Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
WHAS is in regular rotation for me when I want to kick back with a funny-rear end movie. Unfortunately, the audio mix (on Netflix, at least) is really loving terrible, but I just rewatched it on there last week, so it was fresh in my mind and had me ready for this show.

But this show just missed the mark for me. It felt really disconnected in style compared to the movie, lacking the same nuance of over-the-top performances and ridiculous jokes. There were some moments like that, but they were few and far between for what could be thought of as a 4-hour runtime. The whole prequel plot idea didn't really gel with me either. Like, sure, you could argue it's one of those ridiculous jokes I was looking for, but the way they executed it felt really tame at best, and awkward at worst. Would have preferred a show about the next summer after the movie or something.

Was really impressed with them getting absolutely everyone back for the show, though. Netflix money don't gently caress around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

PotatoJudge posted:

The problem with watching the movie on Netflix is you miss out on the DVD's fart audio track.

A shameful omission. When the people making the fart track lose their poo poo laughing after the cowbell comes into play during the talent show always makes me fall out.

Diabolik900 posted:

Michael Showalter looks like a completely different person.

Even in the poster! I really need them to pay it off somehow.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

So I'm having trouble coming up with my favorite line.

It's either:
"I'll fart my way into that snatch. Just you watch."

or...

"I completely agree, there are a lot of elements to this that do not make sense."

Although I definitely got a kick out of "It was a hard day."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jamesman posted:

But this show just missed the mark for me. It felt really disconnected in style compared to the movie, lacking the same nuance of over-the-top performances and ridiculous jokes. There were some moments like that, but they were few and far between for what could be thought of as a 4-hour runtime. The whole prequel plot idea didn't really gel with me either. Like, sure, you could argue it's one of those ridiculous jokes I was looking for, but the way they executed it felt really tame at best, and awkward at worst. Would have preferred a show about the next summer after the movie or something.

Was really impressed with them getting absolutely everyone back for the show, though. Netflix money don't gently caress around.

Yea it was ok. I think it would've worked better as a prequel movie that was 2 hours in length.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Just finished the series. Holy poo poo that was amazing. I've been a huge fan of the movie for forever and there was nothing I would change about the series. I hope there's more but I'm not getting my hopes up (especially since they dovetailed just about everything into the start of the film).

ashpanash posted:

So I'm having trouble coming up with my favorite line.

tfffh. tfffh! ...tfffh.

tffffh. tfffh. tfffh!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What kind of game is Miss Patty Pancakes playing? :stare:

The confrontation with the GIRLFRIEND directly after that in episode 2 was hilarious.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Just finished watching the whole thing. loving hilarious. One of the biggest laughs for me was (beginning of episode 3) the shot of Mitch drowning in the toxic sludge being freezeframed with the title card and theme music.

Kind of a whole-season spoiler, but I'm endlessly amused by the concept that all these exciting status quo changes happened in one day, and then literally nothing happened for eight weeks, and then a bunch more exciting things happened another day. It kind of makes the eight-episode season seem like a metajoke in and of itself and I enjoy that :)

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

I'll see you in court, later tonight.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Loved it, only disappointment is that Ben and McKinley didn't gently caress in a shed again

"I'm DJ Ski-Mask! I'll be the one in the Ski-Mask!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"He said he's going to kill me.... should I thank him? :ohdear:"

I'm amazed at how each episode just seems to get better than the last.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What episode does Michael Ian Black show up?

Edit: And just like that he appears

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 1, 2015

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

SalTheBard posted:

What episode does Michael Ian Black show up?

Is there an episode he isn't in? I actually can't think of one.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Paul Rudd reprising the role of Andy is just glorious. Right from his introduction, he is killing. I'm only 5 episodes in, but loving this so far.

E: Watching ep6 and Sorry I had no idea until I put on the zoot suit.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 1, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I watched all four episodes last night. I really enjoyed it. Watching it alone was not ideal for a comedy, but I still thought it was funny and definitely a worthy follow up. They did a surprisingly good job making thing coherent prequel that explained a lot of the weirdness in pretty hilarious ways. It was obviously never going to pack the same punch as the original, but I never felt let down. I was worried that the scenes with the more high profile actors that weren't filmed on location might disappoint, but even the most obvious one still worked.

"You back slapping, booze swilling, glad-handing gently caress dick of a poo poo butt"

To me the humor came more from seeing how the wrapped up the weird things from the original series than more straightforward and wacky jokes.

My only complaints are that they tried way less hard to match the period. The counselors are mostly fine, but the kids looked like they just handed them some kinda-old looking clothes. The other jarring thing was the appearance of some of the characters. Some of them looked surprisingly close to 15 years ago, but others were a bit jarring. Janeane Garofalo obviously had some stuff done to her face. Showalter is pretty chunky as well. You can't really expect people to live their lives like they might have to look like they did 15 years prior at some point.

