Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SupahDren
Jul 19, 2002
My girlfriend, Ana, loves me.
Grimey Drawer

The Gunslinger posted:

I liked my FireTV, the hardware is solid and I got a fair amount of use out of it but the inconsistency is annoying. I will stop trying to explain it now, I can't get any clearer than that and no one else likely cares anyway.

Just quoting to say that I've been on the Fire TV bandwagon since really early on, and I'm pretty close to this same attitude. Stop. Changing. Things. I also don't care about why they're doing it. Stop. It really is great hardware, but I fear every drat update like it's a pox blanket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What? I totally enjoyed the hell out of the update(s) that made HDCP break when resuming from sleep mode!

Once they fixed that, it seems to have been pretty stable. I just use it for XBMC, Netflix and (apparently!) now that I've found out that it's Alexa-capable, Amazon Prime radio.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

SupahDren posted:

Just quoting to say that I've been on the Fire TV bandwagon since really early on, and I'm pretty close to this same attitude. Stop. Changing. Things. I also don't care about why they're doing it. Stop. It really is great hardware, but I fear every drat update like it's a pox blanket.

Yeah I can echo the same. Stop making us dance to sideload apps or where we can see them, I was really hoping for something more open and easy to add programs over the AppleTV I had before. If it weren't for my son being hooked on some of the content in Amazon Prime video, I would probably jump ship to a Shield for a Kodi/Hulu box.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SupahDren posted:

Eh, it seems like we're at the end game.

quote:

Now that we know what changes software update 5.0.5.1 makes on the surface, I began sifting through this update in more detail, as I usually do, to see if it hides any secrets below the surface. One thing I discovered is that Amazon explicitly showed Kodi some love with this update. There is a bit of new code, that’s literally called AddKodiToRecent, which runs after the new software update is installed. This code checks to see if Kodi is installed on the Fire TV and deliberately makes it so Kodi appears as the first item in the “Recent” list on the Fire TV home screen, regardless of when you last launched Kodi. No other app receives this special treatment and highlight. Now that Amazon has introduced an app blacklist, leaving Kodi users wondering if their beloved app is next on the chopping block, it’s reassuring to see Amazon explicitly do something positive for Fire TV owners who use Kodi.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-explicitly-shows-kodi-some-love-in-the-latest-fire-tv-software-update/

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
So did this AddKodiToRecent thing go away pretty quickly? I had Kodi in my recents for a couple days but now it's gone and the only way I can launch Kodi now is to delve into the apps management menu. I guess I need to figure out of Firestarter can still be reinstalled.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

I don't suppose anyone knows how I can get a working youtube kids app on the firetv?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So did this AddKodiToRecent thing go away pretty quickly? I had Kodi in my recents for a couple days but now it's gone and the only way I can launch Kodi now is to delve into the apps management menu. I guess I need to figure out of Firestarter can still be reinstalled.

Try this

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-get-kodi-to-show-up-on-the-home-screen-of-a-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

Some people had issues due to buying it from Amazon's store before Amazon deleted it.

deebo posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows how I can get a working youtube kids app on the firetv?

Grab the APK and sideload it is the best you can do. No idea if it would have remote support.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

Grab the APK and sideload it is the best you can do. No idea if it would have remote support.

Tried that but it says "YT Kids won't run without Google Play services, which are missing from your phone."

I'm guessing getting google play services working would be a bit of effort.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

deebo posted:

Tried that but it says "YT Kids won't run without Google Play services, which are missing from your phone."

I'm guessing getting google play services working would be a bit of effort.

I've never done it but you could google for/try gmscore, it's supposed to be floss play services

http://androidcommunity.com/microg-gmscore-will-run-google-apps-without-play-services-20151007/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there an app that will emulate a Chromecast for the FireTV? It looks like "YouMap" was valid for a couple months in 2015 and there's a bunch of ambiguous apps in their store but I'm not going to sift through them all

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Hadlock posted:

Is there an app that will emulate a Chromecast for the FireTV? It looks like "YouMap" was valid for a couple months in 2015 and there's a bunch of ambiguous apps in their store but I'm not going to sift through them all

What are you trying to cast? I know Youtube videos and stuff you can do out of the box, phone to ftv..

