Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

kastein posted:

Make sure to add like 20 degrees of camber to your rockers on that drat obsolete janky pushrod motor

You should be running a modern DOHC motor like a 4.6 :v::v:

Hey now, I like my 4.6 in my CVPI :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Why use sliders in the middle? Just slam that HDR slider to the motherfucking right.

Proper levels and tone are for scrub rear end losers. All high contrast all the time.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

They are just lovely Instagram filters with my lovely cellphone. Don't judge me for it, lol.

You know this is AI, right? Half the forum takes every chance possible to crack jokes about you splashing people, saying "Don't judge me for my lovely filter use" isn't gonna help :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Christ. Was just behind a dude towing a lawnmower on a trailer that had a gnarly blowout. Dude's tire suddenly started shredding going down the highway at 60mph or so and it was flinging massive chunks of rubber back at my car. Started flashing my lights trying to get him to pull over but he drove probably another mile or two before swinging into the gas station. Stopped and talked to him, he said he didn't even notice, thought maybe he had a flat or something. It managed to take out his trailer license plate, looks like a chunk bent the fender pretty badly as well, and he was driving on half rim, half shredded tire for probably a mile at least. I'm just glad that dude's trailer didn't get loose and cause a wreck, and that nothing major happened to my car. Pretty sure I took a few chunks to the front bumper, but luckily it's that rubbery plastic material so they just deflected off and away.

I'm just amazed he didn't notice the tire self destructing at 60mph over the course of maybe 30 seconds.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What did she drive?

Subaru Outback / Forester? :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

Owns.

I'm still trying to figure out where to set it up. My backyard has way too many trees, but the mount needs power to function. We'd probably just look at the moon and maybe Saturn, so light pollution shouldn't be an issue. Maybe a parking lot close-by and a jumper pack? I wanna drink, so close-by is crucial, but there are a few solid candidates.

I don't think I've put it up here before, so here's my big dicktelescope:

It's an 8" primary Newtonian Orion, with a Celestron CG-5 hypertuned mount. Nerd-boner, engage.

Fuuuck me, i'm jealous. I still want to get a decent telescope with an autotrack mount and T-Rings so I can mount my Canon T2i to one and do some proper astrophotography :flashfap:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

Astrophotography is super hard holy poo poo.

I've got a T-ring for my Canon, but achieving a good polar alignment to shoot exposures over more than a second without motion blurring is just insanely difficult for me. I've even got a polar scope inside the loving HYPERTUNED mount and I still suck. Honestly I wouldn't even try DSO's without an autoguider or the patience of a saint, maybe both.

I can also say that making a Bahtinov Mask out of cardboard or something was easily the biggest Eureka moment ever. I don't know how anyone could achieve proper focus without one, Once you have it set you're good for the night and no longer have that variable to gently caress up.

:goonsay:

Forgive my ignorance, Bahtinov Mask? Whazzat? The only real astrophotog i've done has been in the realm of 30 - 60 second galaxy exposures with the kit lens at ISO 3200 on my manual tripod, so any of the advanced terms are kinda lost on me :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

It was created in 2008, so its super new, but it's the easiest loving way to achieve focus I've ever seen.

with AP you set the focus to the camera once and never have to touch it again, so it's either perfect or you're gonna get some blurry blob. In my case I suck at everything else so I still get a blurry blob but at least it's perfectly focused.

A Bahtinov Mask is a cover with slits in it that goes over the tube inlet. It diffracts the incoming light in such a way that two diffraction spikes form an x shape, and a third is vertical between them at perfect focus. When improperly focused, the vertical bar will be shifted left or right of the center of the X, and moving the dials will move the vertical diffraction spike.

The Wikipedia page explains it expertly and simply, and has some great visuals.

Also, I'd love to know how your galaxy photos came out!

Holy poo poo that sounds super useful. I've been doing all my focusing the hard way, looking through the camera viewfinder and just squinting and manually tweaking the focus ring. That mask sounds like it makes things infinitely easier!

