Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Not sure if real but it certainly could be:

quote:

Hamilton 5/1 to keep barnet braided for Belgian Grand Prix
After Lewis Hamilton revealed his new braided hairstyle on Instagram, Betway are offering 5/1 that the F1 star remains freshly-plaited for the next Grand Prix.
The online bookmaker’s favourite is short back and sides at 1/2, while it’s 6/4 Hamilton will revert to a shaved look and 10/1 he gives the quiff another go.
Betway have also opened a market on Hamilton’s future with rumoured love interest Rihanna, offering 8/1 that the Mercedes driver appears in her next music video.
The firm make it 10/1 for the reigning drivers’ champion to take advice from Beyoncé and ‘put a ring on it’ by the end of the year and it’s 25/1 that Rihanna and Hamilton record a duet.
Betway’s Alan Alger, said: “Lewis Hamilton has gone with a few daring fashion choices recently, but I can’t see the new braided hairstyle being one that sticks. It will surely be far too uncomfortable underneath the helmet.”
Lewis Hamilton hairstyle at the Belgian Grand Prix (August 23rd):
Short back and sides 1/2
Shaved 6/4
Braided 5/1
Quiff 10/1
Mohican/Mohawk 16/1
Side parting 25/1
Bleached 40/1
Centre parting 50/1
Slick back 66/1
Topknot 250/1
Alice band 500/1
Mullet 1000/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Apparently the gassing thing is an urban myth in that area, and Jenson is getting his blood tested to see if that happened.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Alain Post posted:

Another dogshit motogp race, that's three in a row. I urge everyone to not fall for the hype and to avoid this fraudulent racing series. Stick to the F1

You should really watch all 3 races, not just the main one. There's going to be at least one amazing race full of action, this time it was Moto3. It's usually Moto3 anyway. If you're watching on a DVR and skip all the pre/post race stuff, all 3 races take less time to watch than 1 F1 race.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
MotoGP this year has been good because Marquez started with a lovely bike (compared to the Yamahas), he fell off a couple of times, him and Rossi aren't good mates any more so they're each trying to rattle each other's cage, Rossi built up a good lead to try and get his 10th title but Lorenzo has come up to give him a real good challenge. Last year Lorenzo outscored Rossi by quite a margin so the battle is on for the rest of the season, with Marquez taking points from each of them. And yeah Brno was boring in the sense of the race itself but in terms of the championship it means things are probably going to get a bit more exciting.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dudley posted:

The exact moment you knew Pedrosa accepted his fate was that after being utterly spanked by Marquez for 2 years he re-signed for Honda. That was basically admitting he's now the Barrichello of MotoGP.

Hadn't thought of it this way, but you're right. He's too small and fragile to recover from his injuries (see: every year he's race in MotoGP) and I wonder what is Honda's plan to replace him when he does eventually drop down to a lower team like Dovi, Hayden, etc.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, pretty much. Colin Edwards couldn't cut it in the highest level of MotoGP but he's got it pretty good, still: still testing the top bikes, travelling to the races when he's paid and he's got a super popular riding/shooting/bbq ranch that people pay thousands to bunk up at. It's not that bad not being number 1.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Fahking 'ell

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Riso posted:

:agreed:

Never go on the defensive, always attack.

The best defence is a good offence.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ukle posted:

Rough guess but the Merc's are probably going to be qualifying in the low 1min 22s while everyone else is going to be 1.5 seconds behind. This weekends race is already over before its begun unless something happens to take out both the Merc's.

Sounds like I'll be able to catch up on sleep, at least.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Guess I'm watching the race tomorrow...ah who am I kidding, I was going to watch it anyway, just hope no on spoils the results as I'm out working all day.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I wondered why Lotus had blue tire warmers - turns out Sauber, Ferrari and Toro Rosso lent them tire warmers after the overnight rain wrecked several of their sets of warmers, without the help they wouldn't have been able to complete qualifying.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Managed to not get the race spoiled for me all day so watched it when I got home last night - I thought it was alright, not a bad race by any means. Lewis' car didn't get showed at all until near the very end and there was plenty of action going on behind him, so eh. I would say it was 'watchable' for sure, not massively memorable except for the tire pressure debacle and Nico's engine going. Was a nice spread of cars and people on the podium - I wonder if Seb reflected about getting booed by the Italian fans a couple of years ago?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

willcrouch posted:

gently caress Hamilton

Too easy.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Arrivabene has said they'd be happy to provide engines, so what's the problem?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
#stopusinggateforeverything

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

RALF posted:

Remember when the racism and homophobia in the Worst Thread was ironic?

