Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

.Clash posted:

So um they never explained how he remembered a future he never experienced. Okay.

He did experience it, then he went back in time and changed it. That's how time travel works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
His brother did, not him. When they were held by the EVIL SCIENTISTS.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

.Clash posted:

That's not clear. We just saw a blank screen and heard gunshots.

Another interesting question, perhaps for a second season, would be if Yu healed Shun's vision and he went back into timetravel mode and started to gently caress with things. As far as we know, Shun never got his powers stolen in THIS timeline branch, he was just unable to use them due to his lack of vision. At that point, Yu heals himself, and then they keep jumping backwards in an attempt to outmanipulate one another before they both lose vision completely.

Granted, I don't know that that could fill out a whole season. They're both just trying to pop out one another's eyes or foil one another's plans badly enough that they have to leap again. That also feels like about 3 episodes worth to me.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This show is a total mess. Good action scenes this ep, good globe trotting. It just lacks the time and tightness to the writing. The show just keeps jumping from scenario to scenario: SoL, tragedy, timelooping, base-building, running-from-evil-scientists, permanent maiming, globe-trotting adventure, we're just thrown from one to the next, without giving the audience time to breath. There's an unpredictability to this show.

At least these are flaws borne of overambition, than mediocrity.

Another flaw this ep is that Yuu doesn't even get a proper arc for his fall-from-grace. He just just rocks up, upturns the lives of tens of thousands of people, probably kills hundreds, and the show suggests it is all a Bad Thing. Nao's scheme was a mistake. But the show never addresses it properly: Yuu never gets a proper redemptive arc for this storyline: Nao simply forgives him, and lo all is forgiven. And there is an inconsistency with the episode where Yuu and Kumagori and Nao were attacked, syndicates could attack Japan, but they couldn't even organise a resistance to Yuu's reign of terror, on their own home turf?

There are a ton of things this show does right, which is frustrating because it repeatedly drops the ball. I blame all this on poor time budgeting for the first half dozen episodes.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

.Clash posted:

There's a throwaway line somewhere about traveling with everything he can see. I assumed both brothers went along on the first trip, or something.

At least they didn't forget about Nao's brother, I guess. Also, the line “unusual ability-players” was pretty great, even if somehow a lot of the engrish sounded like native speakers given a dodgy script and told not to change anything.

So, was there meant to be some meaning to the last ability? Because it was just kinda there, and also not really an ability. Perfectly good opportunity to gently caress up Yu even more. After all the gunfire, I sure as hell didn't expect a chinese guy with a crossbow to manage.

Anyway, I'm kinda glad that since they decided to do this, it was mostly a mad dash all over the drat place, rather than a plodding, drawn out trip. There were plenty of lovely cityscapes to enjoy and all that. Even if I was kinda hoping he'd turn up dead in Saigon a couple years later or something. What an idiotic plan.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

This show is a total mess. Good action scenes this ep, good globe trotting. It just lacks the time and tightness to the writing. The show just keeps jumping from scenario to scenario: SoL, tragedy, timelooping, base-building, running-from-evil-scientists, permanent maiming, globe-trotting adventure, we're just thrown from one to the next, without giving the audience time to breath. There's an unpredictability to this show.

At least these are flaws borne of overambition, than mediocrity.

Another flaw this ep is that Yuu doesn't even get a proper arc for his fall-from-grace. He just just rocks up, upturns the lives of tens of thousands of people, probably kills hundreds, and the show suggests it is all a Bad Thing. Nao's scheme was a mistake. But the show never addresses it properly: Yuu never gets a proper redemptive arc for this storyline: Nao simply forgives him, and lo all is forgiven. And there is an inconsistency with the episode where Yuu and Kumagori and Nao were attacked, syndicates could attack Japan, but they couldn't even organise a resistance to Yuu's reign of terror, on their own home turf?

There are a ton of things this show does right, which is frustrating because it repeatedly drops the ball. I blame all this on poor time budgeting for the first half dozen episodes.

