Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

In other interesting hill climb news, and much closer for the Texas people:

Dammit, times like this I wish I had something raceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The company nurse told me my blood is 96% nitromethane. I asked her what she thought the AKI was.

NO LUMPS NO BUMPS FULL LIFE

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Big update on stupidbus. Leaking oil oil oil

Any guesses on how many quarts cases of oil he goes through on the trip?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Like I want to be using a steamer when the projected highs for the next week are nearly 110. At least the (decent) shops have air conditioned shops. I don't even have a garage I can pull into. My a/c is ice loving cold and can easily freeze my nipples off, but I think the steamer (and having the doors open) would offset that a bit.

Isn't there a trick involving black garbage bags, some ammonia, and parking the car with the tint facing the sun to let it steam the tint off for you?

fjelltorsk posted:

most of all, i should probably tell my wife or something. she is a doctor, she fixes broken people. i just dont want to bother anyone with my crazyness

Dude, you've gone through an amount of poo poo that most of us have hopefully never seen the likes of. Talking those feelings over with your wife isn't bothering her, it's another step in taking care of yourself and kicking cancer in the ball.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To break up philosophy chat, I will say the best time to have a screw in a tire :argh: is to find it in your driveway so you can use your rattlegun and floor jack to swap to a full-size spare. Also, Discount Tire owns. Dropped the loose wheel/tire off on my way to work and they fixed it maybe 10 minutes after I got to the office.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I agree, square headlights on a Wrangler are a travesty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

Does anyone have a spare carbie to suit a 307ci SBC for offroading use? Or know where to get a cheap one in the US? They are rare as hen's teeth in Australia and a co worker needs one for his 4x4.

Do you not have any 4bbl carbs down there? A 307 can't hardly breathe anyway so it doesn't even need to be a big one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The hell? Seafood is goddamn awesome!

Seriously, I live in the middle of a godforsaken desert where any proper seafood needs to be flown in and I still think that poo poo is awesome.

gently caress, I need to get to San Diego sometime soon. Been too loving long.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

I live like 10 minutes from there. Take a week off, go get some seafood and then you can help me grind rust for the next 6 days.

Don't tempt me :v:

My old man has decided he's bored of his C63 and thinks it's making him drive like too much of an rear end in a top hat, so now he's thinking of replacing it with a new WRX since that's what my brother has.

I'm doing my damnedest to get him to buy a Focus RS instead. :getin:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's called the ranch because that's where the horses are, duh.

:golfclap:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

By the way, local goon who likes things that go vroom, Indycar might be finally coming back to Phoenix.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Check out what I just found in the darkest depths of my Gmail account. I haven't seen this picture since 2004.

That's, like, two Biturbos.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Clutch going out would feel the opposite of what I'm getting from your post - the engine would be able to make the clutch slip, so you'd be able to floor it in fourth or fifth gear and have the revs jump without any actual change in speed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I think we need an open discussion about what is allowed and not allowed in the chat thread

Yes, we do, and I'll own that. I've been trying to stay hands-off in here for most poo poo, under the idea that most AI posters are capable of making a low-effort joke once in a while (like an emptyquote or an imagemacro) without running it into the ground and being obnoxious. The reality is that it isn't creating an environment that most people actually want, myself included. Instead, it's encouraging some people to see just how lovely of a post they can get away with.

Going forward: Talk about whatever you want, but you do need to put at least the same effort into a post here as you would elsewhere in AI. If all you want to post is "hello", AI is not the forum for you.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sigma X posted:

NC state has decided to replace solid-green lights with flashing yellow arrows at many intersections in the Triangle area. Their reasoning is that too many accidents have been caused by (dumbass) drivers who don't realize (don't care) that a solid green (vs a solid green ARROW) does not signal a protected turn, and are turning into traffic that is moving the other direction. A couple of them are already up, and they're already causing issues, as the same drivers who were turning on green are now not realizing that a flashing yellow means "stop at the intersection (NOT IN IT), and then proceed when clear".

I think this might've been part of the most recently revised federal guidelines; a lot of these have been showing up around metro Phoenix in the last few years. They seem to have improved things a bit. I used to come across people who would not turn left unless they had a protected arrow, no matter what.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I need to liquidate all my DVDs except the few I know will never be on Netflix and/or hard to find online to download. I have like 150 of them. Plus a dope rear end Brookstone electric rotating DVD case I never use.

Do it. I dumped mine on Amazon's trade-in and getting rid of all of that poo poo feels good even if they're giving you pocket change at best for each one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

I sold a couple hundred DVD's to secondspin.com. They give a little more than Amazon and reimburse shipping. Some they only pay $.10 for, some a few bucks, I think I ended up with $200-$250 total. Oh and they wouldn't take SW Episode 1 lol.

Same kind of process with selling to Amazon. Find it on their site, add it to your tradein, they give you a label to stick on the box. Couple weeks later you have Amazon GC $ to spend on more poo poo you don't need.

Feels better than throwing it all in the garbage, honestly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hasn't the market on the Ford GT gone the same direction as the air cooled 911, straight into crazy town?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Equal odds on whether that was due to the tap water or Dexcool.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

I've successfully made it to the half-century mark today. Go me. To celebrate I guess I'll go to work.

Congrats. Time to consider trading the Focus for a Corvette, then doing nothing but parking it in the Corvette-only row at Pavilions and waxing it with a baby diaper.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

And then promptly crashing it at a Cars and Coffee because some 16 year old girl sneezed but you thought she was winking at you, so you did a siqqq powerslide into a group of on-lookers.

