Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Anphear posted:

Finally got around to getting my Full class 5 heavy truck license today (Unrestricted CDL class A). Its going to be real useful at my job in a Microbiology lab at a University. Thanks Army for paying for it.

You'll be the guy in the Ebola/zombie movie driving the 5-tonne through the zombie horde to save the love interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's summer shutdown at work so I'm in on mechanical projects. What I did yesterday: drove a hi-bay crane :black101: What I did today: washed 19 years of accumulated grease off parts and made dirty jokes with my Japanese contractor through a cute translator.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Couldn't find idiocracy on any of the services I usually use so I waited 3 days for a disc to turn up in the post. First world problems.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

E: I wish I could take all of you nice single ladies and dudes out on a date. I'm a nice guy and you all deserve me for a night.

Just how astonishing is your wang then?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

Well, the average is 3" so I'm doing just fine.

I call myself Mr. 133% :smug:

:chanpop: Wish I was single :quagmire:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Had a shoplifter tonight. He stole a $3 comic book off the rack and dashed out the door.

Too bad he set his refillable theater popcorn bucket down on the counter before he ran for it. These buckets cost like $25 and then you get a full bucket of popcorn for $4 every time you bring it. He sent his friend back in looking for it about a half hour later but I put it in the break room. A good wash and then I will gorge myself on popcorn daily.

A bucket of popcorn for $4 still sounds like a ripoff.

Also, buy the death scooter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

fjelltorsk posted:

i cant deal with this poo poo.

No you can't, and you aren't expected to. Get help, because you've come so far and done so much. You got help for the cancer and kicked it's rear end, get help for this, it's just as real.

You know how your wife would feel if something happened and she found out you decided not to trouble her.

Bajaha posted:

Insanity mode is really rubbing off on ya, huh?

:boom:

Rhyno posted:

Real talk I've had this pain in my pelvis for like 5 days and today it was getting pretty bad. It wasn't surface pain, it felt slightly below the skin. I was just taking a piss and noticed a red splotchy colored part of my skin and when I prodded it the fucker exploded. Looks like it was an infected ingrown hair or something.

There's a gross poo poo thread in pyf, they'd love you.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Some words of advice I have started following lately:

Stop worrying about other people. Unless they directly pay your bills or feed, shelter or clothe you, don't worry about their bullshit.

Facebook makes every one look better than they really are.

Enjoy what you like. gently caress other people who think your hobby or what you like is stupid.

Don't take life to seriously, its not like your getting out alive.

This is all amazing advice and no one should dismiss it as easy trite sayings; in order:

I cut people out of my life if they're hassle with zero return, meaning I get nothing out of the relationship whatsoever. Sounds harsh? No, I'm not responsible for them, I don't need to help them with their neighbours, colleagues, family etc, their problems are not mine. I have good friends who I'd go to the end of the earth for, I'm always there to listen to them and help out. Parasites though, no.

I think I check Facebook once or twice a month, it's never the whole story you're right.

Recently found out my bosses boss is a lego nerd too, yay!

Yup, no scoreboard, no second chances, no afterlife. One life, live it don't spend it fixing Landrovers :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Years ago jalopniks nice price or crack pipe had a series landrover with Citroen hydropneumatic suspension swapped in. You should get something like that.

Adiabatic posted:

Yessssss y'all are both great and more of you need to be in RVA.

What's RVA? Really violent autocross? :black101:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 6, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

88h88 posted:

Your heart is part cow now?

I know a guy that had a disc replaced, fascinating stuff.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I had a big gently caress my builder post all ready and my lovely phone connection lost it. Short version: builder does amazing work very slowly, plays at dolls houses rather than project manager. We're getting evicted (by the mother in law, long story but she's had tenants waiting since the original June deadline) and the only leverage we have is dropping out, which fucks us harder.

Also, tracs light on the e46, wife stressed, house full of boxes, started work at 6, hate life.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

angryhampster posted:

My sister got an Uber ride in DC from a guy with Tesla recently. Something like that would be ideal as long as there's a supercharger nearby.

