Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

raej posted:

Is there a way to mirror my Windows 7 PC to my FIreTV box?

Maybe? FireTV supports Miracast, your Windows 7 PC hypothetically might support it but probably doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I currently have 3 chromecasts in my house and I'm adding another tv. Considering a fire stick since it would be the only thing I could stream amazon prime video stuff on (thought I have an HTPC I could always fall back on).

All of my use case right now is casting Plex, youtube, netflix, and PBS kids. Love how it works. I don't particularly want another remote as all my components are located on a server rack in the basement.

It sounds like I should just get another chromecast, curious if there is any compelling reason to get a fire stick. I might just be so stuck in the "chromecast is a dumb stick that I just fling stuff at" mentality to see the upside of one of the fire devices.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

dreesemonkey posted:

I currently have 3 chromecasts in my house and I'm adding another tv. Considering a fire stick since it would be the only thing I could stream amazon prime video stuff on (thought I have an HTPC I could always fall back on).

All of my use case right now is casting Plex, youtube, netflix, and PBS kids. Love how it works. I don't particularly want another remote as all my components are located on a server rack in the basement.

It sounds like I should just get another chromecast, curious if there is any compelling reason to get a fire stick. I might just be so stuck in the "chromecast is a dumb stick that I just fling stuff at" mentality to see the upside of one of the fire devices.

Honestly, I'd recommend the new $50 Roku stick over the Fire Stick in your situation. That way you can have one device that can stream Amazon Prime stuff and you could control it with their phone app instead of the included remote (Fire Stick also has a remote app but it isn't as advanced as the Roku app)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 30, 2016

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Call Me Charlie posted:

Honestly, I'd recommend the new $50 Roku stick over the Fire Stick in your situation. That way you can have one device that can stream Amazon Prime stuff and you could control it with their phone app instead of the included remote (Fire Stick also has a remote app but it isn't as advanced as the Roku app)

Thanks, I took your advice and ordered one. I've always heard good things about the various Roku products so I'm excited to try it out.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Has anyone ever purchased a UFC ppv thru their fire TV app? How was it?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
My one experience was awful. It wouldn't let me rewind the event at all, and was pretty buggy.

That was in February off of a firetv stick. I'm not sure if it's gotten better.

The reviews are pretty poo poo too.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

TLG James posted:

My one experience was awful. It wouldn't let me rewind the event at all, and was pretty buggy.

That was in February off of a firetv stick. I'm not sure if it's gotten better.

The reviews are pretty poo poo too.

I ended up using it their Xbox One app, which performed well.

Now something really important, can I play Android games on this firetv box, like final fantasy tactics?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

always be closing posted:

Now something really important, can I play Android games on this firetv box, like final fantasy tactics?

Sideload PPSSPP and go hog wild

http://www.ppsspp.org/downloads.html

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
My fire stick randomly totally reset itself the other day. I looked it up and I guess not changing some setting in kodi was to blame because it ran out of space and glitched itself out. Just a warning for anyone using kodi... look up the solution.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
There's a major update on the eve of the new hardware launch. The biggest news is Netflix and HBO support for the voice search.

quote:

Amazon today announced new features are coming to the best-selling Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. These features will be enabled automatically as part of a free, over-the-air software update currently being delivered to customers. Through this update, customers can now easily use their voice to search for favorite content, find the best subscription deals, and see recommendations for popular programming from apps including Netflix, HBO GO and, coming soon, HBO NOW.

“Customers have told us they love having access to the wide selection of apps, games, and Alexa skills on Amazon Fire TV, and they love how easy it is to find their favorite shows with universal voice search,” said Marc Whitten, Vice President, Amazon Fire TV. “Now, we’re making it easier than ever for customers to find their favorite content with universal voice search across 75 apps and channels, and a new, simple way to see recommendations from Netflix, HBO GO, and HBO NOW right on the home screen.”

