Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lemonslol posted:

I would spend 15 dollars on this server if it meant an increase in fun.

Sometimes I think i'd be better off paying for a sub and playing on a progression server instead.

Its tough, there's no goldilocks server for me. 1999 is a little too cold but everything else is way way way too hot. 1999 is the closest to warm but its a little too far, when it comes to things like spell timers I mean comeon.

But then all other private servers are 100x exp rate and everybody spawns in the same zone. Progression servers are better but still have a lot of things that are just a little too much for me, like having teleporters at the docks.

No joke I actually checked p1999's website to see if I could toss them a :tenbux: donation to get an xp boost or something, but no dice. On the bright side I just heard they actually got the okay from the current EQ licence holders to run 1999 legally as a non-commercial fan project, so its good to know there's no legal chance of being shut down ( like so many other sweet fan projects ) but that kinda guarantees that they can't take any kind of payment and they have to be pretty strongly against RMT. I think RMT itself is kinda dumb though. I wouldn't mind paying p99 to help them maintain their servers but paying some random internet dude is just not my thing.

Oh well, I'm kinda enjoying the brutality of it all. I've long wanted a dark souls MMO and in some ways EQ is actually the closest we've probably come. Drop everything where you die and have to get there to get it back, permanent losses, easy to get murdered, etc. The combat just doesn't compare, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Sometimes I think i'd be better off paying for a sub and playing on a progression server instead.

Its tough, there's no goldilocks server for me. 1999 is a little too cold but everything else is way way way too hot. 1999 is the closest to warm but its a little too far, when it comes to things like spell timers I mean comeon.

But then all other private servers are 100x exp rate and everybody spawns in the same zone. Progression servers are better but still have a lot of things that are just a little too much for me, like having teleporters at the docks.

No joke I actually checked p1999's website to see if I could toss them a :tenbux: donation to get an xp boost or something, but no dice. On the bright side I just heard they actually got the okay from the current EQ licence holders to run 1999 legally as a non-commercial fan project, so its good to know there's no legal chance of being shut down ( like so many other sweet fan projects ) but that kinda guarantees that they can't take any kind of payment and they have to be pretty strongly against RMT. I think RMT itself is kinda dumb though. I wouldn't mind paying p99 to help them maintain their servers but paying some random internet dude is just not my thing.

Oh well, I'm kinda enjoying the brutality of it all. I've long wanted a dark souls MMO and in some ways EQ is actually the closest we've probably come. Drop everything where you die and have to get there to get it back, permanent losses, easy to get murdered, etc. The combat just doesn't compare, but yeah.

That's the reason I came back to p99. The new servers don't do it for me, I needed something in between. I didn't like everyone boxing armies of mages, I didn't like EXP pots in the store, I did like having maps, and being able to accomplish things in 1 hour intervals, global chat channels so I don't feel alone, and that everyone was starting all together. I decided on p99 though because I figured since they split the two servers one of them will inevitably die, and I didn't want to be on the dead one. It seems like every time eq1 does a progression server they do great for the first 6 months, and then after PoP everyone that is left is the same 4 guilds pushing the server to current.

I'm just hoping I stay, Shaman isn't as fun as it was when I made the character, I feel like I want something critical make or break it importance level, Warrior sounds like I will burn out in 30 hours of being level 12, and I don't like Cleric. I also can't imagine leveling through Oasis again, that zone makes me cringe when I step in it, but as far as I know it's the one with the best exp and most people at that level. I think that for me EQ starts around level 35, and everything until then is just filler. Perhaps Enchanter is the way to go..

e: if anyone has a guild I can join that has more than 6 people online it would help a lot.

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 12, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lemonslol posted:

That's the reason I came back to p99. The new servers don't do it for me, I needed something in between. I didn't like everyone boxing armies of mages, I didn't like EXP pots in the store, I did like having maps, and being able to accomplish things in 1 hour intervals, global chat channels so I don't feel alone, and that everyone was starting all together. I decided on p99 though because I figured since they split the two servers one of them will inevitably die, and I didn't want to be on the dead one. It seems like every time eq1 does a progression server they do great for the first 6 months, and then after PoP everyone that is left is the same 4 guilds pushing the server to current.