Yes a $100,000 car would be ideal to earn minimum wage or less with.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well telling the builder we were getting evicted seems to have lit a fire under his arse, just need to keep it stoked and on his case. Looks like my first week of holiday will be wasted but I can't rearrange it so poo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

Saw a brand-new Challenger R/T with a loving tow bar. It was tiny, but still, I salute him who dares to tow with a V8 Challenger.

My 2I diesel E46 is rated for 1800kg here in the UK. I'd be happy towing up to maybe 1400kg depending on the roads. Y'all gotta stop thinking you need a supertanker to tow.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I keep it under 60 when towing, that's the law here and you lose a poo poo-ton of momentum dropping 10mph. 1000 miles would take me out of Britain and across Europe though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

freelop posted:

Went to the Gaydon junkyard today.
So many dead jags and range rovers.

drat, so many donor parts.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Just found out the College I want to go to cuts off registration payment today at 5pm. Even though it says you can pay until 11:59PM, they have a bulletin up saying they'll be turning off online payment at 5pm.

What the gently caress guys, some of us have jobs where we have to work beyond 5 and don't have access to a computer.

Either you posted this before work and you should have paid instead of complaining on the internet, or you're phone posting in which case you have an internet connection and a browser and you should pay now instead of complaining. Yes it's dumb and sucks but you obviously have a way around it.

Rhyno posted:

I said no.

Why?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just threw away parts for a car I scrapped ten years ago. Fighting the urge to go shamefully take them back out of the bin.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Ah yes, my mistake, I should have realized that 7pm is indeed an earlier time than 5pm.

Eh, it's whatever, turns out the only penalty is having to reregister and a $50 late fee. Classes are back on! :toot:

Was it past 5 when you posted that? Sorry, no idea what time zone you were in. Yes that's bullshit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I made blueberry muffins with blueberries fresh out of the garden, whoops, turns out the kids think they're too tart and my wife doesn't like blueberries so I guess I get to eat a dozen muffins all to myself.

That's what's so loving good about it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nowt foolish about these muffins honey.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Our wedding and honeymoon together with spending money was about 6-7k. The rings (300 total) honeymoon and spending money was out of our savings, the wedding was 250 for the church, homemade dresses, reception with food for 50 paid for by brides parents.

One of our friends paid 10k for the ring alone because he felt he had to live up to her parents expectations. At that point he was earning minimum wage :smith: and I think they're still in debt now, 8 or so years later.

That poo poo must put a strain on a relationship.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

I'm getting to that point where I'm starting to think about all of that with my girlfriend. She said once that if we got to that point she'd like a ring pop. I don't know poo poo about rings so I'd at least consider it.

Get measured up, find something simple you like the look of then buy it online.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Who cares. We're all nihlistic, narcissistic retards.

Speak for yourself.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Worry about your slice of the world. Once you have that slice fixed, then worry about the rest. If you can't, leave it to people that can.

An admirable attitude but one that leaves the world in the hands of those better motivated. I'll leave that to people's opinions at to whether that's shown to be a good thing or not.

E: I'm doing exactly as you say, but it won't fix the world, I'm under no illusions in that respect.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Holy poo poo the house might be ours by the end of the week that's a surprise. :stare:

Just waiting for documents to move around and one final inspection then I can go do a buy off inspection.

E:trunk monkey 2, now wirelessly connected.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 17, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hey if the bare minimum wasn't enough it wouldn't be the bare minimum :colbert:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I cleared my student loans a few months ago, that felt great. I have enough in my savings currently to buy a nice new car outright, but it's actually all house deposit money so I'll have no money and owe 145k shortly.

The house is worth it though, it'll be a great place to bring the kids up, I'll spend an hour a day less commuting.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do it. I dumped mine on Amazon's trade-in and getting rid of all of that poo poo feels good even if they're giving you pocket change at best for each one.

How easy is this? I could get rid of all my cds and be a happier man

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ozmiander posted:

Stripping down to the frame = Automotive Insanity

Replacing all the bolts for safe keeping/Reassembly? Automotive Sanity.

I like you.

And I can't stop playing fallout shelter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

3800s in ALL THE THINGS.

