Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

J-Spot posted:

The first episode kind of tricked me into thinking Yuu would be a super powered sociopath and I'm disappointed they didn't keep that up. Dude intentionally crashes a truck into a building to trick a girl into liking him, then suddenly he's completely neutered by Nao.

Yeah, that's where I was too. Starts out as "Bigger rear end in a top hat than Lelouch" and then switches schools and becomes a nice caring guy just trying to do his best for his dear new friends. I think I'd rather watch an alternate-universe version where they didn't transfer him to the new school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Oh god, the pizza sauce is totally going to become a real plot point, isn't it?

Ayu runs out of Pizza Sauce. Ayu becomes ill. They went out of their way to display the two events next to one another. It's probably going to turn out that the Otosaka Special Recipe sauce includes some form of medication that keeps her from dying in some sort of horrifyingly painful way

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Darth Walrus posted:

Best female lead in a Maeda show, or is there another I am unfamiliar with?

She strikes me as being almost completely full of poo poo, but in a realistic "awkward high school student" way.

That being said, this might be entirely the fault of the translation. CR has hired some new native Japanese speaker(s?) and they haven't been getting the editing support they need, making some of the dialogue in both this and Classroom Crisis seem awkward as hell.

This episode was especially bad, editing-wise, though.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

That's great. Must read supplementary material for the show.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So we got confirmation of something important this episode.
The issues with the scripts for both this and Classroom Crisis are the same guy's fault

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Blhue posted:

the start of a maeda ending

So Jun Maeda is the Japanese version of Neal Stephenson?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

smenj posted:

Well, that still didn't explain why the main character remembers any of the other timelines, especially since the one he remembered didn't appear to be the last one his brother leaped from, so I'm a little confused about that. Hopefully that gets explained somehow. Also, he needs to remember to get around to helping out Nao's brother again, since he hasn't done that yet at this point.

The only timeline that Yuu remembered was the timeline from which he had timeleapt originally. Also, Shun's body always reverted to the age he was at at the time to which he leapt back. Quantum entanglement or something similar caused the original timeline to be preserved across all timelines, at least in some sense, for those that had been party to that timeline, or something, since we know that it can go backward in time http://www.livescience.com/19975-spooky-quantum-entanglement.html

On the other hand, Ayumi Only remembered the existence of a third member of their nuclear family, with nothing to suggest that either she or anyone else remembered the original timeline.

EDIT: Just rewatched the segment from ep 9: It's unclear which of the two actually leapt and there were gunshots at the very end of his memory and a black screen, so it's entirely possible, but I thought it had been more clear that it was Yuu that had originally leapt.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 5, 2015

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

smenj posted:

It was more the fact that he knew exactly where it was going to happen, and was waiting there in advance well before anyone had even showed up. Still, as I said, it's nothing major, just a strange omission. :shrug:

That could just as easily be the fault of the translation. That scene where Yusarin and Nao are in the hallways, he says something like "Their disguises were worthless". I don't speak Japanese, so I can't translate it myself, but you could see how a similar sentence (Along the lines of "Even with a disguise, they get discovered immediately") would imply multiple jumps backward even while it wasn't explicitly spelled out.

One thing that I found interesting, though, was the theme of blindness. We had already met a blind character, who explained her disability in terms suggesting that it was payment or punishment or redemption for something or another.

In what way will she be related to the ongoing shunsuke/yuu plotline?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
That was certainly an episode. At least we officially learned what CHARLOTTE is.

I really like how they managed to remove time-leap from the equation so quickly after introducing it, to keep the story from getting stupid. Also, it looks like our new friend is still alive, so hopefully she'll be able to provide some input into exactly what the gently caress the plan was and why she was collaborating.

Again it all comes down to Zhiend lady and what her powers were/are. She's the one factor we know of at this point that hasn't been fully vetted, so she either set this whole thing into motion (remember she's also not Japanese) or she's going to be the one to fix it

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Myriad Truths posted:

Yeah, this just isn't a very good show, is it? I don't know why KEY keeps trying to squeeze these convoluted plotlines into 12 episode series. This episode unsurprisingly was way too fast-paced and thus everything felt contrived and out of the blue. No tension at all.

I still like it, and the memory thing still has the possibility of being explained. On the other hand, they could easily have cut out a few of the monster-of-the-week episodes at the beginning to make the pacing of the last few episodes a bit less hectic.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There's been a whole bunch of 13-episode series that feel like they're paced like 26 episode series and just hoping to get picked up for a second cours this past year, it feels like.

I could see wanting 4 more episodes after this point, but not 13 more by any means.

And yeah, the first thing I did after watching was check MAL to make sure it was 13 episodes.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Phobophilia posted:

Also, how was he expecting to find people with superpowers? Is he going to channel Kumagori and have him write down names and locations? If so, why didn't he pop out in front of Shun and alleviate his best friend's suffering?

Somehow I had completely forgotten about Yusa's ability during all of this nonsense. That's not the worst idea, though it's probably not possible for the time being. Remember Misa's explanation to Yu about how the power works. "My existence is like a balloon being held in this plane by Yusa" or whatever the specific line was.

Is there anyone presently dead who is dear enough to Yu that the ability would trigger?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Everyman posted:

I don't know whether I'm disappointed or relieved the resolution wasn't Yuu somehow time leaping to his child self after gaining a power that lets him nuke the comet out of orbit or something.

I expected the solution to be for Yuu to time leap into the past with a big bottle of vaccine and mix it in with HepB vaccines or something. But I guess he can't presently timeleap until he finds the one guy whose power is that he can regenerate his eye.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I don't see how they could have done the last episode any better given what they'd prepared to that point, so well done to them.

In the end, though, the entire episode with Zhiend was wasted, as well as just about everything [Yu|Mi]sa did or said over the entire course of the show, except of course for the drama involving Misa's final departure.

I would have liked a few more episodes showing Yu going around the world stealing abilities in their stead.

EDIT: The right-hand drive car in the US annoyed me, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

.Clash posted:

His brother did, not him. When they were held by the EVIL SCIENTISTS.

That's not clear. We just saw a blank screen and heard gunshots.

Another interesting question, perhaps for a second season, would be if Yu healed Shun's vision and he went back into timetravel mode and started to gently caress with things. As far as we know, Shun never got his powers stolen in THIS timeline branch, he was just unable to use them due to his lack of vision. At that point, Yu heals himself, and then they keep jumping backwards in an attempt to outmanipulate one another before they both lose vision completely.

Granted, I don't know that that could fill out a whole season. They're both just trying to pop out one another's eyes or foil one another's plans badly enough that they have to leap again. That also feels like about 3 episodes worth to me.

• Locked thread