It's kind of hard to tell what's what, that coming from a guy with Schumi-Hitler and a Nazi swastika in his avatar.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
According to this thread, the names of the best Formula One drivers are:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

This wasn't a fill-in-the-blank, guys.

Nope, no it wasn't.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Brainwrong posted:

Has anyone ever seen one of these tokens?

I imagine them to physically resemble Micronesian stone coins

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Those were some drat fine Moto3/Moto2/MotoGP races.

The Moto2 guys elbowing and pushing each other as they went 150mph through the fastest corners on the track...amazing.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah, something to spice up the race.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Holy Cheese posted:

Kimi calm down man!

drat he's so cool!

Cue Brainwrong in 3...2...1....

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Brainwrong posted:

Pah!

I couldn't reply as I was at "Truckfest" and then went to Manchester Airport to watch planes landing and taking off. And I have a beard now.

I so manly I make Lewis Hamilton look effeminate

So...you're a planespotter now?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ukle posted:

Change that Buxton has just tweeted a load of crap.

What's the big news then?

e: couldn't wait, looked it up on Twitter, if anyone is curious Red Bull threatens to quit unless they get Ferrari's top-spec engines.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 22, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Halo14 posted:

Worth watching?

As someone who bought the Blu-ray, no

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

learnincurve posted:

Aww yus, my £150 lotus coat what I got for £30 because they were being shifted cheap and fast just turned up. You know when you import from China and their sizes are always three sizes too small? I'm not sure what it says about f1 fans that this small is clearly a large.

Edit: ah. I seem to be a walking advertisement for dandruff shampoo.

And with the black fabric, you'll be able to clearly show that the shampoo is working!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Halo14 posted:

5th crash in the season. Yep.

Come on, give the rest of us a chance to catch up before spoiling the other major race of the day.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Rhopunzel posted:

latest conspiracy theory is that mercedes were barely shown on the TV feed as a form of punishment from bernie for reneging on the engine deal with red bull :lol:

It doesn't help that Brundle trots out this idea during the commentary, but really there wasn't anything going on at the front. Do we need to see Lewis driving on his own when there's legitimately plenty of action going on behind him?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I can't be the only one thinking Red Bull have talked themselves into a corner by severing ties with Renault and saying they'll leave F1 if they can't get a Ferrari deal, can I? With Renault buying in again they're going to be an engine supplier still and will have extra push to shift the engine rules, so Red Bull can just have a couple of bad years while their engines get better or whatever. Every team has rebuilding years, look at Ferrari in the Alonso years, McLaren now and in a couple of years it'll be Mercedes in the mid-field.

I don't get why companies and teams seem to feel they have the ability or right to be at the forefront every single year. Mercedes almost have it right with their tone - they seem to understand that they have to make hay while the sun shines and get their championships now, but sometimes from how they're saying it, it seems like the M-B board is getting too used to winning all the time and expect it continue for years and years, and any result that isn't a 1-2 is a disaster.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Red Bull are trying to pull Ferrari's 'we are crucial to F1' line on Ferrari. Interesting!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Norns posted:

Have you guys ever had a redbull? I bought own the other day for the first time in years to get some stupid destiny stuff.

Absolutely disgusting.

tbf, the new flavored ones are alright - they had to do SOMETHING to counter Monster and all the other brands doing a variety of flavors. Still overly sweetened sugar bombs but the energy drink market has moved on quit a bit since Red Bull was the only drink you could get.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Brainwrong posted:

Ironically the first ever red bull I had was in the F1 paddock after the race at Silverstone in 96? 97? Sometime around then. I think it had only just come out in the UK. There were some tarts handing it out for free mixed wit vodka. It tasted awful then and made me dislike Sauber a little bit because the slightly drunk/energised edge it gave me meant I thought Damon Hill was pretty good on stage with Eddie Jordan.