I love that engine for some retard reason, I don't know why.

You know all the bus engine problems you're having?...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well the weekend is over, am I in my new house?

No. Builder has apparently done all the paperwork required of him so we're waiting for the warranty certificate. The house looks fantastic but it's
Still
Not
loving
OURS.

So everything has to happen this coming week, because I'm back to work on the 31st and my son has to be resident in that area to go to school the following week. All the paperwork and solicitors bullshit and bank bullshit etc.

Good thing the loving builder isn't going on loving holiday later this loving week then.

I could legit throttle the man.

E: you can buy reverse bulbs with beepers built in, easy installation compared to wiring in a special box

The house is full of boxes and everyone is stressed and I can't loving deal with it anymore

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 23, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I am going to raise so much poo poo on the phone today, as soon as the lazy bastards start work :argh: Why does no-one else start work at a reasonable 7am-ish hour like I'm used to?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

corn in the fridge posted:

good morning everyone i hope you all enjoyed your weekends

No I loving didn't.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm going to go clean the house and do a proper snagging inspection today, I'll also see if the builder will let me start putting curtains and blinds up. He sounded pretty pissed at me yesterday, might have something to do with my mortgage broker, my solicitor, his solicitor and his agent ask harassing him to get documents moved. I did say I'll raise hell on the phones. I have no sympathy for the fucker, booking another holiday when this poo poo isn't all sorted and he knew we were facing eviction.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Paperwork is moving, slowly, but it's moving. Solicitors have penciled contacts in for Friday. making GBS threads hell I hope nothing goes wrong, as solicitors don't work Saturdays (and seem to take 3 hour lunches :argh: ) that leaves us no leeway.

Also snagging: 1 missing light bulb, 1 broken fridge drawer, a couple of scrapes in the paint, some vapor barrier in the door canopy needed trimming. That was it, literally. No leaks, incorrect fittings, missing screws, lovely woodwork etc, actually amazing. I had my father in law come check I hadn't missed anything just in case the optimism and rose tinted goggles were getting in the way.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

My stock price is pretty low right now if anyone is looking to invest. HMU.

What does 120 Cr Kuna get me?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm going to guess he won't.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I know no-one gives a poo poo but me but:
It's all now in the hands of the gods. Or rather, in the hands of the building warranty people to issue the one certificate that's holding up me getting into my new home before I get evicted, the same people who assured everyone their poo poo would be done weeks ago. Apparently it takes 48 hours to populate an electronic form and email it out, not the 2 minutes you'd think. We're signing paperwork in readiness tomorrow, looks like I'll need to hire a van big enough for all our poo poo in one go, because it looks like I'll be filling it then parking it outside the new house and sleeping in the loving cab to make sure it doesn't get robbed if that form doesn't get in in time.
Solicitors don't work weekends, Monday's a bank holiday, I'm working Monday to Friday anyway so I'm hosed no matter what unless that one single piece of magical paperwork loving turns up.
No loving idea where the wife and kids will be sleeping come the weekend either.

There isn't a :smithicide: big enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

Do you have anything in any of the contracts you've signed regarding expected delivery dates? It won't help with the "homeless for a day" situation, but if you do, you can at least get after them for breach of contract.

I'm in the UK, he's a small independent builder. There isn't really a formal contract until the one about handing money over. As I'm buying a house he chose to build rather than commissioned him to build a house I don't have anything. We were verbally promised end of June which slipped and slipped. The house is now ready apart from paperwork. We can't pull out because a: we've money in it for fees etc, a couple of grand all in. Not the end of the world but painful to let go of and b: we have to move this week for the reasons above. If we pulled out, found a house we liked and put an offer in today it would be a miracle if it was ours in 8 weeks.

My wife temped for a solicitors once, for about £6~ an hour she performed the searches and filled in paperwork. It took an average of 2 hours to do one house of paperwork. It was then placed in a dated pile. When that date rolled round it was pulled out of the pile and issued. I get angry thinking about it. If they charged the exact same exorbitant bullshit fees and it was all over in a day I'd be happy.

• Locked thread