I'm just hoping I stay, Shaman isn't as fun as it was when I made the character, I feel like I want something critical make or break it importance level, Warrior sounds like I will burn out in 30 hours of being level 12, and I don't like Cleric. I also can't imagine leveling through Oasis again, that zone makes me cringe when I step in it, but as far as I know it's the one with the best exp and most people at that level. I think that for me EQ starts around level 35, and everything until then is just filler. Perhaps Enchanter is the way to go..

Yeah, people boxing armies of mages is a huge turn-off for me, and I like that p99 is against boxing. I'm too lazy to bother so I don't want everybody else having a leg up on me :cheeky: I know that's kinda selfish but... welp.

Yeah that's also a problem with progression servers, it'd have to progress slowly. You get in early with vanilla and you're there for most of it and have a great time, but then as more and more expansions drop the player base dies out and moves to the other progression server when it restarts.

Its funny, if you look at the live EQ server populations, the two progression servers are maxed round the clock but pretty much every other server is completely dead. The guys who hold the license should be looking into how to step back some of the changes made to the game, although I'm not sure if doing custom development is even something feasible for them or if they're just one of those companies that hosts the servers and collects the checks. They just dropped a new xpac not too long ago though right?

I'd say definitely roll Shaman or Enchanter. Fuuuuck playing a warrior, dude, no way in hell. You'll hate yourself. Only roll a warrior if you already have a max level char and have no life.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd say definitely roll Shaman or Enchanter. Fuuuuck playing a warrior, dude, no way in hell. You'll hate yourself. Only roll a warrior if you already have a max level char and have no life.

Heeey, what does that say about me? :v:

Enchanters are lots of fun, too. They get a ton of spells (more than you'll need to get), everybody needs one for the clarity/crowd control, and when you don't have time to group you can charm some mob and solo for a bit. Personally, I found grouping with decent pullers made my job a little boring, but mezzes become crucial in higher level zones.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Heeey, what does that say about me? :v:
You and integ are exactly who I was thinking about when I was talking about how terrible it is to have a war as a first character. It took you what, 2-3 years to get 60? Integ quit at 55 and has a 60 rogue now instead.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

TouchToneDialing posted:

The exact same thing happened to me too. I lost all my plat but I got all my items back.

I dont know why it would have been different for you.

Can you tell me which GM you dealt with and do you have the thread/conversation saved anywhere? Or even just your in-game name and when it happened so I can bring it up maybe.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
All you guys who aren't quite satisfied with 1999 should give Shards of Dalaya a try. It's alright as long as you can stand monsters running through walls because there's no pathing, or every other monster past the normal 1-65 leveling ones having summon because the devs hate kiting or something. The player base is small, but you can dual box. I played it for a while, but got tired of it mainly because of the two reasons mentioned, and because the client upgrade that will maybe fix the first issue is always a year away. Not exactly the most glowing recommendation, but it can be fun.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 13, 2015

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
RMT makes sense to me (though I have not done it) because even when I played regularly it was maybe 10 hours a week. It would be cool to have stuff like an manastone, fungi, or rogue epic because as a casual player there is essentially zero chance of ever getting those. RMT is also frankly too expensive in my opinion, $100 for a fungi or whatever ($125 for 100k is at least three times less than the last time I looked) isn't really something I can justify, especially now that I log in like once a month, and especially when the likelihood of a ban seems pretty high.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Mercury_Storm posted:

All you guys who aren't quite satisfied with 1999 should give Shards of Dalaya a try. It's alright as long as you can stand monsters running through walls because there's no pathing, or every other monster past the normal 1-65 leveling ones having summon because the devs hate kiting or something. The player base is small, but you can dual box. I played it for a while, but got tired of it mainly because of the two reasons mentioned, and because the client upgrade that will maybe fix the first issue is always a year away. Not exactly the most glowing recommendation, but it can be fun.

Good goon presence (for now) but to be completely blunt with you the game's been dying for years. Right now it feels like there's nobody at the helm of the server and none of the people working on it really give a poo poo. 2.5 is always right around the corner but I'll believe it when I see it. There is a lot of good content like you said but 65+ can be...frustrating to say the least.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Mercury_Storm posted:

no i already beat that game in 2007

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Would any goons on blue have experience kiting Renux from the rogue epic quest?

