Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Perceptive has Anger gain on the mastery, it depends whether you want Survival as a secondary win condition instead of just going full blast for MPPv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I would be on board with Survival as a secondary. I like having options.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I sorta feel that 18 just isn't very good right now. Is there a particular reason you need her in the deck? Garlic and Piccolo are both very good in Black right now.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

No reason, I just want to.
I'm running a Blue Broku deck right now, and when I get back home from work next week, I plan on putting together a Black Devious Krillin, I just really wanna try to make Perceptive 18 work.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

the_steve posted:

No reason, I just want to.
I'm running a Blue Broku deck right now, and when I get back home from work next week, I plan on putting together a Black Devious Krillin, I just really wanna try to make Perceptive 18 work.
I think the only way 18 works in black right now is a mid range type of deck with survival as the win con

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
black perceptive turles/nappa has been on my list of things to build for awhile, but just haven't got to it yet. I did a lot of testing with red/orange turles this set and its close, but just not quite there yet. Been having most of my luck so far with... Black Devious Krillin. I run an agressive build ( goodstuff.dec ) and i have been having pretty good results with it so far. No one ever expects to see a black krillin player use Digs.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

I got 2nd place at the win-a-sphere tournament at forgotten path games. I did a brief tournament report with decklist:

http://dbztoptier.com/forums/index.php/topic/6494-2nd-place-deck-list-from-forgotten-path-win-a-sphere/

If anyone watched the stream i was the black krillin player who got rear end raped in the finals match.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

If I had 2 starter decks from Evolution and wanted to build a few decks as an LCG with this, would I be better off with 3 starters from the base set and a booster box, or two booster boxes

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Probably two boosters. The starters have some really good cards, but nothing you can't order online for fairly cheap. I would go with the boosters, up your chance of pulling an Ultra Rare or any of the staple cards.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Set 1 has a lot of really good cards in it, plus you have the chance to pull a sphere which you could potential sell for 1.5 more boxes!

Set 1 starter box would give you 5x a lot of really good staple cards, plus you would hopefully get atleast 1 of each of the set 1 MPs ( krillin and piccolo are really good )

After that all the sets besides set 2 have very good Ultra rares that you could potential sell and just about pay for the price of the box.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
This dropbox has complete Set 5 spoilers. Lots of fun stuff.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

jhorphear posted:

Set 1 has a lot of really good cards in it, plus you have the chance to pull a sphere which you could potential sell for 1.5 more boxes!

Set 1 starter box would give you 5x a lot of really good staple cards, plus you would hopefully get atleast 1 of each of the set 1 MPs ( krillin and piccolo are really good )

After that all the sets besides set 2 have very good Ultra rares that you could potential sell and just about pay for the price of the box.

Krillin is awesome, hell, I'm running a Devious DB deck right now. It's only lost twice, once against a Black Devious Ginyu deck (And I won in the rematch), and once against a Red Ruthless Turles deck my brother was playing. I got some lovely draws and he was able to land some incredibly solid hits before I could get my board setup.

The only downside is that I think 99% of Krillin decks run the SDCC promo version of his level 1. I don't think I've seen any love for his normal level 1.

Piccolo is also a beast. I think his Evolution stack is the better of the two, but his Set 1 stack is good too.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Just a heads up for everyone, i have started hosting a podcast with the store owner of forgotten path games. We will be focused on competitive content. One episode up so far, but we expect to get them added bi-weekly.

http://westernkai.podbean.com

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'm liking that Master Roshi MP.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

jhorphear posted:

Just a heads up for everyone, i have started hosting a podcast with the store owner of forgotten path games. We will be focused on competitive content. One episode up so far, but we expect to get them added bi-weekly.

http://westernkai.podbean.com

This sounds interesting, but I don't usually like listening to podcasts. Do you have a transcript?

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

No transcriipts, but ill think about that as a feature to add in the future. We are aiming to keep our casts short ( this one was way longer than we wanted at 48 minutes ). Ideally we want to keep stuff at 30 minutes.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Went to a Perfection release tourney today. Took 9th out of 21.
It was rainbow format, so, any MP/Mastery combo was allowed with any combination of styled cards (Except Hero Vegeta/Namekian Restored, they decided that was banned.), and there were no alignment restrictions on cards, so Villains could use Hero-only cards and so on.
Edit: Clarification: We were all given 8 booster packs to build our decks with.

