Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know anything about the those apps, but can you update them from within the app? After the update on my FTV Stick, I had to open Firestarter and make it check for an update because it kept crashing and restarting itself over and over.

Wukong is freshly installed, I have no idea how to install Amazon's appstore on my phone right now to update Remote Mouse but I'll figure it out later. But I was trying to update Live Extra with sideloading because it just closes itself out inside Fire TV when it tries to update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A real Spotify app has finally launched. And it seems like you don't need a Premium account to use it.

http://smile.amazon.com/Spotify/dp/B00N1XIY5Q

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Call Me Charlie posted:

A real Spotify app has finally launched. And it seems like you don't need a Premium account to use it.

http://smile.amazon.com/Spotify/dp/B00N1XIY5Q

Wow, pretty terrible reviews so far...

I just ordered a Fire TV, and will be loading it with Kodi. I've got a hard drive hooked up to my router, so the router is acting as a DLNA server. My TV is extremely limited in its ability to play back files, and my Xbox 360 doesn't have very good file support either, so a good chunk of videos are not playable with the current setup. On my PC, Kodi could handle basically any file type I threw at it, so I'm hoping it will do the same on the Fire TV.

Does the remote have the ability to be programmed to control TV volume, etc? It is nice to only need to use one remote at a time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

CaseFace McGee posted:

Does the remote have the ability to be programmed to control TV volume, etc? It is nice to only need to use one remote at a time.

No.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CaseFace McGee posted:

Wow, pretty terrible reviews so far...

I just ordered a Fire TV, and will be loading it with Kodi. I've got a hard drive hooked up to my router, so the router is acting as a DLNA server. My TV is extremely limited in its ability to play back files, and my Xbox 360 doesn't have very good file support either, so a good chunk of videos are not playable with the current setup. On my PC, Kodi could handle basically any file type I threw at it, so I'm hoping it will do the same on the Fire TV.

I've been using Spotify app since it launched, no problems.

You can't program the Fire TV remote to control TV volume but you can use a FLIRC to program a universal remote into controlling the Fire TV.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

CaseFace McGee posted:

Sort of...

You can go into Audio Options while playing a film etc and boost or lower the Db via the "volume amplification".

It's the little speaker icon along the bar when you hit the middle button. More button clicks than using your TV remote, but you're not using the TV remote.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Hamburlgar posted:

Sort of...

You can go into Audio Options while playing a film etc and boost or lower the Db via the "volume amplification".

It's the little speaker icon along the bar when you hit the middle button. More button clicks than using your TV remote, but you're not using the TV remote.

Did some poking around the Kodi wiki/forums, looks like those volume amp functions can be mapped to a remote button while playing fullscreen. As long as the TV/receiver volume is set high enough, the Kodi volume amplification can be turned down with the remote button remapping function without losing any sound quality. Close enough for what I'm looking for.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Alternative_keymaps_for_Fire_TV_remote

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
FLIRC would be much simpler. If there's a source on your universal remote you don't use, select it, plug the FLIRC into your computer, program the buttons on your remote to the butttons on the Fire TV, plug the FLIRC into your Fire TV and now you can use your universal remote to control it. I did that, for a limited time, with an old HP HTPC remote I had laying around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has anyone used the PSVue service with the Fire TV Stick? I'm thinking about getting rid of cable and switching to the Stick because it looks like it has all the streaming apps I need.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Plex added 4K support for their Fire TV app.

quote:

Plex now officially offers 4K support for second gen Amazon Fire TV devices, plus a new app for first-generation Fire TV users! In addition, we added support for video and photo playlists, and the ability to play even more music formats, with the help of your Plex Media Server.

_________

muscles like this? posted:

Has anyone used the PSVue service with the Fire TV Stick? I'm thinking about getting rid of cable and switching to the Stick because it looks like it has all the streaming apps I need.

I've been thinking about getting the trial. If it's like Sling TV or HBO Go, you may need the added oomph of the big Fire TV for a smooth experience.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I'm considering un-rooting my rooted 1st gen FireTV. Is a rooted FireTV still worth anything extra? I know you can't root it once it's been updated so I figure maybe there's some market for it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Can Kodi do 4k stuff yet?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Moved my Kodi installation over to the microsd card and boy is it nice to not get low space errors all the time.

TLG James posted:

Can Kodi do 4k stuff yet?

I'm pretty sure that sideloaded content is unable to do 4K due to the app needing permission to display in 4k (or something along those lines)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 23, 2016

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm going overseas and I'd like an alternative to lugging around a laptop and external HDD for watching stuff in the hotel which is what I normally do.

