Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Drastic Actions posted:

Go to your SA User Control Panel on the site and enable "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color".

Also there are no page navigation buttons. For bookmarks it automatically gets all of them (and it should be getting all of them if you have the newest version). For normal thread lists, it automatically goes to the next page when you scroll down the list.

Hmmm... I already have that set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Crayvex posted:

Hmmm... I already have that set.

Sorry, I meant "Highlight threads I've seen in a different color"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've suddenly lost the button bar on the right of the dual thread-list/posts view, meaning the buttons to go to next/previous page, posting replies, etc. are missing. The thread-list part is also unusually narrow. The missing button bar flashes visible for a short while if I reopen the bookmarks view from the left side menu, but disappears before I can tap anything.

Same problem on two different devices.
Screenshot

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

I've suddenly lost the button bar on the right of the dual thread-list/posts view, meaning the buttons to go to next/previous page, posting replies, etc. are missing. The thread-list part is also unusually narrow. The missing button bar flashes visible for a short while if I reopen the bookmarks view from the left side menu, but disappears before I can tap anything.

Same problem on two different devices.
Screenshot

I intentionally made the thread list narrower because it was too long. :v:. It made the app hard to use in portrait or if the window was small, so I wanted more space to work with while I work on making that entire list collapsible. So that's a feature.

The button bar missing is a bug probably brought on because of me screwing with the left pane. I'll fix it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, at some point I will integrate polls. No idea when, just started screwing around with it

That's just showing I have a poll showing up, not the final UI :v:.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 24, 2015

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Drastic Actions posted:

Sorry, I meant "Highlight threads I've seen in a different color"

That did it! Thanks again for making this app, :)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I'm working on bug fixes and other such stuff, and I'm making some changes to how settings are handled.

In the next update, when you go to the settings page, you have to click "Save Changes" to save whatever settings are on the page. This will fix the settings resetting for some of the fields whenever you enter, and then saving it when you leave. Background Notifications are also more granular. Now you have to enable "Background Tasks" to get any background features. Then you can enable live tiles or notifications separately.

As a result of that, I also enabled this

Now when you have a notification of a thread, you can either tap on the notification itself, tap on "Open Thread", or "Sleep". "Sleep" turns off notifications all together, so if you're, say, in a game, and you don't want any notifications at that time, you can turn them off right from the notification itself.

Note that this turns off all notifications for the app. If you want them back, you have to turn them back on in settings. I might make a "snooze" mode, but for now this should be good enough.

EDIT: just a little side bar on some other issues I've seen and am working on. The app may crash or you'll lose the thread view if you open the app, and then reenter the app by using the tile or start menu. This is because the way I'm trying to handle memory issues with the webview, and will be fixed.

Also there may be a memory leak if you keep reentering the bookmarks or thread views. Why? Great question. I need to figure that out. Sorry all :shrug:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 27, 2015

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I'm having a weird issue wherein the bookmarks don't load at all until I go to the home section and quit the app, then relaunch it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wookieepelt posted:

I'm having a weird issue wherein the bookmarks don't load at all until I go to the home section and quit the app, then relaunch it.

Drastic Actions posted:

EDIT: just a little side bar on some other issues I've seen and am working on. The app may crash or you'll lose the thread view if you open the app, and then reenter the app by using the tile or start menu. This is because the way I'm trying to handle memory issues with the webview, and will be fixed.

Also there may be a memory leak if you keep reentering the bookmarks or thread views. Why? Great question. I need to figure that out. Sorry all :shrug:

That's this issue. And I fixed it last night. The workaround is don't reenter the app from the start menu if it's loaded.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Just started using this the past few days, generally like it but getting quite a large number of crashes, usually when posting. I always launch it from the taskbar. Using W10 (on slow ring so latest patched stable build).

Faulting application name: AwfulForumsReader.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x55df0a9d
Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.10240.16431, time stamp: 0x55c9bf27
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x0000000000464bd7
Faulting process id: 0x1318
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0e2a44737b58d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\52978DrasticActions.AwfulForumsReader_10.5.17.0_x64__3qc77y7q18m6m\AwfulForumsReader.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
Report Id: 31ccb8b0-a4b5-4b6d-802f-5b9525867b6d
Faulting package full name: 52978DrasticActions.AwfulForumsReader_10.5.17.0_x64__3qc77y7q18m6m
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Just started using this the past few days, generally like it but getting quite a large number of crashes, usually when posting. I always launch it from the taskbar. Using W10 (on slow ring so latest patched stable build).

