Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Shneak posted:

Go On. Another one of Matthew Perry's attempted relevance revivals and I personally loved it. The show was about him mourning his wife's death by joining a support group with other emotionally stunted people. The concept is easy to milk emotion but it did it well, plus the cast was funny and stellar.

I hated Matthew Perry but Go On was a really good show especially for people who have suffered a major loss before. I think the season finale ended the show pretty well but there were a lot of moments during the show probably cut too close to home. I'm not sure how the show could have gone on for another season without losing a lot of the emotion hitting moments it had.

THF13 posted:

Reaper was a fun little show I liked. Unfortunately the final season ended by opening up more questions than it resolved which is always disappointing.

Main character is a slacker working at a home depot knock off, turns out his parents sold his soul to the devil and is tasked with capturing escaped souls from Hell.

Reaper got really weird towards the end when one of the characters kept trying to gently caress his adopted? sister.

It's a really good show with Ray Wise as the devil and if you're interested, there's an interview here with the creators that answers some of the questions most people had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kegslayer posted:

Reaper got really weird towards the end when one of the characters kept trying to gently caress his adopted? sister.

It's a really good show with Ray Wise as the devil and if you're interested, there's an interview here with the creators that answers some of the questions most people had.

I tried watching Reaper because of Ray Wise, but then I realized it had that unfunny fucker from Sons of Tucson in it, too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

Oh man, I'm happy to be the 1st person to bring up Frisky Dingo. The show was set for a 2nd season but Adult Swim decided not to renew for some stupid reason. This also probably explains why, by the end, most of the main cast is killed off and the plot goes completely bananas off the rail.

Frisky Dingo did have a second season.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mister Kingdom posted:

I tried watching Reaper because of Ray Wise, but then I realized it had that unfunny fucker from Sons of Tucson in it, too.

The first few episodes are kind of cringeworthy with their humor (Kevin Smith directed the pilot and it shows) but it kind of settled into a nice groove of being silly and fun while actually having a little bit of story.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sash! posted:

Oh, gently caress me. I meant 3rd :doh:

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

LeafyOrb posted:

I've seen Outsourced mentioned a few times, I saw the pilot once thought it was racist and moved on.

You ain't seen poo poo yet! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI

Technically they are webisodes, not TV, but this takes lampooning cultural differences to a whole new level.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The only good thing to come from Outsourced was that it inspired me to watch the original movie, which was actually really good and even shot entirely in India for the India parts.

The show is a bunch of cheap racist jokes for the most part and the most unlikable female hot blond I've ever seen in a sitcom.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I forgot to mention The Critic which had one half season on ABC and another season on Fox. An animated show about film critic Jay Sherman (played by Jon Lovtiz). Some really funny movie parodies and amazing funny gags throughout the show. Grab a copy of the DVD and watch it, you'll love it.

How did I forget the Critic? Fantastic show, but the topical gags are pretty dated.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

IRQ posted:

How did I forget the Critic? Fantastic show, but the topical gags are pretty dated.

Actually the Jurassic Park "Raptors are getting more intelligent" gag is as timely as it ever was. :)

Edit for content. https://youtu.be/nerv5YEiJok

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Medullah posted:

Actually the Jurassic Park "Raptors are getting more intelligent" gag is as timely as it ever was. :)

haha, yeah, that one for sure is.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

KatWithHands posted:

As for other shows, I'd have to say the one-two punch of The Finder and then Enlisted getting cancelled was pretty tough. To be fair, The Finder would have had a hard time getting through Michael Clarke Duncan's death for the following season, but I think they would have figured out a poignant way of doing it.

The concept and general plot of The Finder was enjoyable but it was destined to be cancelled once they started having episodes that delved into the possibility of accidentally 'curing' the protagonist and you know, every loving plot line that dealt with the gypsy chick.

MCD's death just sealed it. His character was too central to the group and 'history', and having anyone take his place (or him missing from it) would have thrown the dynamic out of whack. I'm pretty sure it was going to be cancelled, anyway.

Castle Radium posted:

Speaking of Channel 4 miniseries cancelled before their time, Ultraviolet deserved a longer run than six episodes.