I was thinking I could take my Fire TV and a USB stick but I've done some googling and it appears the stick must be Fat32 which is useless for movies.

Will rooting my device and sideloading something let me do what I want? (currently have an unrooted FireTV 2)

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

I picked up a second hand Fire TV Stick but its registered to some random account to which I dont have the pin code. Ive tried loads of wrong codes but it just keeps letting me try - no reset after so many failed attempts. Is there any way of doing a factory reset via ADB?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
You could try holding right and back on the control for 10-15 seconds to see if that can force a factory reset. Otherwise you may have to call amazon or contact the person you bought the fire tv stick from.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

xcore posted:

I'm going overseas and I'd like an alternative to lugging around a laptop and external HDD for watching stuff in the hotel which is what I normally do.

I was thinking I could take my Fire TV and a USB stick but I've done some googling and it appears the stick must be Fat32 which is useless for movies.

Will rooting my device and sideloading something let me do what I want? (currently have an unrooted FireTV 2)

There's inexpensive "media hubs" out there that will give you a wifi hotspot, connectable to wired Ethernet (if desired) and, more importantly, one (or more) USB ports to jack external drives or flashdrives into. (The one I have is the HooToo Tripmate Nano, and is adequate for what I use it for - streaming music/video, and general file storage because I don't know of any terabyte MicroSD cards for my tablet yet :v:.) May or may not need a power adapter (same for external HDD), as some have batteries.

Depending on the hotel, the room's TV might be able to handle USB devices as media sources - this is not guaranteed if you get a universal replacement remote, as they don't always have the full button-set/code for replicating the media crap of the manufacturer's unit.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You could probably get a Chromecast and stream VLC from your phone's SD card

I'm not sure what the Fire brings to the equation over the Chromecast.

Actually, depending on the model you very likely have MHL, which means you can just push HDMI direct from the phone to the TV, without any middleware involved.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
Now that Alexa/Echo can control your Nest thermostat, has anyone found a way to get the Fire TV voice remote to do the same?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

raej posted:

Now that Alexa/Echo can control your Nest thermostat, has anyone found a way to get the Fire TV voice remote to do the same?

Fire TV has Alexa now so you should be able to just ask her with the voice remote. The only thing that doesn't work with the Fire TV Alexa is timers/alarms.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Can anyone report on the quality of Sony Vue on the latest Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick? I've read that the menu system is a little laggy on the stick?

Just wondering if the quality is significantly reduced compared to using the service on a Playstation 4, where I've read it's 1080p.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Fire TV has Alexa now so you should be able to just ask her with the voice remote. The only thing that doesn't work with the Fire TV Alexa is timers/alarms.

I've tried the "Find my connected devices" command, but was told nothing could be found. I searched for an Alexa app, but couldn't find one in the Amazon ecosystem. Is it something I would need to sideload?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

raej posted:

I've tried the "Find my connected devices" command, but was told nothing could be found. I searched for an Alexa app, but couldn't find one in the Amazon ecosystem. Is it something I would need to sideload?

If your Fire TV's on Fire OS 5, you have Alexa. No Alexa app needed. You don't even have to say Alexa to do commands since you tap it to activate the mic.

If you go to http://echo.amazon.com/ - you should be able to see your Fire TV under Settings -> Alexa Devices

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

You could probably get a Chromecast and stream VLC from your phone's SD card

I'm not sure what the Fire brings to the equation over the Chromecast.

Actually, depending on the model you very likely have MHL, which means you can just push HDMI direct from the phone to the TV, without any middleware involved.

I have a Chromecast so that might be a solution.

What's MHL and what do you mean by model? Model of TV or model of phone/device? I have a Nexus 5x and Nexus 10 tablet if that makes a difference. (a tablet solution would probably be better as it has more storage.)

raej
Sep 25, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

If your Fire TV's on Fire OS 5, you have Alexa. No Alexa app needed. You don't even have to say Alexa to do commands since you tap it to activate the mic.

If you go to http://echo.amazon.com/ - you should be able to see your Fire TV under Settings -> Alexa Devices

Aha! This was it, I did not know there was a website to go to for connecting things. Thanks!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

xcore posted:

I have a Chromecast so that might be a solution.

What's MHL and what do you mean by model? Model of TV or model of phone/device? I have a Nexus 5x and Nexus 10 tablet if that makes a difference. (a tablet solution would probably be better as it has more storage.)

