Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Dark Project posted:

Space: Above and Beyond. Had really found its legs by the second season, but Fox pulled the rug out from under it so it could get Morgan and Wong back for the X-Files.

SABAB only had one season. And it got measurably worse by the end due to budget issues and the CG of the time (by the end you can literally see the actors miming recoil on their rifles and only having CG effects on 1 out of 5 shots). That's not a dig at the show, I loved it and recently rewatched it.

I'm also going to disagree with Firefly and Jericho. Firefly ended before it could get tremendously lovely, as Serenity very clearly showed us it would. Jericho just never could have had the budget to do what it wanted to do right, but that's not the fault of anyone involved but the network.

I very much agree with Kings, that show was criminally mishandled by the network. An alt-reality show with great supporting actors (admittedly, not really the lead or the love interest, they were pretty wooden) that you could easily rope in the bible fuckers into watching? How do you bungle that so hard? Oh right, NBC didn't even try to make it appeal to the jesus freaks and dumped it on summer back when summer was still a total death sentence.

Terriers being canceled was a tragedy.

I also think Stargate Universe had sort of found its legs, and was way better than Dark Matter, but I'm more pissed that Atlantis got strangled by it when the Atlantis storyline was poised to finally reveal the gate program to the world and give a satisfying wrap-up to the whole stargate story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh, how could I forget Almost Human, it was yet another promising sci-fi show fox killed after 1 season. Great chemistry in the leads - Karl Urban and Michael Ealy (from the excellent but oft overlooked Sleeper Cell) - and a really cool world with a lot to explore. But it was on fox so of course it died in the crib.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Air is lava! posted:

I agree here. All of the procedual crimes where either totally bland or irredeemably stupid and the show kept gushing over bitcoins, which annoyed me on a personal level. Neither of those problems had anything to do with network fuckery. It just wasn't written well. For example: In one episode someone steals faceparts. It turns out he wants tome make himself look like his profile pic, in order to impress his online girlfriend. Twist ending: she's actually blind!
I am a terrible human being who can't really stop watching a tv show, but still hated it so I was glad that it died.

Shows which actually died an early dead are Andy Richter controls the universe and Better of Ted.

I thought all the buttcoin mentions were loving hilarious.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think Kid Nation deserves a mention, even if it probably should have been canceled for being a shockingly bad idea. It was basically the pinnacle of reality tv. The premise was that you take a bunch of 8-14 year old children, dump them alone in a "wild west" town, and watch Lord of the Flies kids build their own society. Within that framework was your standard challenge-reward-voting routine. This turned out much as you might expect it would, although the producers kept things in check enough that nobody actually died, but not for lack of trying:

quote:

During the 40 days spent in Bonanza City, four of them drank bleach (off camera) and one 11-year-old burned her face with hot grease (on camera; she brushed it off). Based on the amount of lawsuits that are filed against reality shows all the time, you’d expect there were tons against Kid Nation but parents signed a pretty disturbing, 22-page liability contract that was reproduced by The Smoking Gun.
from http://flavorwire.com/474701/kid-nation-looking-back-on-tvs-most-disturbing-reality-show

The parents basically signed away all rights to sue even if their kid contracted an STD, got severely maimed, or, you know, died. Somehow this all took place on US soil, although at the time it aired we were sure it couldn't possibly be legal - even Survivor has wised up about filming places with actual laws these days - I'm still not sure how it didn't violate child labor laws, but whatever.

Much like other reality shows, it featured absolutely despicable people that you would take joy in seeing lose, only in this case they were like 10 years old and you got that nice "hey, I'm cackling at the sadness of a child" moment, but Taylor was a loving bitch and deserved it (as confirmed by one of those reddit deals from a cast member). https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1h6srx

I think it's probably all on youtube.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The PJs was on Fox, which I only know because there was a reference to it in actual good show, Futurama.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maxwell Lord posted:

it never belonged on ABC to start with and they hosed with it from day one, not airing a bunch of season 1 episodes and dropping them into season 2 and thus completely disrupting the arc of Chloe and June's friendship, but thankfully Netflix has the episodes in the order they were intended to be seen. A colorful and goofy thing which flew away as quickly as it arrived, leaving us the better for having known it.

