Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ron dennis just heard his mom calling, it's time for dinner, he can't play right now. you didn't hear her? ron definitely heard, his mom is definitely calling and i guess we'll have to wait until later to see how good his race car is. i assure you it's very good. but he just can't prove it right now because of his mom. she will be very upset if he doesn't come to dinner. it's meatloaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

everyone please stop saying mp4-30 and instead refer to it by its rightful name, mp4-19

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

hey if you guys need an unrelenting mclaren apologist i can start posting again

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Aqualung posted:

Pretty please?

There was a rumour they have a new title sponsor - what are your thoughts?

i haven't heard that, but i heard that they're losing johnnie walker (FIA) and santander (ferrari) and boullier claims they are 99.9% done signing a deal to replace those two. they bring about 15m each so if they're recouping all of that money from one company then i guess that has to be a title sponsor. he is a poo poo liar, too, so if he said that convincingly i kind of believe it. button has backtracked somewhat on the retirement hints; perhaps mclaren refused to pay his salary and then changed their minds once they knew they'd have more money? i think they want to keep both him and alonso, if they can afford it, because it gives the impression that they're a top team and not backmarkers.

i think mclaren signing new sponsors sounds more likely now than ever because they have their poo poo together in comparison to lotus, red bull and toro rosso, all of whom have decent sponsors that would like to definitely be in F1 in 2016.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

a lot of small to medium sized companies sponsor F1 not to advertise on the car, but to woo business partners in the paddock. mclaren is good for that, what with their fancy motor home and catering.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

hunt and lauda are button and vettel, hth

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

Is the implication that the FIA is forcing alcohol money out of the sport?

no, johnnie walker is sponsoring F1 as a whole rather than just mclaren. suppose it would have been more accurate to say FOM.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

honda can't do much of anything during the season because it requires like infinity tokens to redesign the turbo compressor

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

I don't even know what my reg date is

2007 reg year is the only thing that matters

vamos young lewis

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

toyota spent a poo poo ton of money and an entire year developing their car on track before entering in 2002 and beat only an arrows team that didn't finish out the season. haas really have their poo poo together and will in no way resemble the "lotus"\hrt\"virgin" gang but nonethless starting an F1 team from scratch is exceedingly difficult. redditors are dumb and bad and this isn't new.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i think grosjean made a good move though. new renault won't be race winners for a few years and honestly i still wouldn't be surprised if that deal implodes. haas aren't going to be an embarrassing team to drive for (probably), they'll actually pay him (which i'm sure is important), and he obviously has his eye on the ferrari seat in 2017 anyway.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i hope haas has better merch and overall team image than your typical american racing team. those shirts are not off to a good start.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mclaren is going to do something dumb next year like be constantly just outside the podium positions

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

oh hey i haven't been around for the last several pages but i just want to say that while i cannot wait for red bull to go die in a fire it is nonetheless quite obvious that they are bluffing and aren't in a million years just going to shut down operations and leave. i fully expect them to come crawling back to renault once mercedes and ferrari give them the finger, and renault will probably squeeze some concessions out of the FIA (more tokens or something) in exchange for taking them back.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

pik_d posted:

You've got a really weird definition of "dumb", wicka

think about it, though. finishing 4th-8th isn't all that hilarious compared to this season. and yet it really doesn't help mclaren at all in their attempts to attract lucrative sponsors and keep alonso/button. everyone loses. either they have to stay completely rear end or just start winning again. anything in between sucks.

btw, you're welcome for barely posting during hamilton's season and a half of utter dominance

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

chandon is owned by moet hennessey, which diageo have a 30% stake in, but they are by no means the same company.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

track day bro! posted:

How the hell do you know that they have their poo poo together.

it's quite obvious considering they have the resources to build an entire F1 factory from scratch and buy a second one in the UK. they are just so far beyond what the 2010 new teams were like.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1 has been unsustainable for 60 years

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the fact that red bull incorrectly thought everyone would be desperate to save them is absolutely hilarious

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

conor daly has the jawline of a german in a nazi propaganda poster

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it's been clear for like 20 loving years that race control isn't going to penalize you for pushing people wide as you pass them, how the gently caress are drivers still surprised when they get caught out?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the late 90s were literally just schumacher and hakkinen taking turns driving each other into the grass