I know some nexus tablets have had MHL in the past, just Google for it or search for "MHL cable" on Amazon they are usually under $15. It's basically HDMI out for your Android device.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's a strange one. Amazon broke Firestarter with the latest update but they also added the ability for sideloaded apps to appear on the front screen. So they're listening? In a weird monkey paw way.

quote:

A new Fire TV and Fire TV Stick software update, which makes it easier to get to both your sideloaded and official apps, will begin rolling out to both first and second generation devices soon. The new software update carries version number 5.0.5.1 and will finally allow sideloaded apps to appear in the “Recent” section of the Fire TV’s home screen. The update also adds two new ways to get to your Fire TV’s “App” section. You will now be able to double-press the Home button, on your Fire TV remote or game controller, to jump directly into your app library. Additionally, there is now a new “My Apps” shortcut in the popup that appears when you hold down the Home button.

http://www.aftvnews.com/software-update-5-0-5-1-brings-sideloaded-apps-to-the-fire-tv-home-screen-and-a-new-app-shortcut/

quote:

It appears that the new 5.0.5.1 Fire TV and Fire TV Stick software update is disabling FireStarter. The app remains on the Fire TV, but is removed from the “Apps” section and cannot be launched. The app is also removed from the “Manage Applications” section of the Settings menu. If you uninstall FireStarter using the ADB command adb uninstall de.belu.firestarter and then reinstall it, you will be able to launch the app. However, once you reboot the device, the app will once again be inaccessible.

http://www.aftvnews.com/firestarter-not-compatible-with-new-fire-tv-software-update-5-0-5-1/

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm tired of this nonsense, going to sell mine and get a Shield.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm tired of this nonsense, going to sell mine and get a Shield.

lol at spending $200 before the developer of firestarter gets his hands on the update

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can sell my FireTV for $150-200 up here in Canada. Amazon's back and forth on this stuff is annoying and I'm tired of farting around with it. If they don't want to release Prime apps for other platforms then that's their loss, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Gunslinger posted:

I can sell my FireTV for $150-200 up here in Canada. Amazon's back and forth on this stuff is annoying and I'm tired of farting around with it. If they don't want to release Prime apps for other platforms then that's their loss, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

My point was more that this could be a simple fix. The developer said on XDA that he hasn't gotten the update yet so he's not sure what they've done. Even if it's not a simple fix, you'll still be able to see sideloaded apps on the front page so that takes the sting off of losing Firestarter.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 4, 2016

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't really care if its a bug or intentional, I'm tired of the back and forth. When I first bought my FireTV I could see sideloaded apps in the Recent menu and all was well. We got Prime, Netflix and even Kodi for the odd thing from our own collection. Then they took that away. For awhile I had to do an ugly hack to get Kodi to run. One day Kodi was allowed onto the store and I was happy. Again Amazon took that away. In between all of this was a lot of ADB fuckery and time wasted testing what worked and what didn't. Then Firestarter appears and finally things appear to be ok. Now an update busts it (for whatever reason) and we're back to Kodi appearing in Recent until Amazon gets bored again. I'm sick of hearing from my GF that "its not working again" because she can't figure out how to load her silly vampire shows.

Anyways I'm selling it for $200 and already had a few bites so whatever, I'll be happy and Amazon can keep doing whatever the gently caress it wants.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't really care if its a bug or intentional, I'm tired of the back and forth. When I first bought my FireTV I could see sideloaded apps in the Recent menu and all was well. We got Prime, Netflix and even Kodi for the odd thing from our own collection. Then they took that away. For awhile I had to do an ugly hack to get Kodi to run. One day Kodi was allowed onto the store and I was happy. Again Amazon took that away. In between all of this was a lot of ADB fuckery and time wasted testing what worked and what didn't. Then Firestarter appears and finally things appear to be ok. Now an update busts it (for whatever reason) and we're back to Kodi appearing in Recent until Amazon gets bored again. I'm sick of hearing from my GF that "its not working again" because she can't figure out how to load her silly vampire shows.

Anyways I'm selling it for $200 and already had a few bites so whatever, I'll be happy and Amazon can keep doing whatever the gently caress it wants.

Yeah I still haven't gotten the mouse or adb sideloading to work again after that update. Also, HBO go only has sound and no video. This is after I did a factory reset. I'm so over it, I didn't buy a Fire TV to spend 4+ hours trying to debug it.

I'm really disappointed.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Gunslinger posted:

Eh, you're kinda mistaken. Sideloaded apps have never shown up in the recent menu. There was a glitch where if you had Kodi purchased on Amazon, the sideloaded version would show up in the recent menu. Once Amazon removed Kodi from their store, that glitch was gone. Llama was a really dirty way to open Kodi (it also had the side effect of putting garbage apps like Classic TV and Ikobo TV near the top of the charts) so it's not too shocking that Amazon broke it. And now, Amazon doesn't want people to bypass their ads UI so they broke Firestarter but added the concession of allowing sideloaded apps to show in the recent menu.