Faulting application name: AwfulForumsReader.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x55df0a9d
Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.10240.16431, time stamp: 0x55c9bf27
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x0000000000464bd7
Faulting process id: 0x1318
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0e2a44737b58d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\52978DrasticActions.AwfulForumsReader_10.5.17.0_x64__3qc77y7q18m6m\AwfulForumsReader.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
Report Id: 31ccb8b0-a4b5-4b6d-802f-5b9525867b6d
Faulting package full name: 52978DrasticActions.AwfulForumsReader_10.5.17.0_x64__3qc77y7q18m6m
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Yeah, that error means nothing to me. Something in XAML screwed up... I have no idea. The more useful error messages and call stacks are sent to me automatically when crashes happen. For example:

There were tons of crashes last week, and 99% of them that were given were due to the tile launch bug. As I wrote above, if you launched the app via the tile when it was already open, it would crash (This is why you see the Windows 10 build Lumia's and the tablets having the most crashes, since they are more likely to use the tile for multitasking, rather than the multitasking menu). This was because of some "creative hacking" I tried with the webview, trying to reuse one webview for every page in the app instead of loading in new ones.

EDIT: I should also say that it's not just through the tile, but if that page never unloaded and then tried to use that webview again, it would crash. It was only a matter of time before it crashed. Hence the huge number.

Basically, I had to scrap that idea, and that's how the counts are back down to "normal" levels of 10 or so a day. The rest of the errors are database errors, usually with a race condition with the database being locked when another operation wants to use it. I'm looking into that. But these are rare, as in maybe one or two a day.

Now, the posting issue, it's not a "bug" within the post view. It's memory issues that come to a head when you do post. When you navigate to a new thread, it loads in the webview on right side (or navigates you to a new thread view page, if your window is small or you're on a phone). Basically I'm loading the SA thread, parsing it, turning it into my HTML and then navigating that resulting string into that webview. The issue is that it never clears the entire cache when navigating to that new page. Usually that's okay, since things like avatars and other images are compressed and the garbage collection usually takes care of it. But when you have gifs or youtube videos, those all get loaded and then never let go. The funny thing is, it actually does clear it fine if you are navigating to a webpage. But a string? Nope, does not work right. At least for me. :shrug:

So when you finally write and then send a post, the surge of memory allotted comes to a head, and the app closes. Not crash, but closes. That's a big difference, since I don't get told when that happens. So I can look at my stats and not see that happening. In this case though, I do know it's happening, because it happens to me.

For now what I can say is when writing a post, use the "save draft" button before you reply. That way if/when it does stop, you can reload the draft. I can replicate the webview issue outside of my app so I need to see if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is an actual bug in the framework.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Drastic Actions posted:

For now what I can say is when writing a post, use the "save draft" button before you reply. That way if/when it does stop, you can reload the draft. I can replicate the webview issue outside of my app so I need to see if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is an actual bug in the framework.

Noted, thanks.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Also fun fact: I wired up the "Refresh Thread List" function in the thread list view to the wrong command, so it didn't do anything :doh:. From my stats, the majority of people just go to bookmarks or navigate to forums once, then go to another, then navigate back, not using the refresh button. Still, can't believe I didn't catch that sooner. That's what I get for copy and pasting :v:

It's fixed in my trunk build and should be out for the next update.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Also fun fact: I wired up the "Refresh Thread List" function in the thread list view to the wrong command, so it didn't do anything :doh:. From my stats, the majority of people just go to bookmarks or navigate to forums once, then go to another, then navigate back, not using the refresh button. Still, can't believe I didn't catch that sooner. That's what I get for copy and pasting :v:

It's fixed in my trunk build and should be out for the next update.
Actually relating to refresh, one niggling annoyance is when I refresh a thread to catch up on recent posts (such as I do often when following a sports thread on a live game), I'm pushed back to the top of the current page, requiring to scroll down back to the last post I was viewing every time. Would it possible to have the refresh thread function jump back to the last displayed position in the future?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

That explains why when I hit refresh it just seemed to "flash" for a second and didn't do anything!

With regard to the low-memory causing threads to close, I was going to see if there's some way to have it toggle a page last read after you actually arrow over to the next page? It would require some active action to set LR to the first post on the displayed page when it comes up, but, it would be nice w/r/t not being able to earmark the current position in the thread for resume, as the memory related resume does just resume the app to the foreground.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The gang tags sometimes take a bit too much space...

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

The gang tags sometimes take a bit too much space...

Technically that's a different bug. My parser does not support gang tags, but since this person does not have an avatar, it grabs the tag and says it's the avatar. They should have had a max width limit but for whatever reason it was not being respected here with the tags.

I fixed it so that that all images there will have a max limit width. So that should not happen again. I also made more CSS changes which fix the block quotes so they look less lovely, as well as adjust the media elements.

