Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for July, 2015?
This poll is closed.
:perfect: Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) 46 24.08%
:eyepop: Prince Puma (Lucha Underground Champion) 28 14.66%
:rant: Seth Rollins (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 19 9.95%
:human being: AJ Styles (FORMER IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 9 4.71%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 40 20.94%
:flashfap: Masato Yoshino (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 9 4.71%
:patriot: Kurt Angle (FORMER TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 8 4.19%
:wotwot: Ethan Carter III (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 11 5.76%
:goku: Hirooki Goto (IWGP Intercontintal Champion) 1 0.52%
:dukedog: Hiroyoshi Tenzan (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 2 1.05%
:nallears: Yeah okay whatever.... (None of the Above) 18 9.42%
Total: 191 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

After two months of it coming down to ONE SINGLE VOTE, the winner in June did so with dominance, as Jay Lethal had a well-deserved win with close to 50% of the total votes cast in his favor.

Now it is time to see who was our Champion for the month of July. To be eligible, a wrestler needs to have held any of the currently accepted title belts for at least one day of the month OR had at least one title defense since becoming Champion. This means if someone wins the title on the last day of the month and defends it that night, they're eligible, and if they win the title on the first day of the month and don't defend it at all, they're eligible. The only case where someone won't be eligible is if they win the title on the last day of the month and don't defend it. Please note that belts for promotions such as PWG haven't been included in monthly polls so far because not only can months go by where the Champion doesn't defend their belt, but where the Champion doesn't make an appearance or even do a promo about his title. If you feel this is inaccurate and you are willing to provide me with links/information etc on a monthly basis showing why your favorite promotion's Champion is actively doing stuff as champ and deserves to be on the poll, then I'm happy to change this stance. Also, given some of the things that have been said over the last few months, the monthly "None of the Above" option is now just as valid a "winner" as any other Champion. If enough people truly feel none of the current Champions deserve a vote, that will be reflected in the final results.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone - Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread!

:perfect: Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) - Following his defeat of the undefeated Jay Briscoe, Jay Lethal had done exactly what he claimed he would do and proven he - the TV Champion - was better than the World Champion. But for matchmaker Nigel McGuinness that raised an interesting question - was Lethal now going to vacate the television title? Not so, claimed Lethal, who insisted he would continue to prove he was the best by defending both his TV Title AND the World Title - essentially he claimed he was hardcore and would take both! His first challenger for the World Title was already set, as Roderick Strong was set to face him at Death Before Dishonor XIII. Roddy was once in Lethal's position as the shining star of the House of Truth, so would his knowledge of the workings of Truth Martini come into play? At the PPV, the two threw everything they had at each other.... and neither had enough to pull it off. After one hour the time limit draw was reached, as the crowd chanted,"FIVE MORE MINUTES!" and,"MATCH OF THE YEAR" at the two exhausted but still willing wrestlers. It was not to be, and Lethal retained his title.... but it raised questions, if he is truly the best in the world, why couldn't he beat Roddy? True, Roddy couldn't beat him either, and the Champion retains in a draw.... but are we seeing the first signs that Lethal's long streak of superiority is nearing its end?

:eyepop: Prince Puma (Lucha Underground Champion) - Everything in LU has been building for weeks now to ULTIMA LUCHA, the big season finale of the excellent, excellent first season of the remarkable new promotion/television show. The top match of that show will be Prince Puma vs Mil Muertes, the man who cannot die. So all through July, the two faced off in segments to build excitement to the match, and boy did they do their jobs well. At first Puma seemed a trifle overwhelmed by Muertes' presence, his youth and relative inexperience evident even behind his mask. But when Konnan was attacked, Puma proved that when it comes to fighting he has all the experience he needs. Easily taking down the spooky Disciples of Death, Puma then got into a physical confrontation with the terrifying Muertes.... and not only came out on top, but made it look easy. The last we saw of Puma this month was posing victorious over his downed foe, albeit one whose entire gimmick is,"No matter how much you kill him, he just keeps coming back." The match will take place in the first week of August, and then we will have to wait with fingers crossed to see if there will be a season 2. Whether Puma wins or loses, we may be running out of time to vote for him so if you like him, make it count while you can.

