Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
:ohdear: best himouto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

This is was a good episode. The script continues to be poor, but I guess we just have to deal with it. What's interesting is that Collapse shows up a few times in the opening as a freeze frame bonus, but I figured it was just going to be the word they used to describe what happened to Nao's brother. The fact Collapse shows up in the show proper as a power makes me wonder if Time Leap is also going to show up a super power. After all that phrase is a freeze frame bonus in the opening as well.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Nao continues to own. I laughed pretty hard when she kicked Joujirou out of the window after she noticed Yuu contemplating the same thing.

For those who wouldn't normally stick around, there's a very brief post credits scene at the end of this week's episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

J-Spot posted:

Nao continues to own.

Best female lead in a Maeda show, or is there another I am unfamiliar with?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
God drat, I wasn't expecting this show to go all Nevada on us. It's going to be hell waiting an entire week to see what happens.

J-Spot posted:

Nao continues to own.

Nao is definitely one the best protagonists of the summer.

Spoilered for being a great scene.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

ChaosSora posted:

This is was a good episode. The script continues to be poor, but I guess we just have to deal with it. What's interesting is that Collapse shows up a few times in the opening as a freeze frame bonus, but I figured it was just going to be the word they used to describe what happened to Nao's brother. The fact Collapse shows up in the show proper as a power makes me wonder if Time Leap is also going to show up a super power. After all that phrase is a freeze frame bonus in the opening as well.

I did not know about this. That sounds incredibly likely. I already had some feelings that they might be going in that direction after this episode.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
This episode really sold me that Ayumi is the best little sister. I loved her ferocious teasing of Nao and Yuu.

But then the ending act. :ohdear:

And who the gently caress is the new girl and why is she important? We'll find out I guess.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Darth Walrus posted:

Best female lead in a Maeda show, or is there another I am unfamiliar with?

She strikes me as being almost completely full of poo poo, but in a realistic "awkward high school student" way.

That being said, this might be entirely the fault of the translation. CR has hired some new native Japanese speaker(s?) and they haven't been getting the editing support they need, making some of the dialogue in both this and Classroom Crisis seem awkward as hell.

This episode was especially bad, editing-wise, though.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Raenir Salazar posted:

And who the gently caress is the new girl and why is she important? We'll find out I guess.
If she's not Charlotte I'm just going to call her that anyway. I'm still waiting for them to justify the name.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 10, 2015

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

The new girl looks like she's in the group shot in the opening, along with the long haired guy.

As for Charlotte, I'm guessing it's the name of a comet. It could be the name of a character as well, but I feel like Charlotte being a comets name makes sense.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
You know, I've kind of been fixated on the last line of the Opening lyrics ("Even if you become a monster, we'll see this through to the end"), but in light of the "time leap" in the opening, the first two parts are probably more important. "What will I choose to keep, what will I give up on? Who am I to decide that?" is a set of lyrics I would definitely expect to see in the opening of a time travel show.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ChaosSora posted:

As for Charlotte, I'm guessing it's the name of a comet. It could be the name of a character as well, but I feel like Charlotte being a comets name makes sense.

Most probably something of the sort, yeah. The opening starts off with a bunch of shooting stars, Charlotte's title card incorporates a shooting star in it, there are constant allusions to shooting stars throughout the OP. It's going to turn out that people get super powers from meteors which is word for word exactly from another anime or western cartoon story I'm sure.

Poring over this OP makes me feel like I'm a regular Mother's Basement.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 12, 2015

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

pandaK posted:

It's going to turn out that people get super powers from meteors which is word for word exactly from another anime or western cartoon story I'm sure.
This is totally it, and that does sound like a plot I've heard before, though all that comes to mind is Night of the Comet where everyone becomes zombies.

pandaK posted:

Poring over this OP makes me feel like I'm a regular Mother's Basement.

More like The Irregular at Mother's Basement

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

CuLT posted:

This is totally it, and that does sound like a plot I've heard before, though all that comes to mind is Night of the Comet where everyone becomes zombies.

I would've said Maximum Overdrive, but I think your movie is more obscure, so you win.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kytrarewn posted:

Oh god, the pizza sauce is totally going to become a real plot point, isn't it?

The secret ingredient of the pizza sauce is...

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

That's great. Must read supplementary material for the show.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Episode 7 - KEY as gently caress.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

do the coke yu

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
Damnit, I knew what the food would be and I still got sad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bets on Ayumi's funeral being a cover for the government getting their hands on her?