So far this is the best I've managed with my gear, but it turned out cool so i'm okay with that. I've dabbled in exposure stacking and getting multiple hours worth of star trails as well, but I need more batteries to properly do that.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

This is fuckin' cool as hell, I wish I still had my old telescope, it was a p fuckin nice celestron with a motorized base and poo poo. I think I used it maybe 3 times :(

Haha, thanks man. I'm still planning on grabbing a decent telescope setup sometime this fall / winter with any luck. Right now that's basically the one big investment I still need to make to start doing proper galaxy / star stuff. The 18 - 55mm kit lens works for wide shots, but I want to take photos of Andromeda and stuff :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

^^^ Heh, thanks man. One thing I love about this area, super rural so light pollution isn't too bad.

Adiabatic posted:

Andromeda is pretty god damned huge. I'm not sure if an 18-55 would get it well, but a 75-300 should do you well.

Here's a good size-reference comparing it to the moon:

Obviously it's been photoshopped in, but that's about how large it is in the sky compared to Luna The only problem is light absorption, but huge ISO and long exposure will take care of that, as you no doubt know.

Other DSOs, you absolutely need a telescope for. Andromeda just happens to be a special snowflake that wants to come say hi at 200,000 mph.

I've got a 70 - 300 telephoto lens, so I could mayyybe swing it, but i'm worried about blur from the combo of high zoom and non-tracking mount that I currently have :v:

It's definitely a serious goal of mine though. Just gotta keep putting back money and try to find the ideal setup that's not too expensive but still high quality enough to have auto tracking and good lens quality.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 3, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Nodoze posted:

Shoutouts to forever alone :(

Permanently single club whatup :hfive:

I'm too weird, awkward, antisocial, and unattractive to land a date and I have come to accept this :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Nodoze posted:

Not a club I want to be in but welp that's life :smith:

It's cool, we have our own special shot glasses :v:

I crack lots of (self deprecating) jokes about it, but honestly, it could be worse. I'd rather be single and investing my time / money into stuff I enjoy (see: astrophotog chat) over being in a relationship and struggling to make someone happy.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Goddamn the new Maserati Granturismo sounds loving mean in person. Dad and I were behind one in traffic and even with the guy just babying the throttle, it sounded angry. Looked gorgeous, too.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

kastein posted:

Some of those were pretty cool but these are still the best lowered jeeps.

Goddamn these are awesome. That second one especially :h:

Also, gently caress Trump, Sanders in 2016 :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Here's the Trans Am I saw at work this week.

Unnnf. Want it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Nodoze posted:

Camera/Astrophotog nerds what should I be looking at as a starter for getting into this? Recommendations seem kinda all over the place

A stable tripod to start, or if you want to invest $$$, a good autotracking mount, depending on how much you want to sink in right at the start. A decent tripod will let you get some good wide angle sky / galaxy shots without much issue, an autotracker will allow you to use a high powered lens and zoom in on distant objects while maintaining a steady focus on them, so you could use a telephoto or telescope and photograph more far away stars / galaxies / etc.

Right now I shoot with a Canon T2i with an 18-55mm kit lens and a basic, manual tilt / adjust tripod, and i've gotten some okay shots. Definitely want an autotrack setup at some point though.

Also, you're gonna want to find someplace wayyy away from cities or even most towns to shoot from / at. Light pollution is a total pain to deal with when you're trying to capture stars and such with really long exposures.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is one of the few things that might block out the smell. Put that fucker in for 10 minutes, if the building burns down at least it won't smell like reheated fish anymore.

The Hateful Eight teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnRbXn4-Yis

God I am so loving stoked on that movie. Kurt Russell -and- SLJ in a Tarantino Western together? Yes please :flashfap:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Seafood in general is disgusting, imo. I can't stand the taste, the smell, or the texture of it. About the only kind I can handle is shrimp and even that's not particularly great. I'll stick to beef and chicken and pork :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I cant think of a single thing from the sea I wont eat. Hell, even raw oysters as long as they come from a good source - there is real risks eating unknown sourced ones, given they basically strain any poo poo out of the water.

I want roast crab and lobster now.