New features coming to all Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick customers starting today include:

Universal Search expanded to over 75 apps and channels. Use your voice to search across 75+ apps and channels, including Netflix. With support for universal search across more apps and content providers than any other streaming media player, Fire TV makes it easy to find and watch your favorite TV shows and movies. In addition, if a TV show or movie is available on multiple apps, Fire TV will now show you viewing options – watch, stream, rent, or purchase – so you can choose an app or channel based on convenience and value.

Customized content that’s easy to find. With Fire TV, you don’t have to launch multiple apps to see what’s new or get recommendations. Now, subscribers to popular providers like Netflix or HBO can quickly see personalized recommendations in custom rows available directly from the Fire TV home page. Fire TV gives customers a fast, easy way to access content they want with custom rows for popular apps and channels, including HBO, Netflix, and more in the coming months.

Alexa voice control for Amazon Video. Using just your voice, Alexa support for Amazon Video now lets you advance or go back in a video any amount of time you specify. Say “skip ahead 2 minutes” to jump past the opening credits. Miss something because you were interrupted? Just try “rewind 30 seconds.” Ready for the next episode? Just say “next.”

Sports Updates. Using Alexa, just say “give me my sports update” to see the latest scores and game info from your favorite sports teams right from your Fire TV. To select your favorite sports teams, simply go to Settings within the Alexa app, using a browser or your Fire tablet, iOS or Android device.

“At Netflix, we are always seeking new ways to help connect people with stories they’ll love,” said Scott Mirer, Vice President of device partner ecosystem at Netflix. “Now, Fire TV customers have more ways to discover great TV shows and movies on Netflix through personalized recommendations available in a custom row right on the home page or through universal voice search – making it more convenient for them to find their favorite show on Netflix.”

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2199806

The fact that Alexa can now control playback when it comes to Amazon Video makes me think that they could possibly bring Echo style always listening mics to the box itself instead of having a push to talk microphone on the remote. In theory, they'd only have to place two to three mics inside since you're in front of your tv (and your box). It's not like the Echo where they have to worry about people being behind it or directly to the side.

But who knows, I've also heard rumblings about an OTA tuner/support. It's anybody's guess whether they'll try to build that into the box or sell some type of USB dongle. (if it's true)

I'll rewrite the OP and create a new thread when everything is announced.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 7, 2016

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Call Me Charlie posted:

The fact that Alexa can now control playback when it comes to Amazon Video makes me think that they could possibly be bring Echo style always listening mics to the box itself instead of having a push to talk microphone on the remote. In theory, they'd only have to place two-three mics inside since you're in front of your tv (and your box). It's not like the Echo where they have to worry about people being behind it or directly to the side.

That would be nice since I use my Harmony remote exclusively.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's a major update on the eve of the new hardware launch. The biggest news is Netflix and HBO support for the voice search.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2199806

The fact that Alexa can now control playback when it comes to Amazon Video makes me think that they could possibly be bring Echo style always listening mics to the box itself instead of having a push to talk microphone on the remote. In theory, they'd only have to place two-three mics inside since you're in front of your tv (and your box). It's not like the Echo where they have to worry about people being behind it or directly to the side.

But who knows, I've also heard rumblings about an OTA tuner/support. It's anybody's guess whether they'll try to build that into the box or sell some type of USB dongle. (if it's true)

I'll rewrite the OP and create a new thread when everything is announced.

Is this not coming to the first gen boxes, or is it just a dumb staged roll out?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Maneki Neko posted:

Is this not coming to the first gen boxes, or is it just a dumb staged roll out?

Staged roll out.

But my box says it was last updated in June and I already have the new search/recommendations/alexa controls. So they may have updated an individual component instead of a full system upgrade.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I have a Fire TV. All I want to do is install the app for kids TV channel we have here in Australia so my kid can watch his shows using the Fire TV.

