Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

She's a g

a g

a girl :ohdear:

Who got death and rape threats when they removed NSFW content from comments.

I used to go on imgur, for those 10 minutes of morning nonsense, but the reddit-like racism/sexism and the inside joke crap began to outweigh the interesting/cute stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

Who got death and rape threats when they removed NSFW content from comments.

Definitely one of the creepier parts of that "community" is their obsession with her. In good times they act like she's literally jesus and as soon as things turn sour.. well, yeah.

I think the reason I'm still visiting imgur (apart from occasional funny pictures) is morbid curiosity. Nearly every day you'll find outrageous poo poo on the front page (admittedly, often straight from reddit) and it's like a zoo of lovely people in there, so it has the same appeal as the PYF AUG thread just that you're instead watching them in their natural habitat :allears:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Your Computer posted:

I think the reason I'm still visiting imgur (apart from occasional funny pictures) is morbid curiosity. Nearly every day you'll find outrageous poo poo on the front page (admittedly, often straight from reddit) and it's like a zoo of lovely people in there, so it has the same appeal as the PYF AUG thread just that you're instead watching them in their natural habitat :allears:

That and also boredom :v: Though I've become much more fond of random imgur websites and usersub because ooh boy can you find treasurers of grossness and idiocy in there!

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
When Imgur camp is less AUG than Goon camp - Houston, we have a problem.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well they have a no outside alcohol rule and gender separated sleeping camps. :v:

At least imgur management realised they have to treat their attendees like children I guess.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

op was sad there aren't enough pictures here so

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I think it's just really loving sad that these people take so much drat pride in being part of a "community" on an image hosting site. Like they just lose their goddamn minds when someone off the internet mentions imgur.

So to the person who posts next:
"Hyuck! You're a poster on the comedy and satire site Something Awful's forums! OMG wanna go out and get married like right now???!!! We can bond over a picture of the Get Out frog and a cake in the shape of goatse!"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I like the get out frog :ohdear:

The funniest thing is that it's such a lovely and awful community.

That also reminds me that imgur does have a community forum somewhere. I'm phone posting but might be worth checking out sometime.

https://community.imgur.com/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Has read a book about European slavery but somehow still doesn't know North Africans aren't black

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Pretty standard bunch of internet dweebs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is pretty old but let's never forget what makes its way to the front page of Imgur on a regular basis.

FEMALES

Dude who came up with that probably listens to David Aurini, nodding his head polishing his seven guns.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

kinmik posted:

I think it's just really loving sad that these people take so much drat pride in being part of a "community" on an image hosting site. Like they just lose their goddamn minds when someone off the internet mentions imgur.

So to the person who posts next:
"Hyuck! You're a poster on the comedy and satire site Something Awful's forums! OMG wanna go out and get married like right now???!!! We can bond over a picture of the Get Out frog and a cake in the shape of goatse!"

Spoken like someone that will never find true happiness.

jorty
May 11, 2015

grump_dog.jpg
Lipstick Apathy

RareAcumen posted:

This is pretty old but let's never forget what makes its way to the front page of Imgur on a regular basis.

FEMALES

Dude who came up with that probably listens to David Aurini, nodding his head polishing his seven guns.

Just looked at the comments for this submission and I'm surprised that some people actually pointed out how wrong this post was. It's not enough to make up for the fact that almost 8000 people gave this a positive vote but it's something.

[ gallery link for comments/vote scores: http://imgur.com/tZguF4Z ]

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bleughmacaroni posted:

Just looked at the comments for this submission and I'm surprised that some people actually pointed out how wrong this post was. It's not enough to make up for the fact that almost 8000 people gave this a positive vote but it's something.

[ gallery link for comments/vote scores: http://imgur.com/tZguF4Z ]

This seems to be the norm for Imgur nowadays. Racist poo poo gets a free ride to the front page, normal humans slam it in the comments for existing. Unless they can justify why those drat uppity blacks don't deserve respect or women are prudish whores!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

RareAcumen posted:

This seems to be the norm for Imgur nowadays. Racist poo poo gets a free ride to the front page, normal humans slam it in the comments for existing. Unless they can justify why those drat uppity blacks don't deserve respect or women are prudish whores!