I still need to grab the book from hate (died trying awhile back due to being impatient and getting caught during a full spawn) but that should not be too hard - just a question of who still raids the old world planes these days?

And about those planes, I have yet to raid one of them. I feel like I am really missing out having joined the server so close to Velious. I wish Re-cycle server would come soon.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Ramulack posted:

Would any goons on blue have experience kiting Renux from the rogue epic quest?

I still need to grab the book from hate (died trying awhile back due to being impatient and getting caught during a full spawn) but that should not be too hard - just a question of who still raids the old world planes these days?

And about those planes, I have yet to raid one of them. I feel like I am really missing out having joined the server so close to Velious. I wish Re-cycle server would come soon.

I've done it plenty of times. Wiz is the best for this due to having snare + infinite click aggro in Staff of Temp Flux, but any class that can snare and hold aggro decently will do for a kite partner. Level 55+ is good to keep snare resists from getting too annoying but it can be done with a lower level partner as well if you're patient.

People still do at least partial hate clears for epic drops off Maestro/Inny so that's going to be your best bet. Both hate and fear will get revamped eventually as that's a Velious Era change (happens before Luclin release) which will probably renew interest in the zones. Until then, there's no good reason to be up there as armor drops/quests in Velious are waaaay better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

So being a 16 druid I'm looking at the Testament of Vanear quest. I just went to Highpass Hold and found the secret area with all the smugglers (didn't know about this before, even though I've been through highpass many times, very cool)

Although now I'm realizing the guy (Dyllin Starsine) is a 6-8 hour rare spawn with no placeholder. :v:

Wow, I haven't had to camp a real time rare spawn mob since FFXI's NMs. On the one hand that's kinda exciting but on the other hand :effort:

With blue being pretty popular and this being a pretty popular quest, what are the odds of me ever actually seeing this guy and getting a shot at it? Should I just give up and buy the item instead? I'd much rather earn the quest myself, but if its going to take me weeks of camping then gently caress it. On the other hand while its a popular item its also kinda lower level and most people are probably wearing raid gear and velious poo poo instead now? I dunno if I should bother or not.

Probably want to grab a few more levels first to make it easier to kill him at any rate, but I'm just not sure how to go about this.

I mean if I log in and see somebody kill him then I can go "okay check back 6 hours from now" but if I log in and just never see him, do I really have to camp for up to 6 hours to hopefully see this guy? Its been forever since I've done this kinda camping so I'm not sure what the reality of it looks like.

I know raids have a rotation but that doesn't apply to rare mobs right? :shobon:

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Zaphod42 posted:

So being a 16 druid I'm looking at the Testament of Vanear quest. I just went to Highpass Hold and found the secret area with all the smugglers (didn't know about this before, even though I've been through highpass many times, very cool)

Although now I'm realizing the guy (Dyllin Starsine) is a 6-8 hour rare spawn with no placeholder. :v:

Wow, I haven't had to camp a real time rare spawn mob since FFXI's NMs. On the one hand that's kinda exciting but on the other hand :effort:

With blue being pretty popular and this being a pretty popular quest, what are the odds of me ever actually seeing this guy and getting a shot at it? Should I just give up and buy the item instead? I'd much rather earn the quest myself, but if its going to take me weeks of camping then gently caress it. On the other hand while its a popular item its also kinda lower level and most people are probably wearing raid gear and velious poo poo instead now? I dunno if I should bother or not.

Probably want to grab a few more levels first to make it easier to kill him at any rate, but I'm just not sure how to go about this.

I mean if I log in and see somebody kill him then I can go "okay check back 6 hours from now" but if I log in and just never see him, do I really have to camp for up to 6 hours to hopefully see this guy? Its been forever since I've done this kinda camping so I'm not sure what the reality of it looks like.

