Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MicrowavesMom
Feb 27, 2015

Are these boys really your friends?
I watched Trainwreck, and once again it's not really the movie that was promised. Much like Bridesmaids, the trailers told us we would get a non-stop party/jokefest but what we got was a learning/growing movie about people cleaning up their act and, as always, "coming to terms with things". What other movies have there been when the trailers and the buzz are suggesting a movie that just doesn't happen?

On this movie itself, I found it was a major disappointment, I like Amy Schumer and she's at the top of her game right now, but it seems like she was dropped right into Rich White People movie #732. Makes it even more surprising that she wrote it herself, there were so many flat endings of scenes where there should have been a joke, or anything other than Amy looking sad.

"Muscle dude is really gay" is such a played-out joke that not even John Cena can sell it. There was no chemistry between the leads and the end was so quick and pointless that it was a surprise to see the credits.

There was probably one of the worst, misdirected and unfunny jokes I've ever heard, said by Amy's boss (Tilda Swinton, no less) who said "I've slept with 3 quarters of Pink Floyd. Saw the dark side of their moons...." BOOOOO! Also, a woman who's not on the pension talking about having sex with a band that broke up in 1983 whaa? At least say Oasis or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Didn't people criticize The Break-Up on release because they were expecting an Old School/40YO Virgin style of comedy and it turned out to be a darker comedy?

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Drive and Spring Breakers were both marketed as non-stop action thrillers but they're a lot more arty and weird.

Even the trailers for Nightcrawler had a big emphasis on the fast car chase parts (which are a tiny portion of the movie).

Not sure if this is better or worse than the trend of spoiling the entire arc of the movie in the trailer.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I guess the classic example is Kangaroo Jack, where the trailer suggested there would be a sass-talking kangaroo featuring heavily, but really was confined to a short dream sequence.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think Schumer needed some help writing this. A lot of the jokes were great but a good number were setup and told in a very 'stand-up comedy' manner. Needed some fine tuning.

MicrowavesMom
Feb 27, 2015

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think Schumer needed some help writing this. A lot of the jokes were great but a good number were setup and told in a very 'stand-up comedy' manner. Needed some fine tuning.

True, I think she has a distinctive style, that could have run all the way through it rather than being pushed away once there was "acting" to be done.

How can it be a Judd Apatow movie and not have Leslie Mann in it, with the customary comments about how hot she is?? Good to see he used his old standby, the pointless and petty argument which breaks up the couple for a little while.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My biggest complaint: Danny McBride was on one of the magazine covers but didn't actually show up in the movie. I'd love to see McBride and Schumer trade barbs.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I didn't really know who Schumer was watching this, but I think the best parts of the movie were Bill Hader and Lebron. Or just Bill Hader in general. He was funny without being unnecessarily mean.

And I don't know why, but his string of "gently caress you"'s to Lebron when they tried to split the check on their lunches was pretty hilarious.

All said, it was an okay movie but not memorable outside of what I just wrote above.

MicrowavesMom
Feb 27, 2015

Drifter posted:

the best parts of the movie were Bill Hader and Lebron.

The Lebron thing really loses a lot when this movie plays in non-Lebron-worshipping countries.

More than anything it made me think of The Love Guru where the story hinges on the rehabilitation of a sports star.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Chrpno posted:

I guess the classic example is Kangaroo Jack, where the trailer suggested there would be a sass-talking kangaroo featuring heavily, but really was confined to a short dream sequence.

That must have been a short trend in early 2000s animal comedies, the same thing happened with Cuba Gooding Jr's Snow Dogs.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

That must have been a short trend in early 2000s animal comedies, the same thing happened with Cuba Gooding Jr's Snow Dogs.

Maybe that's the one I'm thinking of? I'm not looking it up

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MicrowavesMom posted:

The Lebron thing really loses a lot when this movie plays in non-Lebron-worshipping countries.

More than anything it made me think of The Love Guru where the story hinges on the rehabilitation of a sports star.

