Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Wrong person, she's from Shun's crew.

Ah, yes, didn't spot that. Never mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One alarming possibility - Shun's lying, and has made a deal with the devil in the form of the government, feeding them the occasional kid in order to ensure the safety of the rest. That would give us an endgame crisis and explain why his narrative doesn't match up with Yuu's memories.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That is quite possible. Shun is the only person Nao trusts, and that's a giant flashing chekov's gun if I saw one.

Though what was the discrepancy between Yuu's memories and Shun's account? I didn't spot any.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

That is quite possible. Shun is the only person Nao trusts, and that's a giant flashing chekov's gun if I saw one.

Though what was the discrepancy between Yuu's memories and Shun's account? I didn't spot any.

Yuu still remembers the first time-leap, which shouldn't be possible if he wasn't the one who did it (and flatly contradicts how Shun said he behaved after that leap).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

Well, as long as Yuu has positive influences around him to repress his latent sociopathy, he should be okay for the next 3 years, and won't become the villain.

Actually, now that I think about it, having Yuu on the council team was probably a bad idea, Yuu could have, at any time, possessed some of the other members (for legitimate or illegitimate reason), and destroyed the ability of the council to function. And once they lose their abilities, Yuu is going to work out that he can keep them, and then there is nothing to check him.

I think they should have left it as "can temporarily borrow their powers" than "permanently drains their powers". Right now, it's sloppy writing.

I agree with this as well, it should've been borrow or temporarily suppress or something, if Yuu ever did enter Villain territory he would have the same problems Sylar and Peter did in Heroes.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Yuu still remembers the first time-leap, which shouldn't be possible if he wasn't the one who did it (and flatly contradicts how Shun said he behaved after that leap).

Hardly matters that much, but the way he told things only implied that to be the first time-leap. No particular reason that couldn't have been his second or third attempt.

Was also wondering why, in this latest episode, Yuu knew exactly what to do to save Ayumi. I was assuming he would've had to have gone back, watched to find out what happened, then gone and nicked his brother's power again (unless he keeps it after a leap - unclear but unlikely) and gone back once more to prevent it. The only thing I can think is that they either didn't have time to do this in the show and cut that out of the plot, or just left the implication that they'd interviewed that purple-haired girl afterwards/checked security footage and found out what happened. Not a big deal, just seems an odd detail to miss.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
I think once he saw the death glare Yuu put two and two together and figured she must have been the cause some how.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think once he saw the death glare Yuu put two and two together and figured she must have been the cause some how.

It was more the fact that he knew exactly where it was going to happen, and was waiting there in advance well before anyone had even showed up. Still, as I said, it's nothing major, just a strange omission. :shrug:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

smenj posted:

It was more the fact that he knew exactly where it was going to happen, and was waiting there in advance well before anyone had even showed up. Still, as I said, it's nothing major, just a strange omission. :shrug:

That could just as easily be the fault of the translation. That scene where Yusarin and Nao are in the hallways, he says something like "Their disguises were worthless". I don't speak Japanese, so I can't translate it myself, but you could see how a similar sentence (Along the lines of "Even with a disguise, they get discovered immediately") would imply multiple jumps backward even while it wasn't explicitly spelled out.

One thing that I found interesting, though, was the theme of blindness. We had already met a blind character, who explained her disability in terms suggesting that it was payment or punishment or redemption for something or another.

In what way will she be related to the ongoing shunsuke/yuu plotline?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

smenj posted:

He hid in a locker located roughly where Collapse happened, I think it isn't a bad guess.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Kytrarewn posted:

One thing that I found interesting, though, was the theme of blindness. We had already met a blind character, who explained her disability in terms suggesting that it was payment or punishment or redemption for something or another.

In what way will she be related to the ongoing shunsuke/yuu plotline?

