Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Aww man NEAI didn't even make the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Das Volk posted:

you act like they deserve to.

WHOA. SHOTS FIRED, GUY

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Dagge

:3:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Met a chick off OKCupid and she's such a loving nerd and it's so awesome

I gave her her first ride on a motorcycle yesterday, on the first date. Tonight she's coming over to check out my telescope :smugdog:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Noise Complaint posted:

True story, I used the telescope line on a second date with a nerdy chick from OKCupid once, we wound up killing a bottle of whiskey and looking at the moon, a few years later and we're getting married.

Now I can't stop her from talking me into filling the driveway with half broken trucks. :perfect:

Owns.

I'm still trying to figure out where to set it up. My backyard has way too many trees, but the mount needs power to function. We'd probably just look at the moon and maybe Saturn, so light pollution shouldn't be an issue. Maybe a parking lot close-by and a jumper pack? I wanna drink, so close-by is crucial, but there are a few solid candidates.

I don't think I've put it up here before, so here's my big dicktelescope:

It's an 8" primary Newtonian Orion, with a Celestron CG-5 hypertuned mount. Nerd-boner, engage.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh buddy, we are going to be friends. I was trying to figure out how to lug that fucker to NEAI, but thanks to you I don't have to now.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Wrar posted:

You going to jerk off each other's telescopes?

So hard I'll make him see stars.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

T1g4h posted:

Fuuuck me, i'm jealous. I still want to get a decent telescope with an autotrack mount and T-Rings so I can mount my Canon T2i to one and do some proper astrophotography :flashfap:

Astrophotography is super hard holy poo poo.

I've got a T-ring for my Canon, but achieving a good polar alignment to shoot exposures over more than a second without motion blurring is just insanely difficult for me. I've even got a polar scope inside the loving HYPERTUNED mount and I still suck. Honestly I wouldn't even try DSO's without an autoguider or the patience of a saint, maybe both.

I can also say that making a Bahtinov Mask out of cardboard or something was easily the biggest Eureka moment ever. I don't know how anyone could achieve proper focus without one, Once you have it set you're good for the night and no longer have that variable to gently caress up.

:goonsay:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

T1g4h posted:

Forgive my ignorance, Bahtinov Mask? Whazzat? The only real astrophotog i've done has been in the realm of 30 - 60 second galaxy exposures with the kit lens at ISO 3200 on my manual tripod, so any of the advanced terms are kinda lost on me :v:

It was created in 2008, so its super new, but it's the easiest loving way to achieve focus I've ever seen.

with AP you set the focus to the camera once and never have to touch it again, so it's either perfect or you're gonna get some blurry blob. In my case I suck at everything else so I still get a blurry blob but at least it's perfectly focused.

A Bahtinov Mask is a cover with slits in it that goes over the tube inlet. It diffracts the incoming light in such a way that two diffraction spikes form an x shape, and a third is vertical between them at perfect focus. When improperly focused, the vertical bar will be shifted left or right of the center of the X, and moving the dials will move the vertical diffraction spike.

The Wikipedia page explains it expertly and simply, and has some great visuals.

Also, I'd love to know how your galaxy photos came out!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Andromeda is pretty god damned huge. I'm not sure if an 18-55 would get it well, but a 75-300 should do you well.

Here's a good size-reference comparing it to the moon:

Obviously it's been photoshopped in, but that's about how large it is in the sky compared to Luna The only problem is light absorption, but huge ISO and long exposure will take care of that, as you no doubt know.

Other DSOs, you absolutely need a telescope for. Andromeda just happens to be a special snowflake that wants to come say hi at 200,000 mph.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

T1g4h posted:

Holy poo poo that sounds super useful. I've been doing all my focusing the hard way, looking through the camera viewfinder and just squinting and manually tweaking the focus ring. That mask sounds like it makes things infinitely easier!

So far this is the best I've managed with my gear, but it turned out cool so i'm okay with that. I've dabbled in exposure stacking and getting multiple hours worth of star trails as well, but I need more batteries to properly do that.

Oh also this loving owns and beats the poo poo out of what I've ever done.

Also also, you almost got Andromeda in that shot. It should be slightly left of the upper left corner of your picture!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Word. Most AP nerds can do some serious damage with just a badass mount and a 75-300. The mount is sooooooo much more important than the OTA. https://www.cloudynights.com has the best deals on used mounts. I got a Celestron CG-5 for $450 from there and it's served me incredibly well.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Ozmiander posted:

Funny, because the rest of AI is always making fun of you.

Nah, meatpimp is good people. You're fast becoming an rear end in a top hat, though.