:rant: Seth Rollins (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - Seth was a marked man all throughout July. After a very brief period where his Authority stooges got to put a beating on Brock, throughout July we watched them all get taken apart by Brock, including the Demon Kane. Furious, Seth attacked Kane as well for not taking care of the problem for him, and insisted that he would do it himself and prove he was Brock's superior. Technically speaking he did exactly that, since he came out of Battleground still holding the title. In reality though he took a massive beating from Brock, hit with 13 suplexes and utterly dominated despite his efforts to get in his sneak attacks. But just when it looked like Brock had things won, the GONG sounded and the Undertaker returned, attacking Brock while Seth got the hell out of dodge. Brock won the match by DQ, but Seth retained the belt, which he made a point of forcing Lilian Garcia to remind the audience of the next day on Raw. Taking advantage of Brock being obsessed with the Undertaker, Seth talked some poo poo about both knowing they wouldn't bother with him, but that brought out John Cena. In what some claim to be rehash of the Jay Lethal/Jay Briscoe program, Cena now appears to be gunning for Seth's World Title in addition to his US Title. July ended with Seth and Cena fighting on Raw for Cena's US Title where Seth obliterated Cena's nose with a flying knee, but Cena still won the match by making Seth tap out. Come August, Seth may find himself the latest in a long line of talented wrestlers to fall before the might of Cena, but for July at least you can still vote for Seth as Champion... and hey, he did survive Brock!

:human being: AJ Styles (FORMER IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - A stronger contender for being one of the best wrestlers in the world, AJ Styles' title reign ended at the start of July when he went head to head with another guy also widely considered one of the very best in the world in a strong Match of the Year Candidate, so this is your last chance to vote for AJ..... for the time being, after all there are some who think he could be the first Gaijin to win the G1 Climax.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Gedo's perfect "son" returned to the top of the mountain at last. It's been 7 months since his devastating loss to Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom, and after a lengthy period of struggling to get his groove back following losses to Bad Luck Fale, he finally seemed to put his loss behind him. Destroying Fale, Okada quickly put AJ back in his sights and targeted him for attacks leading into their match at Dominion at the start of July. After a long, quality match, the two engaged in an utterly incredible back and forth sequence as each tried to hit their Finisher on the other. In the end it was Okada who came out on top, escaping the Styles Clash and hitting the Rainmaker to put down AJ and take HIS title back. Gedo beamed with pride, Okada basked in the glow of victory, and all was right in the world again. Okada has been this forum's most winning Champion since poll results began being recorded, will he return to the winning circle again?

:flashfap: Masato Yoshino (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - NJPW's G1 Climax was what most people were excited about re: Japanese wrestling in July, but Dragon Gate also had a BIIIIIIG show in July, the Pro-Wrestling Festival. There, Masato Yoshino defeated T-Hawk in a match that had people raving, a 30 minute match that got many MOTYC nominations. Easy to overlook, it's a match you might want to check out if you can, though of course that's your own choice.

:patriot: Kurt Angle (FORMER TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Kurt's title reign ended appropriately enough with a quality match, as he and Ethan Carter III fought for the title on Impact (not PPV). Kurt's surgeries have effectively ended his career, and while some would say that it was an ignominous end to what should have been a glorious career, the fact that even as banged up as he was and after as many injuries/surgeries as he has had he was still capable of such well-regarded matches speaks volumes about just how good he was. This may not only be your last chance to vote for Kurt as Champion for awhile, it may be your last chance to vote for him as Champion FOREVER.

:wotwot: Ethan Carter III (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - It may have been a bit of a poison pill for ECIII to win the title when he did. TNA's future is uncertain, as as things currently stand they will not have a US broadcaster at the end of September of this year but they still have overseas commitments to fill. With talent moving on, costs being cut, and a general air of uncertainty all around, ECIII is champion during a period of great tumult. Tapings are made far in advance and aired not necessarily in order, meaning that some of the title matches ECIII had during a very busy July have not aired yet and may in fact NEVER air. But one thing that seems to remain consistent is that ECIII is pretty drat good, both as a character and as a wrestler, and with any luck he won't go down in pro-wrestling history as the guy who caught the "hot potato" just before the game got called off.

