Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Rhyno posted:

They have shown us nothing to lead us to believe that they can access alternate futures at any point in the show. I still think they missed a massive opportunity in not having both Kiera's alive and in competition for the same ticket home.

Didn't the Freelancers lifeboat jump between timelines? That's basically the same thing

EDIT: nope I misremembered, it just sent her back in time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Didn't the Freelancers lifeboat jump between timelines? That's basically the same thing

EDIT: nope I misremembered, it just sent her back in time

Yup, sent her back a week.

I think Escher alluded to traveling forward but we haven't seen anyone do so.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Continuum continues to be gold.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

Continuum continues to be gold.
This is infuriatingly non-specific.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Also what exactly has to happen for a Timeline to collapse like it did when Alec decided to bail? I suppose in that particular case since Alec leaves that timeline his older self would never start the corporate congress and freelancers would not have existed....
The whole timeline collapsing was very weird to me...

PS: for those who like a special Time Travel mindfuck movie, I highly suggest the movie "Primer".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/
It's low budget as gently caress (7000$), pretty much made by regular people in a garage, but it is so far the only Time Travel movie I've seen who is completely consistent with multiple time travels within the same Window, and what the resulting consequences are.

Evernoob fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 26, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Mars4523 posted:

This is infuriatingly non-specific.

I'm trying not to be spoilery to those waiting until Sept. 4th :(

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Evernoob posted:

For her? Maybe it would be... knowing the other alternatives may have been much worse.

PS remind me, what exactly triggered the Kellogapocalypse timeline? Him taking control over Piron/Sadtech, correct? So we can easily guess who the Spacemarines' first target will be, and who will be the one trying to stop them because *reasons*.

Given that Canadians live in the future, and I am a time traveller, I can tell you that the Spess Marins are Kellogg's people. 401 doesn't explain why they are here though.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Evernoob posted:

Also what exactly has to happen for a Timeline to collapse like it did when Alec decided to bail? I suppose in that particular case since Alec leaves that timeline his older self would never start the corporate congress and freelancers would not have existed....
The whole timeline collapsing was very weird to me...

Okay, so they're all in their original timeline right, in 2077. They get sent back into the past 65 years or so, but they're still in the same timeline. No matter what they do (Kagome blows up the building in the past, but that event already happened in the future), it follows the same path that the original timeline takes. None of their actions really matter, because they can't change the future, perhaps make tiny, tiny dents (Kellog's grandma's death), but nothing major. Except for Alec.

Imagine a world without Einstein or Tesla or, heIl Hitler. People essential to our history, good or bad, and responsible for making the world the way it is. Take them out and our world fundamentally changes. Take Newton out, and maybe we don't discover light particulate behavior for another hundred years.

Alec is apparently so important that his non-existence in the timeline completely collapses the future, like cutting a tree at its base.

But we got a glimpse of different timelines in the show:

They jumped to a different timeline, a completely different branch whose future has already been impacted severe enough (simply by Alec jumping to it) to break off from Kiera's own future. So now Kiera is in a new timeline that branches off probably exactly a week before she leaves. The only reason that can be is that both timelines need to meet after a time when future Alec is able to send Kiera and Liber8 back in time (So the new timeline can branch off at anytime after Liber8 and Kiera come to the present and the proof is that Liber8/Kiera #2 are in the new timeline). Most likely though, the change came from Alec himself jumping a week into the past and creating a whole new branch with two Alecs.

Hopefully all of that makes sense.

Evernoob posted:

PS: for those who like a special Time Travel mindfuck movie, I highly suggest the movie "Primer".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/
It's low budget as gently caress (7000$), pretty much made by regular people in a garage, but it is so far the only Time Travel movie I've seen who is completely consistent with multiple time travels within the same Window, and what the resulting consequences are.

Is this the movie where they crawl through a box and end up back in the past? I heard that writers are also actual physicists who were attempting to make the movie as realistic as possible (in terms of Time travel mechanics).

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I don't think the universe lacking Alec is what caused it to collapse. If he simply winked out of existence the Universe probably would have continued forward, though to an entirely different future. It wouldn't have collapsed as dramatically as it did though.

Alec going back 1 week changed enough in the past that the sequence of events that made up the original timeline no longer occurred. The Universe was effectively cut off from its own past and collapsed.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Hiya, pal :buddy:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

THF13 posted:

I don't think the universe lacking Alec is what caused it to collapse. If he simply winked out of existence the Universe probably would have continued forward, though to an entirely different future. It wouldn't have collapsed as dramatically as it did though.

Alec going back 1 week changed enough in the past that the sequence of events that made up the original timeline no longer occurred. The Universe was effectively cut off from its own past and collapsed.

