Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

Well no one else wanted to make this thread so I guess I will. Charlotte is the latest collaboration between writer Jun Maeda and PA Works. Since it's yet another work by Jun Maeda, expect everything you're used to seeing in works by Key. So I hope you're ready for slapstick, mellow drama and baseball.

Synopsis:
Charlotte, rumoured to have been based on Maeda's own early life, is set in an alternate world where a few children come into unusual superpowers upon puberty. One of the colouful characters is Takajou Joujirou, who can move so fast he appears to be teleporting. There's also student singer Nishimori Yusa, who can communicate with the dead. The children are enrolled into Houshinomi Academy, which has its own student council for guiding those who encounter problems with their newfound abilities.

The protagonist, Otosaka Yuu, an ill-mannered first-year transfer who uses his ability to possess another person's body for five seconds in order to cheat in his exams. When Yu; meets school council president Tomori Nao, the fate of these extraordinary children begins to unravel. Will the youthful duo be strong enough to fight their destiny?

Characters:

Otosaka Yuu - The protagonist of this story. An rear end in a top hat who has the ability to posses someone else for five seconds, with that downside that his own body is unconscious during this time period. He uses this ability to cheat on tests at school until he is caught by Nao and forced to transfer to Hoshi no Umi Academy. After episode one he has become less of a rear end in a top hat and more a standard Key protagonist.

Tomori Nao - Female protagonist of the show and student council president of Hoshi no Umi Academy. She is also a rear end in a top hat, much like Yuu. She and her older brother were kidnapped by 'evil scientists' when she was younger and after she escaped she helped establish a school for teens with superpowers along with her benefactor. Her benefactor hasn't been named but she refers to him as the only person she can trust, and there is a decent chance her benefactor is related to Yuu in some way. Her super power is to become invisible to one person.

Takajou Joujirou - Vice president of Hoshi no Umi Academy's student council. He refers to his power as breakneck momentum, and as the name implies he can move super fast. The problem is he can't control how he stops. At the moment he is generally the joke character of the show and fits into the standard 'bro character' position in a Key series. Episode 3 showed that he is a huge fan of Nishimori Yusa, to the point that it creeps Yuu and Nao out.

Nishimori Yusa - Real name Kurobane Yusa. A popular idol who has the super power of channeling the dead. In the show so far this has manifested as her channeling her dead sister Kurobane Misa, who has the super power of pyrokinesis. When Misa is in control her eyes turn red. So far they're both kind of one note characters, but the fact that they both share the same VA is interesting at least.

Otosaka Ayumi - Yuu's younger sister and probably meant to be the cute character of the show. Due to being the younger sister of the protagonist in the Key series her chances of survival aren't very high there is a small chance they'll surprise us. She is also a big fan of Nishimori Yusa and she loves looking at the stars through her telescope. There was a comment in episode one that the name of the Academy, Hoshi no Umi (Sea of Stars) may have been named just for her...

Episode List:

1 - I Think About Others
2 - Melody of Despair
3 - Love and Flame
4 - Earnest Moment
5 - The Sound I Will Hear Someday
6 - Unnoticed Happiness
7 - To the End of the Flight
8 - Chance Meeting
9 - The World Not Present
10 - Plunder
11 - Charlotte
12 - Promise
Next Episode
13 - Records of the Future

Charlotte is currently streaming through Crunchyroll, but a word of warning that the translated script isn't all that great.

ChaosSora fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's bland

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I like the whole Unremarkable X-Men premise this has going, but it's dragged down by what is so far an uninteresting story and the same lovely jokes getting hammered over and over. Yuu's sister makes disgusting meals with pizza sauce, we get it already.

The first episode kind of tricked me into thinking Yuu would be a super powered sociopath and I'm disappointed they didn't keep that up. Dude intentionally crashes a truck into a building to trick a girl into liking him, then suddenly he's completely neutered by Nao.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

ChaosSora

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

J-Spot posted:

I like the whole Unremarkable X-Men premise this has going, but it's dragged down by what is so far an uninteresting story and the same lovely jokes getting hammered over and over. Yuu's sister makes disgusting meals with pizza sauce, we get it already.

