, for the most part. His story in Tangled Web. Stitched (because they're all in Afghanistan the entire time). 303.

Hell, Where Monsters Dwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/joke

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Jokes are funny. That was stupid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nah, I'm hilarious.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Just found out Black Manta's back story is that he was injected with some sort of serum to cure his autism. Therefore:

Black Manta tries to prevent Aquaman from vaccinating his children

Black Manta swears revenge on the Justice League for leaving negative reviews on his My Little Pony/ Sonic the Hedgehog crossover fanfic

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

My wife has a superman pitch. Red Son but in Mexico

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

numerrik posted:

My wife has a superman pitch. Red Son but in Mexico

He grows a beard, dresses like a Matrix, goes on super-serious grown-up adventures for real adults not babies, hangs out with a spooky drangstula, is Wonder Spacewoman's frenemy with benefits(?), fights Galactus I guess, and uses a mean word about Lois Lane.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Gods & Monsters Superman didn't grow up in Mexico, he was found by illegal immigrants.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm weirded out by all these elsewords where Superman's a dick due to growing up in different circumstances but HE'S NOT KAL EL YOU GUYS KAL EL COULD NEVER BE A DICK.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hernan isn't a dick, he's awesome. :(

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I'm weirded out by all these elsewords where Superman's a dick due to growing up in different circumstances but HE'S NOT KAL EL YOU GUYS KAL EL COULD NEVER BE A DICK.

:objection:
Superman: The Dark Side!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WickedHate posted:

Gods & Monsters Superman didn't grow up in Mexico, he was found by illegal immigrants.

Well that's rather unfortunate subtext. 'If Superman isn't raised by white people, he becomes an rear end in a top hat'.

Even Calvin Ellis committed election fraud! Where's the birth certificate, Commander-in-Chief-of-Steel?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

:objection:
Superman: The Dark Side!

Doesn't he eventually turn good in that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah and he ends up with... Big Barda I think?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Are there any Alt-Supes stories where he isn't some kind of good guy by the end?

Follow-up: If you play as Superman through the story mode of Injustice, how does his narrative end?

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah and he ends up with... Big Barda I think?
Again? :v:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 16, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

Are there any Alt-Supes stories where he isn't some kind of good guy by the end?

The ones where it's not Kal-el and Injustice (so far), which is why I brought it up. I guess some editor must have had an edict out.

redbackground posted:

Follow-up: If you play as Superman through the story mode of Injustice, how does his narrative end?

Well, if you'll remember, the Injustice game completely undercut its own premise by having the GOOD GUY DIMENSION be the ones fighting Superman's army, so Superman's arcade ending is just this crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGaFpjU6Gk8&t=38s

There's a good reason all the marketing completely hid the fact that the game was a meeting of worlds instead of just a story of rebels vs evil Superman.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

so Superman's arcade ending is just this crap.
Oh. Well, uh, that's kind of terrible. The oily voice over lady sure isn't helping the mood, either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

It was consensual this time!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

Oh. Well, uh, that's kind of terrible. The oily voice over lady sure isn't helping the mood, either.

It's a miracle the comic is as good as it is considering how awful the game turned out to be, story-wise.

My favorite thing is how the story mode's narrative is structured so that every single time a "good guy universe" character fights a "bad guy universe" character, they always win. Including when fighting their evil twins.

Oh wait I guess at one point Alt-Luthor does beat up Regular Joker.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 16, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well that's rather unfortunate subtext. 'If Superman isn't raised by white people, he becomes an rear end in a top hat'.

His parents were just as good as the Kents, but obviously their situation is a lot different and a lot harder than idyllic small town white American farmers. It's not "what if Superman was raised by Mexicans", it's "what if Clark didn't have such a conveniently perfect life growing up".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

redbackground posted:

Red Son

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
It has been forever since I read it, but didn't he end up saving the world and Clark Kent-ing at the end?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

redbackground posted:

It has been forever since I read it, but didn't he end up saving the world and Clark Kent-ing at the end?

I believe he ends up reinstating monarchy for some reason. A monarchy led by Luthor no less.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WickedHate posted:

His parents were just as good as the Kents, but obviously their situation is a lot different and a lot harder than idyllic small town white American farmers. It's not "what if Superman was raised by Mexicans", it's "what if Clark didn't have such a conveniently perfect life growing up".
It's funny thinking about it - I think being from some kind of fairly isolated rural background feels important for Superman, both for the mythic overtones and for the idea that he had to practice his powers in secret. Past that it could be anything.

It'd be interesting to have Superman growing up in the modern day blight of rural areas, though. If perhaps not "Ma and Pa Kent cook meth" levels.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

A comic starring Maria Hill which just revolves around her trying to catch up on paperwork and sleep in between the world shattering crises that she faces every few days.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sailor Viy posted:

A comic starring Maria Hill which just revolves around her trying to catch up on paperwork and sleep in between the world shattering crises that she faces every few days.

I would buy every issue

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Department H restarts the Alpha Flight program under a new team leader: Zap Rowsdower (with his teen sidekick Troy)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Hawkeye nearly starts an international incident with Attilan when he picks a fight with Black Bolt over the last slice of pizza.

