Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Tonight I went out to town for a gig in my local shithole venue independent small venue and used the local bus for the first time in over 15 years. (I use the bus in London loads while working but never the rural one where I live up north)

Not only was I amazed that there was a direct bus to where I wanted to go available from a stop 2 minutes walk from my house, but I was also astounded to find that over the last 15 years since I last used it this bus has not only got much nicer but has also only gone up by around 50%. In the same time period petrol has pretty much doubled in price and car parking has gone from free to chargeable everywhere.

The bus fare now costs less than the parking charges alone.

As a car lover I almost feel bad that I will now be catching the bus out to go drinking much more often!

Also - If anybody likes instrumental stoner/sludge metal then these guys rock - https://player.spotify.com/album/0O3wrQXzezyYwFJ2hwWcqv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

UK people - I want to buy some breakdown cover for my car. Has anybody ever used any of the cheap companies like startrescue or breakdown assist? I just need emergency breakdown/recovery for my daily driver, and occasional euro cover if I can get one with this rolled in.

I've been part of my parents RAC family membership for ever but the RAC have just sent my dad the renewal notice which said 'thanks for being a member for 40 years, here is your special commemorative membership card' and hit him up for a 30% price increase which they wont negotiate on so he has quite rightly told them to gently caress right off.

annoyingly, all my classic car insurance policies have UK and European breakdown cover included for free - including my series 2 landy which is insured for limited mileage (either 1000 or 3000 miles/year), and costs £40/year (their minimum policy charge)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

MustardFacial posted:

But then I wouldn't get to see the World Famous Illuminations :v:

Seriously though, your water tastes like industrial effluent, and Canadian Nando's is better. Wagamamma is still delicious.

Wait - you didnt go to Blackpool and drink the water did you? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-33816989

To be fair, our water tastes different everywhere you go and I think most new buildings in the UK manage to do something in their plumbing that makes it taste wierd. I've been in various places down south/South East this week and it seems to have been especially wierd/horrible tasting in them all. Even in Bath (which is famous for its springs) the water where i was staying was horrible.

Bape Culture posted:

Start rescue are fuckin mint. They've picked me up like 4 times. Always ace and they send low pickups for me which is nice :)

Cheers. They are top of the list of the cheap companies so far because I had already heard of them before today, and they seem to do an annual UK policy with 16 days of euro cover included will cover some holidays.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 12, 2015

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

MustardFacial posted:

Haha no I didn't go to Blackpool at all. I made the mistake of drinking the water in Hayes and wanted to throw up, then I drank the water in the relative countryside of Leicester and it was only mildly better. After that I only had bottled water (with Lemsip mixed in), and pints of Kronenbourg.

Its often quoted that water in London has already been drunk by 8 other people before it gets to you - which probably helps give it some flavour. It is also a well known factoid that Beer is safer to drink than water. You should have drunk more beer (and less of that foreign lager poo poo)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jeherrin posted:

UK goon here, the family takes the car over to Provence every year or so (so we can bring back lots of wine). I like driving in France. It's pretty sedate, lane discipline on the motorways is excellent, road surface is good, and they have sensible speed limits (130kph in the dry, 120 or 110kph in the wet). The best thing, however, is the aires. Large road-side pull-off stops, set back from the road and separated by trees, with toilets, benches, greenery, and generally lots of space. It's literally quiet enough to nap, and that's intentional.

I'm driving to France tomorrow for a weeks holiday with some mates :)

However I have already driven 600 miles this week going to work and back, and I only got home at 8pm today and it is now 00:30 and I have just finished sorting out my insurance and packing and am now knackered.

My mate is driving my car down to the tunnel leaving at 8am tommorrow (I hope I can sleep a bit in the passenger seat), and then I'm taking over for calais to paris-ish tommorrow afternoon, and then paris-bordeaux the day after.

• Locked thread