Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Coworker's 2010 Nissan Altima SR V6 apparently needs a head gasket. It's got 46k miles and the shop is quoting him $4k. I've never had a head gasket done but that seems pretty high. It's also just a few months out of warranty... I suppose there's no way to piss and moan to the dealer and get them to cover it? Pretty hosed up to need a head gasket at 46000 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Backov posted:

Tell us about how you don't even OWN a TV, man.

God that bugs me. My wife's best friend was going through a bad divorce last year and lived with us for a couple months. She made sure that we knew that she did not have a TV, nor did she watch TV.

She absolutely watched the gently caress out of Netflix on her ipad, though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Though I don't drink nearly as much as I used too, I have noticed my bank account has really jumped up at least 150-200 bucks a month. Its amazing what you save when your not out dropping 20-30 bucks when your out drinking.

meatpimp posted:

God that bugs me. My wife's best friend was going through a bad divorce last year and lived with us for a couple months. She made sure that we knew that she did not have a TV, nor did she watch TV.

She absolutely watched the gently caress out of Netflix on her ipad, though.

How is watching netflix any different than a TV?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Though I don't drink nearly as much as I used too, I have noticed my bank account has really jumped up at least 150-200 bucks a month. Its amazing what you save when your not out dropping 20-30 bucks when your out drinking.

How is watching netflix any different than a TV?

I don't even know what they're all trying to say. I didn't own a TV for several years before online streaming services got popular. Apparently now it's a hipster "thing", if you don't watch TV or own a TV, you're cool? I dunno.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Backov posted:

Tell us about how you don't even OWN a TV, man.

:smugjones:

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I couldn't join the conversation.

I don't drink or smoke because I generally have poor health and dislike the feeling of intoxication. Doesn't mean I'm a prude or backwards.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The Locator posted:

That's me! For whatever reason I never saw the attraction, so never get started on either, and I'm thankful for that.
Same.

I don't care if others do it (well, I do, if nothing else the smell is disgusting) but I have no desire to smoke/drink/vape/whatever myself.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I find all the people in the thread with major alcohol problems and who're obviously psychologically dependent on smoking up to be more concerning than the people who don't drink/smoke/bang underage hookers. But then again I don't smoke and drink primarily in moderation, and I hold down a job a requirement of which is "don't use drugs", so I guess I'm one of those wierdo squares.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yea I cut back to Friday and sometimes Saturday for drinking and its awesome to have more money to spend on my trucks/mowers/mopeds, etc.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have exposed myself to enough carcinogens without taking up smoking.

Used to drink a lot but forgot how to, so usually just a couple beers with friends on friday nights.

Drugs never really interested me at all, adrenaline is my thing. IMO almost all drugs should be legal though, so have fun guys, I don't care if you smoke like a willie nelson concert.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Drugs never really interested me at all, adrenaline is my thing. IMO almost all drugs should be legal though, so have fun guys, I don't care if you smoke like a willie nelson concert.

Pretty much this. I don't care if you do it, smoke it, drink it. It just ain't my thing.

Not to mention most of my jobs require a security clearance, and most of them involve monthly random testing.

I'm more worried about accidentally maxx'ing my radiation exposure for the year than whether I'll piss hot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I'm more worried about accidentally maxx'ing my radiation exposure for the year than whether I'll piss hot.

:stare:

What the hell do you do for a living?

I used to be a huge pot head in my 20's. Seemed like I was stoned almost every day, I look back on it now and it was stupid and held me back from accomplishing anything early in life. I had fun though so I guess that's the trade off. These days I only smoke at night to watch a movie/TV and veg then go to sleep. I also love my Bulleit whiskey from time to time but I don't get drunk because I hate it. I get why people don't like being drunk and/or stoned, it's a personal preference thing, and if people give you poo poo about it they're idiots.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

:stare:

What the hell do you do for a living?

Do for school. My undergrad thesis is on transitional fuels research for mixed fuel thorium reactors. My adviser is pushing me to move to Computational Physics, however :(

Its really not a big risk, and I don't get enough exposure to actually be worried.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 31, 2015

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Gonna be hot and humid this week in the north east, my one consolation is that the front quarter windows in the Bronco funnel air directly to my balls if opened the correct way. That's good enough for me. OBS Ford supremacy.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea Im thinking about using the 86 GMC this week for the vent window ball-cooling feature.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Do for school. My undergrad thesis is on transitional fuels research for mixed fuel thorium reactors. My adviser is pushing me to move to Computational Physics, however :(

HPC is super boring though, hope you like tweaking the same set of loving PDEs for your entire career! If you want something more interesting you can work on the operating systems or programming models, but the problem is all the application programmers have their 20 year old FORTRAN+C MPI codes that they'll never ever re-write so you have to support legacy bullshit forever.

I used to do HPC work, you may notice I wasn't a fan.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

kastein posted:

I have exposed myself to enough carcinogens without taking up smoking.

Used to drink a lot but forgot how to, so usually just a couple beers with friends on friday nights.

This is pretty much my view sans smoking which I still have to quit.

I rarely have more than two beers to drink in a night and the odd time I do I usually regret it since nothing interesting happens at all.

Weed gives me nausea. And generally I don't feel compelled to get hosed up beyond a couple of beers. I really don't hold it against anybody who wants to though. I just wish the guy in the unit next to me would smoke outside when he feels compelled to smoke a whole bowl, you can smell that poo poo half way down the hallway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

I used to do HPC work, you may notice I wasn't a fan.

