Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm a fan of mechanical keyboards these days. I've had a few for a couple of years and I've had no issues with them. I want a model m but I have enough keyboards and I don't know if I want to spend the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

Gonna go ahead and guess that she didn't drive due to mutiple DUIs. That's the impression I was getting.

Sounds more like she was trying to get you to take her home. :smug:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Did you ever tell him that it was a pee rag?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
At work, there's an internal equivalent to Facebook. Someone posted a question about declawing a cat. Turned into a lot of people arguing about why or why not to declaw a cat. I don't think the op knew what they were doing when they posted that question.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Looks like I'll be in the Boston area in a few weeks if anyone wants to hang out.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

fjelltorsk posted:

Phonepostin from the loony bin. The doctor at the er recommended 72 hours of inpatient treatment while my brain sorta lands. I can leave if i want to. But i have a feeling that some good sleep and what they called an intro to therapy where i have two sessions a day is good for me.

Echoing all of the positive thoughts here. I'm glad you got help as well. Mental health can be a serious issue that gets overlooked.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Hey guys, the August chat thread got weird.

The e/n tag is really appropriate.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Upside: 3 weeks sober. This is the longest I've been sober since 2008 or so.

Good job STR! I'm glad you're doing well.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Not gonna lie, it's been difficult. I had a cousin invite me to one of my favorite bars last week, which was part of a fundraiser for the Texas Gay Rodeo Association (not really into cowboys or rednecks, but I'm always up for anything to help the local LGBT community), and I had a really hard time saying no. I started trying to justify it by saying "I'll just go up there, donate, and shoot a few games of pool", which turned into "... and I know I'll have a drink while I play pool", which turned into "gently caress, I know I can't stop with one drink, I'll drink until I'm smashed or my wallet is empty, this would be a really bad idea".

That extra ~$100+ a week sure is nice though. So is gaining another notch on my belt, I'm down almost 15 pounds (... I think the cat found a lot of it, holy poo poo he's getting huge - weighed him today, 15.5.. he's gonna be pissed when I stop the free feeding).

I can't speak from personal experience but I imagine it's super difficult since you have have to change so much about your life. Realizations like "I can't just have one beer" must be awful. I'm sure the extra $100 must be helpful when it comes to pay your bills and I'm sure the weight loss is helping your diabetes and blood pressure. This is going to be a long process but again, I'm really glad you're doing better. It was hard reading some of those posts you made from the ER.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Slow is Fast posted:

If it doesnt fit in the cup holder of a 2003 subaru legacy it's dead to me :|

Moto g 2015?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I miss having a nexus. Updates straight from Google, promptly without any bullshit.

The oneplus one is nice and all but their devs suck poo poo. If cyanogenmod didn't still support this phone, I would have ditched it by now.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

stump posted:

Drove Vegas > Death Valley > 395 > 207 > South Lake Tahoe yesterday in a rented Nissan Altima S.

Stunning drive, but the I'm not impressed with the Altima. Steering is heavy without feedback, and the CVT can go suck a dick. Coming up the winding hills on the 207 (great road) I'd ease off the throttle into a corner, it goes down a "gear", back on the throttle to balance the car *clunk*, floor it coming out the corner *clunk*, next corner rinse and repeat. And that was in "sport" mode with overdrive disabled. Any slight backing off of the throttle means the car immediately goes up a few gears and then has a paddy when you ask for the power you had s few seconds ago.

Is that normal for a CVT? I don't have much experience with automatics but I expected better for a '15 model. Theoretically that car should be quicker than my diesel e46 buy that gearbox ruins the car. Admittedly it goes ok when it is in proper CVT mode.

That's just kind of how a CVT is. There's always a slight delay after you hit the pedal. You get used to it.

ilkhan posted:

This is why people who drive sticks hate driving automatics. Its not pro-active, it only knows what you've done, not what you are going to do.

And for me, I'd rather the car just accelerate when I floor it, not take 2 seconds to hunt for the right gear THEN start accelerating. And I'd like engine braking. And....

If you went down a steep enough hill in my '07 Altima, the transmission starts revving high and essentially engine braking. It scared the hell out of me the first time it happened since I didn't know what engine braking was at the time.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
There's nothing wrong with a cx5. My friends dad has one and it's really nice. I'd also recommend a subaru of some sort. Won't the cx5 be easier to spot in the parking lot though? Or am I thinking of a different part of the country?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Comrade Flynn posted:

Of course I'm doing this. I'm talking to Lambo HQ about hooking the kid up with all sorts of swag. Finding a model of my car is a huge pain in the rear end but I know of a place on ebay I can snag one.

Apparently they've also hooked him up with a behind the scenes museum tour here in Seattle. So the plan is I pick him up at his house, drive him to the museum, then drive him to the dog park where the local samoyed club is going to surprise him with a party (he loves samoyeds and Lamborghinis apparently).

This made my day.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Bajaha posted:

Oh we're way past the point of no return. We budgeted about $20k all in for ~90-100 people, but it's looking like it's closer to 130 guests now and that means more $$$. The catering isn't terrible pricing, it just really adds up with that many people. Plus we're going fancy with walk around appetizers at cocktail hour, a nice 3 course meal, and a really comprehensive late lunch with glassware and the works for after dinner.

When we did the taste testing it was divine. The food is one is the things I'm really looking forward to at the reception, it just sucks that now it's the time to write all those checks for the big day :(

E: catering is coming up as almost half the final cost of the wedding.

I have friends that are doing a potluck for the reception. They tried to tell me "we want people to be involved with our wedding" but it really sounds more like "I don't want to pay $3k for you guys to eat." I don't know how you expect people coming from all around to bring a dish or anything.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm getting to that point where I'm starting to think about all of that with my girlfriend. She said once that if we got to that point she'd like a ring pop. I don't know poo poo about rings so I'd at least consider it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://youtu.be/IEgkDuJyI0U

That seems to sum up this mornings posts

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Happy birthday, MrChips

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Fish and what not is delicious. Shellfish is not because I'm allergic to shellfish. Everyone seems to forget this and invites me out for sushi. :smith: I know there's sushi without shellfish in there but the risk of cross-contamination isn't worth it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Traveling for work today. I'm going to get so much overtime this week due to travel. I don't have PMs but I'll be about half an hour from Boston if anyone wants to get dinner. I know that I missed out on NEAI.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My friend got a credit card 2 years ago. Her limit was $300. Fresh out of college with no credit will do that to you.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I started reading the Martian on my last flight and I haven't put it down yet.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

Given there has only been one tropical storm north of tampa in the last 7 or so years, its not that odd. Honestly, I dug out the generator and am gonna have it ready as a just in case, but other than that I'm going in to work. gently caress your hurricanes. :colbert:

(Any bets on how many "I DROVE THROUGH A PUDDLE AND MY CAR DOESN'T WORK RIGHT" customers I get in the next week or two?"

Better question: How many people do you think they'll splash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

QuarkMartial posted:

Friends of the wife and I are all hyped up about getting their daughter her first car. I'd love to be excited.... But it's a 2010 PT Cruiser.

Isn't your first car supposed to be a shitbox?

• Locked thread