Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Legends say that when demons awaken from the depths of darkness, and turn the world into a living hell, the Goddess of Fate will select six heroes and give them the power to save the world.

It is always six that are chosen.

And for this reason, they are known as the Braves of the Six Flowers.

Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers (Rokka no Yuusha) is a currently-airing anime adaptation of a light novel series by Ishio Yamagata (also wrote The Book of Bantorra) directed by Takeo Takahashi (best known for Maoyuu and Spice and Wolf). It's pretty neat so far, with a fresh Mesoamerican-ish setting and a cast that bounces off each other fairly well.

Cool setting!

Fun characters!

Anime tiddys!

Watch it!

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
They've been doing a good job of ending each episode on a cliffhanger that legitimately makes me excited to see the next, rather than just pissing me off.

I mean, I knew that (ep 4) their clever barrier plan would have to go wrong, but I didn't expect them to throw a fake Brave into the mix at the same time. I'm thinking it's probably not the shifty guy, as he's too obvious. My money's on protective sword guy just trying to get Nashetania's attention/protect her, but I could believe the new purple haired lady.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Saying the author is "of no other note" is pretty harsh, considering his previous series also got animated.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The title should have been Rokka Me Like A Hurricane

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

darkgray posted:

Saying the author is "of no other note" is pretty harsh, considering his previous series also got animated.

Oh hey. I saw the name "Tatakao Shisho" and didn't recognize it, but yeah, I've heard of The Book of Bantorra. I'll fix that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

The title should have been Rokka Me Like A Hurricane

Well where were you when I asked in the season thread?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Well where were you when I asked in the season thread?

Chilling and having a nice lunch.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

Chilling and having a nice lunch.

Poor decision making.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'm especially fond of the orchestral BGM. It feels very organic to the show and manages to build up the tension/excitement nicely.

{anime only spoiler)
As for who the seventh is, I'm leaning towards one of the three people introduced in ep 4. "Obvious" they may be, but their tattoo positions are all weird in their own ways and that's pretty much all we have to go on.

Maura: On her back, occluded by her hair, while all the others are visible from the front, even if they require clothing to be moved.
Humpty: On his left pectoral, whereas the others are all symmetrical in some manner with the others.
Chamo: On the lower half of her body, where all the others are on their respective upper halves.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 30, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
(ep4) Dang, I was just thinking they made it obvious in the OP, where they have six tattoo things shown back-to-back, but then I realized that they just didn't have Adlet.

Or wait... :tinfoil:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

(ep4) Dang, I was just thinking they made it obvious in the OP, where they have six tattoo things shown back-to-back, but then I realized that they just didn't have Adlet.

Or wait... :tinfoil:

Adlet's a possibility; someone in the Summer 2015 thread pointed out that the scene where he gets the tattoo is pretty sinister looking. Having the mole be unwitting like that strikes me as a bit of a cop-out, though.

I suspect Nashetania. A lot of her interactions with Adlet in the first couple episodes are pretty odd; it's like she's experimenting to figure out how best to manipulate him.

You can make a case for anyone, though. Flamie sort of slips over the radar by being too obvious; I can imagine it ending with her saying "I told you I was trying to revive the Demon King. :smugjones:" Goldof has one weird reaction shot that can be interpreted as guilt about betraying Nashetania.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Silver2195 posted:

Adlet's a possibility; someone in the Summer 2015 thread pointed out that the scene where he gets the tattoo is pretty sinister looking. Having the mole be unwitting like that strikes me as a bit of a cop-out, though.

I suspect Nashetania. A lot of her interactions with Adlet in the first couple episodes are pretty odd; it's like she's experimenting to figure out how best to manipulate him.

You can make a case for anyone, though. Flamie sort of slips over the radar by being too obvious; I can imagine it ending with her saying "I told you I was trying to revive the Demon King. :smugjones:" Goldof has one weird reaction shot that can be interpreted as guilt about betraying Nashetania.