Adiabatic posted:

Met a chick off OKCupid and she's such a loving nerd and it's so awesome

I gave her her first ride on a motorcycle yesterday, on the first date. Tonight she's coming over to check out my telescope :smugdog:

THINGS WENT WELL

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

bandman posted:

So the skies were nice and clear for some really good stargazing? :v:

Real talk, either parking lot lights really gently caress with Saturn, or I mistook it for Arcturus. Probably some of both. She went nuts over the moon though. Humidity here limited us to 200x zoom, but that gave plenty of detail.

She thanked me this morning.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

You don't talk about anything. They make sure you have given back everything and your ties with the company are fully severed. Company credit cards, office keys, etc. They don't actually give a poo poo why.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Legit.

Life owns, y'all.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Nihilism doesn't necessarily mean wanting life to end, it's merely accepting thst nothing matters in the long run so gently caress it

If nothing matters, everything you choose to matter, matters.

Invest in your surroundings, and choose to fight entropy however you see fit. If nothing matters, it doesn't matter that it won't matter in the end, right?

Life owns, get over it. :sun:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

fjelltorsk posted:

Phonepostin from the loony bin. The doctor at the er recommended 72 hours of inpatient treatment while my brain sorta lands. I can leave if i want to. But i have a feeling that some good sleep and what they called an intro to therapy where i have two sessions a day is good for me.

As someone very close to someone who wouldn't go get the exact same help, you're an incredibly strong person and I envy your ability to make hard choices.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Coredump posted:

I'm glad things are working out well for you but life doesn't always work out like that for everyone.

Not with that attitude.

Edit: That was a little blunt of me. I mean to say that what happens to you is much less important than how you deal with what happens to you, but I'm a sucker for brevity so it came out rear end in a top hat-ish. I apologize :shobon:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 6, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Glad you decided to get some help, fjelltorsk. I've been fighting my demons alone for years and it's a battle I've been slowly losing...finally had an intake appointment for counseling last week where they diagnosed me with PTSD/anxiety as well as severe clinical depression, so welp that explains a lot.

It's gonna be a hard road working through everything but it will all be worth it in the end.

Seriously y'all, go get help, talk to someone about your problems and feelings. poo poo is a lifesaver.

Welcome to the current human condition, dillweed :D

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Coredump posted:

Look attitude only gets you so far sometimes. You remind me of my boss who is the eternal optimist and I swear the guy short circuits sometimes when he has to deal with someone who things work out in a bad way. I would like to think that my coping mechanisms are pretty strong but I wouldn't say "life owns, deal with it". Sometimes life does in fact not own.

Why in the world would you not want to be an eternal optimist? You know you get to choose, right?

If life homogeneously owned forever, then the feeling of "own" would be meaningless and saying "life owns" would be meaningless. I'm in no way a stranger to lovely recent circumstance.

Ever think your narrative may be the issue? Your boss sounds like a rad dude. What do you have against him for being an eternal optimist? He's chosen to build, so let him do it.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Just learn how to deal with the lovely parts of life. Yeah, life isn't perfect, get over it. Its learning how to deal with the negative poo poo. Some times you gotta go for a run, some times you buy a Land Rover.

Some words of advice I have started following lately:

Stop worrying about other people. Unless they directly pay your bills or feed, shelter or clothe you, don't worry about their bullshit.

Facebook makes every one look better than they really are.

Enjoy what you like. gently caress other people who think your hobby or what you like is stupid.

Don't take life to seriously, its not like your getting out alive.

This dude has the right idea. Life owns if you want it to own. Life sucks if you want it to suck. Quit pretending to not have a choice in the matter.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Cakefool posted:

This is all amazing advice and no one should dismiss it as easy trite sayings; in order:

I cut people out of my life if they're hassle with zero return, meaning I get nothing out of the relationship whatsoever. Sounds harsh? No, I'm not responsible for them, I don't need to help them with their neighbours, colleagues, family etc, their problems are not mine. I have good friends who I'd go to the end of the earth for, I'm always there to listen to them and help out. Parasites though, no.

I think I check Facebook once or twice a month, it's never the whole story you're right.

Recently found out my bosses boss is a lego nerd too, yay!

Yup, no scoreboard, no second chances, no afterlife. One life, live it don't spend it fixing Landrovers :v:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I use facebook now to organize all my car news feeds. Plus my wife and i use it to communicate with Pusheen stickers. Cutting down on other peoples poo poo is really relaxing.

But seriously, I imagine all of us have life that shits on us every so often. You don't need to have every thing figured out, I look at my grand parents, they still don't have it all figured out - especially after my uncle passed away, they really said that no one ever has it all figured out, but just do one thing at a time.

Raw deals blow. Its figuring out how to deal with a raw deal. fjelltorsk has had some real poo poo happen to him but hes getting it figured out. If you can't do it on your own, get some one to help. If you can't hit the nut hut, a friend, parent, or just come here to spew your poo poo.

