Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
I remember from a Final Fantasy Tactics tutorial that your attacks are more likely to hit if you attack from someones sides or back, instead of in front of them. I always assumed also that behind them is better odds than standing at their side, using just logic, but Ive never been sure of this... Can anyone confirm or deny this belief, that standing behind someone makes it more likely to hit them than if you stand to their left or right? Or is it al lthe same as long as you arent right in front of them? Its an interesting question to be sure,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Depends if the enemy is wearing a cape or shield since those affect back and side evasion as well if I can recall it correctly.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh yeah you can see back and side evasion on the status screen as well.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
if they're not wearing that stuff plutonis said, back has better odds than side, yeah.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Probably in front of the television so you can see the game, OP.

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]
don't be afraid to try different things strategies in video games, skylark. after all, it's called final fantasy tactics for a reason!! this gamer wishes you good luck and hey, let's have fun out there.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
attacks from behind are always more effective, not just in final fantasy tactics.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Attack from the front if you're a man.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

psymonkey posted:

Attack from the front if you're a man.

The OP is a girl

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Once you've mastered the Time Magician's Float ability, nobody will be able to tell you where you can or can't stand, op.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
In Tactics ogre the enemy always counter attacks unless you attack from the back. FFT does not have this feature but if U use the associative gaming property you will see that attacking from the back is the superior tactic in any srpg.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

a bay posted:

Once you've mastered the Time Magician's Float ability, nobody will be able to tell you where you can or can't stand, op.

I just chose Teleport over Float... just bc teleport seems cooler.. Im open to reconsidering this choice though.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

i forget if positioning also impacts critical hits. i thought it did but my evidence is all anecdotal and from my underdeveloped child brain so idk.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Skylark posted:

I just chose Teleport over Float... just bc teleport seems cooler.. Im open to reconsidering this choice though.

teleport's way cooler imo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Skylark posted:

Teleport is the best movement skill in the game, you have made the correct choice.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The OP is a girl

Manly is a state of mind

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Teleport is the best movement skill in the game, you have made the correct choice.

I remember getting 7 tiles away from missing the port when I used it before I found out you shouldn't try to go from one side of the map to another in one go...

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
stand in the place where you live

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I just use Concentration and attack from any angle.

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001
In Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and A2 attacking from the back deals more damage.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

GreaseMonkey posted:

In Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and A2 attacking from the back deals more damage.

Was A2 any good?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Skylark posted:

Was A2 any good?

It's fun but gets pretty easy later on. Play it on hard and don't feel obligated to do every side mission; you'll outlevel everything super fast that way

good game to emulate on a smartphone since it's turn based and originally controlled by touch screen

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Skylark posted:

Was A2 any good?

It's the second best, gameplay-wise. So many fun classes.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually playing FFT Rebirth right now. Its a recent rebalancing patch, making bad classes useful, op classes more in line with the rest, and monsters/enemies actually threatening. Also balances some of the op equipment. I'm quite enjoying it so far.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It's fun but gets pretty easy later on. Play it on hard and don't feel obligated to do every side mission; you'll outlevel everything super fast that way

good game to emulate on a smartphone since it's turn based and originally controlled by touch screen

I may be a weirdo but out leveling stuff is fun to me.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

it's fun to me, too

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why is ffta2 30 dollars on Amazon. I should check that ds cartridge display case at game stop next time I'm there

frank.club fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 31, 2015

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Skylark posted:

Teleport is better than Float but I like Fly more personally, because its annoying when the teleport fails

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like Ignore Height because of, "Holy poo poo did you see that guy jump?". Should have named him Superman.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

i cheesed elidibs with teleporting summoners dual-wielding bo staves with mind break. five tiles of impenetrable void and 35 height difference is still only five tiles away :getin:

op remember that doing a melee attack from a higher elevation also gives a small accuracy bonus

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 1, 2015

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I don't use Orlandu because he breaks the game, but I think once you unlock the best ninja, samurai and spellcaster abilities the game is pretty easy anyway, even in the hard mode hacks.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

In Training posted:

THen you would like A2 because you are out-levelling missions at the start of the game

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
A2 definitely has some neat new classes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

frank.club posted:

why is ffta2 30 dollars on Amazon. I should check that ds cartridge display case at game stop next time I'm there

One of the Gamestops near me has a boxed copy I'm pretty sure

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
couldn't find it but I did find chrono trigger. heart gold is still 40 plus dollars which is crazy to me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm gonna go buy a bunch of epic DS RPGs today for my trip to California

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The White Dragon posted:

i cheesed elidibs with teleporting summoners dual-wielding bo staves with mind break. five tiles of impenetrable void and 35 height difference is still only five tiles away :getin:

op remember that doing a melee attack from a higher elevation also gives a small accuracy bonus
Arrows also get a nice damage bonus from being way up high.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pablo Gigante posted:

i wish you luck in getting good prices.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Pablo Gigante posted:

A big gamer's welcome to sunny California! It's very warm this summer warmer than usual!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

I would suggest Dragon Quest IV DS.

• Locked thread