Ah, the Millennium effect. Time to get some Kris Kristofferson up in this.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Ravane posted:

Is this the movie where they crawl through a box and end up back in the past? I heard that writers are also actual physicists who were attempting to make the movie as realistic as possible (in terms of Time travel mechanics).

Yes, that's the movie. Making it as realistic as possible results it in being a bit boring to regular people. But if you really try to follow the different versions of the same character going through the same, but slightly different, motions it is quite interesting.

It's not as much like groundhog day though, but more like the scene in back to the future 2 where he spies on his former self in 1965 and steps in at the opportune time without his prior self noticing.
This but like 10 times over. With 2 different people doing so. And trying to stop each other and outsmart the other, or their former selves.

Also thank you for your branching explanation. I should bench the last half of season 3, I watched them one at a time. Some stuff doesn't stick as well I guess.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

THF13 posted:

Yeah, actually I think you're right. That makes quite a bit more sense.

It's weird to think about because the second Alec goes back, all the changes that he has yet to make, have already happened in the timeline, which is why him leaving technically causes the timeline to begin destabilizing. Which makes me question whether another additional timeline was created when Kiera goes back, along with the original Alec enters.

Like a new branch is created when Alec goes back and the entire week passes without interference from Kiera, because in Kiera's timeline, it's already all happened.

Then Kiera goes back in time to stop Alec, and a new branch gets created again, this time with Kiera and Alec together in the same timeline.

I made a terribly drawn picture to explain it:

Evernoob posted:

Yes, that's the movie. Making it as realistic as possible results it in being a bit boring to regular people. But if you really try to follow the different versions of the same character going through the same, but slightly different, motions it is quite interesting.

Yeah, I've been meaning to watch this movie, I actually had forgotten the name for a while until you brought it up. Thanks for reminding me! I actually prefer my science -fiction to be more science than fiction, so I don't mind about it being too intricate, haha.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

:psyduck:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Ravane posted:

Yeah, I've been meaning to watch this movie, I actually had forgotten the name for a while until you brought it up. Thanks for reminding me! I actually prefer my science -fiction to be more science than fiction, so I don't mind about it being too intricate, haha.

Let me know what you thought of it. Just a warning though : horrible acting/production/camera work. But hey, what would you expect with a 7k budget.I've seen a lot of strictly worse multi million productions.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I'm rewatching season 1 for a bit and Travis is such a goddamn psycho. He just murdered two innocent women in an attempt to erase Kiera or Kellogg from existence.
In other news, Garza got married :allears:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Her character did seem to have an awful lot of tension with Kiera. :)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Oh, man, that is too cute for words. :3:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

:allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CeeJee posted:

I'm rewatching season 1 for a bit and Travis is such a goddamn psycho. He just murdered two innocent women in an attempt to erase Kiera or Kellogg from existence.
In other news, Garza got married :allears:

God drat look at that smile. I can see why they always have Garza scowling, if she smiled like that she's cease to be terrifying.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
Looks like all the crazy Traveler theories are out.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Oh my god i thought this got cancelled. I an so happy

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I love that she's still in denial and fixating on getting home.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Jesus, Carlos took Travis straight to the own zone :stare: god drat

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Jesus, Carlos took Travis straight to the own zone :stare: god drat

No kidding. This show's brawl score is Travis: 500+ Everyone else: who cares

I really like what this show does with the super soldier concept. He's just loving unstoppable even after you hit him with a car and shoot him three times

Really liked this episode for other things too. "You want to go back. Still. To the shithole future we came from?"

Also: :geno: "Of course."

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 12, 2015

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I like this show's style of hand-to-hand fights in general. In fact, i like it so much, that this season Emily punched and kicked her way into my heart. Tell girl, might your last name by chance be Stonebridge? :allears:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Carlos getting his karate on, was magic.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The dropping an item from one hand into your other hand move I love seeing any time it's done.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The chairfight as quite cool too.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Does anybody else feel a bit lost with the show?

I watch quite a few shows, and binged Continuum last year (admittedly, I was still smoking weed back then).There's just so many things confusing me right now, small and big(ger).

Why/how is Emily such a badass that she almost singlehandedly takes down two rather large dudes? Why are Travis and Garza trying to kill Kellogg right now? Is Garza light side or dark side?

Anyone know of a place that has a good synopsis of the show so far, that isn't the length of the King James Bible?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

richardfun posted:

I watch quite a few shows, and binged Continuum last year (admittedly, I was still smoking weed back then).There's just so many things confusing me right now, small and big(ger).

Why/how is Emily such a badass that she almost singlehandedly takes down two rather large dudes? Why are Travis and Garza trying to kill Kellogg right now? Is Garza light side or dark side?