I've loved WHAS since a friend forced us all to sit down and watch it when it came out on DVD in 2002. Oddly enough, I didn't relize Bradley Cooper and Elizabeth Banks were in it until I started seeing articles about the netflix series in the last month or two.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I watched all four episodes last night.

Just to be clear, you know there are eight episodes right?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Just to be clear, you know there are eight episodes right?

Yea, I meant to say four hours.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Holy poo poo! Did anyone notice in episode 4 that the punks that The Falcon beats up are the indoor kids from the movie?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

justlikedunkirk posted:

Holy poo poo! Did anyone notice in episode 4 that the punks that The Falcon beats up are the indoor kids from the movie?

Ah awesome I was actually going to ask if the kids from the movie show up in any roles. Felt kind of bad that they couldn't return as themselves, but that's great.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

justlikedunkirk posted:

Ha, I kept thinking "where do I recognize that girl from?" Of course... The movie.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

justlikedunkirk posted:

Holy poo poo, I had to go back and rewatch this. Mork guy even has his suspenders. This scene actually drove me nuts because I feel like its ripping off another movie/show from the 80s where punks terrorize people. I can't place it though. I thought it might be the Star Trek bus scene, but it's not upon review.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Episode 6 Huzzah! The Foxtrot! might be my favorite non sequitur in a show full of them. I love the horrible douchebaggery of Camp Tigerclaw.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Holy poo poo, I had to go back and rewatch this. Mork guy even has his suspenders. This scene actually drove me nuts because I feel like its ripping off another movie/show from the 80s where punks terrorize people. I can't place it though. I thought it might be the Star Trek bus scene, but it's not upon review.

Police Academy?

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
I am pleased to live in a world where this was even allowed to be made into a television show.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Is there an episode he isn't in? I actually can't think of one.

I guess I missed him. Weird :-/

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Man, they really weren't able to work David Hyde Pierce in very well. The whole thing seemed like a joke about how they only had him for a day of shooting or something.

I'm glad we got an extended version of the Higher and Higher song.

Edit: overall, I loved the show and it dovetailed nicely into the movie. Several things were clever enough to cast the movie scenes in a different light.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

wa27 posted:

Man, they really weren't able to work David Hyde Pierce in very well. The whole thing seemed like a joke about how they only had him for a day of shooting or something.

What little he had was amazing, at least.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
I really enjoyed the show and I think it should win some kind of award for music and sound mixing. The whole thing was a delight for my ears.

My favorite part ended up being a surprise for me. Roughly mid season spoiler Michael Cera and Bruce Greenwood absolutely chewing it up at each other. Never saw that coming.

My favorite throw away gag from around the same point Bruce Greenwood pulling out an iphone.

Also Elizabeth Banks and Paul Rudd just do not seem to age.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wa27 posted:

Edit: overall, I loved the show and it dovetailed nicely into the movie. Several things were clever enough to cast the movie scenes in a different light.

(Ep 3 I think)
yeah the backstory of the bubblegum girl who Victor wants to get in the movie now changes that up in a pretty dark way

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Christopher Meloni has been EXCELLENT this entire season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Meloni is always great in comedy. Was a fan of the very short lived 'Surviving Jack' from a year or two back, he was great in that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

Christopher Meloni has been EXCELLENT this entire season.

"You're not the kitchen inspector.... he'd never call me at this time of the day!"

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Meloni is always great in comedy. Was a fan of the very short lived 'Surviving Jack' from a year or two back, he was great in that.

Surviving Jack deserved more than eight episodes.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I can't believe no one has mentioned Falcon picking up the orange, then the banana, then the gun.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
That black haired backup dancer girl was Katy Perry, right? Or am I going crazy?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beach posted:

My favorite throw away gag from around the same point [EP 6] Bruce Greenwood pulling out an iphone.

this was one of the biggest laughs in the whole thing for me. god drat, i lost my poo poo.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Apparently the Pythagorean Theorem explains why light can't escape the gravitational pull of a black hole

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
For the radio DJ I wonder if they had the kid lip-sync to Samm Levine's dialog, or did they just ADR over the kid doing the dialog.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
This show is everything I didn't know I ever needed and needs to be 4 hours longer. I saw the movie in the theater in high school and this series does it justice in every way it can.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

One thing I really admire about this is that they get right what so many sequels get wrong. So many try to do the same joke, only BIGGER. This is a completely new bunch of absurdly silly jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This is the greatest ever, just saw all of it followed by the movie, hadn't seen that in many years. Hot drat. Masterful hilarious stuff, David Wain should direct everything from now on in history.

• Locked thread