Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

Do emergency crews ever do #5 anymore? I thought that practice died out after WWII.
Last year I was on a train that suffered a toilet overflow. A river of human waste flowed down the aisle, people ran to the opposite end of the car, some clambering over seats to escape, and at one point someone yelled "women and children first!" Obviously this means that society has reached the point that men are considered expendable and expected to throw themselves down and drown in a quarter of an inch of sewage to save the lives of others.

Thank you for giving me an appropriate time to share this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Once a goon approached me in real life and it was scary

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Much like browsing the Post Yer Pic thread, Goonmeets can be really good for your self-esteem.

Until you realize you are at a goonmeet.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Imgur's duality isn't really that strange. Images get on the front page from being popular in the user submitted gallery. The user submitted gallery is mostly MRAs, racists, homophobes, etc. and the front page crowd is...well still that but a lot less.

So a lovely opinion gets popular in the back channels, makes it to the popular part of the site, and is then slammed in the comments.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I think they must have brought in ringers for those photos at Camp. I have seen any trace of pony, furry, or anime paraphernalia yet (or at the very least extremely minimal).

What are they really up to :ohdear:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Telemaze posted:

"You admit to going to the website that I voluntarily mod, eww!"

Dude you can't surprise them with that poo poo later when it's too late for them to run away, it's immoral.

The idea of somebody spending a first date telling me about his favorite Internet community just doesn't appeal to me, sorry man

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The idea of somebody spending a first date telling me about his favorite Internet community just doesn't appeal to me, sorry man

That's some loving female privilege

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

My favorite internet community is you tubes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Here's a good one.

http://imgur.com/gallery/M8vU3FQ

quote:

I had Star Wars LEGOs, I had Harry Potter LEGOs, I had so many drat LEGOs, and now they are in the hands of a snotty little poo poo who doesn't know what they're doing with them. I am a 21 year old who thinks nobody is too old for LEGOs..I am upset.

Fifty-six hundred human beings upvoted this.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'd be kinda mad too if my mom told me that. poo poo at least five it to family, I've got like 8 cousins of various ages :colbert:

However I would not make an imgur post about it cause after 5 min I'd have been over it.

Grraarrgghh posted:

Much like browsing the Post Yer Pic thread, Goonmeets can be really good for your self-esteem.

I dunno, turns out there are some good looking goons. You just gotta hope you're one of them :marc:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Here's a good one.

Questionable.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk posted:

I'd be kinda mad too if my mom told me that. poo poo at least five it to family, I've got like 8 cousins of various ages :colbert:

However I would not make an imgur post about it cause after 5 min I'd have been over it.

My mum gave away some (admittedly Chintzy but somewhat valuable- £30 a pop or so) Beatrix Potter figurines that I'd had since I was a kid without telling me to a Charity Shop.
I was pretty upset, but they had been unwrapped in a box for 20 years and I had no intention of displaying them ever again, and I would probably have sold them.

However, I love my parents and they have really helped me out in so many ways financially that I can't be too bitter about it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

To me it's mostly that he calls the kid next door a 'snotty little poo poo' for not being able to appreciate Lego on a deep and mature level.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Puppy Galaxy posted:

My favorite internet community is you tubes.

Look at this scrub who's never visited my Xena the Warrior Princess webring.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Here's a good one.

Uhhhh, that is a lovely thing to do. Just because I haven't touched my Star Wars toys that have been sitting in the attic since I was ten years old, doesn't mean I'd want to find out they had been given away without my permission.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Phlegmish posted:

To me it's mostly that he calls the kid next door a 'snotty little poo poo' for not being able to appreciate Lego on a deep and mature level.

Oh god, you're right :laffo:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Uhhhh, that is a lovely thing to do. Just because I haven't touched my Star Wars toys that have been sitting in the attic since I was ten years old, doesn't mean I'd want to find out they had been given away without my permission.

Yeah but would you make a post on imgur about it?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I'm guessing imgur camp was a total comedy bust and nothing worthwhile happened to make fun of?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

A/U/G

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

This is a good gimmick, keep it up

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Aesop Poprock posted:

So I'm guessing imgur camp was a total comedy bust and nothing worthwhile happened to make fun of?

It wasn't the Tumblrcon trainwreck everyone hoped it would be. I'm guessing because Camp Imgur was organized and run by people who had their poo poo together, and it involved camping instead of a hotel.

EDIT: I visited Imgur's front page to try and find some content. Surprising amount of screenshotted social media posts and old memes. Camp Imgur galleries which further reinforce my belief that Imgur got a bunch of white millennials nostalgic for summer camp to give them money. Then I saw this.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/6aYcH

Mental health and chronic illness slacktivism make me grumpy.

I brought my Drake has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Aug 11, 2015

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

queserasera posted:

It wasn't the Tumblrcon trainwreck everyone hoped it would be. I'm guessing because Camp Imgur was organized and run by people who had their poo poo together, and it involved camping instead of a hotel.

Dashcon was organized by literal teenagers and the people in charge of Tumblr told them straight up they wanted nothing to do with it and that they couldn't call it tumblrcon or tumblr-anything.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

queserasera posted:

Also they apparently knew they should treat their attendees like children and had some easy animations, no outside alcohol and sex separated sleeping.