Yessssss y'all are both great and more of you need to be in RVA.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

poo poo all I married into was a nice face and some home-built cabinets.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Coredump posted:

Its like telling someone with depression to "just cheer up and stop being sad". Does not work. And to be around someone who is constantly trying to spin poo poo into a good light when things sometimes legit don't have a positive light can be hard to be around.

Edit: Look I respect that for some people life works out pretty good. I'm open to that. But I'm also open that for some people, life works out pretty poo poo. I'm open to it going both ways. Seems eternal optimist can't deal with it going both ways.

I absolutely agree with you, with one caveat: It's not something that happens to you, but is something you decide to let happen. A lot of people aren't even aware of the choice, but it's there. Check out the Hedonic treadmill! It's very relevant to our conversation.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Richmond, VA. We use the acronym so much here I forget most of the US hasn't seen it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Guys, be a scientific optimist: Realize that the world is amazing and nature is awesome, and that with science we can discover truly awesome things.

Agreed, y'all own.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Most entertaining debate I've ever seen

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Cliff notes for non US goons who missed it?

tl;dr Trump, the guy without the political filter, is the most reasonable, charismatic, and put-together of the GOP candidates.

It's loving hilarious. Check out Fox News front page this morning... they're trying to underdog a chick that wasn't even in the main debate last night. Every time they tried to nail Trump to the wall, he turned it on them with verbal diarrhea.

tl:drtl:dr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiwt9RS8DTo

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

NOT LIKE THIS

sorry for vertical video

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sigma X posted:

Sorry for private vertical video?

Ugghhhh this phone I'm old now I guess. Fixed.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Of course he writes entirely in caps.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Deeters posted:

I-95 through Virginia sucks. It was 10 at night, the speed limit is 70, and it was heavy traffic flowing at 60-65. Screw you, Virginians. I'm going back North where everyone is bitter and drives 80 while texting.

ALLLLLWAAAAAYYYYYS take 301 from Richmond to Philly. Nova and DC/Baltimore is a lost hellscape.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Average, happy, also been sick with something but still happy :unsmith:

I think everyone struggles with some form of depression and/or anxiety in the first world. Too little purposeful jobs to make you feel good and all that.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

corn in the fridge posted:

Hmmm this seems to me like a very destructive attitude and i have disagree completely

I have no idea if you're serious or not but I unironically agree.

The world is the world is the world. It's both the worst and best place because it's the only place.

The way we decide to view it is the way it is. Cat, your "utter truth" is yours and yours alone, and is created by your reaction, not by the world itself.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Who cares. We're all nihlistic, narcissistic retards.

Thank you for putting it succinctly.

This right here, fellas, is a great example of not being able to get out of your own head.

"We're all [thing only you are]"

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

88h88 posted:

Which thread was kastein's rant about the Jeep hacking thing?

https://blog.kaspersky.com/blackhat-jeep-cherokee-hack-explained

Talking about this one?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What I was getting at is, worry about yourself. You can't control other peoples lives (unless they are your child and under the age of 18 - and even then that is a battle), but for the most part, just worry about yourself.

And for god's sake, stop using Facebook if you are depressed. Not only people post their best moments in life on there because hey - look at me be jealous - but it also gives you insight on how stupid people are.

I don't know which is worse, that your child can successfully piss in a toilet at age 4, or that you correct the clerk that you only picked up 12 doughnuts and not a "dozen"

this guy gets it.

Worrying about poo poo you can't control is a great way to feel important without actually doing anything, and worrying about poo poo you can't control at a political level constantly is a great way to feel important without actually doing anything, along with a bunch of other crazy assholes.

It's a balancing act between fighting entropy and taking action in the causes you believe in, and being happy. Nowhere do national politics come in aside from voting every four years, unless you're actually willing to take up a cause and grass-roots the gently caress out of something. Even then, you have to pick one thing.

Is it worth your happiness? Will it seriously affect you?

If the answer is yes to both, do it. If not, gently caress it. People will sometimes berate you for not triumphing their particular cause, but you'll be a lot happier.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

So what's the story with it? It's been a while since there's been a mass shaming.

This too is relevant to my interests.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm sitting here at work and the wife is working on cabinets all day. I have the best wife :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You seriously need to get more cynical because bluntly put, what I described is exactly how the world works. You are a nothing, we all are nothings, the world does not give a poo poo about you or problems, evil fat fucks think of new and exciting ways for the young men to die, Huxley's Brave New World AND Orwell's 1984 have come true, politicans and corporations rule your life like the Kings and slavemasters of old... and you can do absolutly nothing about it.

That is the bitter, cruel and harsh truth of the world Mankind has created.

Now if you want my "Yours and Yours alone" opinion, I view that there are escapes that seem obvious but you dont realize how difficult they are until you try them. Mine is "Don't be an rear end in a top hat". The world severely tries my patience and temper even on the best of days to say the least.

Don't think I've ever been told to be more cynical. Therapy?

• Locked thread