Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
After 13 weeks of waiting my car FINALLY... did not arrive. I went to the dealership today, 5 weeks after the quoted latest delivery date, and told them to gently caress off. Couldn't get my deposit back because their finance people were out (supposedly) but it'll be done on Monday. Went 8 minutes north to another Ford dealership and bought a 2015 Fiesta ST in Performance Blue with the "factory loaded" spec for the same price, after rebates and haggling, that I had agreed to buy the custom-specc'd car for. It's being trailered in from 4 hours away on Monday morning.

Buying a brand-new car is nothing but loving stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

goatse guy posted:

This is everyone's problem when shopping for cars, and I spend a lot of time coaching customers to lower their expectations, because price is the biggest sticking point in any car deal and the reason why car buying is such a hassle

Eh, I didn't have a problem with the price. Personally I think so many people in the US have problems with that particular aspect because they've never lived in a culture in which you're expected to bargain on price, and it's so unfamiliar they get stressed over it. The place I bought from tried to dick me on the trade-in but gave me 2K off the MSRP on a 25K car; we dickered back and forth a couple times. It would have been a lot worse if they tried the entire "'I'm going back to my manager to discuss your counter offer' and disappear for 30 minutes' routine, but it was basically walk to the middle of the dealership, 3 minutes, and a walk back for my counter to their offer, and the counter-counter, and the counter-counter-counter. I came out alright, they didn't try to push their own financing on me, and there was a question ONCE of all the worthless add-on bullshit, which I promptly declined and it wasn't brought up again. Most stressful thing that happened there was that they brought me over the window sticker for a car they had to pull in from another dealership, which we started dealing on, and I got a loan app in for, until they found out it'd been sold that morning. Took 5 minutes to correct.

My problem is/was actually the customer service at the first dealership I went to, starting with the appointment I set up to order the thing. Nobody was available to help me until 20 min after my appt., and then it wasn't the salesman I had been dealing with, it was some half-literate mouthbreather that took in excess of 45 minutes to enter in two option codes to a computer, hand me a printout, and take my debit card around back for the $500 deposit. They were wrong (through pure incompetence) on the delivery date, didn't bother notifying me they were wrong and the wait for delivery would be twice as long as they quoted, ignored my request for the DORA twice, didn't bother providing a VIN when I gave them 7 days to do so (and AFTER it was finished being built), etc. Every interaction I had with them was a pain in the rear end and made me wonder why I was trying to give them my money.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Pham Nuwen posted:

Prediction for a few days from now: "Oh gently caress oh gently caress there's a piss test, oh woe is me!"

"gently caress guys, my drug use resulted in a bad outcome AGAIN!?"

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

goatse guy posted:

Could be worse, you could meet someone who borrows your pee rag and never returns it.

Which, by the way, is who I am meeting for drinks right now.

...you're going back out with that dude? Does knowing he wiped your dry pissrag on his face take the nervousness out of it?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I confirmed delivery of my new Fiesta ST at 5pm, bought a riser for the gas pedal at 6:30pm, picked up the car at 8:15pm, got the odo to 300 miles by 9:50pm, and bought Weathertech floormats at 10:00pm. Now I'm looking at Cobb and Mountune's pages. he;lp

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CountOfNowhere posted:

Where?! I paid $175 for Suntek Carbon and it was one of the cheapest places in town.

I just made an appointment half an hour ago to have all-round tint put on my Fiesta and it's $355 for ceramic tint. I realize that prices change based on the market, but... your budget tint joint where they use dyed plastic film might be $99, but it's more for anything approaching quality film by a quality installer.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

meatpimp posted:

And quality ceramic film is worth the money. I've got all (!) the windows of my house tinted with a nice ceramic for UV rejection / heat mitigation and not only does it make a huge difference (it kinda messes with your mind, you see light pouring in from a wall of windows, but if you stand in the light, it's not warm, it's just light), it has held up to a lot of dog/kid/etc impact and other nonsense with no problems... not even a scratch yet and it's been ~7 years.

Oh, I know. I know. I've used Huper Optik ceramic in several of my other cars and it's always been great; there's just no installers for that brand in the area. Nothing beats it for UV and heat rejection. I wish they could make it clear with the same efficacy, I'd put it on every window.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

If you didn't go through John Marcum at Sun Shade & Security, you're doing it wrong. He charged like 200 or 250 for the 2 three years ago.

