Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Click for proper tunes.

A box came in:

Bullshit came broken:

Managed to kludge it back together and then it hobbled off:

Self control is not my strong point:

Comparison with a QB6:

After a friend loaned me his QB6, I decided that I needed more terrible Chicom air rifles in my life. A takedown, side-lever, bullpup in 22 that can take a 177 caliber barrel assembly was just the thing to scratch that itch. My friend's ears perked up when I told him about my new desire for a QB57 and he insisted on being included in a group buy to save shipping once I was ready. He then decided not to wait for me to save some cash and had me order three on him in exchange for a holster as his patience is usually non-existent. One for me, one for him with spare 177 caliber barrel assembly, and one to give to a friend of his.

I'll reserve a second post to nerd out but have to run right now as my daughter just walked by with five pounds of whole wheat flour and I should probably see what is going down in my kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

E: Waffles. She is making a shitload of waffles.

Reserved for bullshit no one will care about like muzzle energy, average velocities, standard deviations, &c.

177 Caliber:

7 grain RWS Diabolo Basic pellets

Average Velocity - 687.5 FPS

Extreme spread - 26 FPS I was pleasantly surprised by this

Standard Deviation - 8.29 FPS

Average Muzzle Energy - 7.3 FPE

22 Caliber:

14.3 grain Crosman Premier Hollowpoint pellets

Average Velocity - 488.5 FPS

Extreme Spread - 33 FPS Still not as bad as expected

Standard Deviation - 11.09 FPS

Average Muzzle Energy - 7.5 FPE

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 31, 2015

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Want

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Are those $99 Chicom airguns worth a poo poo?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

How are the sights on these? I was looking at them myself after you posted about the QB 6.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The sights are a war crime. My rear is getting widened with a file until I find a decent red dot with 11mm dovetail base.

E2M2 posted:

Are those $99 Chicom airguns worth a poo poo?

Are you mechanically inclined enough to tweak some minor fit issues and enough of a free love hippie to see the beauty in things as they are? Then sure. But not as an only or first air gun. These are capable guns that need some work to shine.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Just got a little surprise.

RWS Diabolo Basic tend not to be my favorite pellets and I only stock them because they are a cult classic and I should. But the 177 caliber barrel just put four into a 0.33" group across my deck despite not even being close to broken in. Number five blew the group to 0.6x" but was probably my fault. Three of the tight four cloverleafed. This barrel has definite potential.

The 22 caliber barrel assembly told the Crosman Premier Hollowpoints to get hosed and patterned like a shotgun. The pellets are very tight in the breech and finally pop into place. they might be getting damaged in loading. The breech might need deburring or just find a less chubby pellet to shoot. Nevermind the terrible sights, being the first group I shot, and the rifle not even having begun to break in. Or the rifle just might not like them. Too early to say with any sort of certainty.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Man it's like someone said the SKS bullpups weren't ugly enough. But it looks fun just the same.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Which, combined with price, is why I will not hesitate to unscrew the dovetail and replace it with a bit of picatinny from an Alpha handguard to mount my TRS-25 as a red dot

:dremel: needs to be an emote

E: I also fully intend to get a 177 barrel assembly for myself to introduce to a pipe cutter just in front of the handguard, re-crown, glue on a fake flashhider, and mount a little scope of some description.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 31, 2015

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Cans really do make the best pellet targets. Not so much water bottles though, I shot at one and hit the very top where the cap screws on, apparently that is pretty drat tough as the pellet came zooming straight back at me and nailed me in the forearm.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'll reserve a second post to nerd out but have to run right now as my daughter just walked by with five pounds of whole wheat flour and I should probably see what is going down in my kitchen.

Butch Cassidy posted:

E: Waffles. She is making a shitload of waffles.

Kinda want to know the rest of this story

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

DJExile posted:

Kinda want to know the rest of this story

Well presumably they all had some waffles.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

About two quarts of whole wheat buttermilk waffle batter. Whisked up in our biggest steel bowl. She also wrapped a fork and knife in a napkin for each place setting. And also put out butter and assorted preserves and jelly. While, unknown to her, I had potatoes in the oven to do up loaded baked spuds but those wound up saved for later when they came out because I had a six-inch stack of buttered waffles with Moxie jelly to work through.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

that's adorable

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Top to bottom - Labrador Retriever, BSA Lightning XL with gas ram, QB57, Crosman Optimus:

The QB is definitely a compact package compared to even the compact break barrel.

I should compare the bullpup to the Optimus to look at two approaches to budget springers. That can wait until a shipment of pellets comes is delivered and I finish the break-in.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Fixed the lovely sights with a good old fashioned chin-weld:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

That thing owns so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It's more fun than it should be. The red dot makes for a great time with reactive targets.

I quickly hacked the growth down on a little rise in front of the retaining wall and tossed some steel on the ground:

Backed up about ten meters with the bullpup to test the layout before going out of my way to improve the range. It was a mellow morning. I might start putting a push-in earplug in my right ear, though, as the compression chamber can get a bit much under my face after a while. Not really any more obnoxious than the Diana 54 Air King I was also shooting. It's a mid-power plinker as loud to the shooter as a scopekiller magnum.

• Locked thread