Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

InitialDave posted:

What is it with sodding 20th Century Fox blu-rays? My player has the newest firmware, yet won't recognise my Kingsman disc. Apparently they're known to be bad for these problems?

I managed to get it to play once the other day, but it just doesn't want to work now.

people still buys their movies on discs? mind blown :pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
gently caress yeah, August. It's my birthday this month, and my dad got me a Makita cordless drill/driver, and the wife appears to have got me a recipe book and some new cooking gear. Not. loving. Bad.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nodoze posted:

How many of you who have motorcycles ride them when it's cold out?

I did the first year I had my bike because it was new and exciting. Now I only ride when its nice out.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Still thinking over my automotive ADD. Currently:

2008 Mazdaspeed 3, 49k
1997 Miata, 149k

Since I moved into my new house, my commute is less than 2 miles. I don't want to put that kind of wear on my MS3 so I've been driving the Miata every day. It already has tons of miles so who cares if I short trip the crap out of it. The Miata used to be my fun weekend car, but since it has DD duty now, the MS3 is kind of my fun weekend car. I really like it still, but I'm thinking of getting something else while I can still get decent money for it.

Been looking at C5's, and I could pretty much get one for what I'd be able to sell my MS3 for. Since a C5 and the Miata are pretty similar in usage, I'd probably sell the Miata and just get a cheap beater to drive back and forth to work.

I guess I need to drive a C5 before I decide. Don't we have one or two posters here with one?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Nodoze posted:

I do since it's my main commuting method. I only take the car or jeep when it's pouring rain (not all my gear is waterproof) or icy/freezing/snowing.

My limit for cold right now is somewhere in the mid-high 30F area, as that's around the temp where my hands start going numb from the cold after a half hour with my current gloves and liners, though my winter jacket and overpants are still plenty warm at those temps. Once I get some waterproof winter gloves and heated grips or heated glove liners, I should be fine in anything except ice or snow.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Dagge

:3:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Nodoze posted:

I rarely ride at all anymore but I would rather ride when it's cold than when it's hot. When it's cold I can put liners in my gear and if it's really cold I can add heated cloths to the mix. When it's hot then everything just sucks and I might as well drive and have AC.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Tonight I went out to town for a gig in my local shithole venue independent small venue and used the local bus for the first time in over 15 years. (I use the bus in London loads while working but never the rural one where I live up north)

Not only was I amazed that there was a direct bus to where I wanted to go available from a stop 2 minutes walk from my house, but I was also astounded to find that over the last 15 years since I last used it this bus has not only got much nicer but has also only gone up by around 50%. In the same time period petrol has pretty much doubled in price and car parking has gone from free to chargeable everywhere.

The bus fare now costs less than the parking charges alone.

As a car lover I almost feel bad that I will now be catching the bus out to go drinking much more often!

Also - If anybody likes instrumental stoner/sludge metal then these guys rock - https://player.spotify.com/album/0O3wrQXzezyYwFJ2hwWcqv

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Nodoze posted:

I was a year round commuter for a couple years (in TN) so the cold wasn't too bad with my gear, coldest I saw was +12f. Gear was Olympia Phantom one piece for years then a Aerostich with heated jacket liner, gloves and grips. Balaclava under the helmet helps a lot, I liked my underarmor cold gear or whatever one only issue was the visor icing up. Commute was ~20 miles and 30 minutes of highway after I moved, before that 20 miles of interstate 5 surface streets and 2 highway.

Honestly I loved it and temps down to mid 20's I could ride for hours without any discomfort. Bike was a SV650 naked with DL650 had guards installed for winter.

:3: I need to stop traveling so I can get a dog.

Tomarse posted:

As a car lover I almost feel bad that I will now be catching the bus out to go drinking much more often!
This might have been the thing I loved about Berlin the most. I could walk 10 minutes from the office, hope a train to the hotel (dropped off ~20 ft from the front door) then jump back on and be downtown for 2.50 euro. Drink, eat and have a blast then grab a train back and never have to worry about parking, DUI or anything else.

Think I posted this in the July thread but Indianapolis Moto GP next weekend. Should be a good time, hopefully the weather cooperates and it isn't too unbearably hot or a monsoon.

Foolishly? thinking about heading to Atalanta for Tomorrow World this year. Haven't been to a festival but the lineup looks good and I watch it and Tomorrow Land live stream every year. Seems like it would be a pretty great way to spend a weekend.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 2, 2015

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I had a pretty AI day.

I got to drive this:

To its my limits.