I don't watch basketball, so the character could have been anyone, but I thought the overcaring auntie friend that he played was fun. Especially in that one scene.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Chrpno posted:

Maybe that's the one I'm thinking of? I'm not looking it up

No it happened in both. I remember both films having ads that promised wacky talking animal adventures. Here's Snow Dogs and Kangaroo Jack

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Click got pretty dark towards the end, I don't think too many Sandler fans saw that coming.

Cabin in the Woods was great but none of my friends would watch it as they'd seen the trailer and hate horror movies.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

jet sanchEz posted:

Click got pretty dark towards the end, I don't think too many Sandler fans saw that coming.

True, I expected it to be all slow motion bouncing boobies and fast-forwarding the nagging wife. Kinda

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Dr. Hurt posted:

No it happened in both. I remember both films having ads that promised wacky talking animal adventures. Here's Snow Dogs and Kangaroo Jack

I watched Kangaroo Jack with my kids, who were fairly young at the time. I thought it was going to be a stupid goofy animal movie, I ended up wondering how the hell the movie was able to get a PG rating since it's clearly aimed toward adults.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The Prometheus movie trailer showed a horror movie, the actual movie was a man vs nature flick.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

The Fury Road trailer showed a bunch of explosions and car chases and what we really got was a bunch of feminism and car chases and explosions

edit: this post is a joke

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Senf posted:

The Fury Road trailer showed a bunch of explosions and car chases and what we really got was a bunch of feminism and car chases and explosions

edit: this post is a joke

This is not a joke, but I went into Fury Road expecting nothing but car chases and explosions, so when the bikini babes popped out of the floor of Charlize Theron's truck, I thought to myself "gently caress yeah!"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

I love Amy Schumer but it definitely showed that she went from having written nothing but two minute skits for her show to a full two hour screenplay.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011
Two that spring to mind that I've seen recently are 'As above, so below' and 'Nightcrawler'; the latter was significantly better than the former with As above actually not as terrible as billed.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The one that springs immediately to mind is The Last Action Hero, which the ads and previews billed as a straight-up Schwarzenegger-shooting-things movie, but was actually a carefully-constructed parody of all actioners.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Madurai posted:

The one that springs immediately to mind is The Last Action Hero, which the ads and previews billed as a straight-up Schwarzenegger-shooting-things movie, but was actually a carefully-constructed parody of all actioners.

Nobody was disappointed by Last Action Hero, were they? I mean, the first twenty seconds of the trailer to that movie was Arnie doing a Macbeth parody.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LeBron was the best thing about this movie. That cold, dead-eyed gaze he gave Schumer was hilarious. Already proven himself to be a better actor than Michael Jordan, so I hope Space Jam 2 becomes a real thing.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Drifter posted:

Nobody was disappointed by Last Action Hero, were they? I mean, the first twenty seconds of the trailer to that movie was Arnie doing a Macbeth parody.

I'm pretty sure nobody went to see it to be disappointed. My father took me Saturday morning, the opening weekend, and the theater was completely empty.

It is a great movie though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Almost nobody goes to morning showings of anything, unless it's one of those cultural touchstone megaevents, and there are so very few of those.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

ruby idiot railed posted:

Almost nobody goes to morning showings of anything, unless it's one of those cultural touchstone megaevents, and there are so very few of those.

Sorry to derail, but growing up I always went to Saturday morning shows with my family.

There's a reason why after 20 years only "Last Action Hero" stands out in my mind by how empty it was.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

It probably had more to do with Jurassic Park coming out the week before.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Its not really misdirection because it couldn't have really been marketed any other way but I've never had a quicker emotional turn around than the first time I sat down to watch Up expecting a nice, happy, sweet animation, the opening ten minutes sent me to the opposite end pretty quickly.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I hate it when movies aren't just a string of jokes and instead have things like characters and story arcs and poo poo.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
In the decade-and-a-half since I first saw the movie, I think I've met like, one other person in the entire world who agreed with me that The Thing (1982) doesn't really match its given premise.

The threat the characters face resembles less a singular shapeshifting alien imitating the humans but rather a sentient cancerous biomass that infects victims and explodes in grisly mutations in order to spread. It's a disease rather than a creature.

