Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RE: Exploring Don't forget you can put the explore your own lands (literally, have the crosshairs over the clan's name on the map) and you can sometimes find some treasures for very little risk.

also agreeing with Divination

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

GoldenPrice posted:

I mean A Map like this from one of the previous LPs

They removed the map borders. Partly to discourage people from taking over the entirety of Dragon Pass and pushing everyone else into the swamp.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

i81icu812 posted:

They removed the map borders. Partly to discourage people from taking over the entirety of Dragon Pass and pushing everyone else into the swamp.

Was that possible? I thought if you started to get to large the game would force a clan split.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It was, although the game would start breaking if you got down to too few AI clans(sometimes they can disband instead of moving to the outskirts of the pass). The clan split is based partly on population vs land, so getting a shitton of land lowers the chance of splits.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

P.S. get more weaponthanes. I usually get like 20 or so and then I can pretty consistently demolish any other clan.

Pimpmust posted:

You aint' doing it right until you have 40+ weaponthanes, Truesword and that Vinga poo poo and just kicking everyone out of Dragon Pass :omarcomin:
How do you get that many thanes? There seems to be a softcap of around 15-16 where you won't find more to recruit. And if you try to get around that (I did) by sending weapon-thanes off exploring and recruiting more while you were temporarily under the soft cap, they die in droves on the expedition.

(This is on old PC version)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 2, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Haifisch posted:

It was, although the game would start breaking if you got down to too few AI clans(sometimes they can disband instead of moving to the outskirts of the pass). The clan split is based partly on population vs land, so getting a shitton of land lowers the chance of splits.

One of the options in the clan split event is to raid to seize more land! Failing hurts the clan mood, but you should have enough food and thanes to feast and raid forever to keep mood up anyway.

The trick for recruiting is to send all your thanes off exploring someplace safe so you have only a handful in your tula when you recruit, that way you can hire dozens at a time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

lurksion posted:

How do you get that many thanes? There seems to be a softcap of around 15-16 where you won't find more to recruit. And if you try to get around that (I did) by sending weapon-thanes off exploring and recruiting more while you were temporarily under the soft cap, they die in droves on the expedition.

(This is on old PC version)

I've been playing the iOS version lately so maybe I'm off base, but I'm pretty sure I remember getting absurd murder stacks of weaponthanes no problem. Like was completely unaware that you could fail to recruit more.

Now you've got me curious if I was really lucky. Maybe it matters how good your economy is? I always make my tula as airtight a cow-producing machine as I can first thing, so I'm basically always rich as gently caress within a few years unless the RNG fucks me.

sergeantz
Apr 27, 2015
When we need answers, the choice is obvious. You get the chicken, I'll get the knife. (divination)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Infinitum posted:

This stinks of Chaos. Let me interrogate the people, and I will find the betrayer.
Achievement Unlocked: Crazy Guy on the Council

You say that, but a thing about Glorantha is that a) Secret Murder is seriously bad juju and b) Chaos results from a lot of things, secret murder included, and... well, it deserves the capital C :v:

As for my vote, this is what that left over magic is for. Divine that, and do what it says

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Divine the nature of the murder then throw cows at it.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Secret murder is whack. I mean, gatting a guy down in the street and flashing your colors is one thing, that shows you have respect. Being all sneaky and poo poo just shows you shady and ain't nobody got your back, son.

I'll stop now

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Xiahou Dun posted:

Divination nation.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've been playing the iOS version lately so maybe I'm off base, but I'm pretty sure I remember getting absurd murder stacks of weaponthanes no problem. Like was completely unaware that you could fail to recruit more.

Now you've got me curious if I was really lucky. Maybe it matters how good your economy is? I always make my tula as airtight a cow-producing machine as I can first thing, so I'm basically always rich as gently caress within a few years unless the RNG fucks me.

In the old version the number available to recruit scaled inversely with the number of thanes you had. Once you had 50+ sitting around on your tula you could only hire more one at a time, which gets annoying fast. Dunno if they changed this.

While I don't like the map changes, I do like some of the abstractions for the economy. Particularity sheep, since the counter would overflow and you are unable to sacrifice sheep to maintain temples if your sheep count is a negative number.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Let us divine the identity of the murderer!

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

i81icu812 posted:

In the old version the number available to recruit scaled inversely with the number of thanes you had. Once you had 50+ sitting around on your tula you could only hire more one at a time, which gets annoying fast. Dunno if they changed this.