I think we're supposed to realize that the adults are pretty stupid too and while their "plan" was thoroughly thought out not all plans work once exposed to the reality and once it broke they had no plan B; then Yuu simply reached a critical mass of abilities and no one could stop him by then and it's too late.

As for Yuu's arc I think there's supposed to be this notion that redemption comes at a cost. Zhiend's singer there lost her eyes, presumably Shuu lost his eyes and his friend, Yuu lost his eye and his memories.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

.Clash posted:

Oh, that. I'm pretty sure that wasn't happening in the future, but rather the past/present that was currently being overwritten by the current timeline, which he was remembering because of Zhiend's song.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
If ever there were a poster child for pacing issues, this show is it. I feel like I just watched like 5 different series in the span of 13 episodes. The power-of-the-week stuff is so far removed from where we actually wound up that it's difficult to even reconcile the fact that they're from the same series.

And the thing is, I don't trust that having a longer broadcast run would have helped it any. I don't have enough confidence in the individual story beats to have enough meat to them to actually fill out that time in a meaningful way and I imagine the production team felt the same way so here we wound up. The time travel stuff is overdone and simultaneously has been done significantly better by just about every other story that's used it, the application here just lacks grace. The only interesting thing about it is that it undid a lot of his relationship with Nao and that's only addressed as a footnote, so it winds up being a drain on the story and a waste of a couple episodes. It seemed like a lot of even being able to watch this show was predicated upon just dismissing anything that didn't make sense, explaining poo poo takes time they don't have and would wind up boring anyway.

The ending was kind of gratifying? But mostly the beginning and end part? The first half of the episode where he's conscious, aware, and repentant was genuinely interesting, but they ran into a problem in the writing process I guess? Ultimately, it's a challenge that gets easier the further into it he gets. So they add the arbitrary "yeah but it makes him a crazy guy too". Oh okay, I guess? It's not as though you're lead to doubt for a second that he'd fail, so it all just kinda seems like running through the motions by that point.

I mean I could honestly watch several episodes (maybe a whole series?) of Plunderman roaming the globe and divesting people of their powers. Hunting down powers that make his job easier, stopping folks using theirs for bad, apologetically taking them from those doing good. It'd be like a modern day Mushishi or something.

This was a show with a lot of cool ideas but nearly zero cohesion and horrible pacing. Incidentally that describes Angel Beats, too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The bigger problem than the pacing was how loving absurd the last episode's main plot is: he literally went across the world and erased every single power with zero support while simultaneously being batshit insane. What in the actual gently caress?

It would have been significantly more satisfying if the last episode skimmed over the actual poo poo he was doing and had way more stuff where they solidified the relationship between Nao and Yuu. Really. If they needed to show Yuu losing it, that needed an episode plus another episode with him recovering his life afterwards. I guess in some way that relates to the pacing issues since we already had an episode like that.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 28, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This was honestly terrible, but still enjoyable. Don't watch Charlotte, but you won't regret watching it. You'll just be horribly confused and disappointed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
We'll always have the ED, at least. The time lapse shots with Nao captured in a single moment were nice imagery.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

The bigger problem than the pacing was how loving absurd the last episode's main plot is: he literally went across the world and erased every single power with zero support while simultaneously being batshit insane. What in the actual gently caress?

It would have been significantly more satisfying if the last episode skimmed over the actual poo poo he was doing and had way more stuff where they solidified the relationship between Nao and Yuu. Really. If they needed to show Yuu losing it, that needed an episode plus another episode with him recovering his life afterwards. I guess in some way that relates to the pacing issues since we already had an episode like that.

I dunno, that single minded determination is the stuff legends are born from. He's basically on auto pilot with his abilities automatically doing the work for him; he plundered an ability that lets them stay active even when he's asleep.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Due to Rewrite airing this season every Key anime was marathoned on niconico. On a whim I decided to watch Charlotte and it was sure an interesting ride. It totally felt like they tried to do to much and lacked focus. That being said the good parts were good but the bad parts were really bad.