This made me laugh

Riso posted:

As an Austrian, I have to say that all the very mean RB discussion

is 100% right.

gently caress RED BULL

But this made me laugh more - it's actually a drink from Southeast Asia. Somewhere, there is an Indonesian or Malaysian billionaire that's living it up just like Mateschitz.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

CratSock posted:

Hamilton knows he can do it to almost anyone on the track, and it's almost as bad as the dive bomb corner attempts made by some of the young guys that depend on the victims not wanting to be crashed so they allow the move.

AKA the Senna move, AKA the move done by Hammy's hero

I do agree that Nico just isn't as forceful as Lewis on the track...or anywhere, really, and Lewis knows it and totally uses it to his advantage. If the one other guy on the grid that has a car as good and fast as yours is doesn't have the cajones to stick a move, you know that you can just do what you like on the track. That's Lewis' advantage right now. It is a shame that Alonso isn't in the Ferrari right now, I'm sure he'd be able to give it to Lewis (on the track, not in a glory hole palace or whatever gay thing you lads are thinking right now).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Halo14 posted:

So um, what do you guys like about F1? (srs)

At this point, the handbags at dawn style drama, joking about the politics and sometimes during a race you'll get a single nice racing move that has bigger implications to the wider picture (like Lewis' pass into turn 1/2). For on-track action I prefer watching Moto3 motorcycle races. MotoGP has a bit more on-track action than F1 right now but there's actually a battle for the championship this year, which makes it more interesting to watch.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Halo14 posted:

Cool, thanks guys.

For me so far it's the technology, blows my mind the ridiculous amount of money spent on keeping these things in working order just for a race. I can understand the drama that has to go along with such high stakes. I also spend time watching practice so I can see what gadgets they use in testing & improvement -fascinating stuff.

I definitely look forward to and enjoy watching MotoGP/2/3 more. They seem a lot less precious, breaking bones and getting back on the bikes like maniacs the next week blows my mind. I actually look forward to the interviews as well. The grid girls are beyond compare too...

Definitely the tech is amazing, but some of the really interesting stuff has been outlawed pretty quickly (fan cars, mass dampers, coanda exhausts, exhaust-diffuser stuff) but it's worth keeping up with things just to appreciate the next technical advance. Keeping the tech relevant for the general public vs providing ways for engineers to really advance auto tech is a tough line to walk for the FIA, but to me getting close to an F1, LMP or other really high-end racing car is super super interesting, just trying to absorb all the tiny aero vanes and scoops and slots and things.

And yeah in general motorcycle racers in all classes are the hardest fuckers out there.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

track day bro! posted:

the aussie posters here

What Aussie posters? Kad the hasn't posted here in, like, ages.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

RALF posted:

There are rumors floating around that Button could join Renault for next year: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/jenson-button-could-stay-f1-6534362

Looks like it's not McLaren's dismal season that is the big issue for him. Instead it's the paycut he may have to take if he stays another season.

Interesting, but this article on Sky F1 http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24180/10009517/how-jenson-button-is-winning-mclaren-poker-game-with-ron-dennis says that Button is with McLaren for next year after out-Ronning Ron for the second year of his contract (which included a big pay bump).

e: re-reading that article, it says today is the last day for McLaren to make the decision. I think Ron will have to blink first and keep Jenson (and pay him out for next year).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

1500quidporsche posted:

What the gently caress is an Avery and what differentiates an indoor from an outdoor one?

He/she likes his/her birds.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
He probably makes as much or more DJing, and that's probably less stressful than going year by year scrambling for sponsors and a team to drive for. gently caress it, man, just chill out in Ibiza with the young uns until you retire, why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
And Ferrari actually can't provide 2015-spec engines according to FIA rules (unless there's a unanimous vote)...so RBR are hosed.

• Locked thread