Thompson Speedway in CT has an exotic road course thing and I got a Groupon deal and split it with a friend. It was kind of expensive but eh, it was my first time on a track and driving an incredibly expensive car. I had a great time.

I learned a lot. Driving on a track was even harder than expected. Maybe starting with a 580hp car isn't the best but it sure was fun.

Then we went and picked up my friend's new car.

And of course :britain:

It actually runs but it's not quite ready for the street.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

Talked to TWC. $39.95 just to have them show up, can't give me a total price over the phone, but was told it would likely be at least $100. gently caress that.

I got a long rear end 100 foot extension cord, a hammer, and duct tape, and threw that motherfucker as hard as I could across the attic.

.... made it halfway. Dragged myself on my rear end across the rafters and got it to the other side, and even managed to pop out of the other hatch. Now to duct tape the new coax to the extension cord, pull it back, and hope it doesn't snag again.

fake edit: moving this to the August thread.

real edit: replaced early 90s coax with RG6U, downstream signal strength has gone down significantly. :fuckoff: (yet the SNR has gone down too :psyduck: ) Upstream power levels are exactly the same. It's locking at a higher downstream frequency now, so I don't know if that has something to do with the lower signal levels. Signal quality to the HDHomeRuns is also down a little.

I need to just get some modern splitters. The ones I have now are decent quality (Regal), but original to the house, and only rated to 1 GHz. I have a Klein up in the attic, but it's an 8 port, and I'm worried that many ports, even with terminators, will degrade the signal further.

real edit 2: pulled new cable to the modem outlet, signal quality is much better and uncorrectable errors are a tiny fraction of what they were before. upstream power is still on the high side, but it's got a stable signal now.

RF is goddamn voodoo magic, man. I'd definitely replace those splitters, most stuff goes up to 1.5+ GHz these days. Number of ports on the splitter is largely irrelevant; you lose ~1dB for every connector junction, and usually a couple dB for every splitter, but the number of ports shouldn't change that loss unless it's an absolute piece of trash splitter.

Still, no point having more ports than you have a use for.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fjelltorsk posted:

people still buys their movies on discs? mind blown :pusheen:

Adiabatic posted:

Halt and Catch Fire is on Netflix and I've been watching the poo poo out of it recently. It's like Mad Men, in the 80s, with hardware and BIOS wars.

I just watched the first two episodes and I think I'm gonna like this.

Other than the foley dude using air cooled 911 sounds for the 944 :spergin:

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Second month as a service writer and I am doing pretty good. I'm really liking the job so far; I think the big reason is I work for a great indie shop that is always above board with customers. Went from writing 12 cars a week in my first month to 37 this last week. My first salary job ever, but its the best paying I've ever had too. :)

I fell in love with the E36 3 series vert with the M sports package though. I never thought a clutch could be so smooth! I did notice how easy it would be to moneyshift one. The gate location/distance for 1st and 3rd are far too similar. Before that one my favorite test drive was the E46 330i, and a manual trans 2001 4runner. Time to start saving some pennies I guess.

In the meantime, a customer is trying to get rid of his 1992 civic DX hatch. No power steering, A/c blows cold, clutch is smooth, T belt done 40k ago, needs a little work but nothing major. 144k miles. Great interior. He bought it for 400. I think I'll offer him 750 for it and see if he takes it :D If not, I guess I could finally get the A/C working in my WRX before the summer is over.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
After 13 weeks of waiting my car FINALLY... did not arrive. I went to the dealership today, 5 weeks after the quoted latest delivery date, and told them to gently caress off. Couldn't get my deposit back because their finance people were out (supposedly) but it'll be done on Monday. Went 8 minutes north to another Ford dealership and bought a 2015 Fiesta ST in Performance Blue with the "factory loaded" spec for the same price, after rebates and haggling, that I had agreed to buy the custom-specc'd car for. It's being trailered in from 4 hours away on Monday morning.

Buying a brand-new car is nothing but loving stress.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Christ. Was just behind a dude towing a lawnmower on a trailer that had a gnarly blowout. Dude's tire suddenly started shredding going down the highway at 60mph or so and it was flinging massive chunks of rubber back at my car. Started flashing my lights trying to get him to pull over but he drove probably another mile or two before swinging into the gas station. Stopped and talked to him, he said he didn't even notice, thought maybe he had a flat or something. It managed to take out his trailer license plate, looks like a chunk bent the fender pretty badly as well, and he was driving on half rim, half shredded tire for probably a mile at least. I'm just glad that dude's trailer didn't get loose and cause a wreck, and that nothing major happened to my car. Pretty sure I took a few chunks to the front bumper, but luckily it's that rubbery plastic material so they just deflected off and away.