Anyone know of a place that has a good synopsis of the show so far, that isn't the length of the King James Bible?

I don't know any good synopsis but if I am remembering correctly.

Emily was always a badass, she was hired to get close to Alec because she had those skills by Mr. Escher who turned out to be Alec's father. (Who Emily kills)
Travis and Garza are trying to take down Kellogg because he took over Alec's corporation that they hate and isn't working to stop the corpacolypse they came back to prevent.
Garza is firmly in the middle I think, she wants to prevent a terrible future but is willing to be evil to do it.

One thing that is throwing me off is Kiera wanting to get back to her timeline, I thought she had accepted last season that her specific future was already totally destroyed and was pretty poo poo to begin with.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Eeee that was great. I literally giggled and clapped my hands when Kiera broke the news to Kelogg about Emily escaping. I was slightly underwhelmed by the first episode of the season, but hell yeah, this was great.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

richardfun posted:

Why/how is Emily such a badass that she almost singlehandedly takes down two rather large dudes?

Emily was a hitwoman/spy/badass troubleshooter that was sent in to get close to and spy on alex, who then proceeded to fall in love with alex. I think she was supposed to take longer to leave but because of the huge compression of the series from 4 more seasons to 6 episodes they're not able to show that, which is why it seems so abrupt.

quote:

Why are Travis and Garza trying to kill Kellogg right now? Is Garza light side or dark side?

Travis and Garza are trying to kill Kellogg because once Good Alex killed Bad Alex there was nothing else left for them to do - Liber8 has disintegrated, the future has been changed from Corporate run to complete Anarchy, and Kellogg is an rear end in a top hat who has screwed them and everyone else over.

Garza is on Garza's side, which pretty much boils down to shooting and killing people that have really pissed her off the most recently, and not shooting/killing those who will help her shoot and kill the people who have pissed her off the most recently.

quote:

The wikipedia articles are pretty good, but for all the nuances you're going to have to watch it non-high. There's alot of double crossing and little things that you'd need to watch the show to fully appreciate.

There's going to be a bucketload of 'hey, that doesn't make sense' coming down due to the show's compression down into 6 episodes, and if you don't remember the previous three seasons you're going to have problems working out what is going on.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

richardfun posted:

Why/how is Emily such a badass that she almost singlehandedly takes down two rather large dudes?
Emily's always been a badass. She's actually introduced as some girl that Alec meets in a bar. In one season 2 ep after they've had sex and Alec leaves for something a goon breaks into the house. She's not quite dressed and coming down the stairs to investigate this odd noise and you the viewer gets this visceral fear that the pretty little girl is going to get kidnapped or worse... And then she just utterly wipes the floor with the guy. It's pretty awesome. Turns out she was a plant for Mr Escher's organization who got a little too close to her mark.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

THF13 posted:

Garza is firmly in the middle I think, she wants to prevent a terrible future but is willing to be evil to do it.

Nobody in Liber8 is in the middle. Evil, brutal people have always led the first wave of almost any revolution or liberation movement in the world (well Liber8 is the second/first/time travel is hosed up huh). They murder completely innocent people in the drop of an hat, at a level that "mass murder" doesn't even begin to cover it (remember, they killed 30,000 people in the first episode). This show is probably the first one that tries - and succeeds - in making you sympathize with unapologetic terrorists. Just because the system they are trying to topple is worse it doesn't mean that the way they are trying to topple it doesn't put them comfortably into dark side.

Goddamn this show has some top-notch actors. There are now all these little mannerisms and such now that they have grown into the roles. Would love to see way more seasons of this. :(

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 13, 2015

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

DarkCrawler posted:

No kidding. This show's brawl score is Travis: 500+ Everyone else: who cares

I really like what this show does with the super soldier concept. He's just loving unstoppable even after you hit him with a car and shoot him three times

Hopefully we will get some sweet Travis vs Power Armor action. (Probably not, because of budget though)

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I think they said they were dismantling the power suits, cannibalizing their parts. Which is sad.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Thanks for the clarifications guys. Emily being a spy for Escher had completely slipped my mind. I guess watching it high and playing mobile games at the same time doesn't really work with this show.

Wikipedia it is, since I don't really have time to rewatch the whole thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Xarn posted:

Hopefully we will get some sweet Travis vs Power Armor action. (Probably not, because of budget though)

Travis in Power Armor :getin:

Now he can finally kill his way to the future he wants!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm kind of getting tired of Kiera whining about going back to the future. She knows everything has been hosed multiple times and has a new boyfriend. What makes her think she will see the same kid she keeps dreaming about?

• Locked thread