Do we really need to spoiler stuff that was broadcast like a week ago? I pick either the MC or the gunner as they are the only two with marks in the same place.

edit* spoilers per request.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 30, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Hagop posted:

Do we really need to spoiler stuff that was broadcast like a week ago?

Eh, most recent episode stuff being spoilered is standard ADTRW policy. I'd sooner spend a few moments using the tags than spoil someone who cares.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 30, 2015

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

It's probably reasonable to spoiler tag everything on the first page, since people might visit it for info before they watch a single episode.

In other news, I just put in an order for vol 6 of the light novels. Too bad it'll take over a month to get here.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I think the traitor is almost certainly Adlet and he doesn't know it or Nashetania since she's been acting suspicious as gently caress when she was alone with Adlet and she freaked out when she found out they were trapped in the fog barrier.
The laughing guy and the kid seem too obvious to be the evil one and are just red herrings, and they've already gone through the brave killer story with Flamie so I don't think they would do that and reveal the traitor so early just to retread that story at the end. Could be the person who set up for the fog barrier or Nashetania's knight friend I guess, but Adlet or Nashetania just make more sense to me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I think we can discount Flower placement since if it being in different locations on the body was notable it would've been mentioned by now considering the 6 Braves is basically a National Epic they have every so often as a major tradition and a existential crisis each time.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

In the first episode, there was mention of a Demon King. I could totally see the twist being that Adlet was chosen not by the Goddess but by the the Demon God. I mean really, what use does the strongest man in the world need for allies?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Help! I think there are supposed to be posts in this thread but all I see is wierd black boxes!

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
That's what you get when you start a thread 1/3 of the way through a show.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 30, 2015

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Was tempted to make the thread describing each character as one of the Shichinintai and drawing as many parallels with jewel shards/Demon Lord Naraku/etc... but the concept just wasn't clever enough (or arguably at all). Plus I'd have to admit to watching over 100 episodes of Inuyasha.

As for who's in the Mafia...

I think everyone seemed quick to jump to the traitor conclusion (as proposed by Sketchy McTrustingSmile). Maybe that's because I'm with Cantaloupe:

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

...My money's on protective sword guy just trying to get Nashetania's attention/protect her...

I'd be OK with an evil Flamio, except... if she was capable of killing Braves and posing as one, wouldn't she have laid low until they were chosen and then blow one away (I'm assuming chosen Braves can't be immediately replaced). Being sniper support behind 5 unsuspecting "allies" seems a much better place for betrayal than vs 6 that already have good reason to suspect you.

But I'm hoping that it's either Adlet or Nash mainly because they've had more time to be developed and establish dynamics with others in the group.

Edit: Also because Nash isn't fabulous enough to be Jakotsu...

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 31, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
The rules of narrative drama and conflict suggests it's either a "Ah she's the mole all along and told us" with Flamie; likely she was brainwashed by the Demon King before breaking free in time to become a Brave; or some other mystery. She seemed to imply she knew some sort of hidden secret that would cause all sorts of mischef, either what we already know or something else we don't.

Or "The love interest!?" Option with Nashetania, we've been with her for long enough to probably like her especially when she snuck out to meet Adlet and then freed him. What her goal would be in all this is strange if she is the mole.

Or Adlet, which we have the strongest evidence so far because it seemed like the Demon King was reaching out to him, but he seems like a good guy so this is interesting what the plan here is.

The other characters I don't have any attachment too yet, so they are unlikely.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Regarding Flamie, my read is that she's going to have a story like "I'm the first Saint of Gunpowder and I needed to know that I was alive/chosen/in my prime when the Demon King was revived, because I'm the only person who can end all this nonsense once and for all"

Regarding Nash: She immediately knew when the flower tattoos were parceled out and came and got Adlet out of his cell. That makes me inclined to trust her more than, for example, Goldof who, despite his steadfast devotion to his princess, didn't appear on the stage for another episode or two. Presumably, if he had gotten the light show, he would have rushed back home whatever his specific military duties.

