Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
You know, I've kind of been fixated on the last line of the Opening lyrics ("Even if you become a monster, we'll see this through to the end"), but in light of the "time leap" in the opening, the first two parts are probably more important. "What will I choose to keep, what will I give up on? Who am I to decide that?" is a set of lyrics I would definitely expect to see in the opening of a time travel show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

You know, for such an irritating episode, pretty much everything it made total sense. I was consistently exasperated throughout, but that's because they acted in ways that were totally consistent with their individual flaws and shortcomings.

Of course Kumagami (or any of the others) would crack under torture. Shunsuke has actual obvious effects from all the time travel: namely, that his response to "should I send my brother into certain danger against people who know all of his powers?" is "yes, duh, my friend is in trouble," because he's spent so much more time around his friends than his family. He's also really bad at solutions that don't involve time travel, because when all you've got is a hammer... Yu, being a stupid kid, is naturally inclined to believe Shunsuke is right (he's his big brother, he's the one with the secret organization, and Yu is kind of passive), so he ignores his good sense in favor of following Shunsuke's stupid-rear end plan. And of course the stupid-rear end plan fails miserably.

Seriously, though: if you're warned that doing something will get your family taken hostage and gently caress everything up, and then you do it anyway and that exact thing happens, you forfeit the right to sympathy. I kind of hoped Yu would exhibit some of his off-and-on-again sociopathy and time travel to prevent it anyway, because gently caress that guy and gently caress his family. On a similar note, I kind of expected Yu to just time travel out before the big plot happened, because trading one imprisoning scientific organization for another really isn't much of an upgrade.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Arkeus posted:

That episode was horrible- everyone acted out of character as gently caress. Yuu was somehow incredibly weird in how he handled the actual conflict, the big brother was even weirder given he had lived a life where he had to sacrifice people all the time, so why should he give a gently caress about a traitor's family? Then there is Nao who was incredibly dumb in how to use her power, and Kuragami who stopped his phone to the syndicate for....reasons...

Raenir Salazar posted:

Both of these cannot be true at the same time.

I think Arkeus is mistaking "being a dumb, flawed kid" for "being out of character."

Yu talks a good game, but he's kind of passive and emotionally fragile; we got an entire episode dedicated to the way he just utterly shuts down in the face of loss, so the idea that he folds up and just follows orders when stressed is totally in-line with what we've seen. He'd a kid who's never had to deal with real, important stakes, so he's no good at it. Shunsuke doesn't have experience dealing with loss either, because his power has ensured that he never had to. The only thing he ever had to lose was his sight, because everything else could be rewound; he's on his first timeline without a reset button, on the first real problem where he doesn't already have a solution, and the idea that he might actually lose something forever makes him flip the gently caress out. Plus, he's spent more time around his friends than his family--dozens and dozens of years. Dude has a lot of accumulated time, but it's not the right kind of time to deal with any of this.

Nao, meanwhile, ambushes one dude and then gets dropped by someone who a) knows about her power and b) can actually fight. Kumagami probably didn't call for the same reason Yu didn't just say "gently caress that guy's family" and time leap--because not playing along gets them killed and he doesn't want that on his head. He thinks that he can withstand their questions, and he gets proven wrong when they step it up to torture.

Charlotte mostly appears to be a story about what would actually happen if superpowered children were dropped into a global conspiracy fight for control of said superpowers: it goes about as well as you'd rationally expect, because at the end of the day they're still children.

• Locked thread