I know raids have a rotation but that doesn't apply to rare mobs right? :shobon:

Odds are decent you'll find him. A friend of mine whose a bit of an alt-aholic has gotten several testaments. He'd just check on the camp if he was passing through that area, and found Dylin chilling there a surprising number of times with no one around. I don't imagine most people would snipe him if there was a lower level druid sitting there.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Pilsner posted:

I also don't see how RMT is such a big problem. What I'm truly baffled about is that people pay hundreds of dollars for items on an emulated EQ server..... come on! Oh well, it's your :10bux:

Is it really worse just because it's an emulation? I paid 80 dollars for an executioner's axe on live from ebay in 1999 when i was 16, and I can assure you it was a huge waste of money even then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bybus Slago posted:

Odds are decent you'll find him. A friend of mine whose a bit of an alt-aholic has gotten several testaments. He'd just check on the camp if he was passing through that area, and found Dylin chilling there a surprising number of times with no one around. I don't imagine most people would snipe him if there was a lower level druid sitting there.

Cool, good to know. I won't camp him 24/7 or anything but yeah, I'll check in from time to time.

Probably try to push to 19 first actually, then I can just tele over when I feel like it, and it'll make soloing him way easier if some smugglers agro.

Havelock Ellis
Oct 21, 2010

Yes...hmmm.
Managed to get my gear transferred on to my warrior (I know it's a slog but I like warrior ok :colbert: ). Is anyone able to craft a set of large banded? Char name is Drut, need all pieces except chest and head atm.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Cool, good to know. I won't camp him 24/7 or anything but yeah, I'll check in from time to time.

Probably try to push to 19 first actually, then I can just tele over when I feel like it, and it'll make soloing him way easier if some smugglers agro.

hey I just dinged 19. What's your ign?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lemonslol posted:

hey I just dinged 19. What's your ign?

Druid's name is Byrch.

Still only 16 myself so I've got a bit to go before I'll be 19, sorry if I made it sound like I was 18.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Poked my head into Tower of Frozen Shadow on my Ranger. First two floors seem pretty cool - there's a slippery floor around a pit that's pretty annoying to pull around without levitate.

Floor 2 was full of casters, some of which charmed me during my pulls. Overall, I got keyed to 3 in about an hour. Exp was ok, but I'm sure SolA is much faster with a group.

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
I have a 16 or 17 or so Shaman on blue I'd like to dust off. Of the Ogre variety.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Best place to grind 6-12? Blackburrow? I've been trying EC/WC and it's kicking my rear end.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Anyone want to play together duo or group on Sunday from 9am-7:30PM ? I'm level 19 now but I should be 20 by Sunday. I'm a Shaman

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Canuckistan posted:

Best place to grind 6-12? Blackburrow? I've been trying EC/WC and it's kicking my rear end.

Probaby BB or CB, yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Trying to do charm kiting but it feels like my charms break too fast to be effective. I probably just need to practice.

Canuckistan posted:

Between the quests and the 24/7 groups Crushbone is probably as good as it gets, but BB is a close second if you don't feel like travelling.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

lemonslol posted:

Anyone want to play together duo or group on Sunday from 9am-7:30PM ? I'm level 19 now but I should be 20 by Sunday. I'm a Shaman

I have a 20 iksar monk and may be down depending on how hungover.

/friend Steeks/Magen/Vindre and shoot me a tell

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Are bards nerfed to poo poo like they were in SOD?

For reference:

You could only play two songs at any given time, so there was no stacking, it made being a bard suck. I might come to this server, if the bards are like, actual EVERQUEST 1 BARDS

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

MageMage posted:

Are bards nerfed to poo poo like they were in SOD?

For reference:

You could only play two songs at any given time, so there was no stacking, it made being a bard suck. I might come to this server, if the bards are like, actual EVERQUEST 1 BARDS

I don't know why they wouldn't be. I was with a pretty good bard last night and he had three songs sometimes four twisting... which must have sucked because it was like three hours straight.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

MageMage posted:

if the bards are like, actual EVERQUEST 1 BARDS

considering that's the whole point of the server, I think you're good to go

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
I am completely interested but I am having trouble finding Titanium. I own all the expansions up to planes of power, will that work?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

MageMage posted:

I am completely interested but I am having trouble finding Titanium. I own all the expansions up to planes of power, will that work?

There's a pirate website you'll want to you to snag it. It's available there. That client is the only client supported.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

MageMage posted:

https://kat.cr/everquest-titanium-t1359241.html

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

Thank you :)

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

While I'm downloading it, is there a heavy good presence on Red?

Also, what is the most important resist for PVP? SV Magic? I ask because bards can pick just about any diety and I notice there are some diety-specific items and I'm wondering what would be best in the long run?