Sun Protection in Cary. Highly recommended by a number of different people at work.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Official new heavyweight champion for gnarliest poo poo I've ever coughed up.

That is literally a piece of your internal meat. You are rotting apart, inside.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Previa_fun posted:

I've decided my next car is going to be a Fiesta ST, either late this year or more likely early next year. Until then the plan is to put every cent I don't absolutely need to spend into savings for a sizeable down payment.

I know at least one of you guys own one of these - what do you think? Is it as fun as it looks and would you say it's worth the price in fun/$$ ratio?

It's pretty fun, I don't think you can beat the price/fun ratio in any other new car. It's also REALLY cheap to mod (compared to the Porsche I came from). Keep in mind - it's a fun car, it's a sporty car, but it's not a sports car. And the finish quality is trash-tier.

fjelltorsk posted:

Phonepostin from the loony bin. The doctor at the er recommended 72 hours of inpatient treatment while my brain sorta lands. I can leave if i want to. But i have a feeling that some good sleep and what they called an intro to therapy where i have two sessions a day is good for me.

What a refreshing change from literally every other goon I've ever seen post something about feeling mentally unbalanced. Good on you.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Adiabatic posted:

NOT LIKE THIS

sorry for vertical video

Sorry for private vertical video?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
OH. MY. loving. GOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYyzTLzXEcA

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
My coworker who owns the garage with attached house has a 2014 Ford F-150 Tremor with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine. His custom license plate?

"GRABOID"

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Has any IT/SysAdmin ever worked at a place where developers didn't throw a wrench into patching critical, security-related updates? Because I'd be interested to hear about how worry-free their days are.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

corn in the fridge posted:

ive ordered a thai take away for tea what is everyone else having tonight?

I had a lovely Jimmy Johns' sandwich, full of gristle. I also had a cookie. Quality of late-work food has gone down lately since the new PM's taken over, we used to actually get our choice. Now it's more like "There are 5 places with take-away in a 3 minute drive, which one you want food from?"

MikeyTsi posted:

Not here. I had one dev here spending a bunch of time whining about how long a release was taking, since I like to patch during a release so I don't have to waste time taking servers OOS twice in a month.

We do all of our patches during releases. Whodathunkit?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

NitroSpazzz posted:

Never knew I wanted to work for Mattel until today.

What's a CP race car? For some reason I'm drawing a blank....

C Prepared. Modified Mustang or Camaro, probably.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I can't tell if I successfully trolled several people in the PYF Recent Purchases thread or if they've successfully counter-trolled me.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The utter truth is that life is not fair and a bunch of people here have no illusions on how hosed up the planet and it's multiude of loving issues have no solution because of rich fat turds loving it over for everyone else. Hope and the future are being destroyed and no way to face the truth without wanting to go postal. Many of us have parents who have died, generations of pets now gone, debt and burdens of trying to raise a family or just plain live. When you get down to it, most people are quite justified to live in a ball of rage or depession...

Depression isn't just from feeling sad all the time because life itself sucks. Depression is a medical condition of brain-wiring-fuckuppedness that can be caused by the brain rewiring itself due to situational factors, like stress or life sucking. This usually starts with a bout of sadness, but ends up feeding on itself. Postpartum depression, for example. Depression following the death of a loved on. Moving.

Depression can also be caused by a permanent, incurable (but not untreatable!) brain fuckup. It will always be there to some degree or another. And it can't be treated "through other means", anymore than cancer can be treated via palm oil or magic water. Exercise, diet, avoiding problem relationships, that can all help, but people will still need to be on their meds.

Depression also isn't just "feeling sad". And I don't mean that in the angsty teenager way of trying to make something deeper out of it than it is. I mean that depression is literally depressed function. Sadness, yes, but also lack of motivation, lack of interest, lack of patience (and corresponding increased aggression), worse intuitive thinking, worse memory, worse sex drive - it influences a hell of a lot of things.

That's how people have amazing lives with everything you could ever hope to achieve and are still depressed. Because it's a medical condition. Not just "someone who's sad about poo poo all the time".

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 17, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Fo3 posted:

Don't put words into his mouth. He was not saying anything about the medical definition of depression.