I did consulting for HPC infrastructure for 5 years, so its not 'boring' to me, but I was trying to get away from the dedicated IT stuff with the physics degree....

I mean, I'm doing Development Operations stuff right now to pay the bills.

1500quidporsche posted:

This is pretty much my view sans smoking which I still have to quit.

I rarely have more than two beers to drink in a night and the odd time I do I usually regret it since nothing interesting happens at all.

Weed gives me nausea. And generally I don't feel compelled to get hosed up beyond a couple of beers. I really don't hold it against anybody who wants to though. I just wish the guy in the unit next to me would smoke outside when he feels compelled to smoke a whole bowl, you can smell that poo poo half way down the hallway.

I really really REALLy hate the feeling of being inebriated. It bothers me so much, because I love being rational and being able to figure things out and beer gets in the way.

It mentally hurts. Like, the one time I got really drunk, it felt like I woke up from a nightmare where every straining though escaped from me as soon as I tried to parse it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 31, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Weed gives me nausea.

That's weird, it suppresses nausea in 99.9% of people, you're really in the minority on that one :v:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
put in a bid on a pickup. hope he takes it..

i like pickup trucks, and my wife wants to be the only doctor driving to work in one

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

iwentdoodie posted:

I can't wait until mine has a god drat motor back in it.

Stupid POs.

And some idiot just t boned him in his work parking lot... So much for it being mint.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Noise Complaint posted:

Gonna be hot and humid this week in the north east, my one consolation is that the front quarter windows in the Bronco funnel air directly to my balls if opened the correct way. That's good enough for me. OBS Ford supremacy.

Yesss, love driving the F150 in shorts with the quarter windows turned out all the way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oh gently caress yes!

As you may have guessed, the lincoln mark iv doesn't have a very large DIY community....or any at all, really. it also doesn't have any parts support whatsoever.

So with a broken part on a very rare option on a car with no documentation out there, i thought i was hosed. digging down to the deepest depths of the internet, i think i've finally found the part.

The sunroof was made by golde, who also made the sunroof for a bunch of other cars, including the porsche 356. A car people actually do bother fixing, and therefore bother making new parts for.

http://www.stoddard.com/356/roofs-t...upe-models.html

it's also made extra long to cut down to the size in whatever car uses the same part.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
I got stung in the face by a bee on my bike ride to school.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Posting in the August thread because it's STILL AUGUST, ADIABATIC.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If fjelltorsk somehow dies today he's gonna feel soooooooooooooooo dumb.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

LloydDobler posted:

If fjelltorsk somehow dies today he's gonna feel soooooooooooooooo dumb.

would be a shame, ill try to stay safe.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Molson Ice is a reasonably tasting cheap beer.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

:toxx:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The owner of the company thought it would be a good idea to install all the patch panels and switches in all 4 racks BEFORE we had to hump them up 4 flights of stairs. I dry heaved a bunch and now I have a migraine. Oh well, time for Guiness and cheeseburgers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Could be worse. Could be Rolling Rock.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The owner of the company thought it would be a good idea to install all the patch panels and switches in all 4 racks BEFORE we had to hump them up 4 flights of stairs. I dry heaved a bunch and now I have a migraine. Oh well, time for Guiness and cheeseburgers.

There's so much irony in this statement that it's cured my anemia!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Aren't you reasonably young? Maybe its time to look at a no weed/easy on the drinking diet and some proper exercise.

I mean, I am fat, but I can't remember the last time I dry heaved while doing moderate physical activity.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

fjelltorsk posted:

When i came here yesterday to tell you the good news i was afraid to interrupt dickchat. so i waited and got drunk instead.

yesterday, august 28th at 1335 hours, the year of our lord 2015 i was declared cancer free. there is no evidence of mutation anywhere in my body. i am done....
76 doses of chemo, 6 surgeries and 184 radiation treatments is behind me...

(not really behind me, i am starting a 12 week aggressive chemo course to make sure in 4 weeks)

i hosed cancer in the rear end, and it gave in before me..

Way late, but there isn't a gently caress Yeah! big enough. Too many people not making it through lately.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Moderate? They were easily 500+ lbs each and took 4 of us to carry. Not denying that I am fat as poo poo and outta shape tho. Although I have dropped 30 lbs sonce last year. My boss just called me a pussy cuz I passed on the J he rolled. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I mean, I am fat, but I can't remember the last time I dry heaved while doing moderate physical activity.

Things I wish I could say.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

gently caress you guys. Now I am all self conscious and ordered a salad for dinner at the bar.

Edit: At least I'll have an extra $250 at the end of the month from not blazing to buy car parts and pay bills. :)

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 31, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I mean, were the rest of your co workers dry heaving? That's a good indicator of where you stand.

Rhyno posted:

I stay pretty active. I am not super fat, but I am up compared to what I used to weigh a couple years ago.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I have currently been without power for two days. And because I live out in the sticks this also means no heat and no water either. Thanks a lot freak wind storms!

Anybody know what it would take to install a manual transfer box? I already have the 8.5kW generator.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 31, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The easier way? Drop your main breaker along with all the breakers that you don't want to run and then back feed into the panel.

The correct and don't burn your house down way? Maybe 750ish with parts and labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rhyno posted:

The scale says I haven't lost any weight but my evening bike rides have definitely been doing good things for my endurance, even if its just 5-8 mile rides.

• Locked thread