Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Golden Goat posted:

71 per cent of bed makers consider themselves happy

This one is particularly outstanding because it uses the weirdest false attribution I've ever seen. 62% of people who don't make the bed hate their jobs, rent apartments, avoid the gym and wake up tired! Therefore, making your bed is the key to success! Or, OR, people who are who have lovely jobs can't afford to buy a house, are more likely to be depressed and maybe don't have time to go to gym.

Most of these are predicated on the idea that people who can't access luxuries (which home ownership, free time and the ability to make tithes ARE) are doing it because they're stubborn, not unable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Set up a source of free income for yourself."

"Now do it again, 5-10 times!"

I wish there'd been more focus on these two, because both are hella good ideas. I don't know why I never thought of that.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

#5 Marry your best friend

"Being married gives you a higher purpose for being productive. You are no longer a lone ranger, but have another person who relies on you."

Yeah, getting married and listing "so another person can depend on me" as a good reason to get married is terrible loving reason :psyduck:

Also lol at #10 "Stop consuming the news, they all have an agenda, wake up sheeple!"

I don't know...maybe just do what normal well informed people do and diversify where you get your news from rather than sticking with just one source for it?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Handsome Ralph posted:

"Being married gives you a higher purpose for being productive. You are no longer a lone ranger, but have another person who relies on you."

Yeah, getting married and listing "so another person can depend on me" as a good reason to get married is terrible loving reason :psyduck:

Also lol at #10 "Stop consuming the news, they all have an agenda, wake up sheeple!"

I don't know...maybe just do what normal well informed people do and diversify where you get your news from rather than sticking with just one source for it?

if fox news 24/7/365 is wrong, I don't want to be right

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

Ha, have you ever met someone who said their wife/husband wasn't their "best friend." It's like the most generic loving thing. They put that poo poo in diamond commercials it's so loving unoriginal.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha, have you ever met someone who said their wife/husband wasn't their "best friend." It's like the most generic loving thing. They put that poo poo in diamond commercials it's so loving unoriginal.

My wife isn't my best friend. She's my wife :shrug:

I don't bang my best friends, too much chance of things getting weird.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

RFC2324 posted:

My wife isn't my best friend. She's my wife :shrug:

I feel the same way and I get the impression others think I'm strange for it.
I have a best friend, I have a boyfriend. Love em both for different reasons.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cosima posted:

I feel the same way and I get the impression others think I'm strange for it.
I have a best friend, I have a boyfriend. Love em both for different reasons.

Also going to point out that no matter how great the marriage, sometimes you have to vent about the other person. This is why I prefer keeping my wife separate from my friends, and encourage her to keep her friends separate from me(as in I don't go hang out alone with them, not no contact). It keeps the lines that you need to be able to blow off steam open.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

blarzgh posted:

If you're criticizing Jerry Seinfeld's humor to maintain your position, you're on shaky ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Oh, so when a pansexual demiqueen named Trina Scott Pixie-legs handwaves one of the most successful comedians ever, Xe is being courageous?

gently caress, I only made it to 30 before I became out of touch.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Another random cute girl makes it to the frontpage doing faces during a make-up tutorial: http://imgur.com/gallery/Y4BKIPg

That's waaaay too much for imgur to handle. The "community" accuses basement virgins of upvoting a cute girl because they could never have her but the twist is that those accusing are also basement virgins as they also keep insulting her in every way imaginable. This time it's so bad that some of the top comments are just people utterly disgusted with all of this.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blarzgh posted:

Oh, so when a pansexual demiqueen named Trina Scott Pixie-legs handwaves one of the most successful comedians ever, Xe is being courageous?

Jerry Seinfeld loving sucks

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Jerry Seinfeld loving sucks

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

blarzgh posted:

You are way too touchy about this, Jerry wasn't even the funniest person on his own show.

And his standup was the worst part of each episode.

Puntification has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Apr 5, 2016

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I don't even like the show Seinfeld; I just believe that someone who was hugely popular and influential deserves a little deference, no matter what your opinion of them is.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Oh Jesus.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

blarzgh posted:

I don't even like the show Seinfeld; I just believe that someone who was hugely popular and influential deserves a little deference, no matter what your opinion of them is.

Have all my upvotes sir! Awesome puffin meme!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I have a better idea for discussion in this thread:
h ttp://i.imgur.com/Y4BKIPg.webm (edit:goddamn thats obnoxiously big.)

quote:

mysteryroach 589 points : 9 replies : 7 hours ago reply
She's pretty cute, it's not really interesting, but those goddamn comments make me want to gas all of you, some twice.

quote:

theREALVincentAdultman via Android891 points : 38 replies : 12 hours ago reply
Who sits in front of their camera doing stupid poo poo like this? Attention hungry idiots. I answered my own question.

quote:

blarzgh has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Apr 5, 2016

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

blarzgh posted:

I don't really follow that logic successful people can be fuckups with bad opinions.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Puntification posted:

I don't really follow that logic successful people can be fuckups with bad opinions.

If making mistakes and having bad opinions were the defining feature of a person, we'd all be absolutely worthless.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

blarzgh posted:

You know who else was hugely popular and influential?

That's right.

Nickelback.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

That's right. Nickelback.

Alright, let's all calm down here. Let's just ALL CALM DOWN!

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

blarzgh posted:

If making mistakes and having bad opinions were the defining feature of a person, we'd all be absolutely worthless.

It's like you're onto something there.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

That's right.