Edit:

Oh yeah, I also added a new option for returning to where you were via the tile. So of you use it, it won't return you to the main page.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 8, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The bookmark list is sometimes getting 'caught' on my phone when attempting to scroll - as in it'll prevent me from scrolling up or down when I flick, with the list moving slightly in the direction I want then snapping back, just like when you try to scroll past the top or bottom of the list.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The bookmark list is sometimes getting 'caught' on my phone when attempting to scroll - as in it'll prevent me from scrolling up or down when I flick, with the list moving slightly in the direction I want then snapping back, just like when you try to scroll past the top or bottom of the list.

If you're talking Windows 10, then it's a ScrollViewer bug in the control framework. You can replicate it outside of my app in other ones that do similar things to do pull to refresh (including their sample for making their version. Mine has slightly different xaml but the principle being used is the same)

So either it will get fixed in a later build of Windows 10, or it won't. But there's not much I can do other than not have pull to refresh.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I tried to submit a new APPX to the store a few days ago, but it failed certification. For whatever reason, Microsoft thinks one of my store logos is not the right size (63x63 instead of 64x64), so it failed. It passed the Visual Studio cert on my computer, so I don't know why it failed on their site :(.

But while I talk with them to try and figure it out, I did fix a few more things.

You should be able to hide the sidebar now. I also fixed more of the CSS in the thread view (People with no avatars should not have blank spaces by their names, quotes should actually look decent.) as well. Also included is the ability to log out again and a simple check when starting to app to see if you need to reenter your login credentials.

So I'll try again and see if I can get this update out to everyone.

Edit: Screenshots from Lumia 1520

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 6, 2015

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

I tried to submit a new APPX to the store a few days ago, but it failed certification. For whatever reason, Microsoft thinks one of my store logos is not the right size (63x63 instead of 64x64), so it failed. It passed the Visual Studio cert on my computer, so I don't know why it failed on their site :(.

But while I talk with them to try and figure it out, I did fix a few more things.

You should be able to hide the sidebar now. I also fixed more of the CSS in the thread view (People with no avatars should not have blank spaces by their names, quotes should actually look decent.) as well. Also included is the ability to log out again and a simple check when starting to app to see if you need to reenter your login credentials.

So I'll try again and see if I can get this update out to everyone.

Edit: Screenshots from Lumia 1520

I love you; that was my only major complaint using the app on my 1520.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Resubmitted to the store, so we'll see what happens :shrug:

Also had time to add one more feature

EDIT: And it has now passed certification! :toot:

It'll be available within 24 hours.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 7, 2015

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Works swell now, thanks! Glad permissions work too, though either I accepted it with what it wanted in the past, or it doesn't prompt when you change them.

I see the sidebar collapse too but I still keep rotation locked, as it redraws at the top of the thread page when you rotate rather than staying where you were.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
There are two things at play with the webview, depending on the device. On the phone, normally, if you go from the thread list view to a thread, you're actually going to a new thread specific page. If you're on the desktop, you have the thread list and thread side by side, UNLESS you shrink the window view in which case you're getting the phones master/detail view.

On the 1520, if you hold it vertically you're getting the master/detail two page view. If you hold it horizontally you have enough room so it shows the same view as on the desktop, side by side. Those are two different webviews with no knowledge of your place in the thread, hence it "redrawing".

But even if they were the same webview, your place would still be kinda lost because that's just how the webview works in general; it does not hold exact location of what you were looking at. You can try it on a Windows Tablet. Now, I could track where you are in the thread and then, on rotate, fire some javascript to get you back to that specific post. And that might be what I do. I'll think about it.

BTW I'm also adding more Cortana support, for Bookmarks and PMs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Eh, now I can't get the app to display just the list of bookmarked threads. It's either split view or only posts. Still on a tablet in vertical 800x1280 mode.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

Eh, now I can't get the app to display just the list of bookmarked threads. It's either split view or only posts. Still on a tablet in vertical 800x1280 mode.

I got a Lumia 640, and I didn't realize that when u held it horizontally, it would go into the split view. I thought that was only for the 1520.

I'm going to revert that change, which should fix your issue.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Having a toggle between split view and dedicated views for forum index/bookmarks and thread view is probably good, I could definitely see myself wanting to switch between them when using the app on my HTPC. But I can't see wanting to use split view ever on a small screen device (less than 10" or so?) in portrait orientation.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

Having a toggle between split view and dedicated views for forum index/bookmarks and thread view is probably good, I could definitely see myself wanting to switch between them when using the app on my HTPC. But I can't see wanting to use split view ever on a small screen device (less than 10" or so?) in portrait orientation.

