Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just Chris Duplessis so far :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

I literally just sprinted out of a bar to avoid a girl who was trying to take me home.

What did she drive?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You do all GM TBI stuff or are there kits for the 4Runner intake?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Yesss

At this rate we're going to have to do a hardcover AI writing anthology book.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

My job does random drug tests but in over 7 years of working here I've never been called.

The company nurse told me my blood is 96% nitromethane. I asked her what she thought the AKI was.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Getting ready to hand in my two weeks notice. Wish me luck.

Hope you do a breakdance on their desk.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Shampoo posted:

I have no idea what to say in the exit interview. Probably not a drat thing, certainly not what I really think.

Never ever ever ever ever say anything in an exit interview.

Nothing you say can help you, you're already gone.

Nothing you say can change things for other people, why would they do extra work because of what some quitter said?

Nobody will ever read the exit interview except to figure out whether they should hate you for dishing on them (or describing a situation that they feel may somehow dish on them).

At best, HR will use your exit interview along with others in aggregate as ammunition against politically weak rivals or reports. When this happens, this does not benefit your middle managers or immediate supervisor, and will never benefit you.

If for whatever reason you ever re-apply, your exit interview is probably gonna be part of the HR records and someone will want to check. I wouldn't hire some guy who sour-grapes'd his way through an exit interview for 15 minutes and dished on his manager for dumb bullshit.

I usually just politely decline the exit interview and explain my rationale; I had one early in my career where I said absolutely nothing but my immediate boss got fired shortly afterward & was convinced that I had said something in the interview about him.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 4, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Usually what I say is "I would prefer not to give an exit interview as I am busy with other tasks for handing off my responsibilities to other team members."

Then they go "OK."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I want pictures.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You should probably find a doctor and get a UOA done, 14.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I liked the blog a lot, dude. Almost every entry made me laugh and I shared a few with the normals in my life who didn't find them as amusing as I did. And they call the VW bus a mass-market car.

Good work all around. Glad you are not dead.

Best of luck with your emissions system, it seems sort of insane that any state would e-test an air cooled VW. Time for an EJ22 swap?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
https://stupidbus.wordpress.com/

It'll change your life.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Well, it has a jamming component, right?

I would imagine if you had a radio scanner you could probably triangulate it and woohoo free stuff.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I'm having bad, bad thoughts about buying an RX-8, guys. Help.

Go do it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's called the ranch because that's where the horses are, duh.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Holy poo poo did you get to meet Jun Imai?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Martin Roofer
I just wanted to let you know I saw this the first time you posted it, and I appreciate it. :golfclap:

Now is the time to make up a nearly-identical brochure but preaching the church of V8 and cramming them in his mailbox every time he leaves the office.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So it looks like we might have to put down my best friend tonight. Rushed home to go to my parents' house so I can go to the vet with them in 30 minutes. I am ready bawling my eyes out. Expect beligerant drunk posts from me tonight.

I'm sorry dude :( They leave us so early.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Comrade Flynn posted:

Just got approached by the Make A Wish Foundation about giving a kid with bone marrow cancer a ride through the city in his dream car. Oddly, that's the same cancer my mom died from 17 years ago.

Do it!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Comrade Flynn posted:

(he loves samoyeds and Lamborghinis apparently).

Kid's got some taste. Hopefully he gets better so we can buy him an account when he turns 18.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Cross posting from the 'POS because I know AI has a lot of tech jockeys

You're not on book time when you're fixing a laptop dude.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Except when there is a sensor in the ground and if you stop too far back the light never changes. Stopping at the stop line seems to be a major challenge for people leaving my part of town and I have had to get out of my car and tell people to pull up after getting skipped in a cycle.

We have the opposite deal here. People will stop so far into the intersection they're in the crosswalk, and the sensor won't trip.

I'm also not sure why there are so many people lately who are leaving 2-3 car lengths of space in front of them when they stop behind another car at the light. How hard do they think they're going to get rear-ended? Maybe the extra car length gives them a little bit of time to put the phone down and start accelerating after discovering it's green before they get honked at.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sinestro posted:

That implies that any goons have a partner to cheat on in the first place, so...

Yeah but maybe it gives them that extra edge they need to get into a smaller pool of potential candidates.