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

agreed, the worlds highest form of motorsport should be run exactly like your local kart tracks

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

lol villeneuve drove arnoux off the track at dijon, the two of them were banging wheels the whole time, the gently caress are you on about

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

That is actually a good example of two drivers keeping their lines in a corner. They banged wheels because they were close as gently caress and it was intense racing. You will note that Gilles "any idiot can block" Villeneuve did not immediately get forced wide off the first corner, which is what would happen today.

and yet...they did drive each other off the track...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Because they tangled after several laps of intense racing, which is different than what happened at T1.

who gives a gently caress, the fact of the matter is that they did it, and F1 drivers haven't had the kind of "respect" for each other that you're inexplicably expecting since they were literally princes

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

times changed, like, half a loving century ago, why are we bitching about this now

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

racing drivers care about nothing more than winning?!?!?! GASP

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

eurosport headline: "lewis hamilton: senna of his generation or just the guy in the most superior car ever?"

oh man who wants to tell them the bad news about senna

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

Which would be that Senna was a Brazilian fraud?

GramCracker posted:

Which would be that Senna was a Brazilian fraud?

senna never won a title without the best car on the grid

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

if hamilton and vettel were on the same team this thread and everyone in it would be banned

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

lol vettel would be so hilariously crushed if he were in the same car as lewis

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Berger is now an old austrian. I've never met an old austrian that wasn't angry about everything.

heh

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i met some young austrians when i was drunk off my rear end on bourbon st and all i could really say was "GERHARD BERGER"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Actual important news:

Ferrari have vetoed the cost cap so the FIA are looking at bringing in customer engines for 2017, I'm going to take a wild punt and say that although they might find an additional supplier to give engines to the poor teams/red bull the sport won't stand the loss of Ferrari, merc, Renault and Honda if the FIA try to make them mandatory for all.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12474/10045064/fia-open-tender-for-cheap-customer-engines-after-ferrari-veto-cost-limit

god i love F1 "negotiations"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Assuming you're talking about the fuel flow limit. Presumably everyone has optimized their engines towards that meaning even if you did lift it you'd need to rework the engines to get significant power above where they're currently revving to.

Also your argument is stupid, its more about the environment than the price of oil.

we got rid of refueling because ferrari couldn't be trusted not to destroy their fuel rigs. it was a safety decision and nothing more.

Riso posted:

Reminder: Red Bull cancelled their Renault contract BEFORE having a new supplier for engines lined up.
It's entirely their own drat fault and Schadenfreude is so very nice.

isn't their contract still technically valid?

bernie doesn't want mercedes or ferrari to give red bull an engine, he just wants them to shoulder all the blame for whatever happens. if red bull leaves, they owe FOM millions in exit fees due them agreeing to stay in the sport until 2020. those fees are harder to enforce if FOM is potentially at fault for red bull's inability to get an engine.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

all of this is amazing. red bull quit renault and demanded a more competitive engine. mercedes signed manor and then claimed it was too late to add another team. ferrari offered their 2015 engine because it'll still probably be better than the 2016 renault, thus technically fulfilling red bull's request. red bull now threatening to leave the sport if they don't get a 2016 mercedes or ferrari engine. everyone knows they won't actually do it. bernie just throwing out bad ideas because he knows the teams will shoot them down. silly season came early y'all.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CratSock posted:

Nothing should ever be -gate unless it actually has something to do with the Watergate office complex... Hat-gate makes no sense and is just plain ludicrous. Typical of modern journalists not understanding what they're writing about or terms they use.

so let me get this straight

in your warped, retarded brain

you think journalists who use terms like "hat-gate" aren't aware of watergate?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

poopzilla posted:

He's right. Adding -gate to everything makes no loving sense. If Nixon broke into a Hilton hotel would this be Hat-Ton?

It's retarded

no no no, i get that. but does he think that people who do it don't know what watergate is? and does he not know that this happens all the time, with almost every major controversy that's happened since like uh 1972?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Typical of modern journalists not understanding what they're writing about or terms they use.

it's important to me that you know "modern journalists" are fully aware of what the watergate scandal is and why they're adding "-gate" to the end of things

• Locked thread