MageMage fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 16, 2015

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

MageMage posted:

While I'm downloading it, is there a heavy good presence on Red?

Also, what is the most important resist for PVP? SV Magic? I ask because bards can pick just about any diety and I notice there are some diety-specific items and I'm wondering what would be best in the long run?

Sporadic presence.

Magic saves till 120-130 worn sounds about right last time i played red.

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005
RMT profits are just amplified by red, especially when a power player quits, or a power player IS the RMTer. Some people sell poo poo cheap, I have heard of people paying 8$ per 1k red plat. I saw someone pay $750 for a Tstaff and fungi on red(at the time, equivalent to 240k + 55k raw plat sales) but finding someone to pay out 240k raw plat for a tstaff is almost impossible because anyone with that plat will have it already. Prices are funky, raw plat is more stable then items. As long as MMORPGs exist where people can buy tradeable items it will happen, You will have your neckbeards who can spend 20 hours straight playing a game getting the best items, gold/plat whatever. Then you will have the casual players who work daily, but lets say they bring home 80k a year or something. It would take them weeks/months to get a certain expensive item by farming plat or items to sell, when they can buy it from just a portion of a days pay check worth.

Anyway off that subject...Dire wolf stalker down, Tizmak meat done, Stormfeather owned, Now for the almost-easy part, lodizal. Then will finally have my eyepatch on p99, On live I was a monk so I never did the quest. Did it on beta out of boredom, and for a self buffed rogue, its haste is nice. On top of that, for a SK/Pally they can chain bash as long as they have a 41% haste item + captain nalots up. Meaning as long as you don't miss a bash, that caster ain't gating home. It was even funnier when the double stun stuff was going off like crazy. People on red were double stunned 90% of the time and locked down.

ps bring back buff timers! I have aego/glades, focus/manical str etc no idea what the timers are. GTT etc is great, but when you logout timers keep ticking so doesn't do much the next day.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pwnz0r posted:

RMT profits are just amplified by red, especially when a power player quits, or a power player IS the RMTer. Some people sell poo poo cheap, I have heard of people paying 8$ per 1k red plat. I saw someone pay $750 for a Tstaff and fungi on red(at the time, equivalent to 240k + 55k raw plat sales) but finding someone to pay out 240k raw plat for a tstaff is almost impossible because anyone with that plat will have it already. Prices are funky, raw plat is more stable then items. As long as MMORPGs exist where people can buy tradeable items it will happen, You will have your neckbeards who can spend 20 hours straight playing a game getting the best items, gold/plat whatever. Then you will have the casual players who work daily, but lets say they bring home 80k a year or something. It would take them weeks/months to get a certain expensive item by farming plat or items to sell, when they can buy it from just a portion of a days pay check worth.

Anyway off that subject...Dire wolf stalker down, Tizmak meat done, Stormfeather owned, Now for the almost-easy part, lodizal. Then will finally have my eyepatch on p99, On live I was a monk so I never did the quest. Did it on beta out of boredom, and for a self buffed rogue, its haste is nice. On top of that, for a SK/Pally they can chain bash as long as they have a 41% haste item + captain nalots up. Meaning as long as you don't miss a bash, that caster ain't gating home. It was even funnier when the double stun stuff was going off like crazy. People on red were double stunned 90% of the time and locked down.

ps bring back buff timers! I have aego/glades, focus/manical str etc no idea what the timers are. GTT etc is great, but when you logout timers keep ticking so doesn't do much the next day.

I wish someone would let me spend a portion of my days paycheck on plat/powerleveling/items/accounts. It just seems like too big of a risk to go on one of the known RMT websites, and I took a look at those trade logs, and how they can track down everything, and that doesn't sound fun either. I would hate to drop a hundred dollars and get banned the next day. but I would love to be able to play an hour or three after work doing something cool as opposed to soloing crocodiles.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Banned for RMT then acquitted. I'm free, pras Braknar!

insulated staircase fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 16, 2015

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Just rolled an alt on red because I didn't feel like soloing today. Anyone on this? It seems kind of funny/fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

Was going to make a character on blue to get a "feel" for it, and said gently caress it, and rolled on red. I rather be able to grief people.

I am in as Lahara on Red