"Yes, I have wife. She is not, uh, sexual enough."
"I know what you mean, my husband doesn't do anything except play videogames and buy parts for his Suba-"
"HE HAVE SUBARU? TELL MORE ABOUT HEAD GASKET COMPOSITION."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Rivals did better than I thought they would in snow.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

angryhampster posted:

Welp guys we're doomed...I've procreated.

Meet James Henry. He and his mom are doing great. He enjoys cuddling and falling asleep to car videos on Youtube.

Also goddamn the labor and birthing process is brutal and violent.

Sweet free hat, dude.

Congrats.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Happy birthday MrChips!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

NEAI got to this point much later than I expected based on last night's Snaps.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hi, I'm Powershift, I do incredibly dumb poo poo for fun and get off scot free, but then greviously injure myself working on a child's bicycle.

Sweet bike though. Wish I had one that cool when I was a kid.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's actually not that hard to do your own investment casting for a very small number of simple parts with a hobbyist-grade 3D printer. You have to match the filament to what you're casting it in, so you can remove the filament from the poured metal and don't instantly melt the plastic.

Slung Blade or iForge would probably be able to comment on it much more intelligently than I could.

Of course, you probably have a poo poo ton of concerns about metallurgy. You're definitely not cranking out like forged items or anything I would put suspension loads on. But poo poo like radio trims or headlight bezels? Fill your boots.

I know there are a bunch of guys on GRM who make their own suspension bushings that way with liquid high-durometer urethane.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 26, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
In my experience it's not the initial damage you should be worried about with a rebuilt title; it's the bodyshop's dog fuckery with the car after the fact.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's even if they get everything right.

On my last rebuilt-title car, I had these problems:
  • Bumper flaking paint because they didn't mix the flex agent properly
  • Misaligned headlight on drivers' side
  • Chunk of random steel left inside the engine bay from banging out the rad support
  • Multiple confusing rust issues on parts of the car that aren't known for rusting
  • A bent control arm producing excessive negative caster
  • Cracked OEM rim because the one that hit the curb just got banged out straight and put back on the car with a poo poo ton of balancing weights
  • Leaks from the door being out of alignment with the door gasket because nobody spent five seconds to adjust the replacement hinges
  • No panel gap in the front lined up properly
  • Overspray
  • Underspray
  • Orange peel
  • Broken airbag connector on drivers' seat; taking a hard right would sometimes cause the connector to unplug. Ziptied tight because I didn't trust myself to re-crimp something like that.
  • Replacement radiator after plastic endtank mounting pins sheared loose of out-of-square rad support
  • Bumper support crooked because the underlying frame horns weren't fixed properly on the frame machine, necessitating another complete teardown and another visit to the frame machine by a competent bodyshop if it was ever going to get fixed
  • Bumper cover over the support constantly sagged as a result of being distorted, eventually breaking a clip
  • At least a $7k loss when it came time to get rid of it three years later, after spending several months trying to sell it

Suffice it to say, unless it's under two grand, I'm not doing it again.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 27, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

bennyfactor posted:

Does he crash into a bush after this GIF cuts off? WITNESS
Nah, he pulls away at the last second. The mobility scooter as Ace and Ken hacked it up has no throttle control, just a house lightswitch for on/off.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I swear this Miata is trying to kill me like the last one.

This summer I've already replaced shocks, shock mounts, lower ball joints, the soft top, miscellaneous bits and bobs, pads, rotors and soon a radiator.

It wants a new front hub as evidenced by the visible wobble that I saw when I was changing the right front brake pad and rotor and the annoying wheel-speed thumping I notice sometimes. So I went on RockAuto, where they have a closeout on SKF front hub and wheel bearing combos at $26. Kick rear end! But they only have one left. :(

So now I'm buying Timkens for like a hundred stupid dollars each. Of course RockAuto doesn't ship spindle nuts from the same warehouse, so now I am calling the dealership and playing the parts-desk game.

gently caress you, car. I wanted to spend that money on crack.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

bennyfactor posted:

I guess you could call an on/off toggle switch for the throttle on a powered wheelchair a ... seat safety switch. :c00lbutt:

I indeed saw what you did there, but you can absolutely run yourself over with this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah kick that cancer's rear end. When you're done go across the hall and kick the other guy's cancer's rear end too.

• Locked thread