Nah, the people in that row are all scared to actually use the loud pedal for fear of hurting the car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Prepare to be flooded by Hondas and Mustangs. Oh, and lots and lots of modded econobox Nissans

At the big one here in AZ (the aforementioned Scottsdale Pavilions) the crowd is partly dependent upon time of day. During the daylight hours it trends heavily towards classic American muscle in its varied forms, usually with baby-boomer owners. The type of people who will throw a fit if you call their ERA or Factory Five Cobra a "kit". The later it gets, the more you get the ricer/drift crowd, which is also when the police enforcement starts cranking up a bit.

Plenty of legitimately cool cars in all categories, though, especially during auction week.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I cannot eat sushi. Its a texture thing.

I will eat rolls all loving day, but I can't do nigiri / sashimi because of this. The closest I can get is there's a local chain of conveyor-belt sushi restaurants that does a roll with crab meat, wrapped in salmon, and topped with avocado, which is loving delicious. Even then I prefer it at one location over the others because they make it smaller, so I'm not trying to wrangle a massive piece of uncooked salmon at once.

They also do tempura-battered jalapeno stuffed with crab and topped with spicy mayo / eel sauce. Could eat those all loving day and then die of a heart attack.

MustardFacial: Do not buy a 280ZX. Go older, go newer if you dare, but don't get a 280ZX.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

driguy posted:

I know the place you are talking about and I think it's pretty loving good. Not as good as the stuff in Japan, mind you, but close enough. I've taken my gf and her sons there, everyone liked it better than the other places they had been to before.

Yeah, I've rarely pulled anything off of that belt that I haven't liked, and the price is right. I also love the fact that they actually portion it down to reasonable sizes, when every big sushi place here seems to want to only give you giant loving plates. It's usually just my wife and I (or one other) when we get sushi and we both would rather get a little bit of a bunch of rolls, instead of a lot of just two or three.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

Why not? What's wrong with a 280Z?

280Z is fine. 280ZX makes less power, weighs more, has an overly complex interior, has an awful fuel injection setup, and an awful ignition setup. Both are unreliable and lovely even when working.

If you wanted to gut the whole loving thing it might be better but at that point you could do the same to a 280Z and still have a better car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

May have been. I didn't try old starter + new terminals, so it's entirely possible the old starter was also bad. For my own happiness, I choose to believe that.

This is the same logic I used when I replaced a fuel pump on my Volvo 240, only to discover that the fuse that powered the ECM had a bad holder. (Common problem but mine had already been replaced by the PO so I never considered it.)

I still maintain that pump was bad :pseudo:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mafoose posted:

Show me where the bad datto touched you.

I'm an s30 guy at heart, but I'll let you in on a few secrets. The stripper 79/80 ZXs are actually lighter than the 78 280z. They also use the exact same drivetrain as the late (78-78) 280zs, same efi system, and made the same power. The lower power number on the plaque comes from dyno standard differences between sae gross and sae net.

1980 ZXs got updated transmissions (-80 5 speeds are weak), with a gearing revision again in 1981 and a switch to a high compression, better flowing head, and o2 sensor feedback in the efi. The biggest driving differences between a Z (s30) and ZX (s130) come from the ZX having rack and pinion steering and semi-trailing rear suspension. It's true though, they do feel less sporty than the earlier cars, but come loaded with power everything and a cushier suspension.
ZXs are also much more aerodynamic than Zs (stock for stock).

Even with all the "improvements", I'd still prefer a Z.
(But I'd love an 82+ ZX turbo for a DD)

My wife had a 79, which eventually went to my youngest brother. That thing was a never ending source of fuel leaks, coolant leaks, ignition problems, and emissions trouble. It would also vapor lock if it got too warm.

Just to loving spite us, the drat thing had a master cylinder failure the day the people who ended up buying it came to inspect it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Because AI has never been one to run jokes into the ground.

SHUT THE gently caress UP ZORDON

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

That's the ZX you're thinking of.

Nah, the ZX could be two-seater or 2+2. The two-seater ones still look better than the 2+2s - Nissan didn't figure out how to make a non-janky-as-gently caress 2+2 Z until the Z32.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jamal posted:

Merchants have to pay a higher fee when you use a credit card or a debit card as credit. Those reward points and cash back don't all just come straight from the cc company.

Yep - but unless a given merchant actually offers me a significantly better price to go cash / debit instead, I'm going to keep running credit. Gas stations seem to be one of the only businesses that routinely offer cash / credit pricing, but I've never found a gas station that has cash pricing even close to being the same as the 3% I get back on gas purchases.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lost it at "MEDIOCRE".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What the hell happened up there :stare:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

alternate.eago posted:

Hmm, that lift looks interesting, I'll have to look into it further.

I'd also take a look at the Ranger Quick Jack - seems like it'd be easier to work around, and it's a fair bit cheaper too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My neighbor restores VW's. I let him use half my driveway because he's got so many of the drat things, I think they're cool and I'm a nice guy. Phoenix Metro had a pretty wicked storm last night. Microbursts and all

Yeah, it was pretty nasty. Apparently it was blowing hard enough at home that it knocked my 3-year-old down, and while I was driving home from work I think Loop 202 was temporarily reclassified as a river.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, are we talking hose for bleeding the brakes, or hose for the actual pressure? Biiiiig difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul, I found your new plate:

Alternatively, someone in AZ needs to buy a Pinto.

• Locked thread