I liked Ultraviolet as well but I think it ran its course as it intended. Look at some of that cast and tell me that you'd want to keep those actors stuck in a vampire TV show for any longer than they needed to. Imagine anyone other than Jack Davenport as Steve in Coupling which came 2 years later.

EDIT: I'd say the same about The IT Crowd, because that was an awesome TV show, but drat it would have sucked if Chris O'Dowd was stuck in that show any longer.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 8, 2015

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

IRQ posted:

I will say it was a precursor to a lot of current cartoons with the quick cutaway gags and general weirdness.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sash! posted:

I have to admit I kind of faded off on watching Archer hit-and-miss largely because I thought they were going to go Frisky Dingo with it and take it right on over the edge full-throttle at it went on, but instead, they started trying to add serious/sweet moments to it, and develop some ongoing relationship drama plot lines, and it just doesn't work for me.

The closest they got was the cocaine season, hampered only by the fact the creators were uncomfortable with having them sell cocaine so just kept repeating the Pam Eats Everything gag. It just feels like they've been playing it more and more safe.

This thread has reminded me I need to watch the rest of the last season, but man, I do in fact miss Frisky Dingo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Doctor Butts posted:

EDIT: I'd say the same about The IT Crowd, because that was an awesome TV show, but drat it would have sucked if Chris O'Dowd was stuck in that show any longer.

But they only did six episodes a series. That's only like six weeks of shooting, isn't it? Seems like there'd have been ample time for him to do other projects, especially when there was over a year between each series.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have to admit I kind of faded off on watching Archer hit-and-miss largely because I thought they were going to go Frisky Dingo with it and take it right on over the edge full-throttle at it went on, but instead, they started trying to add serious/sweet moments to it, and develop some ongoing relationship drama plot lines, and it just doesn't work for me.

The closest they got was the cocaine season, hampered only by the fact the creators were uncomfortable with having them sell cocaine so just kept repeating the Pam Eats Everything gag. It just feels like they've been playing it more and more safe.

This thread has reminded me I need to watch the rest of the last season, but man, I do in fact miss Frisky Dingo.

The worst is that they did a spin-off to FD, called The XTacles, and told them that if the ratings were good for the two eps produced, they go into a series. Then Adult Swim dumped it one night with zero promotion and said "Welp, no one watched it. Too bad. No series."

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Gaunab posted:

Daybreak was a pretty good show that should have gotten more than one season. It wrapped up most things in the end but the overarching story never got a chance to really come out.

Glad to see someone mentioned this. Taye Diggs meets Groundhog's Day guest starring Jonathan Banks. I just rewatched the series last month and it still holds up. Totally satisfying ending.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Davros1 posted:

The worst is that they did a spin-off to FD, called The XTacles, and told them that if the ratings were good for the two eps produced, they go into a series. Then Adult Swim dumped it one night with zero promotion and said "Welp, no one watched it. Too bad. No series."

And somehow those episodes were crammed to the walls with INCREDIBLE LINES.

Every single thing anyone said about Rapier Ape eclipsed everything else in Frisky Dingo.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

precision posted:

The most silly and best reality competition show I've ever seen. Anderson Cooper hosts. A bunch of people try to figure out which one of them is THE MOLE. It's like Dangan Ronpa, but 15 years ago and with Americans.

Damnit, you stole mine! Such an amazing show that just couldn't survive the vagaries of the genre - in English-speaking countries, that is. Denmark still does it every January. Hope you like subtitles.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mooseontheloose posted:

I forgot to mention The Critic which had one half season on ABC and another season on Fox. An animated show about film critic Jay Sherman (played by Jon Lovtiz). Some really funny movie parodies and amazing funny gags throughout the show. Grab a copy of the DVD and watch it, you'll love it.

It's so good and so very funny. Plus Jon Lovitz went Hebrew Hammer on Andy Dick

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Colbert Report.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

The Colbert Report.

I feel like that show actually had run its course. Jon Stewart leaving TDS, however, is too soon. TOO SOON!!!!

I guess I'll get all my news from John Oliver now.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Nah both should have stuck around until after the election. As it is, Colbert missed the Trump train and Stewart only got to ride the initial wave.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's true, aside from Obama's election, this next one will probably be the most eventful and full of poo poo election we've ever had. There are a whole lot of dumb white guys that can't wait to try and be remembered as "finally bringing the white back to the white house".