He's saying people are depressed because the world sucks, as an answer to the question "why are so many ppl itt angry or depressed??", asked by poster corn in the fridge. IF CT suffers from depression, perhaps it's environmental; episodic depression brought on by outside influences. So CT's answer would be relatively true - for him. But it's not the answer to the question overall. My post wasn't intended to be a reply to CITF's question, because I don't know why so many people in the thread appear to have depressionappear to be suffering from the symptoms of depression.

But it WAS intended to provide a differing opinion from CT. Episodic depression, chronic depression, or even RBD is a constant illness; even if a person with episodic depression is not suffering from the symptoms, they still have the disease. And the answer to why is "hosed up brain wiring".

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 17, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

1500quidporsche posted:

I work a desk job and its absolutely loving soul sucking. 90% of my day is spent staring at emails asking myself how people can be this stupid while wondering if I anybody will actually notice if I go for another smoke break.

You've taken the wrong sort of desk job, friend.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

quote:

As the subject states, I would like to see who has some technical knowledge with the following: (All would be IDEAL, but not mandatory)

1. ODB2 automotive programming (understanding terminology and modifications)
2. Experience with Galletto V54 programming (modifying ECU/EPROM settings)
a. This is key for now, if you have used one of these, I definitely want to talk to you! 
3. Electronics background (some tracing may be needed)
4. Soldering skills

I have a small project I am working on and could use a hand, and compensate well for your time. If this interest you, reach out to me directly and we can talk in more details.

I don't have a lick of experience with a Galletto V54, but I'm still curious.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Geirskogul posted:

gently caress that you can make this year what you want

Counterpoint: Somewhere in the past three days I seem to have picked up some nerve damage in my dominant arm.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Siochain posted:

God bless. Albeit how the gently caress are there still any goatse virgins in TYOOL 2015.

There are people entering the workforce whose ages were in the single digits when goatse was "popular".

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

kastein posted:

Have you, corn in the fridge, and track day bro! considered getting a goddamn room and lemonpartying it up over there instead of aggressively shitposting every thread you idiots circlejerk in? Seriously, I'm reasonably sure the rest of AI just wants you all to shut the gently caress up with your drivel. You've all gone from just being idiot hellaflushers to intentionally being tards and your rap sheets already show it, but for some reason IOC is just slapping you fuckers on the wrist instead of actually doing something about it. Well, here's your response, because I no longer give enough of a gently caress to worry about getting probated over it. If that's the way things are going here, I'm not sure what the point is, I can read this kind of bullshit in BYOB and GBS if I want to.

I figured that CITF was actually just a BYOB troll who was more subtle than the ones we usually get. I've already got Bape Culture on ignore, so all his poo poo's filtered out. Just ignore them all and wait for IOC to get tired of their poo poo.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BloodBag posted:

Hey, I asked about car stuffs in here this morning, but I guess we don't talk about cars on the car forum :shrug:

Sorry, man, the only thing I know about Houston is that I want to stay far away from it.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BloodBag posted:

I should have done the same.

Have some cattes for your troubles

Those are some pretty good cats. I got a message from my girlfriend this morning, who is a vet tech, that one of my favorite client-pets has some lung problems and probably won't make it. I just played with you two weekends ago, and you were fine! Good luck, Rascal Catts.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Breath Ray posted:

Hello; what car is the spoked thing on the wall of the catte house from? Its a nice detail.

It's a Seiko "Wall Clock" 18" with 0 offset in a 2x30 pattern.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Mooseykins posted:

Well that looks pretty loving awesome.

I have a whole stack of movies i've yet to watch. I keep buying DVDs. I don't have a working DVD player.

I don't drink, but as i understand it drinking is acceptable after midday. Midday in any country, and not neccessarily the country you're in.

Bape, Corn and Track day are all English. A definitely pattern showing.

The Martian in book form is pretty good. I'm wondering how direct of an adaptation it'll be.

NC state has decided to replace solid-green lights with flashing yellow arrows at many intersections in the Triangle area. Their reasoning is that too many accidents have been caused by (dumbass) drivers who don't realize (don't care) that a solid green (vs a solid green ARROW) does not signal a protected turn, and are turning into traffic that is moving the other direction. A couple of them are already up, and they're already causing issues, as the same drivers who were turning on green are now not realizing that a flashing yellow means "stop at the intersection (NOT IN IT), and then proceed when clear".