The first episode kind of tricked me into thinking Yuu would be a super powered sociopath and I'm disappointed they didn't keep that up. Dude intentionally crashes a truck into a building to trick a girl into liking him, then suddenly he's completely neutered by Nao.

"A character does something terrible with food and no one will call them on it" is as much a dumb Maedaism as literally everyone having a tragic backstory.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

J-Spot posted:

Yeah, that's where I was too. Starts out as "Bigger rear end in a top hat than Lelouch" and then switches schools and becomes a nice caring guy just trying to do his best for his dear new friends. I think I'd rather watch an alternate-universe version where they didn't transfer him to the new school.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I was wondering if a thread for this show would pop up. The Pizza sauce gag can go die in a fire, but I mostly enjoy the rest of the show. I guess I haven't been Keyed enough in the past to be tired of it.

Definitely a more interesting series if our protagonist stayed in Lelouch mode, or if they met characters who were using their powers for truly evil stuff, like murder, and had to decide how to handle that situation.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I was wondering if a thread for this show would pop up. The Pizza sauce gag can go die in a fire, but I mostly enjoy the rest of the show. I guess I haven't been Keyed enough in the past to be tired of it.

Definitely a more interesting series if our protagonist stayed in Lelouch mode, or if they met characters who were using their powers for truly evil stuff, like murder, and had to decide how to handle that situation.

Fighting evil supervillains, or at least misguided people with grandiose plans, is the standard thing for superheroes to do, though. Bullying people who were using the powers in petty ways into staying in line is a more unusual premise.

I do wish they'd explain why they don't fight the mad scientists, though.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Silver2195 posted:

Fighting evil supervillains, or at least misguided people with grandiose plans, is the standard thing for superheroes to do, though. Bullying people who were using the powers in petty ways into staying in line is a more unusual premise.

It would be a shame if the whole series is just Damp Cerebro sending them after the weekly mutant. I'm assuming the stakes will be upped in the second half and we'll see them clash with the scientists.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the ~evil~ scientists is a dumb plot point, imo

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Cake Attack posted:

Evil government scientist kidnapping and torture-experimenting on mutants is kind of a staple of mutant superheros. I guess that doesn't make it less dumb, but its a genre appropriate way to explain why high school students are doing the freak of the the week patrol, instead of a police task force or something.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

NowonSA posted:

Yuu's personality really needs to do something to contribute. Right now, Nao is carrying the show, but while she's a great character, she's not enough to carry the show. It would be more interesting if Yuu would work behind her back.

I'm fine with the fact that Yuu isn't as good as at shady plans as Nao.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

ChaosSora posted:

Otosaka Ayumi - Yuu's younger sister and probably meant to be the cute character of the show. Due to being the younger sister of the protagonist in the Key series her chances of survival aren't very high there is a small chance they'll surprise us

I think there are enough death flags planted on her in the OP to make her survival unlikely.

Not to mention the whole Too Kawaii For This Earth one dimensional characterisation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

You've seen this lot and what they can do, right? Can you honestly imagine them going up against the might of a national government with years of experience in capturing and studying people like them? I mean, we all know it'll happen eventually when Yuu's sister gets kidnapped, but you can see why it wouldn't exactly be their first choice.

As for the kidnap-and-experimentation plot point, I'm giving it a bit of a free pass because similar stuff has actually happened in real life. As Project MKULTRA and the War on Terror torture program demonstrate, governments are capable of authorising remarkably depraved, pointless poo poo for a remarkably long time in the interests of national security, and a plague of superpowers among teenagers seems like a pretty exploitable national-security issue.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah it would probably be better if it was just about random shenanigans/comedy without that as a background plot piece.

I like the pitch with the MC being kind of a jerk and I guess the main girl is sort of OK, but the rest of the cast is lifeless at best or annoying at worst.

