Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Safety Scissors posted:

Downloaded this bad boy last night. It's p cool, but I def have a few problems. I've been playing mostly Chel, and the knock down game is just a little nebulous. It just seems that whatever move I throw whether I'm up or knocked down always loses. Sometimes when I'm knocked down I try to wake up DP, which is invincible on start up, and I still lose to non-invincible moves. Sure as hell can't be my execution. Also I'm not sure if you can get up faster or slower, but it sure seems like it.

Edit: Also holy poo poo the Russian and Spanish in this game is just bad. I mean it was never good in SFIV, Zangief said Bol'shoi Pobeda when it should have been Bol'shaya Pobeda, but still c'mon guys.

I think what you're referring to on wakeup is the concept of getting beaten by meaty attacks

http://iplaywinner.com/glossary/general-terms/meaty.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it was just a bit of lag and me mistiming things. The DP part might actually have been meaty attacks, probably because I'm used to more lenient reversal windows. Overall the game is solid for an Alpha, but I'm kind of bored of it already. I'll play a few matches here and there probably, but I'd really like to see it a little farther in the development process.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Custom matches custom matches custom matches CUSTOM MATCHES

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

quote:

Kinetic Advance forward dash no longer enables attacks 2 frames before blocking is enabled.
Most invincible specials are now -4 or -5 on block after Kinetic Advance forward dash.
This change should have relatively minimal impact on Kinetic Advance juggle combos, but may affect certain ground combos.
Dev Notes: Kinetic Advance forward dash can still make invincible moves safe on block, by the slimmest possible margin. However, doing so should surrender initiative to the opponent. This was always our intention, but it became apparent that -2 or -3 wasnt enough of a frame disadvantage to shift momentum. Now the defenders first action after blocking should easily win out, and the dasher has to respond with their invincible special on cooldown.

Finally.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

bhsman posted:

Custom matches custom matches custom matches CUSTOM MATCHES

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Right, I can play sets with people and learn things. LET'S GO GOONS.

Oh, and they made KA Forward more unsafe. Gooooooood... gooooooooooood.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Don't forget everyone find your new custom matches on synirc #risingthunder Keep your salty levels to reasonable poo poo talk though and don't be a dick in there if people beat you up.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Oh hey, Talos got a ghetto vapor cannon.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Vapor cannon was already ghetto, so what does that make the new move? Barrio? Warren? Gulag? necropolis?

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I have no idea what I am doing with Talos but I am fairly successful. Block, hug all day. How do the guys I am playing combo me for like 50% of my health?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

As Talos? Press super.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Man, I sure am glad they've done nothing but give Edge more options since launch. Because that's what he was always lacking.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

CaptCommy posted:

Man, I sure am glad they've done nothing but give Edge more options since launch. Because that's what he was always lacking.

actually thats what the game needs because its boring hth

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

anime was right posted:

actually thats what the game needs because its boring hth

Other characters need it much more than he does.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

rising thunder makes me wish better games had netcode this good, and i want to clarify, i don't think rising thunder is actually bad per se, but it just bores the crap out of me

just not fast and agressive enough or footsies based enough for me i guess i dunno

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

CaptCommy posted:

Other characters need it much more than he does.
well its an alpha test so I don't think they are really planning on updating the characters simultaneously or in the Most Preferable Order for you

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
This weeks patch: http://risingthunder.com/2015/09/15/patch-notes-build-1372/

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Crow's new move is cool but this game is awfully dead. Sure you can still get a game but a lot of the initial hype has died down. I wonder if this game is not stupid enough for fighting game nerds but not normal enough for normal people.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don't think any real time 1v1 game can be normal enough for normal people.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Dumb baby effort post incoming. Warning for FYAD-lite posters to just ignore me because I have dumb baby opinions.

As someone who previously loving hated fighting game for how obscure it was to learn how to play them, I've had a lot of fun with RT and find myself coming back to it and excited about updates.

But I feel like the nomenclature involved can be very much a turn-off to someone outside the scene (ie: me) when the advice people give you to get better is just absolutely unapproachable without constantly referencing a glossary. I wish there was some sort of browser plugin that translated it, from stuff as basic as "cr.M" into "crouching medium attack" to the more obscure stuff like "Wake-up FOW" and "c.A into tick throw". Some stuff is self explanatory, but what is c.A? Crouching air?? Crouching attack? What the gently caress is a tick throw?

The fact that everyone in the community expects you to know this second language or constantly reference something/learn it on the fly is absurd and definitely a turn-off, nearly as much as memorizing moves is, to me at least.

And combos are still a thing and are still frustrating and feel pointless.

Most combos beyond obvious small juggles feel like something I need to look up online and then practice in the training mode to have any chance of pulling off. That doesn't feel like it goes with the philosophy of the game of being easily accessible and doing away with rote memorization, even though I know I'm kind of a baby for saying that. Yes I COULD just learn them but why. Why do they even exist.