The way she described it, she's definitely an ex-ability user. She said she originally was no good and she had to "cheat" to get success, and the price she paid for that was her eyesight, in a story that matched up almost identically to Shun's. And Yuu got his memory triggered while he was listening to her song, Trigger. I imagine it's related.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

:cripes:

Well, ok then.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
That was certainly an episode. At least we officially learned what CHARLOTTE is.

I really like how they managed to remove time-leap from the equation so quickly after introducing it, to keep the story from getting stupid. Also, it looks like our new friend is still alive, so hopefully she'll be able to provide some input into exactly what the gently caress the plan was and why she was collaborating.

Again it all comes down to Zhiend lady and what her powers were/are. She's the one factor we know of at this point that hasn't been fully vetted, so she either set this whole thing into motion (remember she's also not Japanese) or she's going to be the one to fix it

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

pandaK posted:

Most probably something of the sort, yeah. The opening starts off with a bunch of shooting stars, Charlotte's title card incorporates a shooting star in it, there are constant allusions to shooting stars throughout the OP. It's going to turn out that people get super powers from meteors which is word for word exactly from another anime or western cartoon story I'm sure.

Poring over this OP makes me feel like I'm a regular Mother's Basement.

loving space dust man

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Cubemario posted:

I looked into it, it would seem to be the case.

http://i.imgur.com/hOSODAL.jpg

The 2 cour thing was obviously debunked, but I feel like this poster has become a lot more relevant now.

Here's the second half at a higher resolution.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

pandaK posted:

loving space dust man

Kinda the plot of Illusions of Gaea.

Like I dunno, I get it's more of a low key show esp. with the abilities having drawbacks, but it seems like without the Time Leap power their organization only has so much it good it can do before it runs into as we see here, armed bastards who can do what they want with intimidation. If I were in their shows I'd try to train a small group of 3-5 people with special powers as Commandos who can rely on non-ability powers if for any reason the powers get disabled (as we see here) or they gradually lose the powers and then can use their training to train their replacements. Then you have a small team of elite people you can send in to take of matters like this without terrorists possibly derailing everything you worked for.

You would have to FIND people with useful abilities for combat but certainly it's gotta be possible to find a handful. This show seems slightly on the idealistic side in that nearly everyone with powers seem alright with joining when asked.

As for what happened this episode and the reveal that there's people with powers all over the place, oh dear. That's a lot of personal misery if everywhere else is similar to how Japan was. I'm holding out some hope that there might be a group that doesn't want to lose their abilities.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

pandaK posted:

Most probably something of the sort, yeah. The opening starts off with a bunch of shooting stars, Charlotte's title card incorporates a shooting star in it, there are constant allusions to shooting stars throughout the OP. It's going to turn out that people get super powers from meteors which is word for word exactly from another anime or western cartoon story I'm sure.

Successfully called.

Not sure how I feel about this episode, for all the meticulous planning and knowledge of the bad guys, they sure seemed underprepared. Where was muscles? Off pulverising at the syndicate? The focal shift to Shinosuke & Co is also weird. Whole show feels weird now, especially if there's only a couple of episodes left.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I like how Yuu's conveniently forgotten that in this timeline he hasn't met Sara yet and thus Nao's brother is still insane and in incredible amounts of pain. Yuu, you piece of poo poo. :thumbsup:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

considering the current state of yu's memories makes no sense i think this show is just sloppily written

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
So, the Tomori ED's spinning star vortex and the shooting star still image were foreshadowing retina-based time travel, the comet, and eye injury, huh?

I wonder if Yu will get a chance to use flight and super speed before some additional nonsense happens.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

L ooting

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, this just isn't a very good show, is it? I don't know why KEY keeps trying to squeeze these convoluted plotlines into 12 episode series. This episode unsurprisingly was way too fast-paced and thus everything felt contrived and out of the blue. No tension at all.

snivell
Sep 9, 2015

watch out, my posts are pretty damn edgy

Namtab posted:

It's bland

poo poo*

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Myriad Truths posted:

Yeah, this just isn't a very good show, is it? I don't know why KEY keeps trying to squeeze these convoluted plotlines into 12 episode series. This episode unsurprisingly was way too fast-paced and thus everything felt contrived and out of the blue. No tension at all.