You are a braver man than me, dude. I can't even handle catfish, oysters would make me lose my poo poo.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So hey, you guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMVu54MXW3M

A goddamn Tank Biathlon happened earlier today. This may be the coolest sport ever.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

Soak up as much water as possible, vaccum the carpet to get even more up. Keep water from being trapped and causing mold to grow. If its bad enough, consider pulling that part of the carpet up to expose the padding and get it dry that way, then putting the carpet back.

Also, borrow / buy a Shop Vac if you don't already have one. One of those should help get a lot of it up.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Some weekends you stay in and watch Netflix; some weekends you acquire Strange Things from coworkers and drive home on expired tags hoping you don't get pulled over.

:aaaaa:

This owns. What's the story?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Apparently the US Forest Service experimented with water-bombing fires - it failed, but probably led to modern water-drop techniques? A coworker bought this thing for $2 at a local garage sale 20 years ago, and the owner explained the history and told him this was once a waterbomb. Said coworker got tired of looking at it in his yard and gave it to me.

A cursory google search has led nowhere except this Oct 1947 Popular Mechanics article

I kind of want to toss it in an electrolysis bath, paint it Forest Service Green and put some cool Firebomb Brigade stencils on it but the antique collector in me says not to. Maybe I should hang it underneath the Jeep and see how long I can drive before getting pulled over.

Man, that's awesome! Painting it green and renovating it would be cool, but I can understand the desire to keep it original. It'll definitely be a hell of a display piece either way :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Goddamn I love owning a beater. Nothing like fixing paint chips and rust by throwing on a quick and dirty masking job over the windows and just rattlecan bombing everything gloss white to sorta half-rear end match the paint :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Man, I ignore the chat thread for a bit and suddenly probations are everywhere and some of my favorites are in kitty jail :(

On the plus side, this past week has led to me possibly starting a fwb thing with an incredibly hot ex of mine, so... yeah, totally okay with that :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Guys, I feel like I really need one of those rad dual sport motorcycles in my life. I keep watching videos of dudes thrashing them down trails and having a blast and it's basically the perfect thing for where I live because they're street legal dirtbikes. I assume there's some horrible downside here that i'm missing, but man they look cool :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

MustardFacial posted:

I've got a Suzuki DR200 dual sport, and yeah the thing is rad, super light and indestructible. The only downside to it is that it's slow (200cc) and I can't get my bike license with it because then I'll be able to get a bigger bike. I want to sell it and get a DRZ400 and then turn it into a supermoto, or just get a bigger dual sport, or gently caress bikes entirely and get an old Datsun/Toyota/Mazda.

If Dual Sports didn't exist then I wouldn't give two shits about bikes.

I just want something that:

A. Can support my giant lanky rear end (6'5" and 220lbs)
B. Can be driven on the street and then taken down any interesting dirt trails I spot
C. Won't loving kill me :v:

I know I definitely will never get one, but lately I have this massive soft spot for Ducati Scramblers in particular. They just look so good :h:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The Locator posted:

I've successfully made it to the half-century mark today. Go me. To celebrate I guess I'll go to work.

Grats man, happy birthday!

Also, I think i'm going to strangle my roomie. Got woken up at 4:30am to the sound of hammering / stuff being banged around. Went out to see what's up, he was beating a plastic container against the counter / sink as hard as he could. Asked him what the gently caress was up in slightly more polite terms, he was trying to get the food out of said container so he could take the trash out. At four thirty. In the loving morning. When trash doesn't run until like, 9am at least.

I loving hate people.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yeah I am not interested in eating sea bugs at all. I have eaten a lot of different things, horse even at a Tongan function. Seafood has just been given a permanent no thanks from me.

Why do I have a sudden urge to buy a hot full-frame camera and expensive glass in front if it? I just want all the prime lenses. I am sure that my T5i and 50mm lens are holding me back because I am some sort of great master. I just know that it will be limiting to me eventually. Plus being able to be closer to a subject with a full frame camera would be nice. If we didn't just spend tens of thousands of dollars finishing our basement I would probably try and justify a new 5DS or something.

I shoot with a T2i and honestly haven't felt like i'm being held back by not having a full frame :v:

I need an autotracking mount and a wide angle lens and I think i'll be set.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The Locator posted:

I'm kind of the same way, I'm constantly talking myself out of buying a 105mm Nikon macro lens for taking pictures of my model boat project, when the kit lenses are taking perfectly good pictures of it already. That lens costs more than the complete body with 2 lens kit, flash, remote, spare battery and tripod that I already have.

