Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Complexcalibur posted:

I really wanted to like Seeqs because they have two of my favorite FF classes in their list (Dark Knight and Viking) but I never really bothered using them. Maybe I'll do a Hard Mode run of FFTA2 and make sure I use at least one.

from what i remember both seeqs and veras unlock pretty far into the story, which makes it a pain in the rear end to have a throw-away character that you swap out for them in your main party once you get to that point

if they make another FFT then it'd be nice to have 2 side spots to level characters who don't actively participate in the battle at a ~10% cut in JP and EXP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i bought final fantasy tactics a2 and i like it so far

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
a bit overwhelmed by all of the available quests, clan trials, etc that you can do... Where do I even begin?

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

i just stand wherever i spawn after the battle starts... are you implying that i should move?

my calculator army wants a word

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Make one of them a Bard.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I made a dancer but they're boring and op so I quit using her. Time well spent. Right now I'm running Ramza as a lunar/dark knight, Agrias as a holy knight, Beowulf as a temple knight, Rafa as a heaven knight, and Malak as a hell knight. I like knights. I dunno what I'm gonna do with Cloud. Probably swap out Agrias and maybe make Cloud have thief skills rather than Malak. Malak has my whale whisker though and probably does the most melee damage in the game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
How is Tactics Ogre compared to FFT? I found it hard to get started so I never got far, it seemed like it could be really cool though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Its really good, although I didn't liked micromanaging Chaos affinity and stuff

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think the PSP version lets you redo your decisions - I was playing on PSX so I didn't have that, but I'd do PSP if I went back to it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PSP version improved a lot of stuff and you can do multiple routes by going back to crucial moments yes.

Dec 26, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

How is Tactics Ogre compared to FFT? I found it hard to get started so I never got far, it seemed like it could be really cool though.

its good but there are definitely some rough bits to the new skill system, like the leader of an enemy team having that block 90% of damage skill and spamming it. the route split decisions own

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Dang, I'm trying to get the super hidden items in Nelveska Temple in FFT: Rebirth mod and it seems impossible. Worker 7 can 1 hit anyone and is super fast. As well, all the monsters are also faster and its now 2 golden dragons and the highest tier birds and they all do a TON of damage now. I might be hard pressed just to finish Worker 7 before I get wiped, let alone actually grab the 4 super items :(

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
equip armor + autopotion + lifefont + monk = a nearly invincible tank with decent damage output and great support skills

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Charles Bukowski posted:

Dang, I'm trying to get the super hidden items in Nelveska Temple in FFT: Rebirth mod and it seems impossible. Worker 7 can 1 hit anyone and is super fast. As well, all the monsters are also faster and its now 2 golden dragons and the highest tier birds and they all do a TON of damage now. I might be hard pressed just to finish Worker 7 before I get wiped, let alone actually grab the 4 super items :(

can't you just burn everything else with a time mage / sub calculator (fastest unit with high magic + do 0 damage to worker 7 because he has permanent 0 faith), knight break all his stats, and then cruise it, take your time to find everything?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

can't you just burn everything else with a time mage / sub calculator (fastest unit with high magic + do 0 damage to worker 7 because he has permanent 0 faith), knight break all his stats, and then cruise it, take your time to find everything?

There isn't a calculator class in Rebirth. I managed to cheese it by equipping angel rings on everyone except my item finder(needed those spiked shoes)and putting monk skills on a couple of dudes. I got lucky with a few misses/hits and managed to kill everything besides Worker 7. I had Rafa go on the item hunt while I just kept chain reviving everyone that Worker 7 would kill. Took a while though and more than a few do-overs.

To put it into perspective, the 2 dragons and 3 birds + Worker 7 are all faster than me even with speed equipment on. The birds each do around 250+ damage with insane movement and attack range. The dragons can attack in 3 directions and also hit for 250-350 dmg, though Blade Grasp prevented a lot of those hits. Worker 7 can do up to 900 motherfucking damage per hit, he's an absolute beast. This took a while :D

ee: Rebirth link: http://www.nexus-studios.org/?page_id=60

Now I got Reis and Cloud and I'ma swap out Rafa and Malak for them I reckon. Make Cloud my Thief and Reis my nuker/white mage.

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 8, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rebirth is the one that substituted Calculator for a gimped up Sage who has only Flareja and some status effect -Ja spells?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

rediscover posted:

a bit overwhelmed by all of the available quests, clan trials, etc that you can do... Where do I even begin?

do whatever quests you want, the only thing you need to know is that failing side quest does nothing since you can just retry and there's no permadeath but if you fail a story quest you go back to the title screen so save before those

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

do whatever quests you want, the only thing you need to know is that failing side quest does nothing since you can just retry and there's no permadeath but if you fail a story quest you go back to the title screen so save before those

I feel like it takes too long to unlock jobs. im 6 hours deep, done like 5 or 6 story missions and im still stuck with the starting jobs... i don't like how you have to master like 3 or 4 class abilities to unlock the next one or whatevs. I assume this will start to speed up as i go but my party of soldier archer thief white/black mage and monk is getting old. im still enjoying the game a lot thouhh