While I don't like the map changes, I do like some of the abstractions for the economy. Particularity sheep, since the counter would overflow and you are unable to sacrifice sheep to maintain temples if your sheep count is a negative number.

It's also partially dependent on how many horses you have available (not that I know where to find that stat.) because each weaponthane you recruit is also given a horse to fight on.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How bad is it to not have your chief have the clan's major god? I just made a tribe and I have no Orlanth-worshippers young enough to expect to make it to the end of the game.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

cheetah7071 posted:

How bad is it to not have your chief have the clan's major god? I just made a tribe and I have no Orlanth-worshippers young enough to expect to make it to the end of the game.

It's really, really bad. The clan's major god is the one that provides the ruling magic for the chief. If the chief is not initiated into that god they can't really be chief, at least not for any reasonable amount of time.

As for not having anyone young enough - don't worry about it. Just put someone who's good as a chief for now, you'll eventually get some new nobles and you can start training up a replacement from them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I meant to put that question in the general thread not the LP, but thanks for answering anyways!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jenx posted:

It's really, really bad. The clan's major god is the one that provides the ruling magic for the chief. If the chief is not initiated into that god they can't really be chief, at least not for any reasonable amount of time.

As for not having anyone young enough - don't worry about it. Just put someone who's good as a chief for now, you'll eventually get some new nobles and you can start training up a replacement from them.

You might say this, but I had an amazing decade with an orlanth worshiper as chief of an ernaldan clan.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Divine our murderer. Then loose the War boys!

Gridlocked posted:

Divine the nature of the murder then throw cows at it.

One of these things is gonna happen!

Aww dude.

Sartark's gonna make a whole thing about this every time we go out to the pub now, I just know it.
"Hey remember that time I said it was Chaos, and our ghost ancestors said it was Chaos, and then I waterboarded a bunch of our own guys and I found the Chaos and we killed the Chaos?"

Urgh.

Magic -1
Mood +

Urgh.

Neither the farmers nor the warriors are very happy. Holding a feast would be a good idea, or asking Chalana Arrory for her Hope blessing.

Alright this seems like an idea. It is currently Storm Season

What say you Wutang Clan?

- Build a temple to Chalana Arrory to gain access to her Hope blessing?
- Sacrifice to Urox
- Hold a feast
- Something else

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 2, 2015

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Sacrifice to Urox. We should ask the destroyer of Chaos to frighten any remains away.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Haifisch posted:

The one thing I'd add is the count of cows/magic/etc for events. It's really useful to know where we're sitting on that stuff when making decisions.

I'll try to do what with every post. It's just the event screen is a jumbled mess and I can't really do a 'quick crop' of it. Here's what the event screen looks like in the Steam version.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Sacrifice to Urox

He may smash our houses and scour us with the desert wind, but it is still better then Chaos.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Hold a feast. There is no problem that can't be solved by getting drunk and eating cows.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I recall feasts being tremendously ineffective. Also, you can't get the hope blessing from a shrine, it's a one-time boost to mood.

Thus, ignore the mood and explore the tula. The best way to raise the mood is to be wealthy, which means doing generically-good actions like getting treasure and getting useful blessings from gods.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*bzzzt* we are already exploring the tula.

Try again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I thought you were asking what to do this turn, not this year in general. You can never explore the tula too much.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No I mean Vandarl is already out exploring the tula. I don't think you can have multiple exploration parties, can you?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Infinitum posted:

No I mean Vandarl is already out exploring the tula. I don't think you can have multiple exploration parties, can you?

Pretty sure you can.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You can. Also, if he didn't return instantly from exploring the tula, I think that means he's dead, though the game doesn't officially tell you to give up hope for I think two years.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

Unless we just want to not have any war magic in the foreseeable future, you seriously really urgently need to sacrifice to Urox.

Infinitum posted:

Infinitum posted:

Next up, exploring. It's probably good to explore, and at the very least I want to know what's to the North-East.

He's not exploring our tula. You sent him far away to the North-East, and kind of dagerously close to troll territory, but who cares about losing valuable nobles, really!