I'm so disappointed. (Though some said there was some terrible wifi over there so you can still hope something will come outta it!)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

LOL PERIODS AMIRITE GUYS ?

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Aug 11, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Imgur really is the slacktivists haven, isn't it? Just victimize yourself through a meme and get a bunch of likes. Then you can feel like you accomplished something when you didn't do jack poo poo to solve the problem. There's no spreading awareness within a circlejerk.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"gently caress cancer." (+4127)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
http://imgur.com/gallery/y3E5q

Uggh, this is p inoffensive but look at those expressions. Doing the goddamn Dreamworks face.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

Imgur really is the slacktivists haven, isn't it? Just victimize yourself through a meme and get a bunch of likes. Then you can feel like you accomplished something when you didn't do jack poo poo to solve the problem. There's no spreading awareness within a circlejerk.

And to top it off, if you actually look at the numbers in detail it turns out the issue is really not nearly dramatic as they make it out to be. While custody is more commonly awarded to mothers, that is mostly because in many of those cases the mother is the only one actually seeking custody while the fathers freely give it up. If you actually look at cases where both parties seek exclusive or joint custody, the split tends to work out to pretty much 50/50.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Picnic Princess posted:

Just victimize yourself through a meme and get a bunch of likes. Then you can feel like you accomplished something when you didn't do jack poo poo to solve the problem. There's no spreading awareness within a circlejerk.

Hello, you rang ? :wink:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fathis Munk posted:

Hello, you rang ? :wink:

I got no problem with this one. Thats a lot for a young 20 year old to deal with. Thats a lot for anyone to deal with. Marriages of 30+ year have been broken up by strokes. Now making a sad bear meme about it seems pretty stupid, but if this is the only way for them to finally get their fear of failure/cowardice off their chest then whatever.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Now making a sad bear meme about it seems pretty stupid, but if this is the only way for them to finally get their fear of failure/cowardice off their chest then whatever.

Yeah that's the reason I put it here. Making a loving confession bear même out of this is just weird and smells of :happened:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
It's really weird putting sad and heavy emotional poo poo into memes... Like, you can feel something when you read it (the suicide thing, this guy's stroke bullshit), but then you remember you're reading a meme or a tumblr screenshot and switch tabs to that cute puppy tilting his head to some music. I can't wait to see this new internet generation grow up. I thought being the first generation on the internet would gently caress my peers up, but we have nothing on these kids, the internet really does just keep getting worse. And not in a good way.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Totally willing to believe that's real. People in general are loving terrible at talking honestly about trauma they've suffered. It often comes out as weird over-shares at strange times.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RizieN posted:

I thought being the first generation on the internet would gently caress my peers up, but we have nothing on these kids, the internet really does just keep getting worse. And not in a good way.

Nah, this is just old-man get off my lawn bullshit. The internet has always been the cesspit it is, there are just more people rolling around in it these days.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Phlegmish posted:

He didn't just have Legos, man, he had licensed property Legos. That's the most mature kind of Lego!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So was the stuff about Rev. Jackson from last page true? I barely know who the guy is, not being American, but I'm curious.

RizieN posted:

It's really weird putting sad and heavy emotional poo poo into memes... Like, you can feel something when you read it (the suicide thing, this guy's stroke bullshit), but then you remember you're reading a meme or a tumblr screenshot and switch tabs to that cute puppy tilting his head to some music. I can't wait to see this new internet generation grow up. I thought being the first generation on the internet would gently caress my peers up, but we have nothing on these kids, the internet really does just keep getting worse. And not in a good way.

As... Opposed to getting worse in a good way?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

quote:

backstory; i met this girl online so yeah laugh it up, but i talked to her lets say every other day for 9 years, so wasnt like i jumped the gun here, hell i met her when i was still in high school and it took till i was 25 to actually go see her. Now i wasnt sure what to expect, hell i just wanted to see her in person instead of worlds on a screen, and she was just as beautiful as the pictures she had sent me so i was a bit surprised to be honest. spent a week with her, and during that week i think i talked to her mother and little sister more then her. not for lack of trying mind you, she just spent 80% of her time shoulder deep in her phone and when i tryed to talk to start a conversation i had to repeat myself 3 or 4 times before getting a one or two word grunt as a responce, stopped trying to talk after a while. now that im back home i cant manage to say "i like you, i really do, but i dont think we should have ever met, im sorry for the trouble i caused you, but i think it would be for the best if we stopped talking" i know i soulnd like the bad guy here but i spent nearly $1400 to be ignored, when i could have stayed home and been ignored by people for free.

tl;dr:
spent $1400 to be ignored for a week by a girl i thought i loved

also dead account made just for this post so message away just dont expect a reply

Affe mk2
Mar 9, 2004

Chicks dig giant robots

RizieN posted:

It's really weird putting sad and heavy emotional poo poo into memes...

My favorite is when they post heavy emotional poo poo to a series of cutesy gifs.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
It's not real emotion unless you can express it in doctor_who_crying_in_the_rain.gif

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Whenever that puffin shows up, you know it's probably going to racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The puffin is the scapegoat of the world. It bears the weight of the sexual frustration and bigoted fury of a hundred thousand neckbeards.

• Locked thread