And also they feel pointless in a way, like how once I get launched by Talos unless they whiff it, I ALWAYS KNOW I will hear "Titan drop! Sit down!" or "DENIIIED!" and take additional damage. Why not just do away with the second step of having him combo me and just do more damage in the first place? How are combos any different than 'cake baking'? Once I'm being combo'd my only option is to Kinetic Deflect, and if I have no options I might as well be watching my opponent bake a cake for several seconds while taunting me as my lifebar ticks down. Sure dude you know that cake recipe great but it doesn't have anything to do with the game I'm playing on my side.

Obviously some level of combos are an expectation if the game has stuns, even I realize that if i'm stunned from your first hit and your second hit comes out fast enough and reaches far enough you can hit me with the second hit, thus a combo, but that doesn't change how jarring it feels compared to the rest of the game's design philosophy.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Dumb baby effort post incoming. Warning for FYAD-lite posters to just ignore me because I have dumb baby opinions.

As someone who previously loving hated fighting game for how obscure it was to learn how to play them, I've had a lot of fun with RT and find myself coming back to it and excited about updates.

But I feel like the nomenclature involved can be very much a turn-off to someone outside the scene (ie: me) when the advice people give you to get better is just absolutely unapproachable without constantly referencing a glossary. I wish there was some sort of browser plugin that translated it, from stuff as basic as "cr.M" into "crouching medium attack" to the more obscure stuff like "Wake-up FOW" and "c.A into tick throw". Some stuff is self explanatory, but what is c.A? Crouching air?? Crouching attack? What the gently caress is a tick throw?

The fact that everyone in the community expects you to know this second language or constantly reference something/learn it on the fly is absurd and definitely a turn-off, nearly as much as memorizing moves is, to me at least.

Basically every game/hobby/anything has it's own terminology. You can always just google it.

quote:

And combos are still a thing and are still frustrating and feel pointless.

Most combos beyond obvious small juggles feel like something I need to look up online and then practice in the training mode to have any chance of pulling off. That doesn't feel like it goes with the philosophy of the game of being easily accessible and doing away with rote memorization, even though I know I'm kind of a baby for saying that. Yes I COULD just learn them but why. Why do they even exist.

And also they feel pointless in a way, like how once I get launched by Talos unless they whiff it, I ALWAYS KNOW I will hear "Titan drop! Sit down!" or "DENIIIED!" and take additional damage. Why not just do away with the second step of having him combo me and just do more damage in the first place? How are combos any different than 'cake baking'? Once I'm being combo'd my only option is to Kinetic Deflect, and if I have no options I might as well be watching my opponent bake a cake for several seconds while taunting me as my lifebar ticks down. Sure dude you know that cake recipe great but it doesn't have anything to do with the game I'm playing on my side.

Obviously some level of combos are an expectation if the game has stuns, even I realize that if i'm stunned from your first hit and your second hit comes out fast enough and reaches far enough you can hit me with the second hit, thus a combo, but that doesn't change how jarring it feels compared to the rest of the game's design philosophy.

The combos in this game a really short and as a new player they actually give you time to think about what you're going to do next. Instead of getting mad at Talos throwing you again or Dauntless hitting you with 6 more 7 damage jabs you should be considering what your opponent is going to do to attack you next and how you're going to counter that. Take away the combos and the better player is going to steamroll you even harder since it'll feel like you never had a chance to do anything the entire match, you're just getting mixed up all the time without any sort of feeling for when you should be acting.

At the end of the day the RT devs just had to decide how much to remove from current fighting games to try to rope in new people. If they got rid of crouching and jumping attacks to reduce the amount of terminology and cancels to reduce combo length you'd still have people complaining about links and having 8 buttons instead of 4.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I"m gonna give you the benefit of the doubt by not assuming that you're trolling us:

Combos add additional design space, both visually and mechanically.

Mechanically: I hit you with a move. I can choose to do any of several combos depending on screen position: maybe I have a combo that maxes out on damage but doesn't give me good positioning for followups. Maybe I have a combo that carries the opponent to the corner, but doesn't do as much damage. Maybe I have a combo that doesn't do as much damage, but knocks down, leaving me in a good position to attempt a maneuver on my opponent's wakeup.

Characters do more damage in the corner because juggles are easier, owing to the fact that your opponent, if their back is to the corner, cannot be pushed back any further. This rewards good positioning because now you don't want to be in the corner because not only is it tactically significant (you can't run away, opponent has more offensive options) you will eat half your life bar if you get hit while cornered.

Balance: Combos allow for more knobs for the designers to tune balance-wise. Small tweaks to frame data allow designers to allow or disallow combos at will, meaning abusive tactics can be eliminated without completely gutting characters. In no-combo land, if a character does too much damage, you make all his moves do less damage. In real fighting game combos-matter land, if a character is doing too much damage overall one or two moves can have their damage tweaked or frame data adjusted so as not to allow followups in as many situations.