The overarching "scientists and adults are evil" plot line was kind of stupid and it I personally think the series would have been better without it and the stupid drama it forced. For me, the Ayumi plot line and Yuu's downfall during that time was good "serious drama" and that was handled well but everything after that kind of sucked. I was however, a sucker for the last episode and the ending but it felt like it came out of nowhere and didn't really fit with the series as a whole.

I personally did enjoy the "ability user of the week" formula early on in the series and would have liked more of that, kind of like how I liked the early episodes of Angel Beats than the latter "serious" ones. I guess that's the biggest issue with Key animes for me. I enjoy the comedy, the characters, the character interactions but I don't like the forced (stupid) drama that always come with it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
"scientists and adults are evil" wasn't the plotline, only that there were certain organizations that existed, or would come to exist that would make their lives a living hell because of abilities that are on balance a curse. Using the time leap ability the organization the good guys were a part of would find scientists and adult politicians who were sympathetic to their cause; it just took effort and experience because they're idiot kids with powers they don't understand. I think this isn't a dumb way of going about it, I think it's using adults in general as an ammoral force that could both hinder or help them because as kids they lack the life experiences to understand adults and how to approach adults with their issues (this is almost metaphorical for the millennial-boomer divide!).

I think what would've made the show better given a second cours would've been to spend time on the adult side of things, where from the adult perspective its the kids who don't understand why adults need to make hard decisions for their own good; so not having this perspective makes the adult organizations almost entirely malicious sure, I can see how you see that but after the time leap reveal and the brother's plotline hints that it certainly wasn't the point of the characterization.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The central relationship in Charlotte was great. Pretty much everything else was a giant flaming trainwreck where you can't even tell which trains all the carriages came from.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I don't know, the whole "you better stop using your powers or the evil scientists/adults are gunna get'cha" was totally a thing through out the entire series. Basically the whole series was a struggle against adults, whether it be evil scientists, parents that sell their children, terrorist groups, crime syndicates, etc. While you could argue that there are "good adults" the only one that was out right shown as one is the old scientist dude.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, I felt like they crammed three scripts from different series into a 12-episode one.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
at least charlotte knew how to storytell

the rewrite ep was the most irritating vee en style character introduction piece

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Phobophilia posted:

at least charlotte knew how to storytell

the rewrite ep was the most irritating vee en style character introduction piece

They're cramming an 80 hour VN into 12 episodes and already in 45 minutes have gone so far off the rails of the initial pacing of the VN that it's clear to people who have read it that we're getting an anime only route. That said, it was loving awesome and well executed. It's definitely "for the fans" however and there are so many little nods to people who 100%ed the game and bits of foreshadowing ALREADY that I don't really think it's going to convert anyone who hasn't already read it, and I'm totally cool with that. This is the Special Route we never got to play.

rvm
May 6, 2013

pissdude posted:

They're cramming an 80 hour VN into 12 episodes and already in 45 minutes have gone so far off the rails of the initial pacing of the VN that it's clear to people who have read it that we're getting an anime only route. That said, it was loving awesome and well executed. It's definitely "for the fans" however and there are so many little nods to people who 100%ed the game and bits of foreshadowing ALREADY that I don't really think it's going to convert anyone who hasn't already read it, and I'm totally cool with that. This is the Special Route we never got to play.

Rewrite is by far the best thing Key has ever done, but that's, more or less, how I feel, too. Maybe Romeo wanted to get highschool bullshit that he apparently hates out of the way as quickly as possible, but that was just ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Someone more familiar with the Rewrite VN, do you think it would have broken the plot if the anime started with the club having already assembled? The parade of one-on-one character introduction scenes squeezed into this first episode got really awkward, but the moments when several of them were together and playing off each other worked better.

edit: I read through the entire Rewrite VN after I first made this post. It's really, really good and deserved a far better anime than the pile of trash 8bit threw together. :sigh:

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 27, 2016

• Locked thread