And then there's Hilary, who I don't think anyone actually likes anymore but who will get tons of votes because people love Bill.

It's gonna be a spicy meatball.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm_t3g4RhpY

Possibly the definitive case of a show being way too ahead of its time, Police Squad! ran for six episodes in spring and summer of 1982 on CBS. Run by the team of Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, and Jerry Zucker, the show featured the same madcap absurd humor that had made Airplane! a hit, and was a showcase for the newly discovered comedy chops of Leslie Nielsen as Detective Frank Drebin.

Each episode had two titles (one displayed on screen, and the other spoken by the announcer), and featured a celebrity guest star who was horribly killed during the opening credits. Each episode also ended with a gag version of the classic "freeze frame" cliche cop shows were known for.

It was just too much. Most sitcoms you can have on in the background, or while you're eating dinner, or while you're finishing up a conversation- Police Squad actually required you pay attention to get all the gags, most of them visual, and there was no laugh track either. Ratings were terrible and the show was canned, only for David Zucker to bring it to the big screen six years later with The Naked Gun, which was a smash hit.

And now you know the rest of the story.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

precision posted:

I feel like that show actually had run its course. Jon Stewart leaving TDS, however, is too soon. TOO SOON!!!!

Didn't John Stewart have a few sketch comedy shows and a couple of different talk shows in the 90s that were cancelled pretty soon, too? Like within a season or so?

Oh, I've got one that I REALLY miss for some dumb rear end reason. About 10 years ago TBS had some late-night show called Midnight Money Madness
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Money_Madness

Ran only a month or so, but it felt really engrossing to watch late at night after coming home. Not many clips of it that I can find on Youtube, but here's one with Ron Jeremy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix4Wcdhf7eU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JediTalentAgent posted:

Oh, I've got one that I REALLY miss for some dumb rear end reason. About 10 years ago TBS had some late-night show called Midnight Money Madness
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Money_Madness

Ran only a month or so, but it felt really engrossing to watch late at night after coming home. Not many clips of it that I can find on Youtube, but here's one with Ron Jeremy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix4Wcdhf7eU

This seems like something that would have been a 5-season hit Adult Swim show.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Police squad is a fantastic choice.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I hope that these haven't been mentioned yet.

Lie to Me: The first episode is just so, so good. The somewhat overdone but never stale "really smart guy outwits everyone else all the time" plot works well, and the interspersing of historical footage of politicians/celebrities mimicking the exact "tells" for lying made it feel more real.

Zach Stone is Gonna Be Famous: I'm a massive Bo Burnham fan so I'm probably very, very biased. It was a good show on a bad network. I mean, MTV? Really? Put that poo poo on Comedy Central and I'm sure it would have lasted longer.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm_t3g4RhpY

Possibly the definitive case of a show being way too ahead of its time, Police Squad! ran for six episodes in spring and summer of 1982 on CBS. Run by the team of Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, and Jerry Zucker, the show featured the same madcap absurd humor that had made Airplane! a hit, and was a showcase for the newly discovered comedy chops of Leslie Nielsen as Detective Frank Drebin.

Each episode had two titles (one displayed on screen, and the other spoken by the announcer), and featured a celebrity guest star who was horribly killed during the opening credits. Each episode also ended with a gag version of the classic "freeze frame" cliche cop shows were known for.

It was just too much. Most sitcoms you can have on in the background, or while you're eating dinner, or while you're finishing up a conversation- Police Squad actually required you pay attention to get all the gags, most of them visual, and there was no laugh track either. Ratings were terrible and the show was canned, only for David Zucker to bring it to the big screen six years later with The Naked Gun, which was a smash hit.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Anyone who appreciated the first couple Naked Gun movies should seriously watch Police Squad. There's only six episodes but if you think about it like a lost 4th (good) Naked Gun movie, it's sure better than watching the 3rd piece of poo poo.

precision posted:

I feel bad for the guy taking over for Jon Stewart. He has such huge shoes to fill that it's almost certainly impossible.

I'll give him a chance for a season or so though. People were railing on Stewart when he replaced Kilbourne, all those years ago, and proclaimed the show "lovely and dead." People don't remember that much - most people don't even remember pre-Stewart Daily Show, though. I was among those that stopped watching.