Combos raise the skill ceiling, usually a good idea for a competitive game. Competitive games with low skill ceilings get figured out and dropped quickly. Games like this need to have longevity in the extreme to stay viable. Combos add a level of mastery which rewards spending time with your character. The game can be accessible, but accessible doesn't mean you deserve to be amazing while putting no work in.

Combos allow for more creativity in playstyle as well as more emergent gameplay, as some players of a given character will favor certain combo options in certain situations over others. More aggressive players will want to maximize their damage at every opportunity, while more tactical players will nearly always go for optimal positioning. These are decisions players would not get to make if there were no combos.

Design: Having combos is cooler and more stylish than not having combos, helps to give characters a sense of identity and keeps the characters from feeling identical in a game where all special move inputs are already identical.

Is this enough reasons to keep combos, Lavender? I could go on for way longer than this.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
did this game ever get around to looking decent or does everything still look like a blob of bad smoothing groups

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Sade posted:

Is this enough reasons to keep combos, Lavender? I could go on for way longer than this.

Good reasons to keep combos, no good reason to keep them with links instead of dialed in. They set out to make a game where reads and strategy matters more than execution, then removed the execution on most things but kept it on the combos. It's inconsistent and bad.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

Good reasons to keep combos, no good reason to keep them with links instead of dialed in. They set out to make a game where reads and strategy matters more than execution, then removed the execution on most things but kept it on the combos. It's inconsistent and bad.

Yeah this

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yeah that's pretty much why I play Chel, the two combos I do with her have no links.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
lmao

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Also some patch between now and the last time I played completely hosed my framerate. Also my load times.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 16, 2015

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Combo memorization and too many attack types are big parts why I bounced off this game.

Basically I was hoping for an easy to learn, hard to master game. Instead it is hard to learn and hard to master.

An analogy would be dota2 vs heroes of the storm. Was expecting hots, got dota2 instead. I am sure once you sweated trough the needlessly complex basics there is a fun tactical game somewhere there though...

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress this performance is unplayable.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Grimwall posted:

Combo memorization and too many attack types are big parts why I bounced off this game.

Basically I was hoping for an easy to learn, hard to master game. Instead it is hard to learn and hard to master.

An analogy would be dota2 vs heroes of the storm. Was expecting hots, got dota2 instead. I am sure once you sweated trough the needlessly complex basics there is a fun tactical game somewhere there though...

If you want a better moba analogy this would be a hypothetical on-rails tablet and smartphone exclusive moba where you don't have to move at all you just click at stationary things while your char slowly walks down a lane and then people complain that the character walks too fast and the targets are too small to accurately hit things but actually the hitbox is just the entire screen and the game is really a bitcoin miner.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As people have implied, if Rising Thunder seems 'dense' or 'hard to learn', given it's simplicity and especially so in the genre it occupies, I'd suggest fighting games are not for you. And if I was being mean, avoid other complexities such as 'cutlery', or 'doors'.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I don't really know how else they could dumb down the genre beyond doing a P4A and add auto combos (with no option for real combos).

I quit playing because after the combos were figured out the lack of depth become really apparent and boring.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

lamentable dustman posted:

I quit playing because after the combos were figured out the lack of depth become really apparent and boring.

You mean it turned out to be like all the other fighting games except you have to hit less buttons for the same things to happen. Yeah, that was the intent. It has the exact same mindgames and the same footsies only you don't need to put in any quarter-circle motions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

DatonKallandor posted:

You mean it turned out to be like all the other fighting games except you have to hit less buttons for the same things to happen. Yeah, that was the intent. It has the exact same mindgames and the same footsies only you don't need to put in any quarter-circle motions.

Not really. It has fewer buttons and fewer specials than most, which means it has less design space. I guess it'd have the exact same mindgame and footsies as any other 3-button fighter where each character only has one super and three specials, but I can't think of any.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Not that the games with more buttons even remotely use the design the space that gives them (oh yay, I can do 3 different fireballs or 3 different DPs, which by the way, you can also do in RT with it's single button). There's more than enough unexplored design space even in Rising Thunders amount of buttons - stuff they've already started to explore with modifiers to special abilities, the two Kinetic options and alternate specials. Let's wait until we actually hit the limits before we consider the "lack of design space" a problem.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 16, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I didn't mean variations on the same special you weirdo, I meant unique moves. Generally games with fewer normal buttons - airdash games - have both unique movement options as well as more specials and supers.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

This game is bad and easy and really really boring.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
I don't think one button specials are its issue, but it does get boring pretty fast. It's the HotS of fighting games, they simplified it so much that it feels bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

One button DPs are a huge issue and go a long way in making the game feel slower and less active.

• Locked thread