You're right. I'm not getting rid of the side button, but I'm just changing the defaults so that you should not see that view in those instances, on phones or screens of those sizes.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Is it possible to show whenever someone quotes us in a different color?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wookieepelt posted:

Is it possible to show whenever someone quotes us in a different color?

Yes, it is possible.

EDIT: Not currently in the app, but it will be when I push a new version :v:.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 22, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I'm going to push a new update out to the store. It has a ton of little bug fixes I've made since the last update, and some new features. Including the stuff I've talked about above, like showing your name in quoted messages.

I also added jump list support, so now you can add your favorite forums directly into the shortcut of the app. And I also have nice "Open Bookmarks" and "Open Private Messages" feed buttons there too.

This only works if you're on threshold 2, so you have to be updated to the newest stable build of Windows 10 to get this update.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I can't tell or not, but does this app have touch gestures yet? Would love to be able to swipe to go to next page, etc.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Latest update work great on 640, so thanks for that. Three requests, if possible:

- The top, side and bottom bars still show when fullscreening a video. Not a problem when vertical, but when holding the phone horizontal it means the video is sandwiched on all sides by the UI.
- Can we get a favorite smileys feature? I can never, ever find the ones I want, ever.
- My previous issue with not being able to scroll bookmarks properly still stands, and since you thought it was related to the pull to refresh feature, would it be possible to have the option to turn that off? I only really use the refresh button anyway.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 20, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
For some reason I can use this app at work even though the forums are blocked through a browser and all the images and smiles are broken. Would be nice to have the option to cache all current smilies into phone memory.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

- My previous issue with not being able to scroll bookmarks properly still stands, and since you thought it was related to the pull to refresh feature, would it be possible to have the option to turn that off? I only really use the refresh button anyway.

Also having this issue on my 640. Apart from that everything else works great, thanks for the awful app!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Not getting rid of pull to refresh, because I use it. Honestly I don't think it has anything to do with what I was doing anyway because I could reproduce it without that code and in separate projects (less frequently, but I could catch it on the rebound when scrolling from the bottom of a listview). And I've seen the same behavior when using Microsoft's pull to refresh approach in their GitHub samples and in the official Twitter app. So... yeah, don't know. Don't really care.

I changed it to a different approach that is a bit more fast and loose with how it handles compression when pulling down the top of the list (as in, it does not do it) so it probably won't catch. I think it's shittier, but whatever.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 23, 2015

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion
Is there any way to copy an image's URL in the app? Right click doesn't seem to do anything and double click just offers to save it. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Heavy Hands posted:

Is there any way to copy an image's URL in the app? Right click doesn't seem to do anything and double click just offers to save it. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Nope. Long presses and right clicks to bring up those menus don't work in WinRT webviews, only in IE/Edge. Quote a post and copy it that way.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The only issue I have right now is that in YOSPOS mode; when somebody quotes you the yellow is unreadable.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Pushed a new update to the store. Should fix a few issues people have been having.

• CSS updates to quoted posts. Now if you are using the dark theme and you're quoted, it should actually be able to read it.
  • Updated the sqlite database backend. You may see a constraint update error when running the new version for the first time, but it should not crash and should correct itself afterward.
  • Rewrote pull to refresh. So it should not snag.
  • Added a Swipeable SplitView. You should now be able to swipe on the left edge of the splitview (on desktops, tablets or phones) to show the navigation menu. You should also be able to drag on the empty space below the navigation list to select a nav item. It should hopefully make navigation easier for one handed use.
  • A bunch of other things I probably forgot, or more things I broke in the process :v:

Expect to see a store update in the next 24 hours.

EDIT:

And while I'm here, a list of things I'm looking at.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Latest update work great on 640, so thanks for that. Three requests, if possible:

- The top, side and bottom bars still show when fullscreening a video. Not a problem when vertical, but when holding the phone horizontal it means the video is sandwiched on all sides by the UI.
- Can we get a favorite smileys feature? I can never, ever find the ones I want, ever.

Favorite smilies are a thing I can do, although the search field should persist, so you can search for them there, then click on the search results when you need one. At some point I'll add it, but I'm thinking of different ways to make accessing this stuff easier.

The video stuff is because the WinRT UWP webview, and there's not much I can do about it. That's just how it handles HTML5 videos from what I can tell. I can handle the UI to hide other fields if you full screen a video, but it will require a big rewrite to make that work. So yeah, don't expect that any time soon. Sorry :(

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

First time running - failed to download forums list. Refresh forums list does nothing, so is restarting the app. Apparently there is no way to get forums list now :D Running on a phone.

• Locked thread