Yup. I've always found it so interesting how there seem to be 2 different populations doing the voting and the commenting.

Also goddamn that post, how can you be that loving dense. I don't think he makes a single point that is not laughably wrong.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

FEMALES

I think number 16 is the important one to notice here.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

its true tho, all men are butthat fedora wearers

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Yup. I've always found it so interesting how there seem to be 2 different populations doing the voting and the commenting.

Also goddamn that post, how can you be that loving dense. I don't think he makes a single point that is not laughably wrong.

It's amazing how they can simultaneously have two different personalities fighting each other in the community at any given time. One that hates SJWs but likes tumblr dump posts, one that hates blacks but loves black twitter, 'Feminism is bad because look at this woman who did a bad thing!' also redheadMonday.'

Rondette posted:

I think number 16 is the important one to notice here.

'Isn't it a bit weird how you never see any women called Nice Guys? Why don't you check your privilege there, ladies?'

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Do emergency crews ever do #5 anymore? I thought that practice died out after WWII.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

kinmik posted:

If I was on a date with somebody who namedropped Something Awful my reaction would be pretty much the opposite of "marry me"

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
If I was a date with someone who namedropped Something Awful, I'd tell them all about how gross and awful goons are. :v:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

FEMALES

More like polishing his one gun, on account of how no sane woman would ever have sex with him.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
If i was on a date with someone who namedropped SA I'd 1) be kinda impressed since here in France I don't think there are that many members, 2) not really give a poo poo because contrary to popular belief that doesn't really say a lot about you. :marc:

I wanted to find some bad imgur poo poo to add to this terrible post but they are over capacity. :argh:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

"hey wanna come over to my place for coffee and to climb my stairs ;)"

"do you mean sex? well let me share with u my fav GE Cafe quote."

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

Do emergency crews ever do #5 anymore? I thought that practice died out after WWII.

Modern triage is gender-blind and basically age-blind, prioritizing injured people who have a good chance of survival over the non-injured and the likely mortally wounded.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

No, they don't. People who do triage are trained to divvy casualties up into three categories: those who'll live regardless, those who'll die regardless, and those your help might save. I'm sure plenty of rescue workers make snap emotional calls about who to grab first when they see a man, woman, and child laying injured, but I would bet a decent sum that you won't find a training program out there that contains the phrase, "women and children first."

Edit: Also, I don't get #1, at all. When I'm jogging at night and I see someone coming the other way I cross the street because I don't want to freak them out. It just seems polite. Is the OP somehow implying that encountering a lone woman at night is cause for alarm? What's she going to do, mug you? Spontaneously accuse you of rape for being with five-hundred feet of her after 8pm? Ugh. Too much cognitive dissonance.

Skippy McPants has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Aug 10, 2015

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

No, they don't. People who do triage are trained to divvy casualties up into three categories: those who'll live regardless, those who'll die regardless, and those your help might save. I'm sure plenty of rescue workers make snap emotional calls about who to grab first when they see a man, woman, and child laying injured, but I would bet a decent sum that you won't find a training program out there that contains the phrase, "women and children first."

Edit: Also, I don't get #1, at all. When I'm jogging at night and I see someone coming the other way I cross the street because I don't want to freak them out. It just seems polite. Is the OP somehow implying that encountering a lone woman at night is cause for alarm? What's she going to do, mug you? Spontaneously accuse you of rape for being with five-hundred feet of her after 8pm?

Crossing the street when you see them approach probably makes them think you find them weird or threatening fyi.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Slime posted:

Crossing the street when you see them approach probably makes them think you find them weird or threatening fyi.