None of their moves are too shocking. They know their bread is buttered by piracy so they'll never mess with the core of Kodi or sideloading but they seem to be trying to get people back into line regarding their interface.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 4, 2016

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
It used to show up in Recent for me and it was before it was on the store /shrug. But I could be wrong because I've hosed with this thing so much that it all blends into the same pastiche. And now its back to that behavior again until Amazon decides to mess with it later on which I'm sure will happen in the future.

Anyways you wanted me to see your point but don't seem to be listening to mine - I don't really care about excuses or whats understandable, I just want it to work consistently (other people in the house need it to be) and I can't get that so I'm moving on. I liked my FireTV, the hardware is solid and I got a fair amount of use out of it but the inconsistency is annoying. I will stop trying to explain it now, I can't get any clearer than that and no one else likely cares anyway.

quote:

Yeah I still haven't gotten the mouse or adb sideloading to work again after that update. Also, HBO go only has sound and no video. This is after I did a factory reset. I'm so over it, I didn't buy a Fire TV to spend 4+ hours trying to debug it.

Don't even get me started about tolerating sub standard apps from providers. That's not Amazons fault for sure but its still annoying.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 4, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Gunslinger posted:

It used to show up in Recent for me and it was before it was on the store /shrug. But I could be wrong because I've hosed with this thing so much that it all blends into the same pastiche. And now its back to that behavior again until Amazon decides to mess with it later on which I'm sure will happen in the future.

Anyways you wanted me to see your point but don't seem to be listening to mine - I don't really care about excuses or whats understandable, I just want it to work consistently (other people in the house need it to be) and I can't get that so I'm moving on. I liked my FireTV, the hardware is solid and I got a fair amount of use out of it but the inconsistency is annoying. I will stop trying to explain it now, I can't get any clearer than that and no one else likely cares anyway.

I get your frustration. I'm in the same boat since I maintain all of the boxes for my entire family so when something goes wrong, I have 10+ people asking me to fix it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd just block the update and wait to see how everything's going to shake out. Either the developer fixes Firestarter or we're at the endgame where we can launch Kodi from the recent menu. Neither are the end of the world. (Also does Shield even have something like Firestarter?)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's the confirmation. It was blocked by name only. So the fix should be relatively easy (if you still want to use Firestarter)

quote:

XDA forum member jkchr1s has discovered that FireStarter is being explicitly disabled by name. After taking FireStarter’s open source code and compiling it into an identical app, but with a different package name, he discovered that the new clone app worked fine on the Fire TV and was not being disabled by the operating system. Some have suspected that FireStarter’s unconventional method of detecting remote home button presses, specifically its exploitation of internal ADB connections, was being detected as malicious behavior, resulting in the app being disabled. In reality, it appears to be far less sophisticated and FireStarter is just being picked out by name.

It’s unclear why Amazon has put FireStarter in its crosshairs. It could be as innocent as wanting to prevent FireStarter’s home button double-press function from interfering with their own newly added double-press feature, or as nefarious as not wanting Fire TV owners to have the option to bypass the Fire TV’s main interface, where Amazon makes money selling digital content and advertisements. I’ve reached out to Amazon for comments but have not received a response.

Many Fire TV owners primarily use FireStarter as an easier way to access their manually installed apps. Now that Amazon has fully supported sideloaded apps as equal citizens to official apps by displaying them in the Fire TV’s “Recent” list and “Apps” section, many FireStarter users have no need for the app. Regardless, it should be the user’s choice.

http://www.aftvnews.com/strong-evidence-that-amazon-has-blacklisted-firestarter-app-by-name-in-latest-fire-tv-update/

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Call Me Charlie posted:

(Also does Shield even have something like Firestarter?)

It does, Sideload Launcher, by none other than Chainfire.

I got sick of this crap too and gave my Gen1 FTV to my inlaws. Still have a couple of sticks, one of which I take with me when I travel and hook up to hotel TVs, but I couldn't be happier with a Shield TV. Got it for $150 with a free remote, and it's way less hassle than the FTV, with a much cleaner interface, and the performance difference is certainly noticeable.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm new to this. So how do I get apps to sideload without probably getting a virus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

either download the apk from the developers site or you can install the desired app on another device and use apkextractor from the play store to extract the apk

e: or you could get it from apkmirror

• Locked thread