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

Episode five had some good scenes in a it, but I still have a real problem with Crunchyrolls script. A lot of lines just sound really awkward which means the script is being overly literal, in fact it kind of reminds me of how some fan translated light novels are translated.

Other than that, while the episode had some good standalone scenes the directing still leaves a lot to be desired. Plot points just kind of happen in this show with very few transition scenes. Like important things happen but the characters rarely get a chance to breath and break out of their one or two dimensional archetype. The scene between Nao and Yuu this episode was pretty good, and the scene between Joujirou and Yuu was also decent, but he scene with Nao getting beaten by the other girls was pretty bad. The scene were they're shopping was also pretty well done in setting up the group dynamic a bit more and possible romance.

Beyond that the scenery in this episode was nice and the budget seems to have returned a bit since it dipped in episodes three and four. Since I've read some of the interviews surrounding this show though I am curious if Yusa having a crush on Yuu is still going to be a thing after this episode.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sister is going to die

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ChaosSora posted:

the scene with Nao getting beaten by the other girls was pretty bad.
That was just odd. Yuu just stands there watching it happen commenting to himself how awful it is. With the awful translation I couldn't tell if she was meant to be pissed at him afterwards or not, but the whole thing is immediately dropped anyway.

What the hell is with Crunchyroll's translation on this series anyway? I've only recently started watching stuff there but the quality is usually a lot better.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Oh god, the pizza sauce is totally going to become a real plot point, isn't it?

Ayu runs out of Pizza Sauce. Ayu becomes ill. They went out of their way to display the two events next to one another. It's probably going to turn out that the Otosaka Special Recipe sauce includes some form of medication that keeps her from dying in some sort of horrifyingly painful way

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

J-Spot posted:

That was just odd. Yuu just stands there watching it happen commenting to himself how awful it is. With the awful translation I couldn't tell if she was meant to be pissed at him afterwards or not, but the whole thing is immediately dropped anyway.

I think Nao intends to just soak up the punishment and Yuu seems aware enough to catch on. In this episode and in previous ones, Nao always takes hits where she could have used her ability to save herself. It seems like the sort of thing that will become relevant later.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Space Flower posted:

I think Nao intends to just soak up the punishment and Yuu seems aware enough to catch on. In this episode and in previous ones, Nao always takes hits where she could have used her ability to save herself. It seems like the sort of thing that will become relevant later.

Also, Yuu isn't exactly the world's most heroic guy. He's nice to his sister, but he's still a selfish, passive rear end in a top hat who has to be ordered to do his job at this stage of the story (see also how he almost gets a guy killed because he doesn't want to feel a bit of pain at the end of the ep). Joujirou would almost certainly have railgunned them if he'd been in Yuu's place.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
One of the things that was really interesting to me at the start of this show was the idea that the all of the powers had some sort of flaw to them that essentially stopped their users from going off and being super heroes but after Yuu, Nao and Joujirou they kind of just forgot about that idea. I guess the flaw to Yusa's power is that she seemingly has no control over when she is possessed so her power is actively a bad thing for her, but her sister's fire power seems perfectly fine and all of the one-off characters had no problems with their powers outside of the fact that they will eventually go away.
Also is there ever going to be a character called Charlotte in this series or did they just pluck that name out of a hat?

InspectorCarbonara fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 2, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

J-Spot posted:

It would be a shame if the whole series is just Damp Cerebro sending them after the weekly mutant. I'm assuming the stakes will be upped in the second half and we'll see them clash with the scientists.

Damprebro is the man.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

One of the things that was really interesting to me at the start of this show was the idea that the all of the powers had some sort of flaw to them that essentially stopped their users from going off and being super heroes but after Yuu, Nao and Joujirou they kind of just forgot about that idea. I guess the flaw to Yusa's power is that she seemingly has no control over when she is possessed so her power is actively a bad thing for her, but her sister's fire power seems perfectly fine and all of the one-off characters had no problems with their powers outside of the fact that they will eventually go away.
Also is there ever going to be a character called Charlotte in this series or did they just pluck that name out of a hat?