They hosed up the episode order so bad that obvious plot points were hideously mixed up, like June would be unemployed or working at a Starbucks one episode then suddenly have a great job the next and then a week later be talking about being broke and slinging coffee again. It was so bad and made no sense, not that loving with the airing order ever has for any show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

Yeah, the movie is quite different tonally and just sort of a goofy zany rom-com, it's not particularly racist, if anything it makes fun of white people a lot.

The show was actually the same way. It was just assumed to be racist, if anything the white people came off looking like assholes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dresh posted:

I found the main character almost impossibly stupid at times. I remember the end of one episode where he was making fun of a statue, calling it "handsy" and it turned out to be the goddess Lakshmi. I mean, I get not recognizing Lakshmi, but how the gently caress does a person in India see a statue with a bunch of arms and faces and not immediately realize that it's some kind of deity?

I don't remember that, or much of the show really, but being an ignorant but well meaning white person was his thing. Being an ignorant but ugly racist white person was the sidekick roommate from the Drew Carey Show's thing. All of the LOL SPICEY FUD MAKE WHITEY POOP jokes were on that guy.

Look I'm not saying it was a great show, just not racist.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, once we've started listing shows like Outsourced, we've officially crossed the line from programs cancelled before their time to "shows I vaguely remember being better than dental surgery."

Hate to agree with Joe but yeah.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fried Watermelon posted:

How do you air the episodes out of order?

Hmm lets play episode 2 before episode 1?

They are marked sequentially aren't they?

Network exec: OH WELL THIS EPISODE HAS MORE ACTION/COMEDY/WHATEVER IDIOT REASON I FEEL LIKE AND WILL DO BETTER RATINGS FOR SWEEPS, WHAT THE gently caress IS A NARRATIVE!!!!!!!! *furiously sucks own dick*

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I forgot to mention The Critic which had one half season on ABC and another season on Fox. An animated show about film critic Jay Sherman (played by Jon Lovtiz). Some really funny movie parodies and amazing funny gags throughout the show. Grab a copy of the DVD and watch it, you'll love it.

How did I forget the Critic? Fantastic show, but the topical gags are pretty dated.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Medullah posted:

Actually the Jurassic Park "Raptors are getting more intelligent" gag is as timely as it ever was. :)

haha, yeah, that one for sure is.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Robokomodo posted:

Am I the only one who liked Terra Nova?

No, I loved it, because it was loving terrible in all the best ways.

To say it was unjustifiably canceled is quite another thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Surface was one of the 3 attempts to pull a metoo on LOST that same fall season - Surface, Threshold, and Invasion. I liked Threshold alright but they were all a bit weak by nature of being shameless attempts to ride LOST's surprise success with a serial sci-fi show on network tv.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Event was garbage but it came 5 years after the LOST clone fad. In fact LOST ended before The Event started. I don't think it was related to LOST, just a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

I bought the DVD set a few years back, it's enjoyable, but doesn't really hold up anymore, and it felt like it ran out of steam about 2/3 through the season.

I should go back and watch that, I only caught it occasionally but everything about it was very much up my alley.

Y-Hat posted:

Metalocalypse, which only would have needed one more season and a movie to be completed. But Adult Swim (let's be real, it's all Mike Lazzo's fault) kept screwing over Brendon Small about the fifth season. Thanks guys!

That show got worse and worse with every season, and was garbage by the end. And I'm someone who caught all the references and loved it for that. Going to 30 minutes killed that show's momentum and it never recovered. Brendon Small, who is great at making funny cartoons, getting all serious about it being a real band didn't help. His music was metal by numbers at best and I'm not convinced he was trying to be parody by the end.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 14, 2015

• Locked thread