This would not be anywhere near as much of a problem if the traffic engineers here were not third-grade dropouts, leading people to try to jump traffic and run red to avoid waiting 8+ minutes at cross streets. And if they didn't allow city councils to oppose new road construction which gives people the opportunity to avoid toll roads.

EDIT: Yes, I realize that traffic engineers have no power to oppose the people they work for.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 19, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

88h88 posted:

I feel like after watching that I don't actually need to see the film. That was pretty much the entirety of the film from start to finish in 2.5 minutes.

You didn't get to see him mixing his poop with the soil, or the final rescue attempt which has him riding outside on the top of a rocket.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Breath Ray posted:

No, that won't be necessary. But burns like that come from a dark place so it's important to call them out. I mean feel free to give me criticism but I thought there was a more grownup vibe in here.

Criticism: A more grown-up vibe also means not responding like this is after-school meeting of "The Sensitivity Alliance presents: Sensitivity Workshop: How to Passive-Aggressively respond to a non-Sensitivity trained [genderless pronoun] who has insulted you with their Insensitivity by implying their failure to conform to your ideas of Proper Behavior makes them a horrible, maladjusted person."

TL;DR: Keep that poo poo on tumblr.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
If y'all wanna play DOTA2, hit me up on Steam. I promise to buy wards.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Galler posted:

It's Phone so it must be a new Miata.

It's the new Miata he put a deposit down on like 3 months ago.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

I am intensely disappointed that you are not black. And wearing a wizard costume.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Lightbulb Out posted:

You want to paint your black wheels black?

I see a black wheel and I want to paint it black.
No colors any more I want them to turn black.
I see the cars drive by, dressed in their summer shoes.
I have to turn my head 'cause those colors give me the blues.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Fo3 posted:

...Rather than "I want to make it better for others (their kids)", people switch to "I did it, so everyone else has to"...
It makes your achievements seem pretty lovely if someone else can do what took you 15 years in a year. Nobody wants to feel like their hard work has been insignificant or subpar.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
9:40PM and stuck at work watching a process that has averaged 5% per hour over the past three hours. Wasn't able to pick my car up from the shop because I have been stuck here since 3pm. Listening to Pandora mixes and trying to keep my sanity.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Sigma X posted:

9:40PM and stuck at work watching a process that has averaged 5% per hour over the past three hours. Wasn't able to pick my car up from the shop because I have been stuck here since 3pm. Listening to Pandora mixes and trying to keep my sanity.

2:45AM still here :/

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The Locator posted:

Hopefully you are not salaried, or at least work for a cool company/boss that will compensate you in some other way (time off later or something).

I'm salary, but I'll be taking some comp time. I'd just take tomorrow (today) off, except I've got a meeting with my manager later on to discuss...stuff.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

alternate.eago posted:

So the vcenter has been down since last tuesday at work. I'm so tired from having to rebuild it over and over again because the distributed switches aren't working, or it can't connect to the SAN. I've only been on this job since the 10th...

TBH you should re-examine what's going on behind the scenes because vCenter doesn't crash.

EDIT: I'm assuming you're running ESXi5.0 or 5.5 with appropriate versions of vCenter Server and apps.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Super Aggro Crag posted:

That is loving hideous.

They've got pedestrian impact safety standards to worry about. After all, why NOT require the front-end design of a vehicle to be compliant with efforts to reduce pedestrian injuries from impacts? Even if it fucks up styling and aerodynamics and only accounts for 14% of all vehicle-related fatalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

scuz posted:

Ok, AI, we need to figure something out.

What kind of car is a "rad" car?

Obviously Rad Racer is the answer, but so far we've ruled out trucks ("sweet"), camaros ("bitchin"), and hatchbacks ("neat" and/or "fun"). Most motorcycles are "rad", but those don't count for this exercise. Other stipulations include 1.) this must be a car you would want to own, and 2.) it must be a car that isn't outlandishly expensive. For example, a DeLorean could be considered "rad", however as much as I'd like to drive one, I'd never want to own one.

The answer is staring you in the face.

• Locked thread