Other than that it looks like YouMap is the way to go even though you need to side load

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
New Alexa stuff coming soon (plus 4K YouTube support)

quote:

New features coming to Amazon Fire TV in the coming weeks include:

- Launch apps using Alexa—Say “Open HBO Now” or “Launch Hulu” into the Fire TV Voice Remote to instantly open the app
- Play Amazon Video and Add-On Subscription content from Starz, Showtime, and more using Alexa—Say “Play Interstellar,” or “Watch Veep” and get even easier access to your favorite TV shows and movies
- Find local movie show times via Alexa—Ask “What movies are playing nearby?” or “Where is The Jungle Book playing?” to find out what movies are playing in theatres near you or specific movie times
- YouTube 4K Ultra HD—Access YouTube’s full 4K library via the YouTube.com app on Amazon Fire TV when connected to a UHD-compatible TV
- Search for local businesses and restaurants using Alexa—Ask “What Mexican restaurants are nearby?” to find restaurants around you or ask “What time does the nearest bank close?” to get convenient information on businesses nearby
- Access Kindle e-books via Alexa—Say “Read The Nightingale” to listen to text-to-speech enabled books from your Kindle library through Amazon Fire TV

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2168940

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Anyone else randomly having trouble accessing SMB shares to Windows 10? I keep getting "invalid argument" errors in Kodi and SPMC.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

muscles like this? posted:

Has anyone used the PSVue service with the Fire TV Stick? I'm thinking about getting rid of cable and switching to the Stick because it looks like it has all the streaming apps I need.

It works fine in the sense that fine is a turd of an interface for Vue.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I have an Amazon Fire tv stick and the last two weeks have been fine running HBO now. However today I tried an episode (not live, an old episode of game of thrones), and it was stuttering like crazy. Speed test gave me 25mbps down and up, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The deal is probably just that HBOnow is a bad app.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

SMDFTB posted:

I have an Amazon Fire tv stick and the last two weeks have been fine running HBO now. However today I tried an episode (not live, an old episode of game of thrones), and it was stuttering like crazy. Speed test gave me 25mbps down and up, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

HBO go does this to me a lot and it's super annoying. Not Game of thrones but just last week tonight

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

Try this

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-get-kodi-to-show-up-on-the-home-screen-of-a-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

Some people had issues due to buying it from Amazon's store before Amazon deleted it.

Thanks. I finally got around to doing this and have kodi on both of my sticks now. I even updated 2 version numbers from an RC to the latest stable. yay.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

CubanMissile posted:

Anyone else randomly having trouble accessing SMB shares to Windows 10? I keep getting "invalid argument" errors in Kodi and SPMC.

SMB Shares on Windows 10 work differently than previous versions of Windows. I had a hell of a time getting shares to work in Kodi when I first changed over. I know they require whatever the PC's local account info is, a lot of people login to Win10 with one of those MS Live accounts or whatever.

Beyond that rather than choosing SMB share from the options I had to specify network location and enter in the location of the share. So it ended up being \\PCname\Sharefolder along with the PC local account and then then everything lists and views properly. Whenever I picked SMB share option when adding a source it would just timeout with an error. As I believe the old SMB:\\Name\folder way it addressed previously no longer is valid.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Just got this email.

Recent Software Update On Your Fire TV posted:

With your Fire TV Voice Remote or Fire TV Remote App, you can now launch apps with your voice. To quickly launch or switch between apps, just hold down the voice button and say:

Launch Netflix.
Open Hulu.

You can also instantly play movies and TV shows from Amazon Video. Just say:

Play the movie Interstellar.
Play the show Bosch.