I'm just amazed he didn't notice the tire self destructing at 60mph over the course of maybe 30 seconds.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i think beerchat was happening recently right? RCR just posted a pocast-y thing on youtube, reviewing beers and playing KSP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbNq4cZPpF0

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Good luck man, we're pulling for you!

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I literally just sprinted out of a bar to avoid a girl who was trying to take me home.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

literally a fish posted:

RF is goddamn voodoo magic, man. I'd definitely replace those splitters, most stuff goes up to 1.5+ GHz these days. Number of ports on the splitter is largely irrelevant; you lose ~1dB for every connector junction, and usually a couple dB for every splitter, but the number of ports shouldn't change that loss unless it's an absolute piece of trash splitter.

Still, no point having more ports than you have a use for.

A good friend of mine is a cable installer. He had me take the modem to the grounding block outside and send him a screenshot of the signal levels - MASSIVE difference, with absolutely zero CRC errors, though SNR was still the same. He's positive it's either a bad connection somewhere (doubtful, I just pulled new cable from the outside all the way to the splitter, and the modem is on the -3.5db port on the splitter with new cable as well, though I may have done a poor crimping job somewhere) or old splitters. The splitter I've had the most luck with is a 3 port that's as old as the house (1994).

He's sending me some splitters, and also sending me a powered DOCSIS 3.0 amp (0db loss on 7 ports, plus an 8th passive port, which is meant for a MTA).

e: I should probably just try eliminating the splitters entirely and using a coupler to connect the modem outlet directly to the main coax line - that would tell me if there was a bad crimp or connection somewhere - but I'm done with crawling around in a hot attic for awhile.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 2, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

I literally just sprinted out of a bar to avoid a girl who was trying to take me home.

What did she drive?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What did she drive?

Subaru Outback / Forester? :v:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What did she drive?

Gonna go ahead and guess that she didn't drive due to mutiple DUIs. That's the impression I was getting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

In other interesting hill climb news, and much closer for the Texas people:

Dammit, times like this I wish I had something raceable.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sigma X posted:

After 13 weeks of waiting my car FINALLY... did not arrive. I went to the dealership today, 5 weeks after the quoted latest delivery date, and told them to gently caress off. Couldn't get my deposit back because their finance people were out (supposedly) but it'll be done on Monday. Went 8 minutes north to another Ford dealership and bought a 2015 Fiesta ST in Performance Blue with the "factory loaded" spec for the same price, after rebates and haggling, that I had agreed to buy the custom-specc'd car for. It's being trailered in from 4 hours away on Monday morning.

Tell me about it. Try setting up flying and driving a vehicle back. I make flight arrangements, and find out that due to dumbass emissions laws, I may not be able to register my vehicle in my state. Two hours of phone calls and an email to the DEP, and a 2 day wait to hear that yep, I can register it. Game on!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

Gonna go ahead and guess that she didn't drive due to mutiple DUIs. That's the impression I was getting.

Sounds more like she was trying to get you to take her home. :smug:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SFH1989 posted:

Then we went and picked up my friend's new car.

And of course :britain:

It actually runs but it's not quite ready for the street.

Looks just like mine, down to the paint color (before I repainted mine). What year is it?

I got the carbs sorta tuned today and took it for a trip around the block :getin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Damnit. I started installing LED retrofits in the kitchen ceiling a couple of years ago, as the CFLs burned out - six 6 inch cans.

The lights I went with were $25 at the time. They're now $40 - when I can find them (I'm thinking they may be discontinued, I can only find them at one Home Depot now), and the mounting on them leaves a lot to be desired. They're Commercial Electric, Home Depot's home brand. There's 3 of the CE LEDs, 2 CFLs, and I just tried a $15 EcoSmart retrofit. The EcoSmart went in super easy (far easier than the Commercial Electrics); I'm tempted to just go ahead and replace the other five with them. Color temp is slightly different, but not noticeable unless you look right at it (and it's blindingly bright to look at).

5 x $15 = $75, some swearing while removing the Commercial Electric pucks, and about 30 seconds to install the new EcoSmarts. The hardest part is unbolting the socket from the can and screwing the bulb into it - then the entire thing just slides into the can, and locks in via 3 strong friction clips.

2 x $40 = $80 (I'd need a third too, since I have an EcoSmart in the mix now, but I can at least return it if I need to), and a lot of swearing trying to get them to lock into the cans - they also have 3 friction clips, but you have to turn them, then twist the retrofit into the can and hope you don't break the plastic tabs that keep the clips from going too far.