That said, Nash's almost-immediate acceptance of Flamie rubbed me entirely the wrong way, and I don't know what to think of her temper tantrum in the temple.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

...I don't know what to think of her temper tantrum in the temple.

I do hope there's more to her freak out than: she's just that fragile. Given some backstory it would be interesting to have their strongest support class go psycho-FF-flying-knives at unpredictable intervals.

Trying to break up the black boxes a bit...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Ferretts posted:

Was tempted to make the thread describing each character as one of the Shichinintai and drawing as many parallels with jewel shards/Demon Lord Naraku/etc... but the concept just wasn't clever enough (or arguably at all). Plus I'd have to admit to watching over 100 episodes of Inuyasha.

This is one of the nerdiest ideas I've ever heard, and I'm sad you didn't go through with it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Episode 4 I feel like it has to be Adlet or Neshatania at this point, and given the way the plot has gone, I think it'll be a let down as there is no actual traitor. My first guess was that it was Adlet who doesn't know he's the fake, but since he's the hero main character he will defeat his fate and help topple the demon lord.

Neshatania I realized could also be the fake, and I realized she had a pretty good out when someone in the season thread noted her weird breakdown. With how much she worships the legend and how she acted in the first episode, I can totally see her doing something to fake being one of the chosen after going crazy because she wasn't one of the six. In this case, she can be forgiven and isn't a real traitor either.

It's a bit of a cynical reading either way, but so far this show has really lost all confidence I had in it after the first episode.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Goldoff needs to talk to other girls beside Nashetania.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'll call it now, all of them are moles who don't know the others are also moles and they accidentally kill the demon king in their wacky attempts to betray each other. The survivors will come out of demon land to find six heroes sitting around all confused.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

galagazombie posted:

I'll call it now, all of them are moles who don't know the others are also moles and they accidentally kill the demon king in their wacky attempts to betray each other. The survivors will come out of demon land to find six heroes sitting around all confused.

The Man Who Was Yuusha.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lets start by killing flamie :buddy:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Her white eyelashes really annoy me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What surprised me in EP4 was that the fiends were capable of doing poo poo like talking and disguising themselves as humans. I mean, there were hints that they were capable of pulling off stuff like ambushes, but I figured that was just them being controlled by some general or the Demon King's will.

Also Flamie is cool.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

darkgray posted:

It's probably reasonable to spoiler tag everything on the first page, since people might visit it for info before they watch a single episode.

In other news, I just put in an order for vol 6 of the light novels. Too bad it'll take over a month to get here.

If you could point out the differences between the anime and the light novel I'd appreciate it darkgray, those are always interesting to see. I'm picking this show up now, keep on making threads for rad new shows OP.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

NowonSA posted:

If you could point out the differences between the anime and the light novel I'd appreciate it darkgray, those are always interesting to see. I'm picking this show up now, keep on making threads for rad new shows OP.

Sorry, it's been over 2½ years, and I don't remember details very long. This anime is moving very slowly compared to other LN adaptations, though. I think there are English translations for Rokka vols 1-3 floating around, btw.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hmm, maybe I'll hunt those LN's down, I'm loving everything about this show right now. Even the moments of ridiculously bad animation to save on the budget don't really bug me.

Mole stuff: I think Adlet's the strongest possibility because there was a lot of demon visions and imagery going on when he got his symbol, and it'd make sense for the protagonist to have a conflict like that going on. It's possible he could be controlled by the demon god without his knowledge as well, which would explain how the fog temple was activated. He got taken over, went and activated it, then walked back out and had his possession end and was like whoa hey, what's with the fog all of a sudden? He can't find anyone when he enters the temple because there wasn't anyone else around.

