Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Fighting evil supervillains, or at least misguided people with grandiose plans, is the standard thing for superheroes to do, though. Bullying people who were using the powers in petty ways into staying in line is a more unusual premise.

I do wish they'd explain why they don't fight the mad scientists, though.

You've seen this lot and what they can do, right? Can you honestly imagine them going up against the might of a national government with years of experience in capturing and studying people like them? I mean, we all know it'll happen eventually when Yuu's sister gets kidnapped, but you can see why it wouldn't exactly be their first choice.

As for the kidnap-and-experimentation plot point, I'm giving it a bit of a free pass because similar stuff has actually happened in real life. As Project MKULTRA and the War on Terror torture program demonstrate, governments are capable of authorising remarkably depraved, pointless poo poo for a remarkably long time in the interests of national security, and a plague of superpowers among teenagers seems like a pretty exploitable national-security issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Space Flower posted:

I think Nao intends to just soak up the punishment and Yuu seems aware enough to catch on. In this episode and in previous ones, Nao always takes hits where she could have used her ability to save herself. It seems like the sort of thing that will become relevant later.

Also, Yuu isn't exactly the world's most heroic guy. He's nice to his sister, but he's still a selfish, passive rear end in a top hat who has to be ordered to do his job at this stage of the story (see also how he almost gets a guy killed because he doesn't want to feel a bit of pain at the end of the ep). Joujirou would almost certainly have railgunned them if he'd been in Yuu's place.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

One of the things that was really interesting to me at the start of this show was the idea that the all of the powers had some sort of flaw to them that essentially stopped their users from going off and being super heroes but after Yuu, Nao and Joujirou they kind of just forgot about that idea. I guess the flaw to Yusa's power is that she seemingly has no control over when she is possessed so her power is actively a bad thing for her, but her sister's fire power seems perfectly fine and all of the one-off characters had no problems with their powers outside of the fact that they will eventually go away.
Also is there ever going to be a character called Charlotte in this series or did they just pluck that name out of a hat?

There were good powers with no drawbacks from day one. Our protagonists just weren't lucky enough to have them. See also Nao's poor brother, the walking ECM system with supernaturally neat guitar skills.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Quellar posted:

The first episode of this was so good. But once the plot started being all about main girl Nao it got really boring. Why is she such an inconsistent character? She can't seem to make up her mind about how she wants to treat the MC. I get that she's supposed to be manipulative and detached but it just feels like there was a bunch of different script writers or something.

I don't think it's inconsistent so much as a downplayed version of the standard tsundere conflict. They're very similar people with very similar interests, which means there's good reason for them to like each other, but being smartmouthed assholes is also something they have in common, and Yuu's cowardice and Nao's overbearing, manipulative attitude (particularly when she's on the job - girl feels to me like she has something to prove) create a distance as well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Nao barely counts as tsundere, she doesn't mistreat Yuu at all. They're just naturally comfortable around one another. If anything, she comes off as a very rounded person, much more so than Misa or Imouto. There's alot of complicated emotion underneath the surface, all pushing her to do a variety of different things for her goals.

Jou came off pretty cool this episode as well.

Well, quite. She's complex, not inconsistent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
No better demonstration of true friendship than defenestrating a dude so you don't have to.

I must admit, the red herring in this ep did have me going. I honestly thought that the red-haired girl had the real superpower, and the 'collapse' was her mind-crushing Ayumi to keep her out of the way of her ex-boyfriend. Then nope, looks like someone needs to buy a new middle-school :stare:.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

J-Spot posted:

Nao continues to own.

Best female lead in a Maeda show, or is there another I am unfamiliar with?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bets on Ayumi's funeral being a cover for the government getting their hands on her?

I mean, there was a lot of blood, but...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Perhaps Nao could explain why cocaine was the line Yu couldn't cross but threatening to kill people, starting gang wars with his powers and literally stabbing several people were just fine.

You've seen how she ran the student council's operations for the last six episodes, right?

Threats and gratuitous violence are all well and good, but you should at least stay sober enough to enjoy it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Were those guys in suits that came to Yuu's door supposed to be from the group of evil scientists or were they just staff from school/building he lives in?

I got the impression they were heavies from the school sent to deal with a student who'd locked himself in the dormitory for days after all the more pleasant solutions failed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Also the MC and Nao have a hell of emotional connection, when Nao isn't dialling up the manipulativeness.

Totally rooting for these two superpowered teenage sociopaths to find happiness together. :unsmith:

And maybe spare the rest of us in their thousand-year-reign of horror, bloodshed, and unpleasantly creative use of dango skewers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, that all went oddly smoothly. Wonder when and how the other shoe's going to drop?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One alarming possibility - Shun's lying, and has made a deal with the devil in the form of the government, feeding them the occasional kid in order to ensure the safety of the rest. That would give us an endgame crisis and explain why his narrative doesn't match up with Yuu's memories.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

That is quite possible. Shun is the only person Nao trusts, and that's a giant flashing chekov's gun if I saw one.

Though what was the discrepancy between Yuu's memories and Shun's account? I didn't spot any.

Yuu still remembers the first time-leap, which shouldn't be possible if he wasn't the one who did it (and flatly contradicts how Shun said he behaved after that leap).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They just neutralised and removed the entire supporting cast. You can certainly argue that resolving the main conflict offscreen between the last two episodes is bad writing, but there's no way they're angling for a second season here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The central relationship in Charlotte was great. Pretty much everything else was a giant flaming trainwreck where you can't even tell which trains all the carriages came from.

• Locked thread