Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

Talked to TWC. $39.95 just to have them show up, can't give me a total price over the phone, but was told it would likely be at least $100. gently caress that.

I got a long rear end 100 foot extension cord, a hammer, and duct tape, and threw that motherfucker as hard as I could across the attic.

.... made it halfway. Dragged myself on my rear end across the rafters and got it to the other side, and even managed to pop out of the other hatch. Now to duct tape the new coax to the extension cord, pull it back, and hope it doesn't snag again.

fake edit: moving this to the August thread.

real edit: replaced early 90s coax with RG6U, downstream signal strength has gone down significantly. :fuckoff: (yet the SNR has gone down too :psyduck: ) Upstream power levels are exactly the same. It's locking at a higher downstream frequency now, so I don't know if that has something to do with the lower signal levels. Signal quality to the HDHomeRuns is also down a little.

I need to just get some modern splitters. The ones I have now are decent quality (Regal), but original to the house, and only rated to 1 GHz. I have a Klein up in the attic, but it's an 8 port, and I'm worried that many ports, even with terminators, will degrade the signal further.

real edit 2: pulled new cable to the modem outlet, signal quality is much better and uncorrectable errors are a tiny fraction of what they were before. upstream power is still on the high side, but it's got a stable signal now.

RF is goddamn voodoo magic, man. I'd definitely replace those splitters, most stuff goes up to 1.5+ GHz these days. Number of ports on the splitter is largely irrelevant; you lose ~1dB for every connector junction, and usually a couple dB for every splitter, but the number of ports shouldn't change that loss unless it's an absolute piece of trash splitter.

Still, no point having more ports than you have a use for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Previa_fun posted:

I've decided my next car is going to be a Fiesta ST, either late this year or more likely early next year. Until then the plan is to put every cent I don't absolutely need to spend into savings for a sizeable down payment.

I know at least one of you guys own one of these - what do you think? Is it as fun as it looks and would you say it's worth the price in fun/$$ ratio?

God yes. I'm down in Straya so we have the two-door version which only has "what color would you like?" as options, but with the recaro seats fitted and all the options you actually want anyway.

It's amazing enough stock but a simple flash tune & intake (I believe Cobb have a kit with both for USDM cars?) gives you an absurd amount of torque and a lot of very silly turbo sounds (which are excellent, it just sounds so happy!)

IIRC you yanks can get the Mountune performance kit through dealers too which is a flash tune and intake kit that doesn't void the car's warranty, which is pretty dope.

It's surprisingly fun in a straight line and a ridiculous amount of fun through the twisties. 10/10 would recommend.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Tesla posted a video most of you have probably seen showing the prototype of their "metal snake" automatic charge cable plug... thing.

It's much better with the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYyzTLzXEcA

E: aaaand this was posted three posts ago. I tried.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 8, 2015

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Enourmo posted:

Not as good as it was when I saw it three posts up.

God dammit. How did I miss that? Sorry :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Replacing lithium ion cells with spotwelded interconnects and epoxied on thermal sensors seems like a fast track to an unnecessary world of hurt

lithium fires aren't fun :psyduck:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

BloodBag posted:

Is that This kit? Because now I know what I'm doing today :getin:

You can actually do a pretty decent job with just standard two-part cut and polish, it's all in the elbow grease and microfibre cloths
but those kits usually work pretty well

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

General_Failure posted:

He said it was an old drill so I figured it was Ni-Cd or NiMH.

Ah, fair point. That'd be pretty easy, yeah.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Anyone have experience with the HDMI <-> ethernet <-> HDMI kits? I know most require CAT6, just wondering if anyone's tried them with CAT5E before.

They claim to require CAT6, but if you use the IP-based ones as opposed to the balun-type ones, 100mbps ethernet is plenty (they use around 60-80mbps at 1080p30) - and they'll happily run gigabit over CAT5e just fine.

In my experience, the balun-types will work just fine over 5e as well, just with a reduced maximum length (~50m instead of hundreds) - I'm a big fan of the IP types though as you can hook up multiple receivers to the one transmitter, and have multiple transmitters on one network (though multiple transmitters can get a little iffy to set up)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

50 meters would be plenty. It would basically be a short length of cable to a wall jack (or two on some of the models I've seen), cat5e run up the inside of the wall (~10 ft), run across the ceiling (~13 ft), then halfway down the other wall, going to a recessed outlet + low voltage box behind the TV. I'd use different color cat5 keystones to differentiate between ethernet and TV.

Monoprice's $20 kit sounds like it might even work, it claims to handle 1080p over CAT5E, just at a reduced maximum length compared to CAT6.

I have a double gang keystone plate that can handle up to 12 keystones - if I used it for this, I'd put in 2 ethernet jacks, and use the rest for sound (5.1 receiver, the sub stays near it, so I could run the other 5 speakers on the same wall plate and wall mount them). [snip]

Yeah, the monoprice kit ought to work for you if it's anything like the cheap $20 kits i've tested. It worked fine over a run of appx 20m, no issues, and that sounds like that's all you're really working with anyway.

I probably wouldn't run HDMI over more than 5M (10 tops) without an amplifier of some kind, too, so the UTP converters are pretty great (and usually cheaper than an amp). I use some cheap eBay IP based ones on their own VLANs (free fancy-pants switch! woo!) & a hdmi matrix switch to feed my gear downstairs to a TV upstairs, works pretty well.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

I actually have an 8 meter HDMI cable somewhere that I used to use. Worked fine, though my TV is on the older/cheaper side and only does 720p (or 1080i).

20m is quite a bit more than what I'll be working with, unless I go the IP-based route (even then I think it'd only add about 3 meters - all the network gear is in the closet next to my desk). My switch is 16 port, but unmanaged (router has another 3 ports open on it, but also unmanaged), so I wouldn't be able to do a VLAN. I do have a spare switch, if they're capable of being manually configured instead of requiring DHCP.

the IP-based ones I have experience with all use multicast UDP to stream the video (you can actually funnel it into VLC, though it uses up an absurd amount of CPU to software-decode the stream).

For a simple short point to point sort of thing I wouldn't bother, but they're neat for single source multi output sort of things. the ones I got behave like these https://danman.eu/blog/reverse-engineering-lenkeng-hdmi-over-ip-extender/

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

the transfer rate of the SSD in my desktop is roughly 450MB/sec, which works out to a little under half a gigabit per second.

uh, unless your SSD is from somewhere around 2009, that's 450megaBYTES per second, which is approximately 4.5-5 gigabits per second. Multiply by ten for rough guess etc.
Modern SATA SSDs completely flood the 6gbps you get out of SATA III, and PCIe SSDs can hit 20+gbps all on their own.

The good news is your current wiring will probably run 10gbps just fine if none of the runs are particularly short, especially by the time it trickles down to consumer. I can run 10gbps over the ~30m lengths of twenty year old CAT5 in our walls and it works just fine (borrowed some gear from dad's office, stupid fast...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Stepped on a scale today and the number it showed me was loving terrifying.

Have decided to go out walking (and eventually running) every day as a start. I only made 1.5km. A year in a desk job has ruined me.
Christ this is depressing. But I've got to start somewhere.

And dad's knocked the $400 O2 sensor off his Alfa 159's exhaust again. Stupid low car with long wheelbase... Ought to build some armor to protect the sensor, which is stupidly the lowest point of the vehicle.
Keeps getting murdered by speedbumps.

• Locked thread