I took Saiyan Rampaging Android 18.

First Round: vs. Black Devious 18
I won. Managed to hit 2 early because they played Clash of Wills on their first turn. I could have hit 3 with Cell's Draining Attack, but I wanted to try to win by MPPV to see if I could do it. Ended up spending a lot of time on Level 2 before finally managing to level up any. Eventually won by survival, though I think I did hit level 4.

Second Round: vs. Blue Tagteam Trunks
I lost. I could just never make any headway against him, bad hands, and I didn't have any good ally removal in the deck, so I couldn't get rid of Dr. Brief, which gave him consistent hand advantage. What really hurt was the Saiyan Flip, since straight stage damage is 18's kryptonite. Plus, I was completely unaware that it affected both sides of the field, so I probably missed out on a few plays there, but not enough to have saved me.

Third Round: vs. Namekian Restored Krillin
I won. Barely. It was really close. Especially since I apparently missed a LOT of chances to use the Hit effect from my mastery. It really boiled down to who would land an energy attack first in the last combat. Krillin was sick, since he could gain 4 anger thanks to his level 1 power and his mastery. Android 16 Ally was a lifesaver, as he shaved a lot of damage from the attacks.

Fourth Round: vs. Namekian Restored Piccolo
I lost. Another close game. I hit a slump where I would keep drawing nothing but energy blocks on my turn, so I couldn't go into combat, and then when he entered on me, I had no energy blocks. Plenty of anger hate kept me stuck on level 2. In the last combat, when we both had less than 3 cards left in deck, he popped me with Yamcha's Expert Assistance, forcing me to pass, then he passed, leaving me to draw out. Arguably my least favorite loss, because I always see that as a bitch move. I know it's perfectly valid, and I've done it more than once with my Krillin deck, but it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Final Round: vs. Black Devious Trunks
I won. Honestly, it wasn't even close. Through a really good draw, and a bad hand on his part, I was able to chain together and jump from level 2 to just shy of 4 in one turn very early in, and bust him for a bunch of life cards doing it.
I hit level 4 pretty quickly, but then my anger cards stalled out on me for awhile and he played catchup. I eventually decked him out, though I was trying for MPPV.

Ended up winning 2 boosters and a playmat. I already had the playmat, so I gave it to my brother.
I don't know his exact matchups, except that 3 of them were against Blue Protective decks, but, he went 1-4, and his 1 was a bye, with him running Blue Protective Frieza.
But, he pulled Power Mimic and won a raffle for one of the door prizes (A DBZ binder with a promo Saiyan Body Blow), so I think he came out ahead on the deal.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 29, 2016

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why wouldn't you use empowered? chance missed!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

bowmore posted:

Why wouldn't you use empowered? chance missed!

Because Empowered explicitly states that it only works with Saiyan cards, so even in a rainbow format, I would have been hamstrung.
Rampaging does not specify Saiyan cards.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't know that counted for rainbow format

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, since it expressly says Saiyan on the text. Same with Blue Protective, you can discard ANY Physical or Energy card, but unless it's Blue, you don't get the Anger effect.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

The original saiyan mastery was actually errataed to say styled and not saiyan. It is in the CRD

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

jhorphear posted:

The original saiyan mastery was actually errataed to say styled and not saiyan. It is in the CRD

That only applies to cards that are rejuvenated though, doesn't it?
That's what it says in the latest copy of the CRD I have.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

You are 100% correct, they only errata'd the first sentence. I could have sworn they errata'd the second part too.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

So how did everyone's release events go? We were doing launch pack format at my shop, i went with krillin and the namekian restored mastery. I ended up getting all physical attacks and almost no physical blocks, ended up stage locked for 90% of my games, it was not a good day.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

jhorphear posted:

So how did everyone's release events go? We were doing launch pack format at my shop, i went with krillin and the namekian restored mastery. I ended up getting all physical attacks and almost no physical blocks, ended up stage locked for 90% of my games, it was not a good day.

