Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Maxwell Lord posted:

This show basically came along just when MTV, having mostly abandoned music videos for original programming, was in the process of abandoning scripted original programming for endless variations of Real World, Road Rules, Real World/Road Rules Challenge, and so on.

But yeah, a classic of goofy non-sequitir comedy back when that wasn't overdone.

Man MTV had some good stuff going for it animation wise too, until they decided to go all reality.

The Maxx - A crazy guy who thinks he's a superhero...or is he crazy?

Clone High - Clones of famous people from history (I'M A KENNEDY, I'M NOT ACCUSTOMED TO TRAGEDY!)

And the most bizarre, MTV Oddities - The Head - About an alien living inside a guy's giant head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

xcore posted:

Speaking of good underrated comedies. Raising Hope needs some love. It certainly wasn't cancelled before it's time, but I've never been able to convince anyone that this was actually a good show.

LOVED that show, and had no idea it was cancelled until after I watched the finale. Remember watching it and getting a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach and googling to find out when the next season started. Garrett Dillahunt is a phenomenal actor (another reason why Terminator: The Sara Connor Chronicles was actually a good show).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ravane posted:

On a more relevant note: Moonlight, the show about a vampire detective searching for a cure to his vampirism, was disappointingly cancelled after its first season. It was genuinely interesting, but cancelled because of the 2007 writer's strike.

Was that a remake of Forever Knight ?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

IRQ posted:

How did I forget the Critic? Fantastic show, but the topical gags are pretty dated.

Actually the Jurassic Park "Raptors are getting more intelligent" gag is as timely as it ever was. :)

Edit for content. https://youtu.be/nerv5YEiJok

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lycus posted:

I remember seeing that video way more often than I heard good things about Life.

Well deserved mocking, too.

I don't understand why shows use this trope, I can't think of a single time it was successful. The previously mentioned Profit remains one of my favorite shows of all time because the main character is a legit despicable villain, but every time they go into "virtual reality" I groan.

The best use of it, of course, is Community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQEiXST_qms

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

johntfs posted:

Didn't the Upright Citizens' Brigade feature the guy with the cell phone/pager that was the size of his own body?

You're thinking of Trigger Happy TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

johntfs posted:

What replaced it?

Also let's not forget Friday the 13th: The Series which was a show that had absolutely nothing to do with Jason Vorhees, Crystal Lake or naked bimbos getting macheted to death (most of the time). It was a darker, earlier version of Warehouse 13 which had bickering cousins Ryan and Mickey tracking down evil artifacts who granted abilities to their owners in return for their owner killing other people with said artifacts. I recall one case which featured a vampire hunter with a cross that shot flame at vampires after he stabbed human people to death with it.

If I remember it correctly, Jason's mother's sweater was purchased from the store. Ahhhh the good old days of licensing the name. Right up there with Freddy's Nightmares and Poltergeist: The Legacy out whatever it was.

• Locked thread