:goku: Hirooki Goto (IWGP Intercontintal Champion) - July is G1 season, and as a result Goto outside of an early successful defense of his IC Belt against Shinsuke Nakamura, there hasn't been much from him directly involving his status as IC Champion. Vote accordingly.

:dukedog: Hiroyoshi Tenzan (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) - July is G1 season, and as a result Tenzan has had plenty of matches but nothing involving defenses of his NWA Title. Vote accordingly. He DOES have matches already booked for a tour of America in August for the NWA, but those are for next month's poll to consider.

:nallears: Yeah okay whatever.... (None of the Above) - If not a single one of these champions is of any interest to you, then vote this option to express that disdain, or just to see the results of other people's voting.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

jay lethal did the most wrestling as champ last month

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Voted for Jay Lethal, the Real Champion

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Okada had the best match and won the title on a huge card so he deserves it. Yoshino would also be a worthy choice, though I preferred Okada/Styles.

The 60 minute broadway was pretty good and a sensible booking decision given the situation but a good match on an ROH b-show doesn't quite compare.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

roderick strong, wrestler of the year, pwg world champ, unrecognized yet again

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I found Lethal's title defense on the PPV last week really incredibly boring. I voted Yoshino again because I felt the opposite watching his title defense at Kobe World

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

also its my birthday so lets go roddy youre the best

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
AJ is elevating his entire block in the G1, and makes tag trios entertaining with his trashtalk. He wins a vote.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I don't really watch RoH so I went with one last vote of A.J. Styles since he ended his reign with one hell of a match. Puma and Okada are both solid contenders though, and Angle has a good argument for a sad pity vote as both TNA and his career die.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Remake with an option for Rowdy Roddy Piper tia

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Remake with an option for Rowdy Roddy Piper tia

Piper, champ of our childhoods

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Wasn't Angle not even in the poll last month

Also where's Akebono

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DynamiteKidd posted:

Wasn't Angle not even in the poll last month

He was in the poll and got 3 votes.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Thauros posted:

Okada had the best match and won the title on a huge card so he deserves it.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Will always vote for Okada in the hopes that it will retroactively replace Daniel Bryan's undeserved wins in 2013 that stopped what should have been Okada's year-long streak.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Write in vote for Rowdy Roddy Piper

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DynamiteKidd posted:

Also where's Akebono

Screw that, where's Minoru Suzuki, GHC champ?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
How on earth did Tyler Black not win a single month in 2010...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Is this the first year that we've had a winner from 4 separate promotions?

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

lmao if you didn't vote Lethal

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Doo-Wop Duodenum posted:

lmao if you didn't vote Lethal

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Voted for EC3, as he will be the answer to a trivia question in the future

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Okada because that match ruled and I'm still really bitter about having to sell my BITW ticket

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

well, Lethal escaped with his belt via draw, but Okada already lost a drat match since he's been champ

Yoshino or Goto????????

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

voted Yoshino

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
went speeeed starrrrr it's lightening in the jungggleeeeee

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It's Okada you scrubs

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It's Okada you scrubs

yeah, i know that match was at the very beginning of the month, but c'mon. He's had some nice matches in the G1 too.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Voted Jay Lethal the Champion of Champions

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I dug Lethal's title defense against Roddy and thought the 60 minute draw was pretty cool, but Okada's victory over AJ was incredible and I had to give him the nod.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

21 Hoot Salute posted:

Write in vote for Rowdy Roddy Piper

No racists allowed in Jay Lethal's house.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Mother.
loving.
RRRRAAAINMAKAH!!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The only rain he makes is tears. Tears that fall from his eyes when he loses

Mr Muggy
Mar 30, 2010

I'm just gonna do this for about two minutes, okay?
SPEEEEEED STAAAAAR

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i gotta go with yoshino because i could watch his torbellino on a loop

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

jay lethal could not beat my boy roddy "the messiah of the backbreaker" strong. we all know who the true roh champion is :colbert:

voted Okada

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Abstained but lol The Miz in 2010

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

While it's not quite as close as the previous couple of months before Lethal's dominating win, it's still close enough that your ONE SINGLE VOTE could make a difference. Lethal currently leads Okada by five votes, and it's not outside the realm of possibility that Prince Puma could still have a late charge and catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yes so vote Lethal, the only champion in this tournament who did a for real hour long broadway this month

The Real World Champ

• Locked thread