There were good powers with no drawbacks from day one. Our protagonists just weren't lucky enough to have them. See also Nao's poor brother, the walking ECM system with supernaturally neat guitar skills.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Most of the one-off characters we've seen so far have had pretty mundane powers, though. Taking pictures of people without their clothes might make you a good TSA agent, but it's not going to make you a good superhero. The abilities that you could call superpowers have drawbacks, save for Yusa's sister's fire abilities. The flying kid in this episode, for instance, didn't seem to have a lot of control over his powers. What little they showed made him look very Pumaman-esque and graceless.

InspectorCarbonara also posted:

This does seem like the kind of anime that just picked the name because it sounds nice.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Much better than the baseball episode at least.

And while Nao's plan doesn't make much sense when you think about it, the way they introduced her scheme, and then misdirected away from the trap, made me laugh my rear end off.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If this series ever intended to be its own thing I'd imagine that (a) the idea that the powers go away isn't true as long as you keep using them. and (b) Gradually you can work away the flaws through training.

Sadly this doesn't seem to be the case because it'd be a nice curve ball and a good way to extend the series some more as I do like it.

e: Something I forgot, the most important revelation this ep, the guy can use other peoples powers if he possesses them.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 2, 2015

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
The first episode of this was so good. But once the plot started being all about main girl Nao it got really boring. Why is she such an inconsistent character? She can't seem to make up her mind about how she wants to treat the MC. I get that she's supposed to be manipulative and detached but it just feels like there was a bunch of different script writers or something.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Maybe it's going to turn out that the state the brother is in now is the drawback to his power and the scientists were good

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

sister is going to die

Either her or Nao

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

Oh god, the pizza sauce is totally going to become a real plot point, isn't it?

Ayu runs out of Pizza Sauce. Ayu becomes ill. They went out of their way to display the two events next to one another. It's probably going to turn out that the Otosaka Special Recipe sauce includes some form of medication that keeps her from dying in some sort of horrifyingly painful way

Ugh, I hope this is not the case.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Quellar posted:

The first episode of this was so good. But once the plot started being all about main girl Nao it got really boring. Why is she such an inconsistent character? She can't seem to make up her mind about how she wants to treat the MC. I get that she's supposed to be manipulative and detached but it just feels like there was a bunch of different script writers or something.

There's nothing complicated about it, she's a person who puts on a cold exterior and she's warming up to him. That's a pretty straightforward development; it's not like she just kicked him in the face this episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Quellar posted:

I don't think it's inconsistent so much as a downplayed version of the standard tsundere conflict. They're very similar people with very similar interests, which means there's good reason for them to like each other, but being smartmouthed assholes is also something they have in common, and Yuu's cowardice and Nao's overbearing, manipulative attitude (particularly when she's on the job - girl feels to me like she has something to prove) create a distance as well.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Nao barely counts as tsundere, she doesn't mistreat Yuu at all. They're just naturally comfortable around one another. If anything, she comes off as a very rounded person, much more so than Misa or Imouto. There's alot of complicated emotion underneath the surface, all pushing her to do a variety of different things for her goals.

Jou came off pretty cool this episode as well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Nao barely counts as tsundere, she doesn't mistreat Yuu at all. They're just naturally comfortable around one another. If anything, she comes off as a very rounded person, much more so than Misa or Imouto. There's alot of complicated emotion underneath the surface, all pushing her to do a variety of different things for her goals.

Jou came off pretty cool this episode as well.

Well, quite. She's complex, not inconsistent.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Still just partway through the episode, but just wanted to say: gently caress THESE SUBTITLES.

Oniisama -> "Elder Brother Sir"

:negative:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
No better demonstration of true friendship than defenestrating a dude so you don't have to.

I must admit, the red herring in this ep did have me going. I honestly thought that the red-haired girl had the real superpower, and the 'collapse' was her mind-crushing Ayumi to keep her out of the way of her ex-boyfriend. Then nope, looks like someone needs to buy a new middle-school :stare:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
:stare: Holy poo poo this episode. I was not expecting someone to get Caesar'd in this show.

• Locked thread