I mean, there was a lot of blood, but...

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Heh, same here. Couldn't help but empathize with the guy. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

krnhotwings posted:

Heh, same here. Couldn't help but empathize with the guy. :(

Also it kinda resolves the question had about him suddenly no longer being a psychopath from the first episode; it's like yup, without the positive influence from peers he reverts drat fast.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Darth Walrus posted:

Bets on Ayumi's funeral being a cover for the government getting their hands on her?

Yeah, that's what I felt too based on how coldly the episode opened up with (in regards to how the adults acted around him).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Perhaps Nao could explain why cocaine was the line Yu couldn't cross but threatening to kill people, starting gang wars with his powers and literally stabbing several people were just fine.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So we got confirmation of something important this episode.
The issues with the scripts for both this and Classroom Crisis are the same guy's fault

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
It's a good thing Yuu was too depressed to do anything embarrassing when he thought he was alone, or that revelation would have been incredibly awkward.

Darth Walrus posted:

That's what I'm betting (and hoping) is the case. We haven't seen or heard anything about Nevada, so I'm guessing that was her blood.

Angry Grimace posted:

Perhaps Nao could explain why cocaine was the line Yu couldn't cross but threatening to kill people, starting gang wars with his powers and literally stabbing several people were just fine.

They were all delinquents, it's not like he was hurting people.

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

I really like everything with Nao this episode. The reveal of her being with Yuu the whole episode was obvious when you think about her power, but it's not something you think about when you're focused on what Yuu is doing.

Beyond that I want to bring something up. We still don't know the name of either Nao, Yuu or the long hair guy's powers. Joujirou's we know since he told us in the first episode, and with Yusa and Misa we watched the reveal of their powers names in show. It might not be that important, but I have a feeling it could be a plot point later on.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I liked that he was watching Angel Beats in the manga cafe.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Blhue posted:

I liked that he was watching Angel Beats in the manga cafe.

he truly has sunk low

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

You've seen how she ran the student council's operations for the last six episodes, right?

Threats and gratuitous violence are all well and good, but you should at least stay sober enough to enjoy it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Damnit Charlotte stop ruining Lelouch v2

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

Japan really doesn't like drugs.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Raenir Salazar posted:

A properly-cooked meal after you haven't been eating right for a long time can be far more emotionally moving than you'd think, even without the family secret sauce.

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, especially with the unexplained appearances at the end of last episode.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Good episode this week. Part of me wanted to see Yuu turn into a straight up villain for a few episodes but that ending was pretty nice. I do hope they'll address his latent psychopathic tendencies again before this is over though.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Also it kinda resolves the question had about him suddenly no longer being a psychopath from the first episode; it's like yup, without the positive influence from peers he reverts drat fast.
Nao's true super power appears to be the ability to make Yuu not a complete rear end in a top hat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

J-Spot posted:

Good episode this week. Part of me wanted to see Yuu turn into a straight up villain for a few episodes but that ending was pretty nice. I do hope they'll address his latent psychopathic tendencies again before this is over though.

Nao's true super power appears to be the ability to make Yuu not a complete rear end in a top hat.

Personally I feel it's clear it's precisely because of the Anonymous Internet Jerkwad theory; you give an individual power without responsibility or accountability and that individual is absolutely going to abuse it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nao's true power is clairvoyance. She's far too perceptive and she can also reverse it to make herself invisible to 1 person.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Dango dango dango dango.

Honestly this show kind of sucks, but I will watch it forever as long as it has that OP. It's the most anime poo poo ever and fits just like a warm blanket even if the actual show will never reach such epicness.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
This last episode was really compelling in the same way that most of the first episode was. I liked it, reminded me why I bothered to watch this to begin with.

I hesitate to say that this show has great characters, but they're a damned sight more entertaining than power-of-the-week. Yuu's natural tendencies are almost refreshingly awful for a protagonist, but still believable on some levels, so it works.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Were those guys in suits that came to Yuu's door supposed to be from the group of evil scientists or were they just staff from school/building he lives in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Were those guys in suits that came to Yuu's door supposed to be from the group of evil scientists or were they just staff from school/building he lives in?

I got the impression they were heavies from the school sent to deal with a student who'd locked himself in the dormitory for days after all the more pleasant solutions failed.

• Locked thread