I mean, I suppose the threat certainly is alien, and it sure does shift its shape (and definitely qualifies as a "thing"); it just wasn't the movie I came in to see. I remember being confused when the characters torched the dog-thing and then continued to express paranoia over "which one of us is the thing!" I was thinking, "Er, I thought you just killed it."

I spent the rest of the movie trying to reconcile the events on screen with my deepest assumption of what the movie was about, and got in the way of my being able to appreciate what is, on its own, a very well-made and effective horror movie.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

lizardman posted:

In the decade-and-a-half since I first saw the movie, I think I've met like, one other person in the entire world who agreed with me that The Thing (1982) doesn't really match its given premise.

The threat the characters face resembles less a singular shapeshifting alien imitating the humans but rather a sentient cancerous biomass that infects victims and explodes in grisly mutations in order to spread. It's a disease rather than a creature.

I mean, I suppose the threat certainly is alien, and it sure does shift its shape (and definitely qualifies as a "thing"); it just wasn't the movie I came in to see. I remember being confused when the characters torched the dog-thing and then continued to express paranoia over "which one of us is the thing!" I was thinking, "Er, I thought you just killed it."

I spent the rest of the movie trying to reconcile the events on screen with my deepest assumption of what the movie was about, and got in the way of my being able to appreciate what is, on its own, a very well-made and effective horror movie.

I liked it when they used flamethrowers.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I don't necessarily think Trainwreck's jokes were the issue. I thought the plot and characters were pretty depressing and constantly fighting the individual jokes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Obligatory "Bridge to Terabithia" post.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Trainwreck had a lot more drama and depressing bits than the trailers let on which stuck with me more than any funny bits I can remember. The trailers (and even the poster with Schumer gesturing "hold up" while drinking from a bottle with Bill Hader looking stunned in the back) made it look like this movie was going to be about Schumer doing crazy, drunken stuff while Hader desperately tries to maintain control of the relationship. Instead we got a movie where Schumer has serious but sympathetic character flaws and the film turns rom-coms around by having the woman get better for her man in a melodramatic way complete with the "I'm sorry" scene in the end where they get together. Along the way we get depressing bits like Colin Quinn in the assisted living home. I wouldn't call it a bad movie, it's flawed because you have classic gross-out jokes like Ezra Miller's sex scene then all of a sudden - bam, death scene. The script needed to find a better balance between comedy and drama which even 40-Year Old Virgin did quite well.

Also, I live in an area where basketball isn't popular and I doubt anyone here hasn't heard of LeBron James. He's one of those athletes people are at least aware of and all one needs to know is he's the best player in the game right now (cue LeBron haters jumping on my throat) and the comedy is easy to understand. He did really well, he played off Hader good enough and had some funny bits.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I find that increasingly when I go to movies there is a distinct lack of Harry Dean Stanton. This means that more often than not, I'm throwing up my hands and walking out of most movies near the end, shouting "WHAT THE gently caress NO HARRY DEAN STANTON".

The first Avengers movie though -- that was good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

At the time Last Action Hero was perceived as a major misstep by Arnold and a commercial failure. I'm sure it made plenty of money but just not as much as T2 I guess. There were a shitload of young kids and dumb adults who saw it without realizing it was a parody and left the theatre still not realizing it was a parody. This was a time where you really needed to be clear that your movie is a parody, like if it didn't have Leslie Neilson in it people were going to be confused.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Basebf555 posted:

At the time Last Action Hero was perceived as a major misstep by Arnold and a commercial failure. I'm sure it made plenty of money but just not as much as T2 I guess. There were a shitload of young kids and dumb adults who saw it without realizing it was a parody and left the theatre still not realizing it was a parody. This was a time where you really needed to be clear that your movie is a parody, like if it didn't have Leslie Neilson in it people were going to be confused.

Its real problem was that it came out a week after Jurassic Park

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I'm having a hard time imagining people watching Last Action Hero, seeing Danny DeVito that talking cartoon detective cat, and still not realizing that maybe the movie is goofing around a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, it's not like today where people are so enlightened and understand the complexity of parody.

• Locked thread