Thinking of heading to the movie theater to catch the latest blockbuster? Alexa can help you discover what’s playing and check movie times. Just ask:

What movies are playing on Saturday?
Where is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows playing?
Give me showtimes for Warcraft.

Need to catch up on errands? Alexa can help you find local shops, restaurants, and other businesses near you. Try:

Where is the closest bank?
What are some top-rated restaurants nearby?
Find the hours for a nearby dry cleaner.

You can also listen to a great book with Alexa. Ask Alexa to read eligible text-to-speech enabled Kindle eBooks. Already reading a book on a Kindle e-reader, reading app, or Fire tablet? Alexa picks up right where you left off. To get started, try:

Read my Kindle book.
Read The Girl on the Train.

And I can confirm that it doesn't work with sideloaded apps like Kodi. It opens up the normal search but Kodi doesn't show up in the list of apps.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 16, 2016

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

thebushcommander posted:

SMB Shares on Windows 10 work differently than previous versions of Windows. I had a hell of a time getting shares to work in Kodi when I first changed over. I know they require whatever the PC's local account info is, a lot of people login to Win10 with one of those MS Live accounts or whatever.

Beyond that rather than choosing SMB share from the options I had to specify network location and enter in the location of the share. So it ended up being \\PCname\Sharefolder along with the PC local account and then then everything lists and views properly. Whenever I picked SMB share option when adding a source it would just timeout with an error. As I believe the old SMB:\\Name\folder way it addressed previously no longer is valid.

Can you give me an exact example of what path you used? I tried \\PCname\Sharefolder (with my information) and it couldn't find the path. I'm missing something. I remember paths used to be like smb:\\username@password:Pcname\Folder or something like that.

Pallando
Aug 15, 2001
WTF? I don't have stairs at my home!
I encountered an odd problem with the Netflix app on the 2nd generation FireTV, which leaves me stumped. Perhaps someone here can shed some light on it:

The situation:

I already own a 1st generation FireTV and a FireTV stick. They both work perfectly fine. In comes a new 4K TV and that gave me the perfect excuse to buy a 4K FireTV. I installed it and everything is fine except the Netflix menu, which looks like this:

It's only the menu. If you start a stream, everything looks fine.Every other app (Plex, Youtube, etc.) is working fine, the Amazon stuff is working.

Things I already tried:
-different HDMI cables
-different HDMI ports
-different TVs
-deleting and reinstalling the app
-a factory reset of the FireTV

The amazon support guy was also out of ideas and shipped me a new unit. Installed it and: the same problem. Now I'm starting to doubt myself. Has anyone seen something like that?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Pallando posted:

I encountered an odd problem with the Netflix app on the 2nd generation FireTV, which leaves me stumped. Perhaps someone here can shed some light on it:

The situation:

I already own a 1st generation FireTV and a FireTV stick. They both work perfectly fine. In comes a new 4K TV and that gave me the perfect excuse to buy a 4K FireTV. I installed it and everything is fine except the Netflix menu, which looks like this:

It's only the menu. If you start a stream, everything looks fine.Every other app (Plex, Youtube, etc.) is working fine, the Amazon stuff is working.

Things I already tried:
-different HDMI cables
-different HDMI ports
-different TVs
-deleting and reinstalling the app
-a factory reset of the FireTV

The amazon support guy was also out of ideas and shipped me a new unit. Installed it and: the same problem. Now I'm starting to doubt myself. Has anyone seen something like that?

Yeah, it seems to be a known issue with 4k tvs. People are reporting that updating the box to 5.2.1.0 fixes the problem

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireTV/comments/4o5czq/netflix_scrambled_issue_on_brand_new_fire_tv/

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

CubanMissile posted:

Can you give me an exact example of what path you used? I tried \\PCname\Sharefolder (with my information) and it couldn't find the path. I'm missing something. I remember paths used to be like smb:\\username@password:Pcname\Folder or something like that.