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the final fantasy tactics 1.3 mod dude popped up on SA and took a little bit of input for his bad mod

and then went off to talk about clopping and got banned

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

rediscover posted:

I feel like it takes too long to unlock jobs. im 6 hours deep, done like 5 or 6 story missions and im still stuck with the starting jobs... i don't like how you have to master like 3 or 4 class abilities to unlock the next one or whatevs. I assume this will start to speed up as i go but my party of soldier archer thief white/black mage and monk is getting old. im still enjoying the game a lot thouhh

Having a lot of mastered class abilities is necessary later to supplement your guy

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Having a lot of mastered class abilities is necessary later to supplement your guy

ya i get that. i just want to do new jobs but i still haven't unlocked any even though im making a concentrated effort to. feels like it takes to many ap to master abilities. maybe im playing to slow idk

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I spent a billion hours on all FFT and Tactics Ogre games so I can't tell you about that ha ha ha ha

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Rebirth is the one that substituted Calculator for a gimped up Sage who has only Flareja and some status effect -Ja spells?

No, replaced it with Lunar/Dark Knight. Night and Dark Sword ala Gafgarion/T.G Cid, but with the addition of Dark Holy(single target, costs mp, charge time, darkness element Holy spell). I prefer using Gut's Ultima over Dark Holy myself.

Looks like they reduced/removed the charge time of Cloud's limit breaks, and Reis now has some more useful dragoner abilities. I think the best change besides actually challenging enemies is Rafa/Malak. Reduced their abilities to single target, 100% accuracy. Much more consistant and useful for mid-endgame content. Especially Rafa, she hits like a truck.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

lol i just remember rafa and malak existed. a fun fact is i used the boy one in my party for the majority of the remainder of the story in my first playthrough.... gosh... gaming whilst young, such a trip...

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

doesnt one of his untruth moves have the word cargo in it or something

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The original psx game garbled Malak's ability names completely. Whoever did the translating just took Rafa's skill names and added "back" or some gibberish to them. e.g "Asura" becomes "Asura Back." Maybe they were intending "Reverse Asura?" gently caress if I know. Sounds retarded is what it is, so most mods/hacks change them to something better.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Charles Bukowski posted:

The original psx game garbled Malak's ability names completely. Whoever did the translating just took Rafa's skill names and added "back" or some gibberish to them. e.g "Asura" becomes "Asura Back." Maybe they were intending "Reverse Asura?" gently caress if I know. Sounds retarded is what it is, so most mods/hacks change them to something better.

it's weird, but it's supposed to be like evil asura sword or something. some of them are just hard to translate. i guess they could've gone with like vrtra sword but asura has been in the final fantasy pantheon while varuna/vrtra have not

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Charles Bukowski posted:

Probably Inverse Asura.

Doctor Goat posted:

the final fantasy tactics 1.3 mod dude popped up on SA and took a little bit of input for his bad mod

Was he also the Brave New World modder?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 9, 2015

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Goat posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=archael

This is the 1.3 modder. He isn't banned and his only probations are in the 1.3 lets play thread, unrelated to "clopping" or w/e that is.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i cant remember what game modder it was who did that then

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

malak was loving rear end because most enemies had high faith except for worker 7 lol

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Frankly I think you get most unique characters too late in the game. Its not really a long game, and you get the majority of the good ones within like the last 10 hours of the game.

Then its like, do you want to spend as much time grinding jobs/skills on your new guys as finishing the game? The answer is of course yes because if you're anything like me you're a loving sperg.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

Frankly I think you get most unique characters too late in the game. Its not really a long game, and you get the majority of the good ones within like the last 10 hours of the game.

Yeah the only character I think that should join just that late would be Orlandu because I guess he was supposed to serve as a crutch for the lategame fights.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Meliadoul's divine knight skills actually work on monsters in Rebirth, but that's still not enough to make me want to use her.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

malak was loving rear end because most enemies had high faith except for worker 7 lol

malak was loving rear end because i had high faith that his abilities would actually hit where i wanted them to lol

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Doctor Goat posted:

i cant remember what game modder it was who did that then

Maybe it was Final Fantasy VI: Brave New World?

It was fun using random ways to break FFT instead of the standard boring crap. Like any move that recovers MP (especially Move-HP Up) with MP Switch, because even 1 point of MP will cover damage > 1 and will not spillover into HP damage.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Prowler posted:

Maybe it was Final Fantasy VI: Brave New World?

oh yeah youre entirely right

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

malak was loving rear end because i had high faith that his abilities would actually hit where i wanted them to lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i forgot that cuchulain is after the gate fight, and forgot to buy the bracelets that protect against his nightmare statuses. i thought i was screwed and would have to start over, but i was able to win with a party of a black and red chocobo, a guy with item skill, and my ramza monk death machine. felt good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

poo poo did i miss tactics ogre talk. tactics ogre owns and i want a new ogre battle more than anything

• Locked thread