Again.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Finding a dog salmon and a giant barrel sponge side by side in his royal seadock, Namor abdicates the throne of Atlantis to reflect on his life choices and views of mankind, Atlantean and surface dweller alike.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Alfred and Damien become worried after Batman announces that from now on his diet will only consist of goat hearts and cat urine.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
More Ghostbusters/XFiles crossovers.

Ghostbusters X Jem and the Holograms: After the Misfits invoke a demonic entity on accident in an attempt to upstage Jem, Jerrica and Kimber discover their mother's soul has been captured by the otherworldly creature. Now with her dead mother's soul on the line, Jem and the Holograms are going to have to team up with the Ghostbusters. Ending consists of Jerrica tricking the demon with a synergy hologram hiding a ghost trap.

X: Files/Batman: Mulder and Scully are assigned to Gotham City to help in an FBI takedown of a designer drug shipment, but end more interested in the reports of a monster bat attacking criminals. Mulder is laughably wrong with every theory in the entire miniseries.

KISS meets the Ghostbusters: When supernatural rock group KISS finds their powers being affected by some unknown force, they turn to the science and technology of the Ghostbusters to assist them in getting them back before all hell breaks loose... Literally.

Buckaroo Banzai/Ghostbusters: Cross the Extremes. The Ghost of John Whorfin and the rest of the Red Lectroids have returned to Earth. The science teams of the HKC and the GB must join forces to put them back in any dimension before they do more damage.

Ghostbusters/Archie: The GB are hired by a real estate developer to deal with a haunted town whose entire population was nearly killed when a local business magnate's mines vented poison gas through the community in the early 1960s. The ghostly inhabitants 'mostly' act and believe like it's a idealistic 1950s Americana fantasy. However, when the developers start making too many changes in trying to get rid of the ghosts of Riverdale, the seemingly benign spirits react in a more violent and modern way than anyone could have suspected.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The ones where it's not Kal-el and Injustice (so far), which is why I brought it up. I guess some editor must have had an edict out.

Well, if you'll remember, the Injustice game completely undercut its own premise by having the GOOD GUY DIMENSION be the ones fighting Superman's army, so Superman's arcade ending is just this crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGaFpjU6Gk8&t=38s

Great. Now he'll have to keep going through his own poop to make sure he doesnt lose it. And if he goes bad, MAYBE HE WONT LOOK.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

JediTalentAgent posted:

KISS meets the Ghostbusters: When supernatural rock group KISS finds their powers being affected by some unknown force, they turn to the science and technology of the Ghostbusters to assist them in getting them back before all hell breaks loose... Literally.

Is the unknown force the Phantom of the Park?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
All you have to do for a Ghostbusters crossover is make something of the other franchise into a ghost. For an X-files crossover, all you need to do is making something of the other franchise into a secretly sinister conspiracy.

There should be about a hundred more of those things than there are.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Peter Parker-verse, with Spider-Man joining forces with a bunch of his alternate selves:
Peter Parker, who was never bitten by the spider, but instead fights crime through an endoskeleton he designed with Otto Octavius.
Peter Parker, Nova, who turned way from using his incredible powers due to suffering from guilt and bitterness after his life was ruined from the irradiated spider-bite (which instead crippled him). But perhaps he's been forced to change his mind...
Peter Parker, the Incredible Hulk, who without the guiding influence of his Uncle Ben, became a delinquent who was in the wrong place at the very, very, wrong time...

Together they fight against another Peter Parker, one who never gained powers, and after seeing his Uncle gunned down in front of him while he was powerless to stop it, has sworn to live by his Uncle's mott of 'with great power comes great responsibility'. If he has to take that power from others, well, clearly he's the only one responsible enough...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

JediTalentAgent posted:

Buckaroo Banzai/Ghostbusters: Cross the Extremes. The Ghost of John Whorfin and the rest of the Red Lectroids have returned to Earth. The science teams of the HKC and the GB must join forces to put them back in any dimension before they do more damage.

Where do I send my money order?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

JediTalentAgent posted:

More Ghostbusters/XFiles crossovers.

All of these are gold.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The Last Czarnian of Krypton: As the destruction of Krypton approaches, Jor-El changes his plans to send Kal-El to Earth and instead chooses Czarnia, feeling the near-utopian and progressive society would better protect him. Unfortunately, paradise has been invaded by a serpent named "Lobo" who grows up alongside Kal and finds the distraction of this unkillable do-gooder geek with a skin condition taking him away from killing off everyone else.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
"He-man Horse fucker"

Prince Adam spends 12 issues over explaining how his horse got caught in a mire and his belt snapped as he was pushing it out. He goes beet red and becomes aggressive if anyone asks why he didn't use the reins to pull it free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
poo poo, I mean....Mate Kishop
In this limited run 6 issue series, Hawkeye and Hawkeye finally separate their heroic identities. Who gets to keep on as Hawkeye? Only the most dramatic coinflip ever! Features a 2 issue "Elseworlds" followup, based on the flip going the other way.

• Locked thread