If you're just wandering along and it's a well lit sidewalk or something sure, but who crosses the street to avoid anybody in that situation?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is all old stuff but I'm kinda just transferring stuff over here from other threads.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kUVAlwB

quote:

This is reddit's new/old CEO Ellen Pao. She's the person responsible for Victoria Taylor's termination. The trigger for this action was an AMA with Rev. Jesse Jackson. Reddit users are typically much better informed than the anchors of MSM networks so the questions were pretty tough. Jackson got called out for what he really is. The top question stated Jackson is “an immoral, hate-filled race baiter that has figured out how to manipulate the political system for your own gain.” Jackson was not prepared for hard questions and the AMA went badly, according to Pao. So Ms. Taylor was the scapegoat. You decide for yourself if her firing was justified. This may be the end of Chairman Pao's (what reddit calls her now) tenure as CEO. She recently raised controversy by shutting down some of the less politically correct subreddits.

They compared her to Hitler, by way of posting his office titled something along the lines of 'Chairman Pao's office probably' I can't remember the perfect wording.

Is any of that true?

The images are also links to the gallery, I would've done the same for the first one but it is seven times too fuckmongous for SA tables to not timg it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

RareAcumen posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/kUVAlwB

They compared her to Hitler, by way of posting his office titled something along the lines of 'Chairman Pao's office probably' I can't remember the perfect wording.

The best part of Pao being fired is shortly afterwards, one of Reddit's former CEOs posted explaining that Pao had been the main reasoning that a lot of Reddit's hyper-racist/sexist/hate subreddits were kept open under the excuse of "free speech". Since she was fired, most of them have now been closed. :unsmigghh:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What a loss.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

1stGear posted:

The best part of Pao being fired is shortly afterwards, one of Reddit's former CEOs posted explaining that Pao had been the main reasoning that a lot of Reddit's hyper-racist/sexist/hate subreddits were kept open under the excuse of "free speech". Since she was fired, most of them have now been closed. :unsmigghh:

That's rad. I thought it was the fact that threads couldn't keep to themselves and went out to go harass people that got them axed.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

1stGear posted:

And of course the reason why Victoria Taylor was fired in the first place wasn't because of the "hard questions" against Sharpton (which pretty much amounted to "Can you tell me why you're a stupid doo doo-head who smells bad?"), but rather because there was a disagreement about changing the format of future AMAs to draw in more traffic. Which in turn was necessitated because Reddit has garnered a poo poo reputation that means that barely anybody wants to advertise with them anymore. The whole "story" is really just smug wank top to bottom.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Perestroika posted:

And of course the reason why Victoria Taylor was fired in the first place wasn't because of the "hard questions" against Sharpton (which pretty much amounted to "Can you tell me why you're a stupid doo doo-head who smells bad?"), but rather because there was a disagreement about changing the format of future AMAs to draw in more traffic. Which in turn was necessitated because Reddit has garnered a poo poo reputation that means that barely anybody wants to advertise with them anymore. The whole "story" is really just smug wank top to bottom.

Sorry for posting Reddit in the imgur thread, Tetracube.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

When Imgur camp is less AUG than Goon camp - Houston, we have a problem.

A/U/G

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also, guys can still ask girls on dates. It's just creepy if you have no social skills and act goony as hell.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RareAcumen posted:

Sorry for posting Reddit in the imgur thread, Tetracube.

Nah I don't care. We could probably do with a reddit thread though

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Imgur is just reddit lite so this is pretty apropriate, the two are so closely linked.

1stGear posted:

Yesss, I was so happy when I learned that, it is the best.´

E: Camp Imgur continues to disappoint

http://imgur.com/gallery/tfZpW

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Aug 11, 2015

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

If I was on a date with somebody who namedropped Something Awful my reaction would be pretty much the opposite of "marry me"

"You admit to going to the website that I voluntarily mod, eww!"

Dude you can't surprise them with that poo poo later when it's too late for them to run away, it's immoral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

It's actually even weirder. If you find an incredibly sexist post it'll undoubtedly have comments decrying the poster of being a shithead, but if you find a post about gender equality or the like you'll have a wall of posts calling the poster a slut whore tumblr feminazi. I guess it shows how unified their "community" is :shrug: Whenever an opinion has the majority, just like reddit, the opposing opinion quickly gets downvoted to the "bad comment section" and hidden from regular viewing.

• Locked thread