Have you looked into extension tubes? I've got a set for my T2i and with the 18 - 55mm kit lens, they let you do some crazy macro stuff:

They're also super cheap, all things considered. Mine ran me about $60, I think? Still retain autofocus ability as well, though when doing macro I usually stick with manual because extension tubes make your focal range super narrow.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 22, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The Locator posted:

I really haven't, although maybe I should (I did not know that the AF and metering still worked with stuff like that). I think my problem is that I really like buying new toys!

The kit lens really does take fantastic pictures (or at least fantastic enough) for the kind of stuff I'm doing:

It's more about always wanting to get the bigger better 'thing' I think.

You have to spend a bit more to get tubes with sensor contacts for the AF stuff, but like I said, mine ran me somewhere around $60 and they maintain full functionality.

And hey! I (think) I recognize those model ship photos from the Scale Modelling thread! That's one of the kits where you have to cut and hand lay all the planking, right?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

Model ships chat:
I had no idea there was a scale model thread and now I want to go look at that - is that here in AI? I somehow have never stumbled across it if it is.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

A lot of the dudes who post there build some fantastic stuff.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

:lol:

Can confirm, this is great. Low budget Fury Road remake incoming?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

This is more Cycle Asylum than AI, and my cell phone has a poo poo camera, but dad's latest project is making progress:

https://youtu.be/C1hEQ8t8LjE

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

So my loveable "fun uncle" just came by the house with a 93 notchback foxbody in terrible shape, 4 cylinder automatic, saying something about how he doesn't know how he'll keep going to work and also find time to change the u joints in the drive shaft. I sent him away with my old beater truck, I told him I'd get the joints changed and he can just bring the truck back then.

While all the sensible people around me are telling me what a bad idea it is to let him borrow the truck, I'm over here wondering if he'd like to swap vehicles with me. I'll have to throw some pictures up tomorrow.

So far I've gone to relocate it on my street and roll the window up only to find that 1) the window doesn't roll up and 2) I can't get the key out of the ignition now. He had left it in when he showed up and it came out like normal, but he'd said something about how you have to try hard to get the ignition cylinder to move after parking it so I guess that's the issue. Oh also he says the U joints went bad because 6 months ago he accidentally employed the car and it's bell housing as an impromptu stump puller then "pulled the drive train back straight with a come along and put some c-clamps on it". Surely I'm smart enough not to want this car. Surely.

Strip it, gut it, cage it, stuff a 302 / 351 in it mated to a T56, and turn it into a drift monster :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EphjLzP0OT0

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Pre-ordered the Mad Max game, now to wait a week for it to actually release :v:

Also, goddamn my roomie either thinks i'm an idiot or is just insanely ballsy. He just bought himself some smoke last night, then today has the nerve to ask me if he can borrow $10 til Wednesday. I'm having a really hard time resisting the urge to reply with "lol, gently caress no, learn to budget."

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

OH MAN YOU GUYS.

Jalopnik link, etc etc etc but still.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Chrysler's new Charger uses the front end from a 3rd gen Camaro...

http://jalopnik.com/the-next-dodge-charger-uses-an-alfa-romeo-platform-and-1726749114

T1g4h posted:

OH MAN YOU GUYS.

Jalopnik link, etc etc etc but still.

:v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

That picture is of the Charger concept from loving 1999 :rolleyes:

"The next Dodge Charger will ride on the same platform as the upcoming Alfa Romeo Giulia and has looks that resemble this 1999 concept car, according to Fiat Chrysler dealers in Las Vegas invited to see the car at a closed event on Monday."

At least the picture's relevant?

Also, I can't be the only one who actually kinda likes how that concept looked. I thought it was decent.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Well I wouldn't have duped you if you had put some effort in to it. :colbert:

Listen man, I can't be bothered to put forth effort, I have a very busy life okay :colbert:

(I just thought it was funny. First time that's ever happened to me :v: )

• Locked thread