We did a regular Sealed event, where everyone gets an Evolution Starter and three Perfection packs. There were six of us, and, amusingly, two of us opened Namekian Piccolo, two of us opened Orange Vegeta, and the other two got Red Android 17. One of the guys with Android 17 also get a Namekian Restored Mastery, but we decided he couldn't use it. I was pretty happy to get a Piccolo, as that's what I usually play, but I got ran over by the Android 17 decks. Didn't get enough blocks and control options, I think.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

We did a regular Sealed event, where everyone gets an Evolution Starter and three Perfection packs. There were six of us, and, amusingly, two of us opened Namekian Piccolo, two of us opened Orange Vegeta, and the other two got Red Android 17. One of the guys with Android 17 also get a Namekian Restored Mastery, but we decided he couldn't use it. I was pretty happy to get a Piccolo, as that's what I usually play, but I got ran over by the Android 17 decks. Didn't get enough blocks and control options, I think.

From what I've heard, the 17 decks were objectively the best built if you're looking at only starters, though the Goku one was up there too.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Trunks is pretty good too

i'm going to a sealed event on Saturday, bring your own mp set + mastery and you get 8 boosters

not sure what combo to bring, if I had a Krillin stack I'd use that but I don't

possibilities

Old Piccolo stack with Black Devious
Old Piccolo stack with old Saiyan
New Vegeta with Blue protective
New Vegeta with Black Devious

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

bowmore posted:

i'm going to a sealed event on Saturday, bring your own mp set + mastery and you get 8 boosters

possibilities

Herogeta with new Namekian Mastery was ruled as OP and banned at the shop I go to play in, so, maybe that? I mean, you literally draw a card and gain 2 anger for free.
If you like your odds of pulling a Dr. Briefs, Blue Tag Team Trunks wouldn't be bad, since you'll have near constant hand advantage.
Similarly, if you think you've got a shot at pulling Android 16 ally, bring an Android MP.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

the_steve posted:

Herogeta with new Namekian Mastery was ruled as OP and banned at the shop I go to play in
Oh hey, that sounds pretty good

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Speaking of, herogeta blue is actually like a tier 1.5/2 deck this set I think, rather than an insane noob trap

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It does seem like Herogeta got some love in this set, though I honestly don't know how viable he is since

1. I've been focusing solely on Roshi and Trunks
and
2. I never know poo poo about the meta or things like that anyways

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

bowmore posted:

possibilities

From what i have seen, take old vegeta w/ the old saiyan mastery. Seems to be a pretty OP.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Another shameless podcast plug

http://westernkai.podbean.com/e/western-kai-podcast-episode-2/

Russ and i break down our top 5 cards from set 5.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Not sure if there is still anyone paying attention to this thread or not. We have a new organized play season starting, and lots of neat stuff coming from panini. Is this thing on?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The new CRD is good, because Namekian Cell was basically a stranglehold on the game's evolution. I don't think Black Krillin was as strong as its representation numbers implied but people just loving love using that deck for some reason so I guess it's good it got slapped down a bit too.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think they did what was needed to be done, cutting off two win cons for the entire meta is not healthy for the game

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jhorphear posted:

Not sure if there is still anyone paying attention to this thread or not. We have a new organized play season starting, and lots of neat stuff coming from panini. Is this thing on?
I'm going to a couple of local championships, one or two regionals and the national championships in Australia

loving stoked!

hey if anyone wants to sell a sphere or two let me know

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The new CRD was definitely interesting. I was personally glad to see the Cell nerf, that poo poo was ridiculous.

The limiting on Black Smoothness Drill was a mixed blessing, since I run Black Devious Roshi - On the one hand, oh no, my Smoothness! But on the other hand, Hey, that frees up 2 slots in my deck for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

I can see why cell was nerfed, he was getting a little too oppressive. But they just went whole hog on namekian, but i guess thats ok.

I am a black krillin player, so i am a little bummed about the smoothness drill nerf, but i have other options lined up. Still testing to find out what im going to play at the Salem OR regional. u

And plus with the release of Brolly, we might finally get a physical beats deck!

• Locked thread