I still like it, and the memory thing still has the possibility of being explained. On the other hand, they could easily have cut out a few of the monster-of-the-week episodes at the beginning to make the pacing of the last few episodes a bit less hectic.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
The show was pretty decent, strange translation aside, but it's all really fallen apart these past few episodes. Shame, since it looked like if it'd been handled well the show could've had a great final few episodes and ending. Hopefully there's some good stuff to come, but there's very little they could do with their remaining time that would bring the show beyond being mediocre overall.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I find the show frustrating because I would have liked it quite a bit if the story has basically any time to develop.

There was a shitload of mood whiplash in the last 6 episodes or so.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's weird because the show keeps starting a plot then resolving things way too quick. Ayumi gets saved in a single episode, the bad guys with a plot spanning years are already dead, etc.

Anyway I hope yu and nao kiss even though it'll be a little weird since a lot of stuff between them technically never happened

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I liked the part where they revealed that all the kids had space cancer

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
So, uh, if our hero hijacks someone with two eyes, can he timeleap from that body instead?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I like how Yuu's conveniently forgotten that in this timeline he hasn't met Sara yet and thus Nao's brother is still insane and in incredible amounts of pain. Yuu, you piece of poo poo. :thumbsup:

He's had priorities. Also, Sara isn't even in Japan right now.

The pacing of this show is indeed weird, it keeps ramping upon each episode. And they just seriously maimed Yuu, depending on how deep that cut went, that eye could be gone for good. Yuu was pretty good this episode, he is basically a very normal guy, who responds in very normal ways. When he gets stabbed, he loving screams his lungs out in pain.

kater posted:

I liked the part where they revealed that all the kids had space cancer

It's not so much that they're going to die of comet disease, as the they want to suppress psychic powers so teenagers don't get disappeared into research complexes. And for once in these kinds of stories, the good guys are the ones trying to inhibit abilities, primarily because abilities don't actually benefit the individual in the long run. However, it's a losing proposition, as the bad guys will have no compulsions against exploiting abilities, and so the odds are stacked against Shun.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
You know, for such an irritating episode, pretty much everything it made total sense. I was consistently exasperated throughout, but that's because they acted in ways that were totally consistent with their individual flaws and shortcomings.

Of course Kumagami (or any of the others) would crack under torture. Shunsuke has actual obvious effects from all the time travel: namely, that his response to "should I send my brother into certain danger against people who know all of his powers?" is "yes, duh, my friend is in trouble," because he's spent so much more time around his friends than his family. He's also really bad at solutions that don't involve time travel, because when all you've got is a hammer... Yu, being a stupid kid, is naturally inclined to believe Shunsuke is right (he's his big brother, he's the one with the secret organization, and Yu is kind of passive), so he ignores his good sense in favor of following Shunsuke's stupid-rear end plan. And of course the stupid-rear end plan fails miserably.

Seriously, though: if you're warned that doing something will get your family taken hostage and gently caress everything up, and then you do it anyway and that exact thing happens, you forfeit the right to sympathy. I kind of hoped Yu would exhibit some of his off-and-on-again sociopathy and time travel to prevent it anyway, because gently caress that guy and gently caress his family. On a similar note, I kind of expected Yu to just time travel out before the big plot happened, because trading one imprisoning scientific organization for another really isn't much of an upgrade.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

At least the bad guys are kind of smart. Actually planning for the good guys having limited time travel and making sure to have ways to "detect" it?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

So, uh, if our hero hijacks someone with two eyes, can he timeleap from that body instead?