And you totally can have several exploration parties out. Just not in your tula, because that gives you a result instantaneously.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It's worth noting that some of the gods prefer different things sacrificed to them! Urox and Chalana Arroy in particular only really react to sacrificing goods, while most of the rest of the gods prefer cows. I'm pretty sure there's at least one god that prefers thralls, too, but that's not possible for us.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It's worth noting that some of the gods prefer different things sacrificed to them! Urox and Chalana Arroy in particular only really react to sacrificing goods, while most of the rest of the gods prefer cows. I'm pretty sure there's at least one god that prefers thralls, too, but that's not possible for us.

Wait, we don't have a shrine to Maran Gor? We have shamed the angry earth! There will be no mighty earthshaker cavalry for us and the great moving mountain will come to the tula and knock down all our walls, woe and dismay!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Infinitum posted:

Sartark's gonna make a whole thing about this every time we go out to the pub now, I just know it.

Oddly enough, pubs are not a part of Orlanthi culture. They are seen as decadent because they prevent everyone drinking together as kin.

And whilst the Orlanthi have very different Moral outlooks from our own they are one of the more understandable factions within the setting. Certainly more so than Dragon Newts or the vast and chaos ridden Lunar Empire. Of which we will be made aware but not see just yet.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Josef bugman posted:

Oddly enough, pubs are not a part of Orlanthi culture. They are seen as decadent because they prevent everyone drinking together as kin.

And whilst the Orlanthi have very different Moral outlooks from our own they are one of the more understandable factions within the setting. Certainly more so than Dragon Newts or the vast and chaos ridden Lunar Empire. Of which we will be made aware but not see just yet.

The bits and pieces I've seen of Glorantha made it seem like all the human cultures were more or less relatable, though the Orlanthi are the most overtly "heroic".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

The bits and pieces I've seen of Glorantha made it seem like all the human cultures were more or less relatable, though the Orlanthi are the most overtly "heroic".

Sort of true. I mean the majority of them all have real world stand ins. The really different ones like Kralori are a bit trickier because they don't really match up properly.

The main issue is the fact that the Red Moon and it's adherents are, whilst fantasy Romano-Buddhists, kind of Chaotic and very easy to make into the villains. So too are the various different versions of Trolls (known as Uz) who want to flood the world, devour everyone and live in Darkness. Or the Dwarves, who are just the worst.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Propitiate Malia. Curse everyone who looks at us funny.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Sort of true. I mean the majority of them all have real world stand ins. The really different ones like Kralori are a bit trickier because they don't really match up properly.

The main issue is the fact that the Red Moon and it's adherents are, whilst fantasy Romano-Buddhists, kind of Chaotic and very easy to make into the villains. So too are the various different versions of Trolls (known as Uz) who want to flood the world, devour everyone and live in Darkness. Or the Dwarves, who are just the worst.

Kralori are the very worst example you could have picked. They are literally han china. Like, to an embarrassing degree considering the diversity elsewhere, like the lunars.

Josef bugman posted:

Funnily enough, one of the clans you can ask to join your tribe demands everyone build a pub on their tula.

Your women get angry and burn it down repeatedly for keeping the menfolk away from their families until you resolve the situation.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NewMars posted:

Kralori are the very worst example you could have picked. They are literally han china. Like, to an embarrassing degree considering the diversity elsewhere, like the lunars.

I'd disagree. They appear to be far more of an outsiders initial ideas about Han China. To me they aren't even close, the secret society ideas are okay but; the set up of the cities, the lack of geomancy the idea that somehow there were tight controls, the institution of examinations etc etc. All of these point more to a very different idea of the Han than what actually existed, which is a real shame in my opinion.

They could have gone with the T'ang or earlier and it would have been awesome. Instead its just "let's add more dragons".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I'd disagree. They appear to be far more of an outsiders initial ideas about Han China. To me they aren't even close, the secret society ideas are okay but; the set up of the cities, the lack of geomancy the idea that somehow there were tight controls, the institution of examinations etc etc. All of these point more to a very different idea of the Han than what actually existed, which is a real shame in my opinion.

They could have gone with the T'ang or earlier and it would have been awesome. Instead its just "let's add more dragons".

Well, yes. Frankly it's very embarrassing considering they've got cultures everywhere else that draw real world inspiration and use it in a new and unique way.

Like the kingdom of ignorance, which is right next door and about the only place they interact with ever. It is a badass place, full of humans ruled by trolls who perform blood sacrifice to the black sun, Yelm's shadow.

• Locked thread