Nickelback.

:CHADWIN:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Were/are Nickelback influential :ohdear:?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

Were/are Nickelback influential :ohdear:?
They've influenced me to turn off the radio on a few occasions.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

HairyManling posted:

They've influenced me to turn off the radio on a few occasions.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

NotAnArtist posted:

if fox news 24/7/365 is wrong, I don't want to be right

don't worry, you never will be

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

blarzgh posted:

A couple counterpoints for you:
Bill Cosby
Ian Watkins
Jared Fogle

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

blarzgh posted:

His worth isn't dictated by whether we care about his opinions though, he's not a professional opinion-haver, his job is to make us laugh. I'm a Geneticist and acknowledge that James Watson has done more for the field than I am likely to ever do in my career but he's also a racist, sexist, out of touch piece of poo poo who's unironically proposed pro-eugenics arguments in public, so gently caress what he has to say, even if it's about science cos he's not published poo poo in ages.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Puntification posted:

His worth isn't dictated by whether we care about his opinions though, he's not a professional opinion-haver, his job is to make us laugh. I'm a Geneticist and acknowledge that James Watson has done more for the field than I am likely to ever do in my career but he's also a racist, sexist, out of touch piece of poo poo who's unironically proposed pro-eugenics arguments in public, so gently caress what he has to say, even if it's about science cos he's not published poo poo in ages.

His worth IS dictated by his opinions, tho, as humor is subjective, and entirely opinion based. His job is literally to keep up with current trends and the opinions of his audience, and then make jokes that fit into tho trends and opinions.

Comedy doesn't exist in a vacuum, and has everything to do with the opinions of society, while in science opinions are the last thing you want floating around.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

His worth IS dictated by his opinions, tho, as humor is subjective, and entirely opinion based. His job is literally to keep up with current trends and the opinions of his audience, and then make jokes that fit into tho trends and opinions.

Comedy doesn't exist in a vacuum, and has everything to do with the opinions of society, while in science opinions are the last thing you want floating around.

I agree with most of your post but I was drawing the distinction on account of the fact the opinion he had about oversensitive audiences wasn't part of a routine. But we can still acknowledge that he was involved in some good stuff once even if he's past it nowadays. Also plenty of opinions are allowed to float around in science, ideas and discussion are kind of a large part of progress being made, these ideas being applied outside of their context and used to justify lovely treatment of fellow human beings is the problem.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Puntification posted:

I agree with most of your post but I was drawing the distinction on account of the fact the opinion he had about oversensitive audiences wasn't part of a routine. But we can still acknowledge that he was involved in some good stuff once even if he's past it nowadays. Also plenty of opinions are allowed to float around in science, ideas and discussion are kind of a large part of progress being made, these ideas being applied outside of their context and used to justify lovely treatment of fellow human beings is the problem.

Again, comedy is subjective. I always hated him, he just wasn't ever funny to me. He got a show during a time when giving comedians sitcoms was a big thing(did you ever see Titus?) and somehow it was successful, even tho I never heard anyone actually laugh at Seinfeld himself(Kramer was always what everyone seemed to watch for)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

http://i.imgur.com/agiTmD5.webm

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
"Bacon" is the new "monkey cheese"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Palpek posted:

Another random cute girl makes it to the frontpage doing faces during a make-up tutorial: http://imgur.com/gallery/Y4BKIPg

That's waaaay too much for imgur to handle. The "community" accuses basement virgins of upvoting a cute girl because they could never have her but the twist is that those accusing are also basement virgins as they also keep insulting her in every way imaginable. This time it's so bad that some of the top comments are just people utterly disgusted with all of this.

This girl looks like a lot like Frances Bean Cobain. Also, that comments section is ungodly.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Puntification posted:

Oh, I get it; you're saying that the trillions of humans that have ever lived led complex and multifarious lives, each one with up to decades of experience that we could never hope to comprehend, having only our own for frame of reference, so the only reason to denounce and decry people on the internet for their flaws or misdeeds, is to fit in - to join the middle-school clique of 'right opinion havers' by systematically singling out other people for scorn? You're saying the point of judging other people is make sure you get a seat at the Internet Cool Kid's Table, right?

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
The imgur is coming from inside the thread. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

Again, comedy is subjective. I always hated him, he just wasn't ever funny to me. He got a show during a time when giving comedians sitcoms was a big thing(did you ever see Titus?) and somehow it was successful, even tho I never heard anyone actually laugh at Seinfeld himself(Kramer was always what everyone seemed to watch for)

I watched curb your enthusiasm before seinfield and that's the reason I gave the show a chance, because I don't like Jerry himself but I feel I gotta give him props for being the reason the show got made even if he's bad in it.

blarzgh posted:

Oh, I get it; you're saying that the trillions of humans that have ever lived led complex and multifarious lives, each one with up to decades of experience that we could never hope to comprehend, having only our own for frame of reference, so the only reason to denounce and decry people on the internet for their flaws or misdeeds, is to fit in - to join the middle-school clique of 'right opinion havers' by systematically singling out other people for scorn? You're saying the point of judging other people is make sure you get a seat at the Internet Cool Kid's Table, right?

My point is simple, appeals to authority are dumb; a millionaire who bombs with a poo poo joke about smart phone use being like a gay french king concludes the audience is wrong is not someone I need to respect because he's not reflecting on decades of experience I could never hope to comprehend he's being a bitter loving baby.

• Locked thread