We know he can use the powers of people he's possessed while possessing them (like with that guy who could fly), but we haven't seen if he can use the rest of his own powers while possessing someone, so there's no way to know unless the show brings it up.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
That episode was horrible- everyone acted out of character as gently caress. Yuu was somehow incredibly weird in how he handled the actual conflict, the big brother was even weirder given he had lived a life where he had to sacrifice people all the time, so why should he give a gently caress about a traitor's family? Then there is Nao who was incredibly dumb in how to use her power, and Kuragami who stopped his phone to the syndicate for....reasons...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Einander posted:

You know, for such an irritating episode, pretty much everything it made total sense. I was consistently exasperated throughout, but that's because they acted in ways that were totally consistent with their individual flaws and shortcomings.

Of course Kumagami (or any of the others) would crack under torture. Shunsuke has actual obvious effects from all the time travel: namely, that his response to "should I send my brother into certain danger against people who know all of his powers?" is "yes, duh, my friend is in trouble," because he's spent so much more time around his friends than his family. He's also really bad at solutions that don't involve time travel, because when all you've got is a hammer... Yu, being a stupid kid, is naturally inclined to believe Shunsuke is right (he's his big brother, he's the one with the secret organization, and Yu is kind of passive), so he ignores his good sense in favor of following Shunsuke's stupid-rear end plan. And of course the stupid-rear end plan fails miserably.

Seriously, though: if you're warned that doing something will get your family taken hostage and gently caress everything up, and then you do it anyway and that exact thing happens, you forfeit the right to sympathy. I kind of hoped Yu would exhibit some of his off-and-on-again sociopathy and time travel to prevent it anyway, because gently caress that guy and gently caress his family. On a similar note, I kind of expected Yu to just time travel out before the big plot happened, because trading one imprisoning scientific organization for another really isn't much of an upgrade.

Arkeus posted:

That episode was horrible- everyone acted out of character as gently caress. Yuu was somehow incredibly weird in how he handled the actual conflict, the big brother was even weirder given he had lived a life where he had to sacrifice people all the time, so why should he give a gently caress about a traitor's family? Then there is Nao who was incredibly dumb in how to use her power, and Kuragami who stopped his phone to the syndicate for....reasons...

Both of these cannot be true at the same time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

He's had priorities. Also, Sara isn't even in Japan right now.

Yeah, but you'd think he'd prioritise mentioning it to Nao in the runup to the events in this episode.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Arkeus posted:

Raenir Salazar posted:

Both of these cannot be true at the same time.

I think Arkeus is mistaking "being a dumb, flawed kid" for "being out of character."

Yu talks a good game, but he's kind of passive and emotionally fragile; we got an entire episode dedicated to the way he just utterly shuts down in the face of loss, so the idea that he folds up and just follows orders when stressed is totally in-line with what we've seen. He'd a kid who's never had to deal with real, important stakes, so he's no good at it. Shunsuke doesn't have experience dealing with loss either, because his power has ensured that he never had to. The only thing he ever had to lose was his sight, because everything else could be rewound; he's on his first timeline without a reset button, on the first real problem where he doesn't already have a solution, and the idea that he might actually lose something forever makes him flip the gently caress out. Plus, he's spent more time around his friends than his family--dozens and dozens of years. Dude has a lot of accumulated time, but it's not the right kind of time to deal with any of this.

Nao, meanwhile, ambushes one dude and then gets dropped by someone who a) knows about her power and b) can actually fight. Kumagami probably didn't call for the same reason Yu didn't just say "gently caress that guy's family" and time leap--because not playing along gets them killed and he doesn't want that on his head. He thinks that he can withstand their questions, and he gets proven wrong when they step it up to torture.

Charlotte mostly appears to be a story about what would actually happen if superpowered children were dropped into a global conspiracy fight for control of said superpowers: it goes about as well as you'd rationally expect, because at the end of the day they're still children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Was that the last episode? If so it was definitely a "we sure hope we have a second season" last episode.

• Locked thread