I will check when I get home. When I set it up I added a file source and chose Network File System though, not SMB - I can't remember if I had to put the PC's network IP in the server address field or not, I may have.

Edit: Ok, so it was - smb:\\MY-PC\Share\Videos

Entered it via specify location. User/pass was local PC ones entered into box after it tried to connect. Trying to choose the SMB shares option results in time-out error.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 27, 2016

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I've had my FireTV 2 for about 5 months now and just had to replace the batteries in the remote. Is this normal? I barely ever even use it because my tv remote works fine using that hdmi cec or whatever.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I got the original stick on preorder and still haven't changed the remote battery so 5 months def doesn't sound right

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I've replaced my batteries in my FTV1 remote 4 times now and I've had it around two years now, so yeah mine is on par with that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I was going through batteries every few weeks on my fire stick until I learned you have to put the thing to sleep when you're not using it-had the same set in there for a few months now.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SMDFTB posted:

I was going through batteries every few weeks on my fire stick until I learned you have to put the thing to sleep when you're not using it-had the same set in there for a few months now.

The Stick remote is Bluetooth, I know. I expect if the Stick is awake, it's sending out stay-awake signals every so often, so a small yet continuing drain on the battery.

I guess. :v:

Can't remember when I swapped in new batteries in mine, IIRC I was having issues and pulled them on the off chance it was low power. (Turns out to be the Stick was slogging through a large upgrade or something.)

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
It's kind of annoying that there isn't even a light on the remote to know if the batteries are dead or what.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TLG James posted:

It's kind of annoying that there isn't even a light on the remote to know if the batteries are dead or what.

I've always gotten a "hey, change your batteries dummy" warning

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

phosdex posted:

I've had my FireTV 2 for about 5 months now and just had to replace the batteries in the remote. Is this normal? I barely ever even use it because my tv remote works fine using that hdmi cec or whatever.

I read a couple weeks ago that the remotes firmware can be updated from the system menu and that there was a firmware build on the remote that abnormally drained the battery in some remotes. It doesn't auto-update, you need to manually apply the firmware from the menu if it's available. I've had my First Gen FTV for well over a year and have replaced batteries once so far and I use it daily. My ftv-stick in the bedroom is approx 8 months old and have no replaced batteries, though I don't use it everyday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My Fire TV (2nd gen) killed its remote batteries within a week of me getting it.

After a few firmware updates it was a bit better, but it still feels like I go through them a lot.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 28, 2016

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Think my remote is up to date. Don't see any pending updates. Guess I'll have to see what happens in a few months.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My fire tv box won't boot up and the phone support guy tells me that I am hosed because I got it more than a year ago. I guess there is a hidden hardware subscription of $99/16 months . :-/

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

withak posted:

My fire tv box won't boot up and the phone support guy tells me that I am hosed because I got it more than a year ago. I guess there is a hidden hardware subscription of $99/16 months . :-/

Check to see if you have extended warranty coverage through your credit card (if that's how you bought it).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's just a regular debit card.

Edit: It doesn't have that.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 3, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

withak posted:

What do you mean by not booting up? Frozen on the Amazon logo? No light and no video signal? (I ask because mine had an issue where it was frozen on the Amazon logo and it turned out to be a HDCP handshake issue. All I had to do was unplug the HDMI cord from my TV and plug it back in)

Try asking to be transferred to the Fire TV support section. Even if they won't send you a free replacement, they should offer you a deal on a refurbished box.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My recents menu was empty when I turned it on today so I restarted it through the settings menu. When it rebooted it took me to the login screen like it was a brand new device. When I logged in all of the menus only had gray placeholder icons in them. I restarted again and got the login screen again, and again a few more times. The internet connection is fine and I could play amazon videos on my ipad over the same wifi.

I called support and the guy had me unplug it from the wall and tv and plug it back in again. It never finished booting up then, it just sits on the animated amazon fire tv logo forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
Is there a way to mirror my Windows 7 PC to my FIreTV box?

• Locked thread