Checked back in a year later and found it had become fantastic, and that's when it really took off as a cultural thing.

precision posted:

And then there's Hilary, who I don't think anyone actually likes anymore but who will get tons of votes because people love Bill.

At the risk of a political de-rail my reason for hating the idea of Hilary being in the running is I have become really annoyed with entire families trying to monopolize the white house.. gently caress Jeb Bush and by that same coin, gently caress Clinton, based entirely on that.

Any more "same family repeatedly gets to be the US leader" stuff and we might as well just start calling them House Clinton and House Bush.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 9, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Logikv9 posted:

I hope that these haven't been mentioned yet.

Lie to Me: The first episode is just so, so good. The somewhat overdone but never stale "really smart guy outwits everyone else all the time" plot works well, and the interspersing of historical footage of politicians/celebrities mimicking the exact "tells" for lying made it feel more real.

Season 1 of that was fantastic. Tim Roth always goes for it. I think I remember season 2 being bogged down by some less episodic plots. Also it wasn't that overdone at the time because it predated the huge Sherlock and Elementary wave. In fact I would say it's basically what Elementary should have been. I mean I've enjoyed the few episodes of Elementary I've watched but not as much as Lie to Me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I saw Colbert's new show, and it was funny, but I had this nagging feeling that he should still be at Colbert Report where he could make a difference

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll give it a while to make up my mind. The network might have asked him to go easy on the political stuff at first, just to kind of ease people into it. He seems passionate enough that the idea of him becoming a generic talk show host is suspect.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Am I the only one who liked Terra Nova?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Robokomodo posted:

Am I the only one who liked Terra Nova?

No, I loved it, because it was loving terrible in all the best ways.

To say it was unjustifiably canceled is quite another thing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Pretty much every late-night talk show has taken a year or two to find its voice and establish its format, you'd think the thread about shows getting cancelled too soon of all places wouldn't be passing judgement after one episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

At the risk of a political de-rail my reason for hating the idea of Hilary being in the running is I have become really annoyed with entire families trying to monopolize the white house.. gently caress Jeb Bush and by that same coin, gently caress Clinton, based entirely on that.

Any more "same family repeatedly gets to be the US leader" stuff and we might as well just start calling them House Clinton and House Bush.

This is why America is great. We're the only country on earth where if you're rich enough, you can walk all over our political "royalty."

Speaking of which:

Celebrity Apprentice
I'm sure few people would argue that a show that's been on the air for over a decade was cancelled "before its time," but NBC execs are no doubt ruing the day they decided to treat the next president of the United States like poo poo over a petty political difference. Just another smrt business decision from the lowest rated television network.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Life

How can you gently caress up a show with Damien Lewis in the lead? (j/k I saw Homeland season 2)

It was a pretty good premise but it was ruined by a heavy "conspiracy" element that was resolved rather quickly and then it was just "case of the week" which didn't really suit the tone of the show.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blazing Ownager posted:

Hillary's not a blood relation to any President.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

IRQ posted:

No, I loved it, because it was loving terrible in all the best ways.

To say it was unjustifiably canceled is quite another thing.

At a minimum we at least got to see Commander Avatarguy under the influence of some drug that caused him to think a real dinosaur was in fact a hallucination and rode his dirtbike right through that suckers legs. That's probably the one scene that sticks out to me. That and when the T-Rex or whatever comes charging through history.

pentyne posted:

Life

How can you gently caress up a show with Damien Lewis in the lead? (j/k I saw Homeland season 2)

It was a pretty good premise but it was ruined by a heavy "conspiracy" element that was resolved rather quickly and then it was just "case of the week" which didn't really suit the tone of the show.

As far as Homeland goes, well that should have been a one and done as it was originally intended. Each subsequent season has been a huge drop off in quality. There was like 1 good episode last season. At this point I just pretend that when he flipped the switch a big boom happened, then cut to credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

pentyne posted:

Life

Any chance of this show getting positive word-of-mouth online died when they did the episode where a drug dealer hid his records in Prince of Persia and they had to beat it to unlock them and that became the one thing the internet knew about it.

• Locked thread