I hate trying to make everything match. :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 2, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's summer shutdown at work so I'm in on mechanical projects. What I did yesterday: drove a hi-bay crane :black101: What I did today: washed 19 years of accumulated grease off parts and made dirty jokes with my Japanese contractor through a cute translator.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

goatse guy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkyuq-m-aGs

I'm going to hazard a guess and say she drives a PT cruiser.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BloodBag posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess and say she drives a PT cruiser.

The correct drunk driving answer is C3.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Sigma X posted:

Pretty much. The Hyundai we bought was easy for the purchase, but what came next was a disaster. Parent's just bought a new forester and the experience wasn't bad, but it did take them 7 months for the car to actually come in the dealer after they ordered it.

Only new car that was pretty simple was my parents civic a couple years ago. Shopped around for a week or two, walked in on a Saturday and drove off the lot without even test driving one (although they did own a previous year civic that was written off, so they kinda had an idea of how it'll be)

Watched Inside Out last night, the family car in the movie is an old subaru forester, like the one I just bought :3:

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Looks just like mine, down to the paint color (before I repainted mine). What year is it?

I got the carbs sorta tuned today and took it for a trip around the block :getin:

It's a '73. He told me it runs well but it needs stuff like the seat bolted in, a new seatbelt, and some of the lights fixed. I'm 6'0" and ~250lbs, I will drive it.

This is his second Midget. Bought the first one last summer and as he took it apart he found more and more rust. This new one is solid.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bajaha posted:

Pretty much. The Hyundai we bought was easy for the purchase, but what came next was a disaster. Parent's just bought a new forester and the experience wasn't bad, but it did take them 7 months for the car to actually come in the dealer after they ordered it.

Only new car that was pretty simple was my parents civic a couple years ago. Shopped around for a week or two, walked in on a Saturday and drove off the lot without even test driving one (although they did own a previous year civic that was written off, so they kinda had an idea of how it'll be)

Watched Inside Out last night, the family car in the movie is an old subaru forester, like the one I just bought :3:

Buying the Velostar was on you, dude.

Buying the Mazda2 took less than a week, sent an email to the dealer asking the OTD price, got the bank lined up, and drove up there. The Miata is just taking time, paying MSRP, but whatevs.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Same. The last 3 cars have been a matter of searching online for candidate vehicles (which is fun), figuring out what my buy price is (which is fun), figuring out which one I'm going after first (which is fun), and hitting the dealerships. I cut through most of the BS because I'm coming in for a specific vehicle, with a specific price in mind. They get 60 minutes max, if we don't get to my price, I'm off to the next dealership. If I manage to exhaust all of the dealerships without a car, I wait and eventually one or all will come back at my price. I haven't had this fail me yet, and I'm a fickle slut when it comes to car ownership.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Both times I've bought a car it was painless. From my experience working in a dealer it's really only a bad time if you come in with unrealistic expectations or you go to a place that doesn't give a poo poo about anything other than how quick they can churn you through the machine to get the next person in

IMO the hard part is finding what you want that fits all the criteria you have when looking

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

You guys and your new cars :rolleyes:

Nodoze posted:

IMO the hard part is finding what you want that fits all the criteria you have when looking at a price you're willing to pay.
This is my problem when shopping for anything

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

NitroSpazzz posted:

You guys and your new cars :rolleyes:

Yep. The worst is when you find price/condition/miles in the color you want only then to look at the carfax :negative:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Motronic posted:

I just watched the first two episodes and I think I'm gonna like this.

Other than the foley dude using air cooled 911 sounds for the 944 :spergin:

Well they had to CGI out all of Georgia State University's skyline anyway so :shobon:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Raluek posted:

I'm not sure there's much info here about that kind of power. You can do about 500WHP with a cam and heads and a tune on an LS3, but to get a number that starts with a 6 I think you're looking at a turbo. Could do a cheap denmah build? Look up his threads on ls1tech, or just watch his youtube channel until suitably inspired.

You can do a lot more than that for sure. One of my mates in his 350z has a ls3 with a relatively mild cam and valves and makes 550 at the fly. Ideally I'd buy one of those lsx crates but $$$. I don't want to go fi just as prices/complexion rockets and reliability plummets. The question is just what's the most cost effective way to hit 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is everyone's problem when shopping for cars, and I spend a lot of time coaching customers to lower their expectations, because price is the biggest sticking point in any car deal and the reason why car buying is such a hassle

• Locked thread