Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Kyle XY. It's show about a teenage boy who awakens naked in a forest outside Seattle, Washington, with severe amnesia, and behaviors characteristic of a newborn. He is taken in by a family and displays rapid savant levels of learning or relearning. The show revolves around the mystery of how he lost his memory and who he really is.

It got cancelled in its third season despite being highly entertaining, leaving so many unexplained plot threads.

--

What I Like About You. A sitcom with Amanda Bynes, before she went crazy, and after her success in the Amanda show. It's like Friends, except more entertaining because it lacks Ross and has an interracial cast. You've probably seen it and watched an episode or two.

--

Everybody Hates Chris. A fantastic show about the childhood of fictional comedian Chris Rock. Basically Fresh Off the Boat but ten years before. With that buff guy from the Old Spice commercials.

--

Outsourced. It was a horribly racist comedy about life in India, but it was funny. Actually, to be honest, if this show debuted in the 80's, it would have at least 5 seasons. I'm surprised its pilot was even accepted in 2010.

--

Continuum. This show is amazing, and I'm glad it's at least getting a 6 episode finale instead of just being cancelled outright, though it had to wait a year for that. But still, it sucks it's getting cancelled. Season 3 was one of its strongest seasons and it's been highly entertaining throughout. Great actors, great but wholly confusing plot, and intense action.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, once we've started listing shows like Outsourced, we've officially crossed the line from programs cancelled before their time to "shows I vaguely remember being better than dental surgery."

Granted, I did list it as a joke, which I made pretty clear.

For people who think the show wasn't racist, the main character just made insensitive and stereotypical jokes for the entire show's run. Barely showed any character growth, and most of the show's comedy was based on these racist gags ("What's with those hats?" *points to sikh turban and a woman's hijab*). Of course, all the "Vindaloo makes my tummy hurt jokes" which I think people have heard thousands of times.

What jokes weren't racist? The ones set around the characters. You have one woman so shy she can barely utter a word around others. Jokes about that were funny. Not another "indians pray to cows" joke. Not another "Indian names sound funny" and "Indians are so poor" joke. Growing up at the peak of 9/11 fear has made me hear enough of those racist jokes for a life time. I certainly think the show was highly insensitive to people that were persecuted so much for the past ten years before the show aired.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

3000 people died on 9/11. Men and women, cut down in the prime of life. Children forced to grow up without ever knowing their mothers and fathers. Tens of thousands of survivors still suffer from debilitating respiratory diseases as a result of the attacks. And then there's the curry jokes.

Oh boo-hoo, 3000 people died. That's not an excuse to start a war and kill collectively 500,000 US/Afghani/Iraqi soldiers/civilians. Hell, American police have collectively killed 5000 people since 9/11. I see 9/11 simply as a single incident that promoted racial warfare to levels unseen since World War II. Except this time, Muslims are the Jews. And if you were persecuted for having a big nose in 1942, you were certainly persecuted for having brown skin in 2001. I was in 5th grade when 9/11 happened, a year later, a full grown adult beat the poo poo out of me for being a "sandnigger". My own family discovered someone trying to plant a microphone in our house to spy on us. So yes, brown people were persecuted. 9/11 helped create more domestic terrorists in the US as well as a great day for ignorant americans to collectively jerk each other off.

--

On a more relevant note: Moonlight, the show about a vampire detective searching for a cure to his vampirism, was disappointingly cancelled after its first season. It was genuinely interesting, but cancelled because of the 2007 writer's strike.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Medullah posted:

Was that a remake of Forever Knight ?

It actually sounds quite a bit like it, but I don't think it was intended as a remake.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Eureka. The show had 5 great seasons, but was cancelled before they could flesh out the ending. That said, their hastily made ending was fantastic and still a great conclusion to the series. But man, that show should have had a few more seasons.

• Locked thread