Obviously the Fire TV doesn't have the app natively built in otherwise I wouldn't be here. Is it possible to do this whole "sideloading" thing that everyone is talking about? I've installed adb or whatever it's called and installed Kodi on the Fire TV using it, but that's as far as I've gotten. What are my next steps? Do I have to side-load the Play store and then install it via that or are there other options? (I tried installing the Play Store and it came up with some "you are not authorised on this device" message and I just gave up)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

xcore posted:

I have a Fire TV. All I want to do is install the app for kids TV channel we have here in Australia so my kid can watch his shows using the Fire TV.

Obviously the Fire TV doesn't have the app natively built in otherwise I wouldn't be here. Is it possible to do this whole "sideloading" thing that everyone is talking about? I've installed adb or whatever it's called and installed Kodi on the Fire TV using it, but that's as far as I've gotten. What are my next steps? Do I have to side-load the Play store and then install it via that or are there other options? (I tried installing the Play Store and it came up with some "you are not authorised on this device" message and I just gave up)

That's pretty much it. If the app requires Google Play Services, you'd have to root the box and install Google Play to get the app to work.

And there's a chance that the app won't be remote friendly.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Is there any web browser that works reliably on the Fire Stick for streaming video or say putting weather radar or a Twitter feed? I tried sideloading FireFox and Opera without luck, spend a tiny bit Googling and could not find anything recent and just gave up.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Three Olives posted:

Is there any web browser that works reliably on the Fire Stick for streaming video or say putting weather radar or a Twitter feed? I tried sideloading FireFox and Opera without luck, spend a tiny bit Googling and could not find anything recent and just gave up.

You may have some success with Dolphin. As long as it's a site that doesn't has restrictions on mobile streams, you should be able to watch a flash stream. It's doesn't work that well since you'll have to use something like Remote Mouse For Fire TV to navigate and the fire tv onscreen keyboard gets in the way all the time but it's something you can use in a pinch. Don't expect to regularly web browse on it.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 22, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

You may have some success with Dolphin. As long as it's a site that doesn't has restrictions on mobile streams, you should be able to watch a flash stream. It's doesn't work that well since you'll have to use something like Remote Mouse For Fire TV to navigate and the fire tv onscreen keyboard gets in the way all the time but it's something you can use in a pinch. Don't expect to regularly web browse on it.

I haven't found a good weather radar that is compatible with the Fire TV Stick, seems restricted to the Fire TV. I just need to get a Fire TV, sadly my discretionary budget of stupid tech poo poo I don't need is currently tied up in 4 Echos dots, a new soundbar and the dimmers I have yet to install on my binge the last two months on my home automation system.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
New Fire TV Stick has launched.

Still $39 - Now includes the voice remote. Quad core processor. Still 1 GB of RAM. Dual band wifi.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV9RDK...2b4b170150d7bd1

Also comes with some freebies.

quote:

Buyers of the all-new Fire TV Stick 2 will receive several extra freebies. For starters, Amazon is giving buyers a $10 credit that can be used to purchase or rent content from Amazon Video. Customers will also receive 1 month of Sling TV, which is a nice bump up from the standard 7-day trial, and 2 months of Hulu, which is a big bump up from the regular 7-day trial. Once you activate the Fire TV Stick 2, you’ll receive an email from Amazon with promotional codes for all three freebies. The promotion ends October 31st, so be sure you setup and login to your new Fire TV Stick 2 prior to that date to receive the email from Amazon. The Hulu and Sling TV offers are for new customers of those services only, but the $10 Amazon Video credit is for everyone.

http://www.aftvnews.com/new-fire-tv-stick-2-comes-with-10-amazon-video-credit-and-other-freebies/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
new thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794902

------------------

This is weird. Guess the new UI and 3rd gen Fire TV are close than we expected.

http://www.aftvnews.com/new-standalone-amazon-music-app-arrives-on-the-fire-tv-ahead-of-ui-refresh/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 20, 2016

• Locked thread