Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

much like Granite his poll numbers don't change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

O'Malley is next

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

quote:

It was not a recipe for a successful term. Chafee, who took office near the end of the Great Recession, was a distant and unpopular governor, deciding against reelection after polling showed him losing to any serious candidate. His exit from the political scene was welcomed; his decision to run for president inspired a baffled editorial from Rhode Island's biggest newspaper.

"His administration was marked by his persistent refusal to understand or address the state’s economic problems; a bizarre crusade against the use of the words “Christmas tree” to describe the state’s Christmas tree; prickly denunciations of people who challenged his policies; his hustling of a top aide, Richard Licht, into a judgeship, in violation of the spirit of the state’s revolving-door law; and a series of actions that seemed designed only to make life harder for the state’s struggling middle class," wrote the Providence Journal. "The idea that such a dismal record in an executive position would be a recommendation for the presidency (of the United States!) seems preposterous."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

Was Chaffee in charge when RI loaned 38 Studios a truck load of money to convince them to move to Providence and then they went bankrupt?

That was a really hilarious story.

MLB player got obsessed with MMOs and convinced the state to give him money to make a game, even though he had no previous business/software experience.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

drat I wish I could essentially steal millions from a state government.

It was 75 million too.

The total cost to the state for the bond money and interest to fund the studio was $116 million.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

dude went totally broke cause when rhode island wouldnt bail him out he spent his personal fortune to finish the game and turn it into a second rate single player rpg. it was released at the same time as skyrim. and the rest is dust in the wind

Yeah Schilling lost 30 million of his own money, while RI is now on the hook for $116 million when you factor in all the bond interest payments.

etalian has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Oct 23, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think they screwed over their employees too by trying make them replay their relocation packages

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

oystertoadfish posted:

I love Photoshop or photographers or whoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

oystertoadfish posted:

cool picture thanks for that (not ironic) i was guessing they didnt set up a rhode island podium in the arizona desert so chafee could gloat and that that was photoshopped into it but iono

This gave me the funny mental image of Chafee preaching the glories of the metric system from a lonely desert pulpit.

The real highway story is for some reason the arizona contract for the highway required metric signs.

• Locked thread