Then again, they just explained that normal human's can't enter the Demon land, and is the protagonist really gonna sit things out when they head there? I guess it's possible that even a false symbol/blessing can provide protection, but that wouldn't really make sense for the Demon God unless he wanted a REALLY deep cover agent. Of course, with Adlet's skillset he's by far the most likely to be able to figure out a way around that. Adlet does know more about fiends than the rest, but this is a new tactic any way you look at it so I don't think his knowledge would have prepared him for it. Most of the rest haven't been preparing for this event as much as Adlet either, it's possible his master was part of a cult worshipping the Demon God and set up Adlet way in advance as a poison pill.

If it's not him, my money's on swamp Loli. Of course, it's very possible someone has a strong sense that they need to be a Brave and is faking it, with Nash and Knight who loves Nash as the strongest contenders in that area.

It'll be interesting to see how they try to figure this out, pretty convenient that they're trapped and seem to have lots of time to find the traitor.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

NowonSA posted:

It's possible he could be controlled by the demon god without his knowledge as well, which would explain how the fog temple was activated. He got taken over, went and activated it, then walked back out and had his possession end and was like whoa hey, what's with the fog all of a sudden? He can't find anyone when he enters the temple because there wasn't anyone else around.

This is pretty good, though I don't feel like that sort of pathos would fit with how his character has been portrayed so far. Also unless they find some way to counteract it, once the secret is out wouldn't it be hard to justify keeping him around?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the rabbit girl is the most cute hth

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

She looked better in her maid outfit in the first episode.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Well I'm steadily marathoning the Rokka light novels now. I can heartily recommend them, they're pretty drat good reading, though I think the anime will be better as a whole since it's just so drat pretty to look at and hear. I'd compare the light novels to a shorter version of Harry Potter with more action and an overall more mature storyline. It's kind of a mystery/fantasy/action hybrid, I'm through most of book 2 now and it's all good so far. The English translation I found covers up to most of book 4, out of a total 6 that have been released so far with the latest having come out just a few days ago.

I'll step up and start pointing out differences between the anime and the LN from episode 5 onwards, though I don't expect there to be a dramatic divergence. I always like hearing about that kind of stuff, and I can't imagine they get quite as detailed as the LN did. I'll be fairly liberal with spoiler tags, and if anyone has simple questions about characters I can probably give some background info. I know a lot about Adlet's backstory and training, for instance.

I'm pretty certain that this first cour will just cover the first book, since it wraps up its storyline nicely and there's still a LOT of ground to cover in only 8 episodes. I think they probably viewed this as a bit of a test season, if it does well they can go right into production on more and do at least a cour a year for each book. In a relative rarity I don't think there would be concerns about outpacing the source material.

Of course, I now also know how things will go from here on out, so I'll try to refrain from further speculation on things like who the seventh flower is. I expect to fail at it though, so don't be surprised if I start throwing around crazy theories that can't possibly be true for my own amusement. I will advise you to pay close attention to what people say and do from now on, there should be a surprisingly large number of clues going forward, and I think once you have the whole picture you'll be able to catch some cool little things during a rewatch that you may have missed.

Lastly, I love the ancient Central American architecture and imagery they've used so far, it's something you rarely see in anime and really makes the show stand out!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This is one of the nerdiest ideas I've ever heard, and I'm sad you didn't go through with it.

I'll be comparing the seven flowers to either the Justice League or the Avengers soon, once everyone's seen them a bit more.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 1, 2015

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Are you comparing it to Harry Potter because that's literally the only book you've ever read before this, or is there a similarity somewhere I'm missing completely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm thinking specifically about how most Harry Potter books go through an arc of "We think Dave is the bad guy, oh now we think Gary is the bad guy, oh but really Steve was the bad guy all along!" They also have it all kind of fall into place in the end, which I felt the LN's do well pretty consistently, at least two books in.

It does bug me though because I keep thinking there's another book comparison that is waaaaay better, but I just can't nail down the name in my head.

• Locked thread