Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
y need to use wikis and FAQs and stuff all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i used faqs and guides a lot when i was a kid now i cant stand switching between a game and a faq

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
we had nintendo power

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

elf help book posted:

we had nintendo power

alright, fair enough, every1 loved cheats as a kid, but we were all capable of playing a game without looking up stuff on a wiki. in Games they cant even decide to buy a game without the help of 5 other people answering questions about it for them first

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
and whats with people on the internet having to include their goofy games journalism style measured criticisms whenever they post about a game they played . these are definitely the same guys who cant even figure out stuff on their own when it comes to actually playing the games BTW. this probably happens in Games and neogaf mostly but i bet it happesn in casual forums like this one too.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I used guides all the time when I was a kid for RPGs. GameFAQs ftw.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i've used gamefaqs since i was 6 years old.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

I.N.R.I posted:

and whats with people on the internet having to include their goofy games journalism style measured criticisms whenever they post about a game they played . these are definitely the same guys who cant even figure out stuff on their own when it comes to actually playing the games BTW. this probably happens in Games and neogaf mostly but i bet it happesn in casual forums like this one too.

They love storygames and boring AAA crap but still need to play on easy and post about how its too hard.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
as I've gotten older I've actually used gamefaqs less and less. I've matured as a person, as a poster, and heck even as a gamer

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i gave my friend lisa my account info so she could log in and continue gaining karma for me while i went on a family vacation

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yeah we beat games as kids all the time without outside help, maybe from friends at school at most. Nobody had a fuckin clue about anything like game quality or design or stuff.

Also a lot of times you'd end up with some lovely game but that's all you'd get for a long time, and with nothing else to do you'd just grind it down over months of play, even if it was bad or obscure or whatever.

Some stuff was just too much though, when you had a particularly bad confluence of bad design elements. Fester's Quest for example. I loved that game but it was obvious even then that a lot of it was completely bullshit. This isn't even counting garbage like Silver Surfer or stuff that's outright unplayable like Dr Jekyll.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i ask friends who are playing the same games as me for hot tips and i like doing it that way instead of looking stuff up

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

Yeah we beat games as kids all the time without outside help, maybe from friends at school at most. Nobody had a fuckin clue about anything like game quality or design or stuff.

Also a lot of times you'd end up with some lovely game but that's all you'd get for a long time, and with nothing else to do you'd just grind it down over months of play, even if it was bad or obscure or whatever.

Some stuff was just too much though, when you had a particularly bad confluence of bad design elements. Fester's Quest for example. I loved that game but it was obvious even then that a lot of it was completely bullshit. This isn't even counting garbage like Silver Surfer or stuff that's outright unplayable like Dr Jekyll.

i bet they made the games hard back then so that they would take longer to beat since they all had like 5 levels

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i read magazine walkthroughs all the time

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Same here

Dec 26, 2012

they definitely had game guides back then and kids definitely used them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I called the Nintendo Hotline for Goldeneye 64 cheats.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The 30 something's who post in games asking about the tiniest details about optimal play before they start a game are the same kids who used to think Pokemon were real.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

I never finished games when I was young.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

In Training posted:

The 30 something's who post in games asking about the tiniest details about optimal play before they start a game are the same kids who used to think Pokemon were real.

They are.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Pound for pound, GameFAQS is probably the most useful website on the Internet.

Dec 26, 2012

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i tend to play stuff blind if it's my first time through until i get really stuck, and then i'll ask on a forum so i don't accidentally spoil too much.

ymmv, op.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

net cafe scandal posted:

Pound for pound, GameFAQS is probably the most useful website on the Internet.

This.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i tend to play stuff blind if it's my first time through until i get really stuck, and then i'll ask on a forum so i don't accidentally spoil too much.

ymmv, op.

I often have to look stuff up when playing NES games or contemporaries because there's little to no indication in most games from that era wtf you're supposed to be doing, unless it's a Mario game in which case, go right.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That loving barrel on Sonic 3.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i'm p sure I owned and paid for the Starcraft Prima guide back in the day so I think things work the opposite of how you say OP. there's just new kids now, younger ones

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/930240-disgaea-2-cursed-memories/faqs/62944

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

those people in Games are aliens from another planet, which incidentally do exist in real life, since theyre those people.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i'm p sure I owned and paid for the Starcraft Prima guide back in the day so I think things work the opposite of how you say OP. there's just new kids now, younger ones

man nobody i knew as a kid did that stuff. not even the dimmest kid @ school. we all traded cheats we wrote down on bits of paper tho . and they definitely dont work the opposite way since basically probably 80% (scientific FACT) of people on the internet today is neogaf or Grey Forums style gamer.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

In Training posted:

that guy in the vita thread saying that dungeon diving game was bad because it had too many skills and he couldnt figure out how to min-max it from the demo

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

a know a guy who has to look up the perfect stat build for every game he's playing and will literally sit at the pause screen for an hour while he llooks it up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Awesome! posted:

that guy in the vita thread saying that dungeon diving game was bad because it had too many skills and he couldnt figure out how to min-max it from the demo

He Final Fantasy thread is extremely sad because people will be like "playing FF9 for the first time!" And multiple posters will write 3+ paragraphs about how they should play without anybody asking them. They're also insanely easy games anyway

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Same, I think, if it existed when I was six which it probably did.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

man nobody i knew as a kid did that stuff. not even the dimmest kid @ school. we all traded cheats we wrote down on bits of paper tho . and they definitely dont work the opposite way since basically probably 80% (scientific FACT) of people on the internet today is neogaf or Grey Forums style gamer.

We shared the glitch about how to get missingno and multiply items in pokemon red and blue with one another. But it had to come from somewhere, which was probably a guide or online.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got one free guide a year with my Nintendo Power subscription, but would get guides for games I didn't own, since I could read about cool stuff I'd never be able to see otherwise

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

lesbian baphomet posted:

We shared the glitch about how to get missingno and multiply items in pokemon red and blue with one another. But it had to come from somewhere, which was probably a guide or online.

yeah , i learned about it then too. but thats just fun stuff u can do in the game. anyone in the world could beat that game without a guide as a kid. as adults though ? im not so sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

a know a guy who has to look up the perfect stat build for every game he's playing and will literally sit at the pause screen for an hour while he llooks it up

you should put him out of his misery with a choke hold as he looks down at his smartphone

• Locked thread